Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

12 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

Size queen flood isn't trotting Majors out there again with this group of recruits playing bench. Not unless they shoot him up with gallons of steroids all offseason first. Fine, then it'll be Angilau at center and Campbell at guard. 

This is what makes me question our S&C program. All off-season I heard about making everyone faster. Did anyone ask about what specifically each coach wanted from their position group? Many of these guys should have put on 30lbs of beef with a competent program. Also, listing Majors at 310 was comical, he was 290 at best.

Just now, Fud said:

The school the kid didn't sign with can be in contact with the kid if the school doesn't know, Roach 

Exactly. How is another school supposed to know if the recruit doesn't tell anyone and the school agrees not to release the information? The school has to file it with their conference within 14 days but it's not like the Big 12 posts updates about them. 

10 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Imacelebritygetmeoutofhere GIF by I'm A Celebrity

Ears, on Andrew Somebody's Campbell tweet.

image.thumb.png.a25be4d30be4f9bafaf7bb70f73b353d.png

If you are going to go with this as your backtrack, shouldn’t you also include something about the ou coaches being in contact with Campbell at some point after the early signing period?  Kinda begs the question doesn’t it?

1 hour ago, SuckitKevin said:

This is what makes me question our S&C program. All off-season I heard about making everyone faster. Did anyone ask about what specifically each coach wanted from their position group? Many of these guys should have put on 30lbs of beef with a competent program. Also, listing Majors at 310 was comical, he was 290 at best.

Interesting point. Here's the 2020 to 2021 listed weights for the OL (as you said, they usually add a few pounds on the official listings)

Majors- 298 -> 310

Jones: 310 -> 314

Angilau: 294 -> 319

Imade: 355 -> 361

Kerstetter: 293 ->310

Okafor: 317 -> 322

I'm not a strength and conditioning expert, but I do think the explosive movement focus is getting slightly overblown. They still do deadlifts, squats, etc. They wanted to stop putting unnecessary weight on the skill guys and slowing them down. Jake Smith and Keaontay Ingram looked like they could play LB by the time they left here. I know a lot of people want to blame S&C for some of what happened but in my eyes the same players who sucked under Tom Herman also sucked this past year. We couldn't set the edge because we did not have the players to set the edge, not because we didn't do the extra round of bench press in July. If S&C sucked that bad we wouldn't be jumping out to the huge leads we had. Majors is always have to have an uphill battle the 2 or 3 times a year he faces a 350 pound noseguard, but he is trusted with the calls and protections and I think he's probably a pretty safe bet to start next year. He's never going to be someone who carries 335 pounds, it's just not possible based on how he's built.

Anyways, to keep it recruiting related, I think the incoming OL fit Flood's profile very well. We won't need to add a ton a weight to most of these guys. Banks and Robertson are both already pushing 300 pounds and Hutson and Agbo are around 315 pounds. Williams will actually probably need to drop about 10-15 pounds.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Interesting point. Here's the 2020 to 2021 listed weights for the OL (as you said, they usually add a few pounds on the official listings)

Majors- 298 -> 310

Jones: 310 -> 314

Angilau: 294 -> 319

Imade: 355 -> 361

Kerstetter: 293 ->310

Okafor: 317 -> 322

I'm not a strength and conditioning expert, but I do think the explosive movement focus is getting slightly overblown. They still do deadlifts, squats, etc. They wanted to stop putting unnecessary weight on the skill guys and slowing them down. Jake Smith and Keaontay Ingram looked like they could play LB by the time they left here. I know a lot of people want to blame S&C for some of what happened but in my eyes the same players who sucked under Tom Herman also sucked this past year. We couldn't set the edge because we did not have the players to set the edge, not because we didn't do the extra round of bench press in July. If S&C sucked that bad we wouldn't be jumping out to the huge leads we had and would be getting physically whipped from the opening whistle. Majors is always have to have an uphill battle the 2 or 3 times a year he faces a 350 pound noseguard, but he is trusted with the calls and protections and I think he's probably a pretty safe bet to start next year. He's never going to be someone who carries 335 pounds, it's just not possible based on how he's built.

Anyways, to keep it recruiting related, I think the incoming OL fit Flood's profile very well. We won't need to add a ton a weight to most of these guys. Banks and Robertson are both already pushing 300 pounds and Hutson and Agbo is around 310 pounds. Williams will actually probably need to drop about 10-15 pounds.

Neto looks to be the one who needs to put on the most weight out of the bunch, but even he is only 20 lbs away from being a viable starter. 20 lbs is not hard for guys with that frame.

On the defensive side, clearly the guy with the most work to do is Burke. That being said, I don't think you have to wait for him to get to 260 in order for him to come in and contribute. He is freakishly fast off the edge and incredibly disruptive for a guy that long. 

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

On the defensive side, clearly the guy with the most work to do is Burke. That being said, I don't think you have to wait for him to get to 260 in order for him to come in and contribute. He is freakishly fast off the edge and incredibly disruptive for a guy that long. 

Agreed. And getting to 260 should be no problem for Burke. He mentioned that not playing lacrosse is going to allow him to add a bunch of a weight because he was typically running off anything he gained before.

Edited by Hookem2147

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting