Austin Mass Shooting

Guest Lobo

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 12:59 PM, Hate said:

While I absolutely share Nick’s sadness and anger, those kids aren’t doing homework.

Different case. Same DA

Assistant District Attorney Resigns from Jose Garza’s Office After Being Asked to Delete Evidence

Friday, July 2nd, 2021

https://www.saveaustinnowpac.com/corruption-reigns-under-travis-county-district-attorney-jose-garza?fbclid=IwAR2kvb3VqkVtdFYyPpWdEoWRquXfUtpbNB-YjZYV9mqNuuR0yjTqw3Tk0ok

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

The two who had charges dropped were involved, were breaking the law carrying guns and they get a free pass?  Really?  There's got to more to the story than that, doesn't there?

The “more to the story” is that the DA’s office has years to file charges related to this incident. It’s not really a free pass, at this point.

Different case. Same DA

Assistant District Attorney Resigns from Jose Garza’s Office After Being Asked to Delete Evidence

Friday, July 2nd, 2021

https://www.saveaustinnowpac.com/corruption-reigns-under-travis-county-district-attorney-jose-garza?fbclid=IwAR2kvb3VqkVtdFYyPpWdEoWRquXfUtpbNB-YjZYV9mqNuuR0yjTqw3Tk0ok

Not that the Save Austin Now hucksters give a shit about being accurate or truthful but a prosecutor’s notes aren’t evidence.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The “more to the story” is that the DA’s office has years to file charges related to this incident. It’s not really a free pass, at this point.

….because letting years pass, evidence go stale and investigative team personnel turnover is a proven strategy for success!

I guess I missed the CNN Headline “aLLegEd AuSTiN maSs shoOtERs seT frEe WitHoUt anY chArGeS!!

5 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

….because letting years pass, evidence go stale and investigative team personnel turnover is a proven strategy for success!

I guess I missed the CNN Headline “aLLegEd AuSTiN maSs shoOtERs seT frEe WitHoUt anY chArGeS!!

Umm…he was set free without any charges.  They then had to go on a manhunt to find him again.

27 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Two women were shot last night right after bars closed in the same block on Sixth Street last night and are in the hospital with life-threatening injuries.

https://www.kvue.com/video/news/crime/sixth-street-shooting-north-austin-shooting/269-ae0b50a0-21ff-41b7-b69b-70bd5f49e709

Very glad I got to experience 6th back before it turned into the shithole it is now. Sucks for the current college kids. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Very glad I got to experience 6th back before it turned into the shithole it is now. Sucks for the current college kids. 

No kidding. I came down here full-time as a married grad student in 1996 so never really went full jello shots, balls-to-the-wall partying down there but did enjoy the scene and occasional live show before we had a kid. Prior to that, I did get to experience a couple of SxSWs during spring break in the early 1990s. Now as a 50yo, I kind of shutter at the thought of the current experience - partly because I'm getting old but mostly because of what it's seemingly become.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Two women were shot last night right after bars closed in the same block on Sixth Street last night and are in the hospital with life-threatening injuries.

https://www.kvue.com/video/news/crime/sixth-street-shooting-north-austin-shooting/269-ae0b50a0-21ff-41b7-b69b-70bd5f49e709

Why not tell us where the northwest shooting was asshole! (Reporter). No suspect descriptions from fucking 6th at 2am?  The fuck are they doing?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

No kidding. I came down here full-time as a married grad student in 1996 so never really went full jello shots, balls-to-the-wall partying down there but did enjoy the scene and occasional live show before we had a kid. Prior to that, I did get to experience a couple of SxSWs during spring break in the early 1990s. Now as a 50yo, I kind of shutter at the thought of the current experience - partly because I'm getting old but mostly because of what it's seemingly become.

Prior to the Twitter launch SXSW days, 6th was never better than late 90s SXSW. Live music at every bar. Plenty of free swag/alcohol from vendors/merchants. Didn’t need a wristband to see a shitload of music 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, bolverk said:

No kidding. I came down here full-time as a married grad student in 1996 so never really went full jello shots, balls-to-the-wall partying down there but did enjoy the scene and occasional live show before we had a kid. Prior to that, I did get to experience a couple of SxSWs during spring break in the early 1990s. Now as a 50yo, I kind of shutter* at the thought of the current experience - partly because I'm getting old but mostly because of what it's seemingly become.

*Shudder

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

Haven't been keeping up.

Are the suspects in this shooting ROT Rally bikers, too?

1 hour ago, Somnio said:

Haven't been keeping up.

Are the suspects in this shooting ROT Rally bikers, too?

This is all I've found:

Two women shot in second downtown Austin Sixth Street shooting in a month

Two women suffered life-threatening injuries early Monday when they were shot on Sixth Street — the second shooting in the downtown Austin bar district in less than a month.

The Austin Police Department had not reported making any arrests in the shooting as of Monday afternoon.

Officers responded at 2:04 a.m. to the shooting near the intersection of East Sixth and Trinity streets — almost exactly at the site of a mass shooting June 12 in which 25-year-old Douglas Kantor was killed and 13 people were wounded.

Monday's victims suffered injuries that police Lt. Duane Peed described as "life-threatening gunshot wounds."

No further information from the Police Department was immediately available.

In the days after the June shooting, police initially arrested two Killeen teenagers. However, Travis County District Attorney José Garza dropped those charges after announcing that the investigation led them to believe another Killeen teen had carried out the shooting.

The move has prompted criticism from some, including Kantor's family, for freeing two individuals who interim Police Chief Joe Chacon said had guns and were involved in the melee. Garza said he has not ruled out filing new charges against the two who were initially arrested.

De'ondre White, 19, is charged with murder in the June shooting and is being held in the Travis County Jail in lieu of $1 million bail.

Speaking of Austin mass shootings, here is an interesting account of the Whitman/Tower massacre that I had never read before:
https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2016/07/31/the-loaded-legacy-of-the-university-of-texas-tower-shooting/

I know we joke about you being an old ass, but didn’t you mention before that you were on campus when that happened?

Also, I don’t think it had shit to do with the formation of SWAT.

37 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I know we joke about you being an old ass, but didn’t you mention before that you were on campus when that happened?

Also, I don’t think it had shit to do with the formation of SWAT.

I was eating a burger with my summer school roommate at the Holiday House on the Drag when Whitman started. We noticed all the sirens & ambulances racing up the street but didn’t know what was going on until we walked around to the parking lot on 21st ( where the Dobie dorm highrise now stands). Other students shouted to get down about the same time a bunch of gunshots rang out, so we crouched behind a car and looked over the trees at the Tower to see him leaning over the parapet with his rifle. I heard plenty of nearby return fire not long after that causing concrete & stone chips to fly, so Whitman had to just start shooting from the drain spouts. 
Saw the little Cessna circling the Tower (Sheriff Boutwell was riding in it with his deer rifle to get a shot at the sniper) suddenly pull away (Whitman may have hit it).

When we saw a white cloth waving from the observation deck, hundreds of people rushed the mall and milled around. We had to step over several pools of blood. I saw a Texas Ranger (in Stetson & dark suit) carrying a Thompson SMG. Also saw a Daily Texan staffer wearing a GI helmet holding his his clipboard. The crowd was angry and someone shouted “Let’s hang him when they bring him out”. Of course we didn’t know yet what had happened up top.

There were no counselors sent in, no closure events or anything like they provide today. We just went down to Scholz’s that evening and got drunk.

The Tower Massacre was certainly a part to the impetus to form some sort of a rapid reaction system to counter such incidents, but there were other factors too.  A few years later SWAT teams were developed.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 5

12 hours ago, Armybrat said:

The Tower Massacre was certainly a part to the impetus to form some sort of a rapid reaction system to counter such incidents, but there were other factors too.  A few years later SWAT teams were developed.

Yep.  It was definitely a part.  Black Panther responses (standoff) in the '60's were another.  Watts Riots as well.  First teams were in CA. 

I think the biggest factor with Whitman was from a tactical sense.  The need for SWAT teams to have a long-range, standoff capability to be able to return fire at distance or neutralize a threat.  Revolvers and shotguns didn't cut it. 

Red necks with deer rifles helped keep Whitman down and bought responders time to get to casualties and get into the tower while LEO's raced to/fro to get ammo from local stores to provide to the shooters.  

• 2 years later...

Jury finds De’Ondre White guilty of murder in Sixth Street mass shooting

Enjoy jail dipshit. 

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/scared-didnt-want-to-go-to-jail-6th-street-mass-shooting-suspect-testifies-in-murder-trial/

Jessica Ramirez was also shot and paralyzed in June of 2021. She was planning to testify on Thursday, but her mother said she had a seizure after hearing White was found guilty of murder on Wednesday night. Velma Ramirez testified in her daughter’s place saying, "It's very hard. It's very hard. She gets all depressed. She started crying and said I would prefer being dead than not being able to do anything."

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/21-year-old-is-facing-up-to-life-in-prison-for-6th-street-mass-shooting#

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 3