Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Cool. Those are bigger needs than OL. And guess what?  So is WR for sure. And maybe TE. But that doesn’t mean you also shouldn’t get a ready to play OL as well. We don’t have a salary cap. There’s an unlimited number of guys taking up a scholarship that sort of suck.  Just because we have bigger needs doesn’t mean we shouldn’t also fill that one as well. 

There is a limit to the players. I counted 10 OL returning, so in 2022 Texas will have a minimum of 17 scholarships dedicated to the OL. That looks about right to me. If you keep adding at some point you are going to have to take numbers away from other spots. Coaches also have to be able to recruit Texas, so there only so much they can do to cull the roster. They can’t just cut every kid that can’t play, even if they want to do so. 

Banks Conner Majors Campbell Jones

No it’s not Alabama but that line should be a lot better than last year and still give the ability of coaches to still recruit the position in 2023 and 2024. You can’t bring in 8 or 9 guys in one year and expect to have a chance with the next few classes.

Also who on this list would you take on the OL?

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TransferPortalTop/

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, LebongJames said:

No it’s not Alabama but that line should be a lot better than last year and still give the ability of coaches to still recruit the position in 2023 and 2024. You can’t bring in 8 or 9 guys in one year and expect to have a chance with the next few classes.

Angilau is still part of the team right?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, LebongJames said:

You left out the one for sure OL starter in 2022

8676928.jpg?fit=crop&width=100

Junior Angilau

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

The O-line has been addressed and will be better.  At this point the biggest needs are LB, an edge rusher and safety.

I still believe at least 1 WR starter, 1 Blocking TE, and at least 1 quality LB for depth are critical needs.  Finding an EDGE is tough in the portal, but if the right guy is available, UT has to go after him.  

If there's room, 1 more quality experienced OL would really help this offense too... 

• Hook 'Em 1

If a very good grad transfer LT showed up in the portal I'd take him for sure.  we have no idea what we have in Banks as a true frosh at LT.  Also then Banks can play RT to start.

If Flood is as good as everyone says he is then we shouldn't need any other OL from the portal.  He's got enough to work with to give us a solid OL next year.

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

If a very good grad transfer LT showed up in the portal I'd take him for sure.  we have no idea what we have in Banks as a true frosh at LT.  Also then Banks can play RT to start.

If Flood is as good as everyone says he is then we shouldn't need any other OL from the portal.  He's got enough to work with to give us a solid OL next year.

Flood will have to be a magician if the same lineup (sans Kirk, plus a true freshman, I don't care how badass he is) is going to be much better for at least the front half of the year.

Edited by mwaadeeb

35 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Flood will have to be a magician if the same lineup (sans Kirk, plus a true freshman, I don't care how badass he is) is going to be much better for at least the front half of the year.

Its not going to be the same lineup. Banks and Campbell are going to be starters from this class. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LebongJames said:

This list is irrelevant until bowl season is finished. 

Short term rentals won’t affect numbers for 2023, but even if it did, who cares? Pitching early playing time is for losers and every year we have to do it signifies another year wasted on the field. 

Yea I don’t get some posters thinking we can start true freshman on the OL and think we will be better? It takes hall of fame OL to start day 1 and be badass and those guys all played for bama. I think it’s really dumb to not target any portal OL or grad transfer OL. We need upperclassmen. So with that welcome to sark excuse #2 for next year. “We had a young OL ok”. Which is about the same as “I need a new roster” for this year. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mwaadeeb said:

Maybe Banks. He's that impressive. But thinking two true freshman OL will start day one (and be effective) is a historically bad bet. 

These are two of the best prospects we have ever signed on the line. And their competition for a starting spot is not a huge hurdle to overcome. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, mwaadeeb said:

Maybe Banks. He's that impressive. But thinking two true freshman OL will start day one (and be effective) is a historically bad bet. 

Historically we have never signed 2 5*s in the same class. So that kinda throws off the line. 

Edited by NorLa Horns
Clarification.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Broomcorns Uncle said:

I would have liked to see some more experience on the OL, but at the same time, I’m pretty excited about the talent coming in.

I would rather see Texas stock up on OL commits and bring in a sustainable level of talent on the OL, then continually try to patch it together every year via the portal. It may set the ceiling a little lower this year, but it should set the ceiling higher the next 2-3 years. But as a Texas fan, I have been wandering the desert looking for a decent OL for over a decade. Hoping this begins the long term fix 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

Tackle is the hardest position to find in the portal. Outside of Frazier from FIU who ended up at LSU, I have not seen one tackle in the portal who’s a sure fire upgrade over what we have returning or coming in. If the rumors were true that they had Dunlap (a guard) from Minnesota ready to commit before NSD but decided to hold off because they didn’t want to scare off any of the HS lineman, they certainly made the right call.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Tackle is the hardest position to find in the portal. Outside of Frazier from FIU who ended up at LSU, I have not seen one tackle in the portal who’s a sure fire upgrade over what we have returning or coming in. If the rumors were true that they had Dunlap (a guard) from Minnesota ready to commit before NSD but decided to hold off because they didn’t want to scare off any of the HS lineman, they certainly made the right call.

I'm confused.  Is Dunlap committed to us or not?  I thought not, but the Rivals portal list linked a few posts earlier shows him at 46 and committed to us.

5 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Good, experienced, upperclassmen O line, especially tackles are not in the portal for the exact same reason y'all are rubbing your pussies about how we took a bunch of HS Oline. O line take time to develop, so upperclassmen o linemen in the portal are spares that got beat by younger guys, why would we take more mediocre upperclassmen when we already have plenty on campus now.

I agree they(LT)arent in the portal very often, but I disagree that we have mediocre tackles on campus. I'd give any poster's left nut for a mediocre upperclassman tackle.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There will also be another round of transfers after spring ball so if Flood hates what he sees in the spring from Conner/Karic/Jones or there’s an injury, he can always change his mind and dip into the portal heading into the summer.

By that same token, hopefully Flood and Sarkisian shed some deadweight in the OL room during the spring.

5 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

So if I counted correctly Willie Tyler is among the Top 10 OL’s to portal, and currently the 2nd rated uncommitted OL available. So yeah, as things exist today…thanks but no thanks…

https://247sports.com/Player/Willie-Tyler-46080159/

That’s the biggest problem. Tackle is the weakest position in the portal.

I’m sure Texas will adjust numbers if a legit tackle enters the portal but they’re not going to take a scrub and pray it improves the OL. 

3 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

So upperclassmen o linemen in the portal are spares that got beat by younger guys, why would we take more mediocre upperclassmen when we already have plenty on campus now.

Guess you missed the two O-line transfers in 2021 that helped bailer win the B12 Championship Game a few weeks ago...

The Baylor offensive line is one of the most experienced areas of the team with the addition of graduate transfer guard Grant Miller from Vanderbilt and center Jacob Gall from Buffalo.

The Bears knew they needed massive improvement up front after last year’s 2-7 season. Their emergence as a top-flight line has helped the No. 9 Bears rise to 10-2 heading into a rematch against No. 5 Oklahoma State in the Big 12 championship game Saturday at AT&T Stadium in Arlington.

“It’s just taken a lot of work, a lot of dedication, a lot of time spent together watching film, working out, doing stuff on the field, just being with each other,” Galvin said. “They (Miller and Gall) have made a huge impact. They were starters at their previous schools, and came in with a lot of experience, so it wasn’t just a whole new learning curve.”

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Guess you missed the two O-line transfers in 2021 that helped bailer win the B12 Championship Game a few weeks ago...

