2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

It still cracks me up that so many Astros fans got so bent out of shape over Straw getting traded when he was just getting in the way of two outfielders with a similar floor as his but much higher ceilings because they can actually hit home runs. 

I like Straw but he's another Willy Taveras in CF. 

Not even...Taveras was a better baserunner and fielder. Straw is better at the plate but not by much. 

10 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

lol the Astros farm gets consistently ranked in the bottom 10 and it’s produced McCormick and Meyers this season with Hunter Brown, Leon, and Lee waiting in the wings. 

Not too mention that Whitley was a Top 10 prospect, while Javier, Framber, Urquidy, and Garcia were never on a Top 100 list.

• Like 1

I believe in Brooks Raley, I own it. He's a decent reliever who has been the victim of shitty luck and also constantly put in bad situations by Baker because of the overall suckiness of the bullpen in the first half of the season. He is a good middle of the game bridge but he must come in to start an inning or with no runners on base. 

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Not too mention that Whitley was a Top 10 prospect, while Javier, Framber, Urquidy, and Garcia were never on a Top 100 list.

Yeah, there’s a lot of bandwagoning in evaluating prospects and if you don’t have the right pedigree when drafted it can be very hard to play your way into top prospect status. 

Just now, TonyTexas said:

Gourmand tonight

BCF64FFA-0543-49A7-8767-EA51DFBB117F.gif

Ha, damn straight. 

I've been singing about Meyers for a while from watching him earlier this season in person and on milb.tv.  I'm no scout but his skill and athleticism stood out and he was always hitting the ball hard and making great plays in the outfield. We were all sucking Siri's dick hard at the beginning of the year and Jake Meyers just kept hitting and hitting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I believe in Brooks Raley, I own it. He's a decent reliever who has been the victim of shitty luck and also constantly put in bad situations by Baker because of the overall suckiness of the bullpen in the first half of the season. He is a good middle of the game bridge but he must come in to start an inning or with no runners on base. 

He’s been hit pretty hard too so I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily bad luck but I also wouldn’t be surprised if he turns it around given the stuff still appears intact and pitcher quality of contact is pretty volatile. 

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I've written Whitley off at this point, but if he comes back and proves worthy of his previous hype, that would be awesome. 

Just now, Gourmand said:

I've written Whitley off at this point, but if he comes back and proves worthy of his previous hype, that would be awesome. 

Obviously trading him at this point would be bring back nothing in terms of what trading him 2 years ago could have gotten the Astros, but he's likely a guy that is going to need a change of organizations to realize his potential.

1 minute ago, Starfleet Command said:

He’s been hit pretty hard too so I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily bad luck but I also wouldn’t be surprised if he turns it around given the stuff still appears intact and pitcher quality of contact is pretty volatile. 

No he hasn't, his statcast exit velo is stlll top 1% in MLB. It's just that one of those hits he gave up recently was a bomb with the bases loaded iirc. 

46 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Yeah, there’s a lot of bandwagoning in evaluating prospects and if you don’t have the right pedigree when drafted it can be very hard to play your way into top prospect status. 

with a system like the astros, all you have is pedigree if you're going to be ranked high by the services.  the only other proving metric is statistics, which gets you brought up to the majors. 

we had a great system because we had tucker and yordan tearing shit up in the minors.  we brought them up, and now our system is "weak" or "depleted".  same with our recent run of starting pitchers.  rather have a great young team than a highly ranked system.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

sidenote - i noticed before the angels series that we had to go 32-16 (.667) to win 100 games to become the first team ever to do it 4 consecutive (qualifying) seasons.

now 30-16.  let's fucking go.

Another game with LAA and then four at KC. Let's fucking go indeed.

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

sidenote - i noticed before the angels series that we had to go 32-16 (.667) to win 100 games to become the first team ever to do it 4 consecutive (qualifying) seasons.

10 of the next 14 against royals and rangers.

time to start crushing bad teams 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Just a matter of time?  Were we supposed to be worried because he started out 2 for 10 before last night?  That it took him until his 2nd career start to have a 2 homer game?

Edited by WBT

9 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

30 of the of the final 46 are against the AL West which we absolutely own. Our winning % against the division is around .667 over the last 5 seasons. Of the remaining 16 games, 10 are against KC and Arizona. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Just a matter of time?  Were we supposed to be worried because he started out 2 for 10 before last night?  That it took him until his 2nd career start to have a 2 homer game?

Yeah very bizarre comment

He would have flipped his lid if he had been around for Tucker’s first month 

17 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

30 of the of the final 46 are against the AL West which we absolutely own. Our winning % against the division is around .667 over the last 5 seasons. Of the remaining 16 games, 10 are against KC and Arizona. 

I’m that case, why stop at 100 wins.

38-8 needed to break the franchise record

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Yeah very bizarre comment

He would have flipped his lid if he had been around for Tucker’s first month 

Some of the comments that come out of Baker's mouth are odd but I think often it's a case of missing context/tone of voice that doesn't carry over into a tweet quote. 

Chandler Rome was making hay yesterday about Dusty calling Meyers "high strung" or whatever. I didn't hear the full exchange and looked for it but couldn't find it, so it makes you slightly curious is Rome is just stirring shit up because of Baker's off-the-cuff manager talk. 

Here's more Dusty on Meyers:

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 1

Dusty prior to Wednesday's game when Meyers made his first start in RF for Tucker....

Spoiler

“Straw wasn’t traded for (Meyers) to be put in center. Straw was traded because McCormick was playing center,” Baker said. “Then McCormick is going to go, ‘How come I’m not in center when I was taking over for Straw?’ You have to kind of play the psychological part of this game, which most people don’t understand. But I understand ballplayers probably better than anybody from being one to having one to being around these guys. You've got to show a certain amount of confidence in McCormick because he feels that he’s a regular.” 

“He (McCormick) tries hard, he’s taking better routes,” Baker said. “I still think he’s a better corner man, but a lot of guys around the league are in different positions because of need. We need his bat in there, also we need his defense, but he’s getting better.” 

Meyers was called up from Class AAA Sugar Land on July 31 and made his big-league debut for the Astros the following day in a 5-3 loss in San Francisco. He recorded his first major-league hit Sunday in the Astros’ 7-5 loss to the Twins, in which he went 1-for-3 with a double, run and a walk after replacing Michael Brantley, who was lifted after a collision at second base.  

“You fit in where you get in. You've got to await your opportunity,” Baker said of Meyers. “He’s come a long ways. I liked him when I first saw him in spring training a couple years ago. He kind of changed some things then changed back to himself. He’s a fine young man. He stays ready.”

“This ain’t no tryout, man,” Baker said. “We're going for the pennant.”

Dusty Baker doesn't have an AJ Hinch filter, that's for sure.