2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

loading the bases in 6/9 innings is a cool stat.  one i'd like to see us top.

yeah, but Fiers never wants to face the Orange Wagon...

IMG_4690-e1516152872107.jpg

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, texashorne said:

The key to this streak is not only the usual suspects... But Straw, Toro, and McCormack.. I'm just as confident in them as I am anyone else on the team right now when they step up to the plate..

Toro has been especially good.  In a small sample, he has more than made up for Bregman’s absence.  

7 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

He might be our full time 3rd baseman next year. 

Diaz would get the 1st shot at SS before Bregman. Toro is likely our future 1B. I'm beginning to see the value of transitioning 3B to 1B. The 3 best full time 1B in Astros history are Davis, Bagwell, and Yuli with the last 2 playing 3B for much of their pre MLB careers before moving across the diamond with the Astros.

34 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Diaz would get the 1st shot at SS before Bregman. Toro is likely our future 1B. I'm beginning to see the value of transitioning 3B to 1B. The 3 best full time 1B in Astros history are Davis, Bagwell, and Yuli with the last 2 playing 3B for much of their pre MLB careers before moving across the diamond with the Astros.

You really think so?  Seems right for Bregman to move to his natural position at SS and for Toro to stay in his natural position at 3B.  Diaz would still be in the same role as utility man.  If Toro was not a MLB 3B then I could see the move, but he looks the part so far.

15 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Bregman doesn't have great range at short.  There was a very noticeable dropoff when he slid over last year when Correa was hurt.

yeah, obviously every team is built differently, but i'm much more comfortable going old school and having a light hitting smooth glove man playing ss and hitting 8th than moving bregs over and hoping toro is a consistent mlb level hitting 3b.

we have been so fucking spoiled having arguably the best hitting infield of all time (if you don't count catcher) since ~2015.

i love diaz and we should be hurting a lot more because of his injury (clearly we're not), but i love him coming off the bench.  he can still start 3x a week and "come off the bench" because he can play anywhere.

i thought it was interesting when bagwell was talking about some of the best fielding first basemen, and how so many started at other positions (and could still play them).  yuli played a lot of 3b and 2b, and bags was a third baseman when he was drafted iirc.  obviously later in his career, bagwell couldn't even throw the ball, but early on there was nothing like bagwell charging a fucking bunt.  awesome.

yuli is anywhere from 35-65 years old and as far as i'm concerned, he's an astro until his fucking legs fall off.

as for correa, i try to live in reality and i know this shit doesn't matter, but man, he looks like he's having too much fun out there.  tuve, bregs, lmj, yordan, tucker, framber and the rest of the young guns in the rotation - they're all gonna be around and this is the only family he's ever known.  can we somehow convince him to sign a 4 year $125mm deal or something that overlaps with their contracts?  maybe with some options based on health/games played?  i know he wants 12-$300mm, and can probably get it, but unless you're buying an island, there's no difference in those two dollar amounts outside of ego.

it's been a weird season, but you could make a strong argument that correa has been our offensive mvp, and nobody is talking about it.  he's on pace for .300/30/100 and possibly his highest career ops (even in the crazy pitching year of 2021).  his obp is .400 wtf is happening.  and his glove/arm don't even need to enter the conversation.

rant over.  gonna suck if we can't play tonight.  double-headers are hard to sweep.

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

yeah, obviously every team is built differently, but i'm much more comfortable going old school and having a light hitting smooth glove man playing ss and hitting 8th than moving bregs over and hoping toro is a consistent mlb level hitting 3b.

we have been so fucking spoiled having arguably the best hitting infield of all time (if you don't count catcher) since ~2015.

i love diaz and we should be hurting a lot more because of his injury (clearly we're not), but i love him coming off the bench.  he can still start 3x a week and "come off the bench" because he can play anywhere.

i thought it was interesting when bagwell was talking about some of the best fielding first basemen, and how so many started at other positions (and could still play them).  yuli played a lot of 3b and 2b, and bags was a third baseman when he was drafted iirc.  obviously later in his career, bagwell couldn't even throw the ball, but early on there was nothing like bagwell charging a fucking bunt.  awesome.

yuli is anywhere from 35-65 years old and as far as i'm concerned, he's an astro until his fucking legs fall off.

as for correa, i try to live in reality and i know this shit doesn't matter, but man, he looks like he's having too much fun out there.  tuve, bregs, lmj, yordan, tucker, framber and the rest of the young guns in the rotation - they're all gonna be around and this is the only family he's ever known.  can we somehow convince him to sign a 4 year $125mm deal or something that overlaps with their contracts?  maybe with some options based on health/games played?  i know he wants 12-$300mm, and can probably get it, but unless you're buying an island, there's no difference in those two dollar amounts outside of ego.

it's been a weird season, but you could make a strong argument that correa has been our offensive mvp, and nobody is talking about it.  he's on pace for .300/30/100 and possibly his highest career ops (even in the crazy pitching year of 2021).  his obp is .400 wtf is happening.  and his glove/arm don't even need to enter the conversation.

rant over.  gonna suck if we can't play tonight.  double-headers are hard to sweep.

I've beat on this drum a lot, but if you move Bregman to short and Toro to 3rd, you get worse defensively at both spots.  It's a bad idea to fuck up a really,really good defensive infield.  The simple answer is to pay Correa whatever he wants and keep the train rolling.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1