Nobody is saying that you can not get solid OL in the portal. The real issue is Texas needs players on the edge. Finding OT or a DE in the portal is pretty tough. OU went out and got the #1 LT in the portal last year and he was a back up this year. I don’t think Sark and Flood expected to close on the OL like they did. Banks, Williams, and Neto seemed to just fall into their laps late. I think those 3 changed the calculus for the program. At that point it became do we want these guys for the next 4-5 years or do we bolster the line with a 1 year rental? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Nobody is saying that you can not get solid OL in the portal. The real issue is Texas needs players on the edge. Finding OT or a DE in the portal is pretty tough. OU went out and got the #1 LT in the portal last year and he was a back up this year. I don’t think Sark and Flood expected to close on the OL like they did. Banks, Williams, and Neto seemed to just fall into their laps late. I think those 3 changed the calculus for the program. At that point it became do we want these guys for the next 4-5 years or do we bolster the line with a 1 year rental? 

I don't disagree with what you have posted, but kicking the tires to upgrade and add one more experienced offensive lineman even if it's a guard or center makes a lot of sense...  

For example...

"Oluwatimi played in 36 games in three seasons at the center position for Virginia. Earlier on Monday, Oluwatimi was named one of three finalists for the Rimington Trophy, presented to the best center in college football. He became the first center at Virginia to be named a finalist for the award. Oluwatimi was also named to the All-ACC Second Team in 2021."

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Nobody is saying that you can not get solid OL in the portal.

I think there are a lot of folks saying we can't get a solid OL in the portal.  

Out O'line sucks,  I think it's very possible to get a one and done that's better  than what we have.

If he's there,  try and get him.   

22 minutes ago, pacman said:

Just about every top program in the country wants Oluwatimi. He's from Maryland and likely has little desire to come all yhe way to 5-7 Texas.

Do you have a more realistic example?

Wrong! Texas got its 7 OL and evidently we wouldn’t take the projected top 2023 LT draft pick if he was begging to be a Longhorn because 7 was always the number.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I don't disagree with what you have posted, but kicking the tires to upgrade and add one more experienced offensive lineman even if it's a guard or center makes a lot of sense...  

For example...

"Oluwatimi played in 36 games in three seasons at the center position for Virginia. Earlier on Monday, Oluwatimi was named one of three finalists for the Rimington Trophy, presented to the best center in college football. He became the first center at Virginia to be named a finalist for the award. Oluwatimi was also named to the All-ACC Second Team in 2021."

He already pulled his name from the portal.

4 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Wrong! Texas got its 7 OL and evidently we wouldn’t take the projected top 2023 LT draft pick if he was begging to be a Longhorn because 7 was always the number.

Now you are just being a stupid cunt because your feelings are hurt. The latest on the Virginia OL mentioned earlier is he is more likely to stay than transfer. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Now you are just being a stupid cunt because your feelings are hurt. The latest on the Virginia OL mentioned earlier is he is more likely to stay than transfer. 

You assume I have feelings? I think this argument is stupid. If a quality tackle or guard gets beat out at a place like Bama or Georgia in spring ball and he likes pancakes, you fucking take him in a heartbeat if he wants to come. These talented freshmen are great if the success of an OL is based on talent alone. Its not. It’s a mental and strength game up front, both which benefit from years of experience.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

You assume I have feelings? I think this argument is stupid. If a quality tackle or guard gets beat out at a place like Bama or Georgia in spring ball and he likes pancakes, you fucking take him in a heartbeat if he wants to come. These talented freshmen are great if the success of an OL is based on talent alone. Its not. It’s a mental and strength game up front, both which benefit from years of experience.

Good job just glossing over the fact that you flipped out over us passing up the possibility of getting a guy that is no longer available. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Good job just glossing over the fact that you flipped out over us passing up the possibility of getting a guy that is no longer available. 

Haha. Flipping out… I have much more important shit to flip out over and I honesty wasn’t referencing that dude at all, just using it as an opportunity to make a point. I know nothing about the once potential transfer. Nice try though.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting