2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just passing through to put some ignorance on blast. The rest of you can move on.

On 6/9/2021 at 7:02 PM, hobbes2702 said:

1) Tatum

2) Booker

3) Mitchell

4) Trae

Trae might be the number 2 if we only looked at offense. 

On 6/9/2021 at 7:06 PM, longhornmatt said:

1. Tatum

2. Mitchell

3. Young

4. Booker

All are very good, but Young and Booker are both “great” shooters who consistently shoot really average percentages from 3.   

On 6/9/2021 at 7:34 PM, Message Board User said:

1) Mitchell

2) Tatum

3) Booker

4) Young

Mitchell is clearly the most handsome of the bunch while Young has a face that could stop time....

Oh!  You meant rank them in basketball....

On 6/9/2021 at 7:56 PM, shadow_operative said:

Tatum

Mitchell 

Young

Booker

does everyone realize that Booker has been in the league for six years now? he's the worst distributor of the four, he's a career 35% shooter from deep, and he's never led his team to a playoff series win without CP3 running his team. 

people here are also underrating Trae. if/when he becomes more efficient on offense and a non-negative on defense he will be an All-NBA player. long term it wouldn't surprise me at all if he surpasses Mitchell and/or reaches/surpasses Jayson Tatum.

On 6/9/2021 at 8:49 PM, Loch Ness Monster said:

Tatum

Mitchell 

Young

Booker

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lol, i was the first one in this thread to say that everyone was underrating Trae, but ok. 👌🏼 

Yeah but you still put him 3rd.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

also, nothing here is definitive. you're reacting to a game that's happening tonight when all of these guys still have their entire careers ahead of them. you might want to hold back on the chest thumping at this juncture. the jury is definitely still out. 

Sure they do. But if you draft those 4 guys right now at their current ages and don't take Trae first you're a fool. I didn't need tonight's near 20/20 to know that. 

And I understand this is an uphill battle seeing as we're on a Horns message board. 

Edited by ztejas

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Sure they do. But if you draft those 4 guys right now at their current ages and don't take Trae first you're a fool. I didn't need tonight's near 20/20 to know that. 

I'll take Tatum first still. My bet is Tatum's shooting improves more than Young's defense does.

yeah i still like Tatum. the size, the versatility, plus the efficiency are all >>> Trae. Trae still has way too many 9/25 FG shooting nights with 6 TOs for me to hitch my wagons to him. still, you're acting as if picking him third here is some huge diss. i've been one of the biggest proponents of Trae as NBA player around here since he was still at OU. i like him a lot- like, a lot a lot. but he definitely still needs to tighten it up a bit before i take him ahead of Tatum. and it's razor thin for me between Mitchell and Trae. Mitchell has gotten more efficient and his stock has risen in my eyes. i could switch him and Trae at 2 and 3 on my list and it wouldn't bother me.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Trae went for 8-26 tonight and they barely beat Philly despite Embiid having his worst offensive game ever. Maybe wait for a real dominant performance to put everyone “on blast” instead of doing it after a Westbrook-esque box score night.

lol, in the post before yours i said he still has too many 9/25 nights from the field. didn't even realize he'd done that tonight. 

50 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Just passing through to put some ignorance on blast. The rest of you can move on.

Yes because you are so famously right with your picks...

Also lol at your victory lap because Trae shot like shit but won a game to tie the eastern conference semi finals. Really all time stuff there.

36 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah i still like Tatum. the size, the versatility, plus the efficiency are all >>> Trae. Trae still has way too many 9/25 FG shooting nights with 6 TOs for me to hitch my wagons to him. still, you're acting as if picking him third here is some huge diss. i've been one of the biggest proponents of Trae as NBA player around here since he was still at OU. i like him a lot- like, a lot a lot. but he definitely still needs to tighten it up a bit before i take him ahead of Tatum. and it's razor thin for me between Mitchell and Trae. Mitchell has gotten more efficient and his stock has risen in my eyes. i could switch him and Trae at 2 and 3 on my list and it wouldn't bother me.

Fair.

34 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Trae went for 8-26 tonight and they barely beat Philly despite Embiid having his worst offensive game ever. Maybe wait for a real dominant performance to put everyone “on blast” instead of doing it after a Westbrook-esque box score night.

Yeah but unlike Westbrook he led his heavily-overmatched team to a win in the playoffs as the only all-star. Trae shoots because he has to. Westbrook shoots because he wants to. 

I understand I'm stirring shit up and being a dick but it's because I rate this guy extremely highly and it was ridiculous to see so many people slot him 3rd or 4th in that list of 4 players that have yet to prove anything. Tatum is great. No objection here if you'd take Tatum over Trae. But if you would seriously take Donovan Mitchell over Trae Young right now I'm not interested in hearing any further opinions of yours on the NBA or basketball in general. 

