Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

There will probably be others out there in the portal, possibly some grad transfers...

As mentioned, there will be other experienced portal o-lineman for UT to consider taking.  Usc added Bobby Haskins, and blOU just got one...

Mettauer, a native of The Woodlands, Texas, was formerly a three-star prospect, according to the 247Sports Composite ratings. The junior has played in all 29 games for the Golden Bears the last three seasons and has made 28 straight starts at right guard.

Pro Football Focus named Mettauer to its All-Pac-12 second team and he garnered honorable mention honors from the coaches this season. For the second consecutive year, he was named to the preseason Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award watch list, which annually honors the best player in the country with Texas ties.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm way more concerned about linebacker.

Well yeah that’s a given. Although edge is #1 for me by far, we literally have Ovie, Jett and a bunch of guys who’ve never played a snap (Collins shouldn’t be an edge). 

I think LB mainly just needs to be coached better. 

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Well yeah that’s a given. Although edge is #1 for me by far, we literally have Ovie, Jett and a bunch of guys who’ve never played a snap (Collins shouldn’t be an edge). 

I think LB mainly just needs to be coached better. 

We have at least addressed edge via 2022 class. Linebacker is far worse. 

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We have at least addressed edge via 2022 class. Linebacker is far worse. 

I think LB play will be better next year. Ford made significant improvement over the course of the season. Granted he went from God awful to competent. Gbenda improved from God awful to not quite competent. I would still liek to see a veteran come in, but I have hopes for competent LB play this coming year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think LB play will be better next year. Ford made significant improvement over the course of the season. Granted he went from God awful to competent. Gbenda improved from God awful to not quite competent. I would still liek to see a veteran come in, but I have hopes for competent LB play this coming year. 

Also DMO will hopefully have his first ever healthy offseason as an LB

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Burton said this morning that he expects Ford and Blackwell to be the starters at LB next year. Are we doing something weird with Overshown that I don't know about?

That would be surprising. Maybe moving him to Star or back to Safety? Star could make sense.

That would also mean Blackwell jumping Gbenda and Richardson. Idk, seems like Burton is reaching. 

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

That would be surprising. Maybe moving him to Star or back to Safety? Star could make sense.

That would also mean Blackwell jumping Gbenda and Richardson. Idk, seems like Burton is reaching. 

Overshown is not a good LB. People exaggerated his ability even under Hutzler. 

I had this discussion a few weeks ago about Overshown being a better fit at safety (specifically in Patterson's system). 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Did he say he was told or that he thinks it? If he didn't deliver the "I'm told" line then it's not sourced and just his opinion, which is worth more than some 9.95ers and internet posters but worth less than plenty of others.

"Morrice Blackwell and Jaylan Ford are likely to start all season"

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Burton said this morning that he expects Ford and Blackwell to be the starters at LB next year. Are we doing something weird with Overshown that I don't know about?

That is interesting. I dont know where Overshown realistically fits. I could see him being a higher level athlete playing SS in the same vain as Cam Chancelor played the position, which is sort of a pseudo LB. The only issue is that position has been fading away over the years. He has the athletic ability to play LB and do it at a high level, but he just has not shown any feel for the position. He is great in the see ball, find ball mode, but throw in any misdirection at all and he is completely lost. 

43 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Did he say he was told or that he thinks it? If he didn't deliver the "I'm told" line then it's not sourced and just his opinion, which is worth more than some 9.95ers and internet posters but worth less than plenty of others.

Its also entirely possible Burton straight up forgot about Overshown.  Its not like they have any sort of editorial process where their stories/posts are reviewed.  Its the same when a recruit doesn't get mentioned and people end up losing their minds only to find out that the 9.95'er simply forgot about them.

• Hook 'Em 1

When we only get to 6 fucking wins next year, and most of the stud freshman o-linemen transfer out when Sark gets rolled, will he have any regret for not chasing the portal o-linemen that were good enough for USC and OU?!? Probably not. Hire after hire after hire, how do we get retarded coaches like this? 

Oh, and by the way, if you think rolling with just adding the freshman on the o-line is fine, you are (somehow) dumber than Sark. 

• Fuck You 15

8 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

When we only get to 6 fucking wins next year, and most of the stud freshman o-linemen transfer out when Sark gets rolled, will he have any regret for not chasing the portal o-linemen that were good enough for USC and OU?!? Probably not. Hire after hire after hire, how do we get retarded coaches like this? 

Oh, and by the way, if you think rolling with just adding the freshman on the o-line is fine, you are (somehow) dumber than Sark. 

Happy Monday to you. These lineman you are discussing have one year of eligibility left so no, I won’t have any regret of not taking them in your doomsday scenario where they wouldn’t be here past 2022 anyway.

Cheer up.

47 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Blackwell has been coming on, and overshown has to show he can stay healthy through a camp. Apparently DMo was one of the worst Lbs in the conference last year. 

At 7:45 mark, Bobby say that PFF rankings for B12 LBs for 2020 season have DMO and Brockermeyer as the two lowest ranked LBs in the B12.

Entire LB discussion starts approx 7:20 min mark...

Recorded December 26th...

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

It could be that expecting one or even two-year turnarounds on an offensive line that has been hemorrhagic explosive dogshit diarrhea since Dubya is the retarded part, not a succession of coaches who came here with varying degrees of success elsewhere. We've been a shambolic succession of teams since 2010. The best programs are just that -- programs. Blue-chips want to join them and are happy to redshirt. Aside from Cosmi, who was the last stud to redshirt on OL? Again, it's the same answer to all such questions about the historic shittiness on our OL: 2003 recruit Tony Hills.

It really is going on two decades of futility now. 

