Jump to content

the USFL is back


Sandman

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm a football enthusiast, and the product sucks. 

That’s just begging for a snarky response but I’ll hold my tongue.

I didn’t start the thread. It went for 7 pages then stopped. I’ve found it occasionally entertaining. Sometimes the NFL sucks too. I like to watch MAC football. I get good quality HD broadcasts of high school football in the fall. Sometimes those games suck, sometimes they’re awesome. There’s usually something worth seeing.

Its better than watching any other sport. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Turned on the tv and saw a game on.  Came here expecting a long and distinguished thread about this league.  Holy shit how is this league making money.  There’s more fans in a HS JV game than this.  

You should see the stands when Birmingham isn’t playing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Damn - try watching the (any) game with closed captioning on...  Whoever is getting paid to do this must have a 2 fingered, dyslexic kangaroo doing the typing with his tail...  MS Teams or Zoom auto translate does way better than this crap...  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Turned on the tv and saw a game on.  Came here expecting a long and distinguished thread about this league.  Holy shit how is this league making money.  There’s more fans in a HS JV game than this.  

This message board is a more sports fan centric demographic than most, and nobody here seems to care. One thread for the entire league, and it looks like post #207 was the first post once the season started. So basically one month, 16 games, and 160 posts of which about 20% are probably making fun of attendance. I'm guessing  we have at least a dozen cfb threads each week about random games that get 50-100 posts.

I would bet less than 5% of people on this board would have any idea which team is in 1st place without looking it up. If nobody on this board gives a fuck, who exactly is the target audience? Will be interesting next spring when the XFL is also giving it a go. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

This message board is a more sports fan centric demographic than most, and nobody here seems to care. One thread for the entire league, and it looks like post #207 was the first post once the season started. So basically one month, 16 games, and 160 posts of which about 20% are probably making fun of attendance. I'm guessing  we have at least a dozen cfb threads each week about random games that get 50-100 posts.

I would bet less than 5% of people on this board would have any idea which team is in 1st place without looking it up. If nobody on this board gives a fuck, who exactly is the target audience? Will be interesting next spring when the XFL is also giving it a go. 

I dunno who has the best record, but I know Fuckface Fisher's team is tied for the worst at 1-4. That's pretty much all I even care to know about this joke of a league.

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Blotto said:

This message board is a more sports fan centric demographic than most, and nobody here seems to care. One thread for the entire league, and it looks like post #207 was the first post once the season started. So basically one month, 16 games, and 160 posts of which about 20% are probably making fun of attendance. I'm guessing  we have at least a dozen cfb threads each week about random games that get 50-100 posts.

I would bet less than 5% of people on this board would have any idea which team is in 1st place without looking it up. If nobody on this board gives a fuck, who exactly is the target audience? Will be interesting next spring when the XFL is also giving it a go. 

I know that Birmingham, coached by Skip Holtz, is undefeated and in first place overall and in the south division. The New Jersey Generals, coached by Mike Riley, has one loss (and I want to say that was to Birmingham maybe in the season’s opening game but I’m not sure) lead the north division.

I watched Houston, coached by Kevin Sumlin, get beat on a last second TD by Pittsburgh yesterday, giving the Maulers their first win on the season. Their QB Vlad Lee only joined the team a week earlier. The week before, the New Orleans Breakers, coached by Larry Fedora, beat Houston on a game-winning TD with something like  10 seconds left on the clock. Former Buckeye Johnnie Dixon plays for the Breakers and I’ve seen him catch three TD’s. I honestly didn’t know that he wasn’t still playing in the NFL. I always liked him. Maybe he’s just too small. But you figure everyone out there has dreams of making it back to the NFL. Plus it’s football in the spring so why not watch?

It’s not always pretty but I’ve seen some great plays. Pittsburgh WR Bailey Gaither’s first TD catch in double coverage yesterday was pretty impressive. (He also caught the game winner.) They also have the coaches mic’d up and you can hear them calling plays. Before the final play of the Pittsburgh-Houston game yesterday we got to hear the coach discussing with the QB what play he felt most comfortable with. The coach was leaning toward one play, Lee chose another then went out and won his first start. I was entertained. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With NIL money, the compensation is probably better at a top football factory college team than the USFL. I think the pay is $4500 per game or $45K for the full season for USFL players, and I think there is a hard cap (I could be wrong). Plenty of college players getting more than that, plus all living expenses covered while at school. The top colleges will probably also have larger coaching staffs and more money spent on S&C, trainers, etc... My bet would be on a school like Bama, UGA over these USFL teams, but you would see teams from both leagues win games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With NIL money, the compensation is probably better at a top football factory college team than the USFL. I think the pay is $4500 per game or $45K for the full season for USFL players, and I think there is a hard cap (I could be wrong). Plenty of college players getting more than that, plus all living expenses covered while at school. The top colleges will probably also have larger coaching staffs and more money spent on S&C, trainers, etc... My bet would be on a school like Bama, UGA over these USFL teams, but you would see teams from both leagues win games. 

Also, the top colleges have way more nfl talent than any usfl team.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

UGA would kick the shit out of every usfl team I’ve seen. They are a looooong way from the nfl.

Not as long away as any college team. That’s such a tired argument. The USFL is loaded with players who got drafted into the NFL and didn’t pan out. College teams are loaded with players who will never even get drafted and never play a down of professional ball of any kind. Even the USFL teams have players who are older, more experienced, better developed, and playing a more complex game from an X’s and O’s standpoint. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Not as long away as any college team. That’s such a tired argument. The USFL is loaded with players who got drafted into the NFL and didn’t pan out. College teams are loaded with players who will never even get drafted and never play a down of professional ball of any kind. Even the USFL teams have players who are older, more experienced, better developed, and playing a more complex game from an X’s and O’s standpoint. 

The talent delta is much smaller between the USFL <-> college and  the NFL<-> college. If this list is to be trusted as fairly accurate, it looks like most of the USFL teams have 5-10 players with NFL experience.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/usfl-players-nfl-experience-recognizable-names

By comparison, last years Georgia squad had 15 players drafted in the 2022 draft. The USFL may have more talent than a team like New Mexico State, but its not clear to me they have more talent than a Bama or GA. There is the age difference, but then again, a lot of these USFL players that havent been in a league for a year or two may not have been getting equivalent training to a 4th year player at a college football factory. Half of those USFL rosters may have been out of football last year and working at a warehouse. I look at any NFL team and think they win 10 out of 10 vs Bama, GA etc... I dont think its that clear cut for the USFL.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Blotto said:

This message board is a more sports fan centric demographic than most,

If you can find another sports fan message board with more sub-forums devoted to non-sports-related topics than this one, I’d like to see it. Have you visited many others? This is the only one I’ve been on where I can post nudie pics, for one thing. And there are many times of the year where the traffic here is overwhelmingly not sports-related. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If you can find another sports fan message board with more sub-forums devoted to non-sports-related topics than this one, I’d like to see it. Have you visited many others? This is the only one I’ve been on where I can post nudie pics, for one thing. And there are many times of the year where the traffic here is overwhelmingly not sports-related. 

And yet the fact remains that the football forum has 1M+ posts and is the largest subforum on the site. The other sports subforums bring in another 1 million posts. While we may have other areas of interest that we categorize to keep things less confusing, I stand by my comments that the majority of posters on this site spend more time watching and discussing sports than most sites on the internet. If there was no discussion of Longhorn sports on this site, it would be a much different site and far less trafficked. 

As for other sites, I dont really spend a lot of time on other sports boards, but off the top of my head, based on time spent laughing at aggy, SEC rant has a large number of non sports boards. For that matter Texags probably has more non sports boards as well. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Blotto said:

The talent delta is much smaller between the USFL <-> college and  the NFL<-> college. If this list is to be trusted as fairly accurate, it looks like most of the USFL teams have 5-10 players with NFL experience.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/usfl-players-nfl-experience-recognizable-names

By comparison, last years Georgia squad had 15 players drafted in the 2022 draft. The USFL may have more talent than a team like New Mexico State, but its not clear to me they have more talent than a Bama or GA. There is the age difference, but then again, a lot of these USFL players that havent been in a league for a year or two may not have been getting equivalent training to a 4th year player at a college football factory. Half of those USFL rosters may have been out of football last year and working at a warehouse. I look at any NFL team and think they win 10 out of 10 vs Bama, GA etc... I dont think its that clear cut for the USFL.

Right.  I think a USFL team probably beats most college teams outside of the top 10-15 annually.   Jacksonville would whip Georgia or Bama anytime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We can all agree that that Texas Longhorns would lose to all but Jeff Fisher's team, no?

The Texas Longhorns gave up 51 in a home loss to Kansas. They’d lose to a Fisher Price team.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, tbone_ said:


The Texas Longhorns gave up 51 in a home loss to Kansas. They’d lose to a Fisher Price team.

Like Fisher could put up 51 on anybody with a pulse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

56 yd FG by Michigan is good. 

"Michigan"

It’s a Twix Birmingham! They’re all Twix Birmingham! It was a setup! A setup, I tell ya!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Did Fisher get a new kicker?

No idea. All I know is he still has the same mediocre QB who at times looks like maybe he can cut it but, when it comes down to it, he can’t. Never found.

Also, what the hell just happened? I mean, the game was basically over but I thought there were still a couple minutes on the clock when my local NBC affiliate just cut to the news.

Also, *Lulz. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I own that book. 

About this. It was a reference that the announcers made to Fielding Yost’s 1905 book, Football for Player and Spectator. Skip Holtz’s Birmingham team lined up in the T formation a couple times. I think they scored a TD out of it once. Anyway, the announcers were prepared and shared this photo from the book:

480px-Yost_regular_formation_(crop).jpg

In a previous broadcast I heard a couple references to Pudge Heffelfinger. So there are some nods to football history. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Lulz. Houston blocked the New Jersey FG attempt, tried to return it, fumbled the ball, and gave it back to New Jersey. 

Sounds like the Texans play in the USFL, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...