Trae led a 5 seed to a 5 game series win as by far the best player on the court and has now knotted up the 1 seed in the East after 4 games. That is more impressive than anything Tatum, Mitchell or Booker have done in the playoffs. 

49 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And I understand this is an uphill battle seeing as we're on a Horns message board. 

There is zero chance I would take Trae first of those guys. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Fair.

Yeah but unlike Westbrook he led his heavily-overmatched team to a win in the playoffs as the only all-star. Trae shoots because he has to. Westbrook shoots because he wants to. 

I understand I'm stirring shit up and being a dick but it's because I rate this guy extremely highly and it was ridiculous to see so many people slot him 3rd or 4th in that list of 4 players that have yet to prove anything. Tatum is great. No objection here if you'd take Tatum over Trae. But if you would seriously take Donovan Mitchell over Trae Young right now I'm not interested in hearing any further opinions of yours on the NBA or basketball in general. 

Trae led a 5 seed to a 5 game series win as by far the best player on the court and has now knotted up the 1 seed in the East after 4 games. That is more impressive than anything Tatum, Mitchell or Booker have done in the playoffs. 

Why was it ridiculous to slot him there? He’s accomplished less than Tatum and the same as Mitchell and Booker. Honestly I’m not even sure what you’re cheat thumping about.

Tatum was the best player on an East finals team.

Mitchell has scored 50 points in the playoffs and has gone exactly as far as Trae.

Booker is the least accomplished of the other guys and he has done exactly the same amount as Trae.

Edited by hobbes2702

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yes because you are so famously right with your picks...

Basically every ML or spread bet I take I post here pregame and I'm at least batting above .600 right now for the playoffs. 

Where are your picks, chief?

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Basically every ML or spread bet I take I post here pregame and I'm at least batting above .600 right now for the playoffs. 

Where are your picks, chief?

I’m not the one calling people out after Trae shot 30% in a 2nd round game. But you saw my picks on these players. I took the guy that’s 6’8” and plays defense and has gone farther than Trae has in the playoffs. Imagine being sanctimonious about Trae Young lol.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m not the one calling people out after Trae shot 30% in a 2nd round game. But you saw my picks on these players. I took the guy that’s 6’8” and plays defense and has gone farther than Trae has in the playoffs. Imagine being sanctimonious about Trae Young lol.

Drive home safely.

20210614_222546.thumb.jpg.28972a295cc64cc164d11fdd257ebcf1.jpg

Oh - and this isn't a bullshit Covid bubble year like when Mitchell had 57.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Hey tell me about that time that Trae had more playoff success than Tatum?

Not sure why you're hanging on the Tatum comp. I've already admitted I'd have no qualms with anyone taking Tatum over Trae. Let me know the next time Booker or Mitchell has 18 dimes in a win against the best team in their conference. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not sure why you're hanging on the Tatum comp. I've already admitted I'd have no qualms with anyone taking Tatum over Trae. Let me know the next time Booker or Mitchell has 18 dimes in a win against the best team in their conference. 

Well see Booker is already playing in the west finals. Mitchell has 50 points in a playoff game. Does Trae have that?

Did you even read my post you quoted. Trae would be 2 on my list if we only cared about offense. Your fascination with spiking the football at the 5yd line based on a 30% shooting night to tie a series at 2, in the 2nd round, is legitimately just kinda weird.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well see Booker is already playing in the west finals.

Booker isn't even the best player on his team.

Mitchell has 50 points in a playoff game. Does Trae have that?

Bubble stats were horseshit and you know that. The fucking Heat made the Finals in the bubble. Just stop.

Just now, ztejas said:

Booker isn't even the best player on his team.

Bubble stats were horseshit and you know that. The fucking Heat made the Finals in the bubble. Just stop.

Oh ok so some stuff doesn’t count. Right. Maybe you should drink some water instead 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Oh ok so some stuff doesn’t count. Right.

Yeah. Some shit is different. Like when everyone gets a 3 month break and then plays at Disneyworld in front of zero fans. Fuck me for thinking that was different than a normal NBA year. 

Remind me what the Jazz ended up doing in the bubble.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Yeah. Some shit is different. Like when everyone gets a 3 month break and then plays at Disneyworld in front of zero fans. Fuck me for thinking that was different than a normal NBA year. 

Remind me what the Jazz ended up doing in the bubble.

Seriously dude take a break. 

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Coming into this game Mitchell was averaging 32 PPG on 48/44/85 shooting splits in this postseason. So …

Coming into tonight Trae was averaging 29/10 on 45/34/92 so... 

And he's the focal point of the opposing team's defense every single night unlike Mitchell.