Ever since then the OL has been a nonstop succession of horrible evaluations, a revolving door at OL coach, one new offense after another, a battalion of headcases, and a legion fat and happy underachievers who prioritize film-making or DJ'ing techno nights or whatever. And injuries and medical retirements: I really think that Patrick Hudson kid looked like a stud, and no sooner did he start flexing on the field did his doctor tell him to quit football forever.

Sark is finally addressing it the way it has long needed to be addressed: by both weeding out the chaff and succesfully landing a boatload of studs. He is risking his nuts on this, because unless Ewers proves to be the God IT swore Hudson Card was, we won't be much better this year than last, but all that starts to change in 2023, and once you've rid our perennial status as a slapdick team and become a program again, we will be (cue Winwood) back in the high life again.

If we have a realistic shot at a portal or grad transfer guy with all-conference ability who wants to play here, by all means, find a way to jump on him. But some of y'all seem to think Sark should just be able to conjure up some stud portal dude with three years eligibility who has a visit list of UT and nowhere else. 

Just because a good OL goes in the portal does not mean we are entitled to him. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

If we have a realistic shot at a portal or grad transfer guy with all-conference ability who wants to play here, by all means, find a way to jump on him. But some of y'all seem to think Sark should just be able to conjure up some stud portal dude with three years eligibility who has a visit list of UT and nowhere else. 

Just because a good OL goes in the portal does not mean we are entitled to him. 

Like I said the other day, outside of Frazier from FIU from LSU, there has not been one tackle in the portal who is a for sure upgrade over what we have or have coming in.

People had the same mindset for that LB from UNLV. Acting like he was going to Texas if we just wanted him. Nevermind the fact he committed to Michigan State days after his visit and they were his first and only visit despite having tons of offers. 

Portal interest has to be a two way street.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

At 7:45 mark, Bobby say that PFF rankings for B12 LBs for 2020 season have DMO and Brockermeyer as the two lowest ranked LBs in the B12.

Entire LB discussion starts approx 7:20 min mark...

Recorded December 26th...

Overshown is a tweener like Drew Kelson and it's a shame. Kelson was able to succeed because he was surrounded by NFL talent....And in retrospect it would have been better to leave DO at safety...

I don't know what you do with guys with that build and that set of tools to maximize their talents in today's game. Orakpo arrived on the 40 at about that size but I doubt DO would have agreed to put on 60 pounds and become an EDGE but I'd have tried to persuade him. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

29 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

once you've rid our perennial status as a slapdick team and become a program again, we will be (cue Winwood) back in the high life again.

Kinda odd... but 1st two chords of " Back in the High Life Again" resemble 1st two chords of  "Free Fallin' "

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Doing something weird like relegating him to backup where he belongs. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Kinda odd... but 1st two chords of " Back in the High Life Again" resemble 1st two chords of  "Free Fallin' "

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Yeah, I've mistaken one for the other after the first few bars ... 🙂

I love Winwood, but Warren Zevon's cover is better.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, pacman said:

pff thinks that guy is very average, basically an older Karic.

They must be very confused with these moves 

Highest-graded Offensive Lines in College Football 1. USC - 91.8 2. Kentucky - 90.3 3. Oregon State - 89.4 4. Ohio State - 89.0 4. Iowa - 89.0

according to PFF

31 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

PFF also grades out Trevon Diggs as one of the worst corners in the NFL so it has its flaws

I can get that though. Diggs is kind of a boom or bust guy. He clearly has a nose for the football, but isn’t the most consistent in coverage. 

Mike at Night: Post-Christmas recruiting notes to begin the week

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Post-Christmas recruiting notes to begin the week

Mike Roach

— It's been pretty quiet on the wide receiver coach front. I think business could pick up there following the bowl season. I have no reason to believe that Brennan Marion isn't still a prime candidate for the job, and it could just be a matter of waiting until after Thursday when Pittsburgh faces off against Michigan State in the Peach Bowl. Regardless of who the pick ends up being, it wouldn't be shocking to see everything settle down after bowls are done. One thing's for sure, Texas would need to have someone in place before the dead period ends again on January 13.

— I wouldn't expect many new developments with the wide receiver board until someone is in place. One name to keep an eye on at the high school level is Dillon Bell. The Houston Kinkaid wide receiver is currently committed to Georgia, but several schools are still in pursuit. Not only would Bell be an intriguing wide receiver option for the Longhorns, his younger brother Micah Bell is also a big-time prospect at cornerback in the 2023 class. It's something to watch for as we head down the stretch to signing day. Texas has been in contact throughout the cycle. but a push could keep him at home.

— Texas offered University of Albany EDGE rusher Jared Verse who entered the NCAA Transfer Portal almost a month ago. Clearly, EDGE is still a priority for this staff as they look to add impact pass rushers to the roster. It might be a bit too late with Verse who already took visits to Syracuse, Florida State, Tennessee and Houston. LSU entered the fray as well, and Verse was looking to trim his list to a Top 5 before making a decision in late December or early January, according to what he told 247Sports. I'd expect to see Texas continue to look for answers at the line of scrimmage until they feel they have enough to address the weaknesses that plagued them this season.

What another collection of things we all already know. I could have written that. 

Recruiting notes, December 27, 2021: Ohio State quarterback Quinn Ewers is transferring to Texas. He is supposed to be good. He's got a great arm and shit. Stay tuned for my next update. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

What another collection of things we all already know. I could have written that. 

Recruiting notes, December 27, 2021: Ohio State quarterback Quinn Ewers is transferring to Texas. He is supposed to be good. He's got a great arm and shit. Stay tuned for my next update. 

"There's nothing to write about, folks. But it's once again night, so allow me to write about...nothing." 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting