Austin Mass Shooting

Guest Lobo

I wish he was a Soros stooge, at least he'd have some resources and access to educated people.  Garza is just some sort of Coen brothers foil.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I wish he was a Soros stooge, at least he'd have some resources and access to educated people.  Garza is just some sort of Coen brothers foil.  

According to the first link, the Austin Monitor, Soros donated $652,000+ to the Texas Justice & Public Safety PAC, which in turn donated $600,000 to Garza. That makes Garza a Soros stooge in anyone’s book.
He has done the same in many other major cities, helping lameasses like Garza get elected. Nice work for a convicted criminal.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Maybe the City of Austin should pick up the medical bills and funeral bill for the shooting victims. Since we don’t seem to be all that committed to  prosecuting the perps or finding the victims and their families justice or making sure that the perps won’t go right out and do the same shit again? Since the victims decided to go downtown, many for their birthdays, and spend their cash here? I guess we just own them a tshirt? Such a fucking joke. We will just send a stern letter to the Killeen police and the perps’ parents asking them to behave…

Edited by Nicole44

Austin is tough on random visitors.  Reminds me of the Miss fan who was standing on the corner, someone punched him unprovoked, hit head on curb, and either died (or wished he did) a few years ago. 

God bless y’all that pay 2-300% real estate premium to live with the homeless and these politicians. 

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The news that the Travis County District Attorney will drop all charges against the two teenagers previously in custody for the mass shooting in downtown Austin is not sitting well with the family of the man killed in the crossfire.

Nick Kantor, whose brother Douglas Kantor died after the June 12 incident on Sixth Street, said he has little faith in DA José Garza — and believes the investigation is heading in the wrong direction.

“Basically, what I took away from the press conference was that they are not prosecuting violent criminals anymore,” Kantor said. “Nothing we can do now is going to bring my brother back. And that’s something we have to accept and grieve in our own way. But moving forward, we don’t want to see more people going through what we are going through.”

Douglas Kantor’s uncle, Larry Lightner, expressed his disappointment about the teens’ release.

“If I go to Texas, I can now expect to be shot? Is that the idea? By a 15-year-old and he can leave and go do his homework?” Lightner told KXAN’s Alex Caprariello in a Tuesday interview. “… I’m not having it that these other two kids were sitting around eating ice cream…”

The DA probably had them served ice cream upon their release.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/family-of-slain-austin-mass-shooting-victim-has-no-faith-in-investigation/

• Rage+1 1

Maybe the City of Austin should pick up the medical bills and funeral bill for the shooting victims. Since we don’t seem to be all that committed to  prosecuting the perps or finding the victims and their families justice or making sure that the perps won’t go right out and do the same shit again? Since the victims decided to go downtown, many for their birthdays, and spend their cash here? I guess we just own them a tshirt? Such a fucking joke. We will just send a stern letter to the Killeen police and the perps’ parents asking them to behave…

They should send them a “Keep Austin Weird” t-shirt.
  • Haha 1

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The news that the Travis County District Attorney will drop all charges against the two teenagers previously in custody for the mass shooting in downtown Austin is not sitting well with the family of the man killed in the crossfire.

Nick Kantor, whose brother Douglas Kantor died after the June 12 incident on Sixth Street, said he has little faith in DA José Garza — and believes the investigation is heading in the wrong direction.

“Basically, what I took away from the press conference was that they are not prosecuting violent criminals anymore,” Kantor said. “Nothing we can do now is going to bring my brother back. And that’s something we have to accept and grieve in our own way. But moving forward, we don’t want to see more people going through what we are going through.”

Douglas Kantor’s uncle, Larry Lightner, expressed his disappointment about the teens’ release.

“If I go to Texas, I can now expect to be shot? Is that the idea? By a 15-year-old and he can leave and go do his homework?” Lightner told KXAN’s Alex Caprariello in a Tuesday interview. “… I’m not having it that these other two kids were sitting around eating ice cream…”

The DA probably had them served ice cream upon their release.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/family-of-slain-austin-mass-shooting-victim-has-no-faith-in-investigation/

While I absolutely share Nick’s sadness and anger, those kids aren’t doing homework.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DanRydell said:

His job is to prosecute felonies.

A murder took place in the criminal gang activity those kids were directly involved with. That makes them an accessory to murder regardless who did the shooting and who got killed. Last I heard that was a felony.

Of course some Surly lawyer will try to call bullshit on that. But it is not uncommon for those cases to be prosecuted.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

A murder took place in the criminal gang activity those kids were directly involved with. That makes them an accessory to murder regardless who did the shooting and who got killed. Last I heard that was a felony.

Of course some Surly lawyer will try to call bullshit on that. But it is not uncommon for those cases to be prosecuted.

