2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

6 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Not entirely certain about a pitching change right here

I was laughing at how many managers Grienke might have just waved off before that walk to the mound.  LOLz.  You just wonder how Dusty verbalizes it.

Grienke looked pretty pumped after Raley's finish.

33 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Also- last inning is why it’s fucking stupid to hit Robles 2nd. Seriously wtf Dusty. 

yeah, he does this shit a lot.  just because someone is playing for a starter, doesn't mean you just swap them out.  we're a lot more dangerous when we stack our good players together.  even if it means every other inning is a joke.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

he's never been not good as an Astro, he's just been very unlucky and also been the victim of shitty relief behind him

That ERA didn't swell early in the season because of any of that.  He has recovered and worked his ass off, for sure.

It was anything but definite early on...  then he starting getting filthyAF with his slider, and hitters started wilting.

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

yeah, he does this shit a lot.  just because someone is playing for a starter, doesn't mean you just swap them out.  we're a lot more dangerous when we stack our good players together.  even if it means every other inning is a joke.

Garcia is a fastball hitter with pop...i get why Dusty squeezed him in the two hole between Altuve and Brantley

On 4/21/2021 at 5:08 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

Again I’ll say it, after the 6-1 start I seriously was thinking this was gonna be the year we see the Astros dominate. Holy fuck is there a quicker collapse to absolute dog shit than this? I mean I guess it’s better than waiting till august to choke and just get it over with faster and hopefully I can look back on this post and laugh when we turn it around.

also if there is no place to trade Correa because no one needs a SS then how will he sign with anyone in the off season? If he’s a superstar then he’s a top 3 SS in baseball and would be easily desired for a team wanting to get over the hump I would assume.

Update?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/21/2021 at 6:19 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

Not sure if we'll be over .500 again this season. This is dire

On 4/21/2021 at 8:36 PM, Mez2 said:

This team sucks 

On 4/21/2021 at 10:56 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say this team will win the division. And by go out on a limb I’m not going out on a limb. It’s baseball. Guess who else is winning their division?  The Yanks. 

My man!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m starting to believe the Yanks might not win their division. But maybe they will. Gun to my head I have them in the playoffs. 
but yeah- this Houston thing should be a surprise to nobody who has ever followed them. 

they lost another cole day. and he did not look particularly sharp. 

it’s not that they’re playing badly, or even banged up. they’re just not very good. 

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Their bullpen is still elite, but their starting pitching outside of Cole is awful. Not too mention Odor getting the majority of the starts at 2nd after the Rangers said, yeah, he sucks too much even for us.

thats a real shame

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do the Stros make any moves at the deadline this year?  If so, what?  The way they are playing right now I would hate to give up any future potential to plug holes that don't exist.  Early in the season I would have said we needed a center fielder who can hit.  But with Straw hitting over .250 and driving in runs to win games and shit, I'm not sure we even need to do that.  Quality bullpen arm?  Scherzer on a postseason rental in the last year of his deal?

I can't imagine we make any trades with our money situation being what it is. We'd have to trade out money, which would mean big league talent, which is counterproductive to what we need as it would be springing a hole elsewhere.  

I think we are fine btw.  I've always had this as a 100 win team that lacks the top end star power in the rotation to be favored to win it all- but it's post season so we could always get lucky as long as we have a chip and a chair, so to speak.  

This team doesn't remind me of 2019 which was just fucking sick and the best team I will likely ever root for and they still didn't get it done. It's got much more of a 17 or 18 vibe to me- we are good. We know we are good.  We aren't the favorites but we could definitely win it all.  

Yeah his name is Justin Verlander. September addition just like 2017
So i am only like half being serious and half joking when I post that, but i decided to look more into it to see what time frames have happened in the past.

So obviously every person is different. One thing JV has against him compared to most of these other guys i see at "fastest recovery" is age of course.

As of today JV is 266 days removed from surgery. The top ten fastest guys in the past 15 years have been from 262 days to about 319(Who was a 40 yr old). Sept 1st would be 336 days.

44 minutes ago, Scraps said:

So i am only like half being serious and half joking when I post that, but i decided to look more into it to see what time frames have happened in the past.

So obviously every person is different. One thing JV has against him compared to most of these other guys i see at "fastest recovery" is age of course.

As of today JV is 266 days removed from surgery. The top ten fastest guys in the past 15 years have been from 262 days to about 319(Who was a 40 yr old). Sept 1st would be 336 days.

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

3 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

I have no clue if there is anyone out there, but a true, dominant closer would be a nice addition.  I like Pressley, and I think he does a good job, but he's always felt like a perfect 8th inning guy.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I was asking myself this same question about possible trade deadline moves.

The guy that makes the most sense would be the closer from the Pirates. Making $1.7M 2 more years of team control after this season, for his age 31 and 32 seasons, but he's probably getting a huge ass raise in ARB after this season. What I like the most about him 3 BBs in 29.1 IP. About the opposite of most of our bullpen. But like others have said if Verlander can come back and pitch out of the bullpen in any capacity then you don't need him.