KXAN evening news changes

gsoda3

Left town for a bit and came back to a slew of changes.

Sydney Benter apparently didn't get her contract renewed. Coincidentally she'd stopped wearing her wedding ring last month but I don't think the events are related. Fwiw she's staying in Austin but doesn't have anything lined up.

Erin Cargile is also leaving. She had complained KXAN didn't support mothers well enough not too long ago (she recently had a baby).

New anchorwoman is Britt Moreno.

My girls Jenni Lee and Quita still on air in Austin?  
Yep. Quita is still anchoring on KVUE. Jenni isn't the weekend morning anchor anymore, but you see her from time to time. KVUE seems to be in cost control mode. I think they've got most of their weather & sports people filling co-anchor spots in the morning.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Is Sydney Benter the one with the longass neck? That’s all I ever noticed

It is unfathomable that you didn’t notice her nasally voice that was more annoying than fingernails on a chalkboard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks.  Both are just so damn cute.  
CSB. Quita and I were HS friends (she's a year older than me). She lived down the street, and about the only thing to do in NW Austin at that time was to go to the Jim's at 183-Spicewood/McNeil. The voice she uses on TV is an act, and as kids we'd crack up when she'd use that voice & tempo to order an Old Smokey and chocolate milkshake. Hell, the waitresses would gather around & laugh while she'd order for the table like she was reporting the news. What a gift.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

It is unfathomable that you didn’t notice her nasally voice that was more annoying than fingernails on a chalkboard. 

She is the mother of my unborn child! We're not even blood! I have no qualms with sticking you! I will equalize you!

• Hook 'Em 1

CSB. Quita and I were HS friends (she's a year older than me). She lived down the street, and about the only thing to do in NW Austin at that time was to go to the Jim's at 183-Spicewood/McNeil. The voice she uses on TV is an act, and as kids we'd crack up when she'd use that voice & tempo to order an Old Smokey and chocolate milkshake. Hell, the waitresses would gather around & laugh while she'd order for the table like she was reporting the news. What a gift.
I have a friend from HS who is a NPR anchor. Most newsreaders don't speak like that in real life. Maybe Hadlock does. It was always fun when she put on her newscaster voice.

8 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:
9 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:
I miss the old shaggy hot chicks reading news/weather/traffic thread. From what I recall it actually had pictures of said hot chicks 

That thread is alive and well here at Surly, it just has a different name (check the lulz board).

Well I’ll be damned. There it is. Thanks 

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I had a thing for Tania Ortega, but she parlayed her small gig into a decent job with the City of Austin.

But Bettie Cross is my favorite - she seems like she'd be a lot of fun, and she's aged very well.

Yeah, Bettie was another cutie.  Michelle V. of KXAN was smoke. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Hadlock has had a great run, but he needs to be put out to pasture.

Different city but this made me go check if Bill Balleza is still on in Houston. I was amazed to still see that exact same dude from my childhood on the local news at my dads house not long ago, but looks like he retired last year.

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Different city but this made me go check if Bill Balleza is still on in Houston. I was amazed to still see that exact same dude from my childhood on the local news at my dads house not long ago, but looks like he retired last year.

Speaking of Houston, Shara Fryer slid on over to talk radio.