2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

stir it up post : trade one of our back end arms for a prospect / prospects

playoffs starters : grienke, valdez, LMJ, urquiady

playoff bullpen : javier, garcia, ozzi, raley, stanek, bielak, taylor, stanek or garza

emmanaul, ivey, scrubb, martes, james, paredes, rodriquez, smith, baez - some are hurt, no one will get much but move some dead weight if you can 

51 minutes ago, Scraps said:

So i am only like half being serious and half joking when I post that, but i decided to look more into it to see what time frames have happened in the past.

So obviously every person is different. One thing JV has against him compared to most of these other guys i see at "fastest recovery" is age of course.

As of today JV is 266 days removed from surgery. The top ten fastest guys in the past 15 years have been from 262 days to about 319(Who was a 40 yr old). Sept 1st would be 336 days.

Plus he would be coming out of the bullpen, which would help ease the workload on his elbow. Dusty will just have to change his way of managing the bullpen with Verlander. If he gets Justin hot, Justin is coming into the game.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The guy that makes the most sense would be the closer from the Pirates. Making $1.7M 2 more years of team control after this season, for his age 31 and 32 seasons, but he's probably getting a huge ass raise in ARB after this season. What I like the most about him 3 BBs in 29.1 IP. About the opposite of most of our bullpen.

they'll want a premium for him and i am 100% against trading any of our young arms 

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

So i am only like half being serious and half joking when I post that, but i decided to look more into it to see what time frames have happened in the past.

So obviously every person is different. One thing JV has against him compared to most of these other guys i see at "fastest recovery" is age of course.

As of today JV is 266 days removed from surgery. The top ten fastest guys in the past 15 years have been from 262 days to about 319(Who was a 40 yr old). Sept 1st would be 336 days.

So what I hear you saying, and what I've always believed, is that if JV isn't back for the playoffs its b/c he's a pussy or b/c Crane sucks and is cheap (JV pitching at all might void some of that sweet sweet sweet insurance cash he's got coming in if he insured the injury). 

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So what I hear you saying, and what I've always believed, is that if JV isn't back for the playoffs its b/c he's a pussy or b/c Crane sucks and is cheap (JV pitching at all might void some of that sweet sweet sweet insurance cash he's got coming in if he insured the injury). 

WTF

49 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

stir it up post : trade one of our back end arms for a prospect / prospects

playoffs starters : grienke, valdez, LMJ, urquiady

playoff bullpen : javier, garcia, ozzi, raley, stanek, bielak, taylor, stanek or garza

emmanaul, ivey, scrubb, martes, james, paredes, rodriquez, smith, baez - some are hurt, no one will get much but move some dead weight if you can 

I hadn't considered this until your post, but Odorizzi could potentially be one of, if not THE, best SP on the market at the deadline if we chose to shop him.  My gut is always against trading talented arms before a playoff race, but if an NL team gets desperate with prospects it might be worth listening.  (I reserve the right to say this is a stupid opinion if he keeps pitching like he did on Monday.)

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

His arm could be completely healed in time, but I don't think he will have time to get it in good enough shape to pitch.

For clarification -  These guys on this list are time frame to back as active players.  

Edited by Scraps

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If the Astros claimed Verlander on insurance, he wouldn't pitch at all for the Astros.

38 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I hadn't considered this until your post, but Odorizzi could potentially be one of, if not THE, best SP on the market at the deadline if we chose to shop him

Not a bad thought but it really depends on their stance on resigning JV or Greinke. It will be tough to make a judgement on JV before the trade deadline. Not sure about Greinke. Who knows what that weirdo wants to do. 

Edited by TonyTexas

Not a bad thought but it really depends on their stance on resigning JV or Greinke. It will be tough to make a judgement on JV before the trade deadline. Not sure about Greinke. Who knows what that weirdo wants to do. 

Yep. Obviously a lot of ball to be played this season that could impact these opinions, but where do we see him fitting in? Even if we lose JV and Greinke, do we trust Odorizzi over Framber, LMJ, Garcia, or Urquidy? I don’t, at this point, and do we really want $9M committed to our #5 starter considering our monetary needs elsewhere?

Again, this might be the dumbest hot take of all time if Odorizzi continues to improve, or one of the young arms comes back to earth. But an interesting thought experiment.

I think the bullpen needs another arm. Should be able to get something on the cheap. 
Trading for a center fielder would be a high price to pay for a guy that’s probably going to bat 8th. 
Pedro Pruitt is the x factor

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yep. Obviously a lot of ball to be played this season that could impact these opinions, but where do we see him fitting in? Even if we lose JV and Greinke, do we trust Odorizzi over Framber, LMJ, Garcia, or Urquidy? I don’t, at this point, and do we really want $9M committed to our #5 starter considering our monetary needs elsewhere?

Again, this might be the dumbest hot take of all time if Odorizzi continues to improve, or one of the young arms comes back to earth. But an interesting thought experiment.

You need 6+ starting pitchers to make it through a season. Odorizzi should not be traded away because he's still good and we have him on the cheap for another season.

You go into next year with Odorizzi, McCullers, Valdez, Garcia, Urquidy, and Javier as your rotation. You have a lot of money to spend to RESIGN Correa and shore up the bullpen.

You have $58M from Greinke and Verlander. Another 4 from Joe Smith. The only two ARB guys are Diaz and Stanek. Now 2023 is when shit hits the fan.