What felony exactly? Which provision of the Texas Penal Code is there probable cause that they violated?

• Fuck You 1

Honest question, because I don't know all the ins and outs of how the legal system works. Does the DA have any say in whether the police release suspects? If not, then their release is also on APD.

Regardless, everyone knows how/where to find them, and one of the articles upthread notes that new charges could still be filed. If they eventually aren't, then I'll start getting upset. If I can be patient waiting years for justice on indicted white collar criminals who have greater bearing on my life, then I can be patient in this case too.

6 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

What felony exactly? Which provision of the Texas Penal Code is there probable cause that they violated?

In case you missed it...

”A murder took place in the criminal gang activity those kids were directly involved with. That makes them an accessory to murder regardless who did the shooting and who got killed. Last I heard that was a felony.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

In case you missed it...

”A murder took place in the criminal gang activity those kids were directly involved with. That makes them an accessory to murder regardless who did the shooting and who got killed. Last I heard that was a felony.”

In what section of the Texas Penal Code exactly can I find the elements of the felony "Accessory to Murder"?

I think unlawful possession of a firearm can be a felony in certain circumstances in Texas but can also be a class A misdemeanor. 

I think they said the 17 year old at least fired his weapon during the incident.  not sure if discharging a firearm being unlawfully carried changes anything.

we've got 14 people shot.  are they saying all bullets came from the 19 year old's gun?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think unlawful possession of a firearm can be a felony in certain circumstances in Texas but can also be a class A misdemeanor. 

I think they said the 17 year old at least fired his weapon during the incident.  not sure if discharging a firearm being unlawfully carried changes anything.

we've got 14 people shot.  are they saying all bullets came from the 19 year old's gun?

Unlawful possession is a felony but possession of a firearm by a minor isn't unlawful possession. Seems they were unlawfully carrying, which is a misdemeanor.

Reckless discharge of a firearm in a county with more than 100k people is a misdemeanor. Discharging a firearm in a manner that constitutes disorderly conduct is also a misdemeanor. The discharge could have been in a manner that would constitute aggravated assault, which is a felony, but I don't think anyone on here has enough information to really say.

No clue on that last part.

On 6/15/2021 at 2:40 PM, Nicole44 said:

More collateral damage from the shooting between two mother fucking assholes. Mother of 5 now paralyzed. This made me cry. I just cannot. I believe she is the woman you see in the videos upthread the police were carrying. And before people start saying defund the police jokes—we are lucky that incident didn’t keep them from responding elsewhere. For other shitheads murdering people. It’s not just about guns. If people stopped breaking the fucking law we’d need fewer of the police. My rant is done. I’m sorry but this story is extremely upsetting. I apologize for offending anyone. 

“Family of a 6th street shooting victim are looking to the community for help with medical expenses.

Jessica Ramirez was out on 6th street Friday night into Saturday morning to celebrate turning 34 later that weekend. She was one of 13 people shot in a mass shooting that left one person dead.

Douglas John Kantor, 25, was in Austin, visiting from out of town, when he was shot and later died at the hospital after fighting for his life for over 30 hours.

As of Monday, Jessica’s mother Bilma told CBS Austin Jessica is in stable condition after a five hour surgery over the weekend, but she has yet to hear her daughter talk because of the tube in her mouth. Bilma said the bullet went into Jessica’s right shoulder and hit her spine and one of her lungs before exiting out of the other shoulder. 

The 34-year-old doesn’t have feeling below her waist.

“I’m still emotional for what my daughter is going through. It wasn’t her fault, she just wanted to go out to celebrate her birthday. And I’m hurting so much for her, for her kids, my grandkids and her family is hurting, too.” said Bilma.

Jessica turned 34 on Sunday in a hospital bed.

She has five kids that range from 9-16 years old. With no medical insurance, family is hoping a crowdfunding account can help raise money to pay for medical expenses and therapy needed to help Jessica walk again.

“I just told (the kids) ‘mom is in the hospital, she’s going to get better. We need a lot of prayers for her. Mama needs y’all to be strong for her. We need to stay together, need to be there for mom.’ They understood they, they cried,” said Bilma.”

34 years old.  No medical insurance.  5 kids 9-16.  Let's go party on Dirty 6th for my 34th birthday and spend a bunch of money!!! 

I definitely feel terrible for her, but she should be making some better decisions as well.    

Edited by Trey3216

On 6/17/2021 at 12:30 PM, Lobo said:

Yeah, I get how bullets work.  Two biases working in my head.  I just don't picture Dirty Sixth being that crowded during summer break for UT and a pandemic.  But I guess it was, some of the photos look almost as crowded as Halloween/Mardi Gras.  Just didn't envision that.  I live 3 miles from Sixth Street (actual miles, not bullshit realtor lingo) and I just hadn't seen it in years at night, let alone 2am.  The other one is, I just pictured two disgruntled teens shooting sideways style at one another at 2am..probably drunk or stoned...and somehow both of them hit another person with every single round.  I get the crowd but between them dispersing and these two idiots probably not the best marksmen in the world...it's damn strange that they could hit somebody...however accidental...with every single shot.  Again, I'm picturing them holding their weapons all wrong and people fleeing.  I mean, not one round broke a window or hit a parked car/taxi?  I get the physics/ballistics of it all...it just doesn't make much sense in reality.  

It's just fucking weird, that's all.  

you think the younger crowd gives 2 fucks about the pandemic???  Now???  

25 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

you think the younger crowd gives 2 fucks about the pandemic???  Now???  

I mean we all know young people go to war because they are for it for the cause only. Especially since they know that they'll likely make it without much in repercussions.

Edited by workswithseed

20 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

How does being affiliated with a gang where one or more members of that gang or an opposing gang engages in a shooting meet one of these three exactly?

Sec. 7.02. CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR CONDUCT OF ANOTHER. (a) A person is criminally responsible for an offense committed by the conduct of another if:

(1) acting with the kind of culpability required for the offense, he causes or aids an innocent or nonresponsible person to engage in conduct prohibited by the definition of the offense;

(2) acting with intent to promote or assist the commission of the offense, he solicits, encourages, directs, aids, or attempts to aid the other person to commit the offense; or

(3) having a legal duty to prevent commission of the offense and acting with intent to promote or assist its commission, he fails to make a reasonable effort to prevent commission of the offense.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

I think they are saying "fuck it"

So two rival gangs from Killeen…most under the age of 18 and packing heat see on FB that a few of their rivals intend to hang on 6th. They all go down there and proceed to get into a shootout where 15 people are collateral damage. One dead. One paralyzed. Fuck the victims. Let’s worry about what we can do to protect the perps and keep them  out of trouble.
We wouldn’t want the perps lives to be marred by a premeditated attack they carried out. That would be awful. We wouldn’t want them to accept and acknowledge the severity of their actions and face any consequences.

The truth is they likely never will learn any real lesson from this. I also seriously doubt not charging them now will spare them from becoming lifelong shitholes. Because that’s how it works. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

Honest question, because I don't know all the ins and outs of how the legal system works. Does the DA have any say in whether the police release suspects? If not, then their release is also on APD.

Regardless, everyone knows how/where to find them, and one of the articles upthread notes that new charges could still be filed. If they eventually aren't, then I'll start getting upset. If I can be patient waiting years for justice on indicted white collar criminals who have greater bearing on my life, then I can be patient in this case too.

The police don't release suspects from jail. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, McFly said:

The police don't release suspects from jail. 

Like I said, I don't know all the ins and outs of criminal procedure. So that I understand, the 17 and 14yo were both being held but when charges were dropped they were released? Or were they already out on bail? Either way, I'm not happy about it if they had sufficient evidence for being held for something else like unlawful possession or discharging a firearm - if those are determined to be felonies.

I'm sure this will be a high profile investigation regardless and there will likely be plenty of tape to show who shot whom with what weapon. If the adult teen is found to have shot his weapon at any point, I hope they file new charges (same for the 14yo). Right now, I don't have nearly enough information and will just cool my jets since this is such a recent event and is likely an ongoing investigation.

It's not like this is at the level of the Twin Peaks shoot out in terms of fucking up the investigation (yet) where we still don't have a clear understanding of what happened years later.

2 hours ago, DanRydell said:

How does being affiliated with a gang where one or more members of that gang or an opposing gang engages in a shooting meet one of these three exactly?

Confused. When he fired his gun at a rival gang member, how was he not intending to murder the person he is shooting at?  He didn’t fire warning shots in the air, he fired at a rival gang member. 

Is attempted murder now a misdemeanor in Travis County?

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

Confused. When he fired his gun at a rival gang member, how was he not intending to murder the person he is shooting at?  He didn’t fire warning shots in the air, he fired at a rival gang member. 

Is attempted murder now a misdemeanor in Travis County Mr Garza?

Per the Statesman:

Police do not have evidence that Tabb or the unnamed teen fired a gun, Chacon said Tuesday.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Like I said, I don't know all the ins and outs of criminal procedure. So that I understand, the 17 and 14yo were both being held but when charges were dropped they were released? Or were they already out on bail? Either way, I'm not happy about it if they had sufficient evidence for being held for something else like unlawful possession or discharging a firearm - if those are determined to be felonies

Not on bail, held on charges. When the charges were dropped they have to be released. We don’t know all the charges bc Travis co doesn’t release info on minors. We know the 17yo had aggravated assault with deadly weapon which includes threatening someone with a gun. He doesn’t have to pull the trigger.