2021 NBA Offseason Thread: Business as Usual? -- Trades/Free Agency/Retirements/Etc.

Patrick Bateman

24 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

He said he doesn’t believe people should be losing their jobs over the mandates so he is standing in solidarity with them. So I guess that kind of is stating his belief? He said he isn’t anti-vax. 

So..... how do you reconcile both of his opinions?  If he's not again the vaccine, then that would mean he sees the value of it and feels the majority of people should take it, right?  Why not advocate for this belief then?  Especially if he feels big business are leveraging labor to do something in their best interests (by implication of him being for the vaccine)?  Why not advocate for increases of education of the vaccine, specifically in pockets of the country or with members of our demographics which are falling behind in vaccination rates?  Why not seek partnerships and synergies with businesses, associations, and companies to promote the vaccine and it's benefits and to not give into fear about the vaccine?  I mean, he's not anti-vaccination so this would seem rational, right?  Why not be a messenger for education and public health, rather than...... the alternative?

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

He said he doesn’t believe people should be losing their jobs over the mandates so he is standing in solidarity with them. So I guess that kind of is stating his belief? He said he isn’t anti-vax. 

Link to where HE said that’s his belief and not “multiple unnamed sources close to Kyrie?” 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

He hasnt said anything.   That was a report without a single quote from him.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So..... how do you reconcile both of his opinions?  If he's not again the vaccine, then that would mean he sees the value of it and feels the majority of people should take it, right?  Why not advocate for this belief then?  Especially if he feels big business are leveraging labor to do something in their best interests (by implication of him being for the vaccine)?  Why not advocate for increases of education of the vaccine, specifically in pockets of the country or with members of our demographics which are falling behind in vaccination rates?  Why not seek partnerships and synergies with businesses, associations, and companies to promote the vaccine and it's benefits and to not give into fear about the vaccine?  I mean, he's not anti-vaccination so this would seem rational, right?  Why not be a messenger for education and public health, rather than...... the alternative?

I’m pro-life personally but I think pro-choice is the better route for society. I would absolutely never advocate for abortion but I absolutely see the need or value or desire for it and i understand a persons choice to do anything with their life is not my choice to demand. Do you recommend I only attend pro-life events and shame anyone who has a differing opinion? I personally don’t belief I should put myself or anyone else in that position because it isn’t my prerogative or communal responsibility to advocate one way or the other. 

I sympathize with both sides of the coin and I will probably stand with the side that I more believe in even if I have to sacrifice. That doesn’t make me an anti-abortionsist it just makes me someone who has my values and is willing to side with them. 

There is no reason to polarize because of it because I won’t argue for or against my personal belief. It is ok to be agnostic and not antagonistic against either side. 

Edited by Jhawk

21 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I’m pro-life personally but I think pro-choice is the better route for society. I would absolutely never advocate for abortion but I absolutely see the need or value or desire for it and i understand a persons choice to do anything with their life is not my choice to demand. Do you recommend I only attend pro-life events and shame anyone who has a differing opinion? I personally don’t belief I should put myself or anyone else in that position because it isn’t my prerogative or communal responsibility to advocate one way or the other. 

I sympathize with both sides of the coin and I will probably stand with the side that I more believe in even if I have to sacrifice. That doesn’t make me an anti-abortionsist it just makes me someone who has my values and is willing to side with them. 

There is no reason to polarize because of it because I won’t argue for or against my personal belief. It is ok to be agnostic and not antagonistic against either side. 

So..... basically, you have no logical or rational answer for my questions and resorted to bullshit strawmen comparisons to try and obfuscate that logically..... Kyrie and you basically got nothing and his latest press release from his team was total bullshit.  Got it.

UntriedEvergreenLice-max-1mb.gif

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Im going to say yes, bc you made a choice and those are the consequences and you knew them 

The Nets are still on the hook to pay him $16 million this season, correct? He's made $160 million in his career from salary alone, not to mention he receives another $11 million per year for his Nike contract plus another $6 million in other endorsements reportedly. I have a difficult time feeling bad for him for all the money he's losing. What a martyr.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Nets are still on the hook to pay him $16 million this season, correct? He's made $160 million in his career from salary alone, not to mention he receives another $11 million per year for his Nike contract plus another $6 million in other endorsements reportedly. I have a difficult time feeling bad for him for all the money he's losing. What a martyr.
But think about the endorsement opportunities he has if he gets banned from the NBA! He will be paid hundreds of thousands to come talk to evangelical mega-church youth groups, RNC functions and maybe even some Trump fundraisers for 2024!
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The Nets aren't on the hook, they've made that decision based on the municipality rules and public sentiment.  They could choose not to pay him at all and then fight it out in the inevitable law suits that Kyrie and the NBAPA would file.  Kyrie is in an enviable position of having the economic resources to do whatever he wants to do.  That's fine, but I don't think one should be paid for work if not adhering to public health needs.  He's choosing not to play...... that's fine.  No issues, but he shouldn't be paid to play.  Unfortunately for him, he can't do his profession from home, he actually has to be actively and physically involved. 

Endorsements are just that.  The firms have to figure out if his stance will have impacts on his ability to be a good endorser for their product.  If they feel this won't matter, then continue to partner with him.  

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

How about those Lakers? Winless in the preseason... what's that about???

Yeah, I tried, but I can't muster up the slightest of shits about preseason basketball.

I liked Westbrook with 6 turnovers in the 1Q of their first game. Soaking the wet garbage in that dumpster with some Kingsford.

They'll probably win the title to drive a shiv into my gut. 

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

FB_IMG_1634239815642.jpg

It's not looking good but I think they'll be okay if they stay healthy (which may be a big if). Their supporting cast should be better than last year. 

Durant almost bounced the champs single handedly last year. It will be interesting to see how much they need to get over the hump - as I expect MIL to be a tougher out this time around. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I liked Westbrook with 6 turnovers in the 1Q of their first game. Soaking the wet garbage in that dumpster with some Kingsford.

They'll probably win the title to drive a shiv into my gut. 

If nothing else, Kyrie pulling a Kyrie makes this year's title wide fucking open. Though a healthy KD and Harden still probably makes the Nets the favorites by a hair.

38 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If nothing else, Kyrie pulling a Kyrie makes this year's title wide fucking open. Though a healthy KD and Harden still probably makes the Nets the favorites by a hair.

The one thing which really stood out to me when watching Kyrie's IG response and it seems like a theme from those of his ilk is the amount of "me", "I", "for myself".  Yes, it's an individual decision, but there is no citizenry or greater good which comes into their line of thinking.  It's always has been and always will be about them and now their victimhood.  It's never about taking care of of others, their neighbors, their friends, their community.  It's them and they throw in their nuclear family at times to help with sentiment.  It's a degree of selfishness which we could have a rather inspired discussion about but this isn't the place other than to note, Kyrie is thinking only of himself, not his Nets or organizational family, not of his friends, not of his community.  Just himself.

And yea, the Nets may be the East fave by a little right now, but they'll need perfect health in the playoffs from Harden and KD now.  They can still beat almost anyone with those guys and enough supporting cast help like Griffin, LMA, Harris and others, but they'll need to be fresh and not banged up at all.

• Hook 'Em 3

Crazy idea here, but suppose the Nets have no other offers on the table for Kyrie, but the Lakers are willing to send Westbrook and 3 1st round picks to Brooklyn for him. The Durant, Harden, Westbrook trio reunite as Nets and go on to win the championship and show a glimpse of what could have been if they had better management in OKC! It would be a fun story to follow, not a completely overwhelming team to get the ring, and KD would easily be the MVP leading them to a championship that no one can question.

4 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Crazy idea here, but suppose the Nets have no other offers on the table for Kyrie, but the Lakers are willing to send Westbrook and 3 1st round picks to Brooklyn for him. The Durant, Harden, Westbrook trio reunite as Nets and go on to win the championship and show a glimpse of what could have been if they had better management in OKC! It would be a fun story to follow, not a completely overwhelming team to get the ring, and KD would easily be the MVP leading them to a championship that no one can question.

except for the fact that KD would never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever sign off on a trade for Westbrook.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Lakers dont have the picks to do it anyway

• Hook 'Em 1

Zion's out for at least a couple of more weeks. Shocker.

New Orleans Pelicans forward Zion Williamson will miss the start of the regular season because of a right foot injury that required offseason surgery, Pelicans vice president of basketball operations David Griffin said on Thursday.

Williamson received scans on Wednesday, and after reviewing the scans with Dr. Richard Ferkel and Pelicans team doctor Dr. Scott Montgomery, Griffin said the doctors were "very encouraged" by the healing of the bone.

