Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

IOL stands for interior offensive lineman

Victor Oluwatimi is a center at Virginia, that entered the transfer portal

I stopped in Charlottesville when driving my sister’s old dog up to NYC, so this hits close to home.

145BB867-91D3-4E7D-BCEF-8F288EEA04CC.jpeg

D4251D18-865A-44B0-AA6B-178B188E4BEF.jpeg

CCBD9031-F776-40AE-9441-7A2E3710BBB2.jpeg

4F8F6C5E-19A1-4036-A94C-6C1B38FBF9F8.jpeg

1ED91A04-5A0F-4FFE-806A-A5C78299033A.jpeg

8F30A53C-138A-4AA7-83C7-AF64727953B4.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

By that same token, hopefully Flood and Sarkisian shed some deadweight in the OL room during the spring.

Where’s the dead weight though?  They’re obviously going to have the 7 freshmen, at least 2 of whom very likely expect to get heavy playing time next season.  There’s no reasonable argument that Angilau or Majors don’t have a place on the roster.  Opinions vary on Jones, Karic, and Conner, but I don’t think anyone thinks Texas should be looking to portal someone in to take their scholarship away.  They all played extensively last year and at worst project to valuable 2nd stringers.

That leaves Parr, Garth, Merril, and Hookfin as potential “dead weight”.  Garth and Parr were 4 star recruits who redshirted in 2020 and were injured for different parts of 2021; they don’t seem like guys to flippantly discard.  Merril was a 3 star recruit who redshirted this year, so going by recruiting rankings he would be a guy we likely wouldn’t mind seeing gone, but it’s too early to write him off as dead weight.  Hookfin has the profile of a more traditional attrition candidate, as he’s had an additional year in the system and didn’t manage to make an impact as a RS So on a shitty team.  Combine that with the fact that he suffered what appears to be serious injury in a post season motorcycle accident, and he is probably the one OL on the roster who can reasonably be described as “dead weight”. 

The OL has 7 guys who should be able to contribute significantly to a good unit next season: 5 guys who played a lot last year (Angilau, Jones, Karic, Majors, Conner) and 2 5 star recruits (Banks, Campbell).  There’s certainly room to add 1-2 transfers if the right guys want to come, but I would think in that scenario they’d just allocate addl schollies to that unit (going beyond 16) and find room from other units rather than cut guys out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

oh my god I can't believe people spent their Christmas arguing about fucking OL recruiting a week after we signed an absolutely incredible class

I know! With New Year’s Eve just six days away I would think  people would save up all their carefully crafted essays for that evening. 

4 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Where’s the dead weight though?  They’re obviously going to have the 7 freshmen, at least 2 of whom very likely expect to get heavy playing time next season.  There’s no reasonable argument that Angilau or Majors don’t have a place on the roster.  Opinions vary on Jones, Karic, and Conner, but I don’t think anyone thinks Texas should be looking to portal someone in to take their scholarship away.  They all played extensively last year and at worst project to valuable 2nd stringers.

That leaves Parr, Garth, Merril, and Hookfin as potential “dead weight”.  Garth and Parr were 4 star recruits who redshirted in 2020 and were injured for different parts of 2021; they don’t seem like guys to flippantly discard.  Merril was a 3 star recruit who redshirted this year, so going by recruiting rankings he would be a guy we likely wouldn’t mind seeing gone, but it’s too early to write him off as dead weight.  Hookfin has the profile of a more traditional attrition candidate, as he’s had an additional year in the system and didn’t manage to make an impact as a RS So on a shitty team.  Combine that with the fact that he suffered what appears to be serious injury in a post season motorcycle accident, and he is probably the one OL on the roster who can reasonably be described as “dead weight”. 

The OL has 7 guys who should be able to contribute significantly to a good unit next season: 5 guys who played a lot last year (Angilau, Jones, Karic, Majors, Conner) and 2 5 star recruits (Banks, Campbell).  There’s certainly room to add 1-2 transfers if the right guys want to come, but I would think in that scenario they’d just allocate addl schollies to that unit (going beyond 16) and find room from other units rather than cut guys out.

Is there the tiniest chance Campbell actually signed with OU or a third suitor instead of with us? Talk on the board now has him in our class, and that's long been the hope... but are we sure? I haven't seen anything definitive.  

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

Is there the tiniest chance Campbell actually signed with OU or a third suitor instead of with us? Talk on the board now has him in our class, and that's long been the hope... but are we sure? I haven't seen anything definitive.  

FWIW - IT has all but said outright that Campbell has already signed with Texas. 

3 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'll take Barbacoa's word for it.

• Hook 'Em 4

17 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

oh my god I can't believe people spent their Christmas arguing about fucking OL recruiting a week after we signed an absolutely incredible class

Bro we also bitch because Quinn ewers is a career backup and a potential ‘23 targets father only gained 10lbs 30 years ago 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting