Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

13 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

One of our top targets off the board.

Elmarko was not/is not the top of our board

Gerry a month ago

I think Texas takes 4 HS prospects, unless Beard determines to stretch it to 5. That's not his M.O. with the portal and wanting to marry experience with very talented freshmen, but we shall see.

I'll go somewhat conservative on guys as visits are still ongoing ...
    Ron Holland - 53%
    AJ Johnson - 52%
    Andrej Stojakovic - 50%
    Samson Aletan - 50%
    Wesley Yates - 50%
    Elmarko Jackson - 33%

Percentages aside, Gerry's list is our current hs prospect board. 

We didn't offer any true PGs. AJ Johnson is the clear preference, and we are positioned better in that recruitment anyway. Not to say they wouldn't have taken Jackson's commitment, I don't know that, but that Johnson fills the same need as a likely two year player. 

I will be curious to see what they do if we miss on baby Peja. There were recent notes about select family pushing for Stanford (local, sister vball, etc) and if they win out, I would assume we hold on a hs SF until '24, but they also have Malik Presley visiting this weekend, so who knows. 

https://247sports.com/Player/AJ-Johnson-46114381/

https://247sports.com/Player/Andrej-Stojakovic-46117544/

https://247sports.com/player/malik-presley-46103342/

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Gerry a month ago

We didn't offer any true PGs. AJ Johnson is the clear preference, and we are positioned better in that recruitment anyway. Not to say they wouldn't have taken Jackson's commitment, I don't know that, but that Johnson fills the same need as a likely two year player. 

My post said one of the top targets not the top target. Relax.

That percentage list only had six players on it, and Gerry himself posted later that we were no longer pursuing Yates.

So that brings it down to 5 guys. All of them would qualify as one of our top targets in a class where we’re expected to take 3 or 4.

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Gerry a month ago

I will be curious to see what they do if we miss on baby Peja. There were recent notes about select family pushing for Stanford (local, sister vball, etc) and if they win out, I would assume we hold on a hs SF until '24, but they also have Malik Presley visiting this weekend, so who knows. 

https://247sports.com/Player/AJ-Johnson-46114381/

https://247sports.com/Player/Andrej-Stojakovic-46117544/

https://247sports.com/player/malik-presley-46103342/

Texas wants 4 HS kids in this class. Elmarko was one of those 4, to say he wasn't at the top of the board, because Texas wants Johnson and Stojakovic, is a little disingenuous. 

If Texas hits on Holland, Johnson, and Stojakovic no one is going to care about Elmarko committing to Kansas. Gives Texas a chance to have a more balanced class, especially if they can get the post guy Sampson is after as well.

Edited by HtownHorn

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Texas wants 4 HS kids in this class. Elmarko was one of those 4, to say he wasn't at the top of the board, because Texas wants Johnson and Stojakovic, is a little disingenuous. 

If Texas hits on Holland, Johnson, and Stojakovic no one is going to care about Elmarko committing to Kansas. Gives Texas a chance to have a more balanced class, especially if they can get the post guy Sampson is after as well.

My only point was that the handwringing throughout this page is pre-emptive at best as we're still in good shape to close a full class of priority hs targets. A point specific player doesn't do as much to fill the guard dearth in '24, and maybe I'm overly optimistic on Johnson and Stojakovic, but losing Elmarko to Kansas feels like a big 'meh' to me. 

15 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

My only point was that the handwringing throughout this page is pre-emptive at best as we're still in good shape to close a full class of priority hs targets. A point specific player doesn't do as much to fill the guard dearth in '24, and maybe I'm overly optimistic on Johnson and Stojakovic, but losing Elmarko to Kansas feels like a big 'meh' to me. 

Nobody is handwringing, you’re just being weirdly defensive.

This is a pretty chill thread, especially since Beard took over.

3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Nobody is handwringing, you’re just being weirdly defensive.

This is a pretty chill thread, especially since Beard took over.

All good here, man. I was referring to this handwringing:

16 hours ago, justhookit said:

I don’t think we were ever really in that one.

15 hours ago, justhookit said:

He wasn’t ever coming here.

13 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

This one was over before it was over. 

4 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Kansas is hard to beat right now with their history and recent championship. Also last I heard their NIL minimum was 10k/month

If I'm defensive for calling out doom posting, so be it. 

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Some think that recruitocosm tweet had to do with him maybe committing/

B4E7D019-BF13-4747-8807-7974EA84155A.thumb.jpeg.03f23b40c9ababdb8708a55f147d4746.jpeg

Someone asked about vasek and this was Wells response. So I’m assuming the recruitocosm tweet is about him 

5 hours ago, OB3 said:

B4E7D019-BF13-4747-8807-7974EA84155A.thumb.jpeg.03f23b40c9ababdb8708a55f147d4746.jpeg

Someone asked about vasek and this was Wells response. So I’m assuming the recruitocosm tweet is about him 

Why 'This Is Fine' Is the Meme This Year Deserves - The New ...
I'm assuming this is the meme and assuming he means this from the OU perspective cause otherwise it doesn't make sense

IT Scoop:

Hoops recruiting:

Inside Texas believes the visit process for On3 Consensus five-star power forward Ronald Holland (Duncanville, Texas) has concluded. And that means a decision is not too far off. IT doesn’t believe the 6-foot-7 skilled forward will wait until the spring to announce a decision. 

Texas continues to have the momentum in this recruitment over Arkansas and UCLA. But the battle continues. 

Andre Stojakovic, G/W, Carmichael (Calif.) Jesuit:

Texas continues to battle Stanford and UCLA for the 6-foot-7 versatile playmaker. The thinking in the last couple of weeks is Stanford is the toughest competition for Texas due to closeness to home combined with degree and guaranteed 28-30 minutes per game as a freshman. That is the Cardinal’s sell. Stojakovic continues to have terrific communication with the Texas staff. Despite initially saying that a decision was likely on Halloween, IT believes that an announcement could come a little sooner. 

A.J. Johnson, Woodland Hills (Calif.) Taft: The On3 Consensus 5-star point guard is scheduled to make an official visit to Louisville this weekend. If that visit happens, the Longhorns could face some competition for the 6-foot-4.5 future NBA lottery pick. If the visit doesn’t happen, the Longhorns will be sitting in a terrific position. Texas continues to lead. 

Texas is expected to host 2023 big man Cedric Lath (Henderson, Nv./Liberty) on an official visit in the next couple of weeks. Houston is the competition for the 6-foot-9, 235-pound physical interior defender and rebounder. The Longhorns present an opportunity for Lath to come in and play minutes immediately in a key role next season.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IT Scoop:

Hoops recruiting:

Inside Texas believes the visit process for On3 Consensus five-star power forward Ronald Holland (Duncanville, Texas) has concluded. And that means a decision is not too far off. IT doesn’t believe the 6-foot-7 skilled forward will wait until the spring to announce a decision. 

Texas continues to have the momentum in this recruitment over Arkansas and UCLA. But the battle continues. 

Andre Stojakovic, G/W, Carmichael (Calif.) Jesuit:

Texas continues to battle Stanford and UCLA for the 6-foot-7 versatile playmaker. The thinking in the last couple of weeks is Stanford is the toughest competition for Texas due to closeness to home combined with degree and guaranteed 28-30 minutes per game as a freshman. That is the Cardinal’s sell. Stojakovic continues to have terrific communication with the Texas staff. Despite initially saying that a decision was likely on Halloween, IT believes that an announcement could come a little sooner. 

A.J. Johnson, Woodland Hills (Calif.) Taft: The On3 Consensus 5-star point guard is scheduled to make an official visit to Louisville this weekend. If that visit happens, the Longhorns could face some competition for the 6-foot-4.5 future NBA lottery pick. If the visit doesn’t happen, the Longhorns will be sitting in a terrific position. Texas continues to lead. 

Texas is expected to host 2023 big man Cedric Lath (Henderson, Nv./Liberty) on an official visit in the next couple of weeks. Houston is the competition for the 6-foot-9, 235-pound physical interior defender and rebounder. The Longhorns present an opportunity for Lath to come in and play minutes immediately in a key role next season.

I honestly believe in a couple of years we're winning all of these types of battles.

I love Beard swinging for the fences. No fear. But he's going to take some lumps at this stage for doing so. Throughout his recruitment everyone has said Stojakovic was a guaranteed Bruin. Just shows what can happen if you keep at it. Doesn't sound like it's likely to go UT's way, but he'd be exactly what this year's team needs. A legitimate 3 point shooting wing. Regardless, I love that we're in it. 

I know Holland is a huge instate priority, but honestly if we ended up with Johnson and Lath out of these four I'd still be ecstatic. Not saying that's going to happen, even. But Johnson is different level electric. I'm shocked we're this close to landing him. Shocked. He's a franchise type point guard even for one year. 

Beard has outright pwned Louisville over the years in recruiting. I've listened to a few podcasts from a couple of their die hards and they practically speak in fear when it involves the Cardinals' recruiting against Beard. "We never seem to win these!"

Oh, and thanks for posting these, BurntOrange&White. It's greatly appreciated. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, OB3 said:

Don’t know if this guy has been good in the past or just taking a shot in the dark

You're only ever as good at these things as your source. Being that this guy is connected to Arkansas, his sources are going to tell him with confidence it's Arkansas. The reason to post is less about being accurate, and more about being a homer for the fans. Musselman has been lights out on the recruiting trail, so going pro Arkansas is not a direction that's going to burn him too badly on a regular basis. 

But that's also why I've always loved Gerry. Boy is he good at this stuff. He's not going to go out on a limb publicly simply to pump up the fan base. In either football or basketball. If he feels like he has a really tight in with someone close to the kid, then he's going to have a different level of confidence, but he knows how this works. If the kid is trying to keep some drama for their reveal, multiple schools are going to be given the message they're right there in it, even if there's already a strong lean one way or another. 

I do know I don't trust this staff and their confidence levels. That's not a bad thing. They think they're winning every one of these, which is what you want on some level. Just need to win enough of them. 

Without any inside knowledge whatsoever I feel good about this one. They're not going to pull any punches on this kid. It's going to be all in. If they lose to Arkansas it's going to be because of their tempo, having a friend on the team, and better ties to the NBA both as a coach and with his players. That's something Beard can develop over time. He's already making noises in the preseason the team is going to play at a faster tempo this year. I don't know if that will be the case, but that's what he's saying. Mitchell might head to the NBA after a year. Hunter might go pro. Disu obviously wants to go pro. Artretio has NBA level talent. We're in great shape in the long run.

In the short run I hope we get this kid. 

• Like 1

Gerry said late last week that one his sources was saying Texas, and when asked to clarify if it was a Texas source or a source connected to Holland. He replied with the latter. Supposedly, Holland is visiting on the 29th. If he makes that visit that is a very positive data point.

holland2.PNG

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/19/2022 at 5:47 PM, HtownHorn said:

Gerry said late last week that one his sources was saying Texas, and when asked to clarify if it was a Texas source or a source connected to Holland. He replied with the latter. Supposedly, Holland is visiting on the 29th. If he makes that visit that is a very positive data point.

holland2.PNG

Gerry also said Arkansas side is super confident as well.

Interesting visit with essentially his final two playing in an exhibition.

46 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry also said Arkansas side is super confident as well.

Interesting visit with essentially his final two playing in an exhibition.

Arkansas confidence is coming from Arkansas sources, Gerry's confidence is coming from Holland's circle. Of course, that could change and it bit IT in the ass last year with Banks.

46 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Arkansas confidence is coming from Arkansas sources, Gerry's confidence is coming from Holland's circle. Of course, that could change and it bit IT in the ass last year with Banks.

Gerry wasn't the one going down with Banks.. wasn't that Nahlin??

55 minutes ago, Wizlon said:

Some guy I've never heard of on 247 put in a CB for Ron Holland to the good guys. Has an all time prediction accuracy of 100% so maybe he knows something.

There was an article from on3 today about Holland. Says Texas has been recruiting him the hardest and best. That came from someone in Holland's circle. Which also matches Gerry's thought last week that Arkansas's confidence was coming from Arkansas sources, while the Texas confidence was coming from Holland sources.

Elliot Cadeu, #1 ranked 6'1 PG for the 2024 class out of New Jersey, (he attends powerhouse Link Academy in Missouri) has dropped his top 6 on instagram.

Louisville, Syracuse, UNC, Texas Tech, KU and Texas. 

Here's an article with a brief breakdown of his thoughts on each school:

https://247sports.com/Article/Basketball-recruiting-Elliot-Cadeau-Louisville-UNC-Syracuse-Kansas-Texas-Texas-Tech-247Sports-196356465/

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Interesting that he's an Adidas kid. We desperately need big men in this class. Frankly, we could use one on the roster right now. But we really need to bring in 3 from a combination of HS and the portal. And Beard is so picky about his big men. I swear he'd rather have a roster full of 6'5/6'6 guys than bring in a big man who can't switch that well and doesn't play with intensity. Which is great if you can get them. 

Anyway, thanks to Gerry for breaking this. Even got the UT photo to post. Geez. And by extension thanks to Lonestar88 for passing it along.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Gerry talks about Basketball Nov 9th signing week and 4 prospects (starts around the 16:35 mark)

Thank you for the time stamp. 

There wasn’t anything necessarily new there, but that’s because Gerry has already come out with it. He’s been on top of all four of these recruitments. 

There’s only 11 scholarship players on the team. With Bishop, Carr, and Rice out of eligibility plus potential early entry candidates there’s plenty of room for a big class of HS and portal players. Starting it off with any combination of these four would be fantastic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm guessing it won't hurt their recruiting?
Still noteworthy though.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34932400/kansas-suspends-bill-self-4-games-infractions-case

==========

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self and assistant Kurtis Townsend on Wednesday were suspended for the first four games of the season, and the Jayhawks imposed several recruiting restrictions as part of the fallout from the FBI investigation into college basketball corruption stemming from 2017.

They will miss the Jayhawks' matchup against Duke in the Champions Classic on Nov. 15. Assistant coach Norm Roberts will serve as interim head coach of the defending national champions during Self's suspension over the first four games.

Both Self and Townsend were both named in the NCAA's notice of allegations that accused the school of five Level I violations tied to its relationship with Adidas.

4 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

I'm guessing it won't hurt their recruiting?
Still noteworthy though.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34932400/kansas-suspends-bill-self-4-games-infractions-case

==========

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self and assistant Kurtis Townsend on Wednesday were suspended for the first four games of the season, and the Jayhawks imposed several recruiting restrictions as part of the fallout from the FBI investigation into college basketball corruption stemming from 2017.

They will miss the Jayhawks' matchup against Duke in the Champions Classic on Nov. 15. Assistant coach Norm Roberts will serve as interim head coach of the defending national champions during Self's suspension over the first four games.

Both Self and Townsend were both named in the NCAA's notice of allegations that accused the school of five Level I violations tied to its relationship with Adidas.

They've been under the cloud of an NCAA investigation for 5 years. 

They're giving up a total of 3 scholarships within a 3 year period. Which means they could have 10 out of 13 this year and be done with it, or 12 the next 3 years, or any combination in between. 

My strongest guess is KU negotiated this to bring an end to the investigation. Whatever harm was going to come to the KU program has already been delivered. Since they just won the national championship, you can draw your own conclusions from there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

They've been under the cloud of an NCAA investigation for 5 years. 

They're giving up a total of 3 scholarships within a 3 year period. Which means they could have 10 out of 13 this year and be done with it, or 12 the next 3 years, or any combination in between. 

My strongest guess is KU negotiated this to bring an end to the investigation. Whatever harm was going to come to the KU program has already been delivered. Since they just won the national championship, you can draw your own conclusions from there. 

Which, in the days of NIL at a basketball program such as Kansas, is irrelevant.

On 10/17/2022 at 10:21 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

IT Scoop:

Hoops recruiting:

Sorry to dovetail on your post, BurntOrange&White, but you had a bit from Gerry regarding our recruitment of AJ Johnson.

This doesn't really shed any light on it per se, but it's a bit of unusual news for a high school player. Basically AJ was playing for a high school Kanye West was funding, that he's decided to shut down, so he and other top players are having to find other destinations.

https://www.espn.com/recruiting/basketball/story/_/id/34941295/top-basketball-recruits-find-schools-donda-academy-closure

Spoiler

Top basketball recruits find schools after Donda Academy closure

4:14 PM CT
  • Jonathan Givony
  • Myron Medcalf

The top basketball recruits who were left scrambling after Donda Academy was shut down last week are beginning to find new homes.

Rob Dillingham, a Kentucky commit and the No. 8 recruit in the 2023 ESPN 100, will join Overtime Elite, the league announced Thursday on Twitter. He will not accept a salary, which will preserve his collegiate eligibility.

A.J. Johnson, the No. 25 recruit in the 2023 class, has landed with SoCal Academy, head coach Julius Von Hanzlik told ESPN. His teammate Jacob Bannarbie, a 6-foot-8 center, will join him at SoCal Academy, a source told ESPN.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Javonte (J.J.) Taylor, the No. 45 prospect for 2023, recently announced that he will play with five-star recruit Mikey Williams at San Ysidro High in San Diego. Chuck Bailey Jr., a 2023 four-star recruit, will attend Hamtramck (Michigan) High, his father, Chuck Bailey Sr., told ESPN.

The student body at Donda Academy learned last week that Ye, the polarizing rapper and entrepreneur formerly named Kanye West, had decided to shut down the school for the remainder of the school year.

"Our leadership team will be working diligently to assist all families during this transition, ensuring that every scholar has what they need to succeed in their next community in a prompt and gracious manner," Jason Angell, the school's principal, wrote in a letter obtained by ESPN. "We intend to begin afresh in September of 2023."

Officials with the Hoophall Classic, John Wall Holiday Invitational and other events announced last week that Donda Academy would no longer participate in their tournaments.

Ye's latest controversial chapter has included antisemitic tweets and comments that have led to dissolving partnerships and business interests.

ESPN's Jeff Borzello contributed to this report.

Here's the pertinent part:

"A.J. Johnson, the No. 25 recruit in the 2023 class, has landed with SoCal Academy, head coach Julius Von Hanzlik told ESPN."

1 minute ago, Horny Bull said:

Stojakovic announcing Monday. 

Gerry Hamilton said it's likely down to a Stanford-Texas race and that Stojakovic prefers Austin as a city. Interestingly, he brought up the fact that the Stojakovic family has a daughter in high school who might become a sought after volleyball recruit and that likely delays the family's relocation back to Europe. Maybe the volleyball sister helps with the basketball son's recruitment?