However, there was no "fixed timeline" given on Williamson's return-to-play status. Griffin said Williamson will get more scans in two to 2½ weeks and the team will go from there.

"It's everyone's goal that Zion return to play as soon as safely possible," Griffin said. "Obviously, two to 2½ weeks from now means he will not be on the floor for the first week of games. When he is able to return safely, we will do that."

At media day on Sept. 27, Griffin said Williamson injured the foot prior to summer league in the early part of the offseason but added at the time that "his timeline should get him back on the court in time for the regular season."

Williamson followed that up by saying, "I expect to be back for the first game. First official game, I would say." Griffin said there have been no setbacks in Williamson's recovery and that nothing has gone wrong, either.

18 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The one thing which really stood out to me when watching Kyrie's IG response and it seems like a theme from those of his ilk is the amount of "me", "I", "for myself". 

It's so on brand for him. As if nobody saw that coming from arguably the worst teammate in the league. The guy has been a selfish asshole everywhere he's been. He blew up Cleveland because he didn't want to be Lebron's second banana. He screwed over the Celtics by saying he would re-sign there and then bailed for Brooklyn. He just flat out took a vacation in the middle of the season last year for "reasons." And normally I'd give that last one a pass for mental health self-care, but he hasn't earned any benefit of the doubt. 

"LiAngelo, look, we both know that you're not an NBA player, but we'll pay you to come suck shit through a straw for one practice to prove to your loudmouth little brother that you can't hack it at this level. Sound good? It's not like you have anything else going on."

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

"LiAngelo, look, we both know that you're not an NBA player, but we'll pay you to come suck shit through a straw for one practice to prove to your loudmouth little brother that you can't hack it at this level. Sound good? It's not like you have anything else going on."

I watched them trail Dallas by 70 the other night.  I thought he might have a shot at making the roster.

Apparently it was to send him to their G League team.
I'm not sure why they can't just... sign him to the G League. Seems like something the NBA could streamline a bit better.  
Doesn't he get league minimum salary at the very least by doing this? There may also be some NBA years of service designation involved.

6 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I would bet my life on it -- that I could make more than 34 out of 100 if I went to the park right now. 

I haven't hooped more than 3-4 times in the last 5 years.

I don't know if I would bet my life but if someone bet me $33 million and gave me 5 months to practice I have no doubt I could best that.

Edited by Llogg

On 10/14/2021 at 7:44 AM, aggie08 said:

Yeah, I tried, but I can't muster up the slightest of shits about preseason basketball.

Okay, okay, I know what I said, BUT...

Hear me out. The Warriors are undefeated, Steph is itching to go, to quote Zach Lowe, "Jordan Poole is ready for his moment," they didn't trade Wiseman (yet), so they must think he's capable of a 2nd year jump, Wiggins isn't as selfish as Kyrie, 4 random guys around even a diminished Draymond equals a Top 5 defense, and Klay will be back in 2022. 82-0 here we come baby! (Are they even playing 82 games this year? I have no fucking idea.) Whew!

Edited by aggie08

I don't know if I would bet my life but if someone bet me $33 million and gave me 5 months to practice I have no doubt I could best that.

Ben Simmons challenge completed. In the dark, at the community center outdoor court with double rims. No warm up. 85 degrees. 80% humidity.

I shot in groups of 10:

6/10
6/10
8/10 (8 in a row)
6/10
4/10 (tiring)
5/10 (missed last 4)

35/60 - 58%

b983eb288a47664e218f036b0ea3eb10.jpg

I could miss the next 40 and still have a better pct than Ben.
  • Hook 'Em 4

Ben Simmons challenge completed. In the dark, at the community center outdoor court with double rims. No warm up. 85 degrees. 80% humidity.

I shot in groups of 10:

6/10
6/10
8/10 (8 in a row)
6/10
4/10 (tiring)
5/10 (missed last 4)

35/60 - 58%

b983eb288a47664e218f036b0ea3eb10.jpg

I could miss the next 40 and still have a better pct than Ben.

nobody shoots 58% with double rim BS. You have to basically swish every shot
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/16/2021 at 3:27 AM, Fastbreak said:

I would bet my life on it -- that I could make more than 34 out of 100 if I went to the park right now. 

I haven't hooped more than 3-4 times in the last 5 years.

The lady and I did this right after the playoffs. We each took 50 on the hoop outside. Both of us beat him easily and I’m a terrible shooter.

• Like 1