Austin Mass Shooting

Guest Lobo

Yeah, I get how bullets work.  Two biases working in my head.  I just don't picture Dirty Sixth being that crowded during summer break for UT and a pandemic.  But I guess it was, some of the photos look almost as crowded as Halloween/Mardi Gras.  Just didn't envision that.  I live 3 miles from Sixth Street (actual miles, not bullshit realtor lingo) and I just hadn't seen it in years at night, let alone 2am.  The other one is, I just pictured two disgruntled teens shooting sideways style at one another at 2am..probably drunk or stoned...and somehow both of them hit another person with every single round.  I get the crowd but between them dispersing and these two idiots probably not the best marksmen in the world...it's damn strange that they could hit somebody...however accidental...with every single shot.  Again, I'm picturing them holding their weapons all wrong and people fleeing.  I mean, not one round broke a window or hit a parked car/taxi?  I get the physics/ballistics of it all...it just doesn't make much sense in reality.  

It's just fucking weird, that's all.  

Edited by Lobo

20 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Ever heard the metaphor "like shooting fish in a barrel?"

That's exactly the density of the crowd down there at that time of night.  Send a bullet downrange there, it WILL hit someone.  Fire 10 shots, you'll hit AT LEAST 10 people, maybe more (if it passes through, etc.).

Doesn't take a marksman to hit.....fish in a barrel.

This.

And then add in that fragmentation factor.  I once killed 2 jackrabbits with one shot from a .243.  The bullet hit right in front of them, fragmented, and the resulting schrapnel and gravel put 'em both down for the dirt nap.

Didn't wanna do it.  Felt I owed it to 'em.

Edited by Cajun

@Lobo

I think it may have been more crowded than you imagine.  I used to drive Lyft down there during ROT and it was pretty f'n packed.  To the extent that once I'd drop someone off I was stuck in "jail" traffic for an hour just trying to get back over to Tarrytown.

I also think you're picturing these bozos kind being static whilst they engaged in their little bullet festival.  More than likely they were moving around like waterbugs all the while taking shots at each other resulting in bullets flying in all sorts of random direcitons.

Just a guess, but that's how I dreamed it in my head.

Edited by Cajun

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I get how bullets work.  Two biases working in my head.  I just don't picture Dirty Sixth being that crowded during summer break for UT and a pandemic.  But I guess it was, some of the photos look almost as crowded as Halloween/Mardi Gras.  Just didn't envision that.  I live 3 miles from Sixth Street (actual miles, not bullshit realtor lingo) and I just hadn't seen it in years at night, let alone 2am.  The other one is, I just pictured two disgruntled teens shooting sideways style at one another at 2am..probably drunk or stoned...and somehow both of them hit another person with every single round.  I get the crowd but between them dispersing and these two idiots probably not the best marksmen in the world...it's damn strange that they could hit somebody...however accidental...with every single shot.  Again, I'm picturing them holding their weapons all wrong and people fleeing.  I mean, not one round broke a window or hit a parked car/taxi?  I get the physics/ballistics of it all...it just doesn't make much sense in reality.  

Don’t you know the pandemic is over. Everything is fucking packed

Yeah, I hit a few places for happy hour these days.  But I just figured Sixth Street was relatively dead in mid-June like it was the previous 25 Junes I've been here.  I guess ROT Rally had it packed more than the usual summer weekends, though none of the victims seem to be ROT visitors.  And if a single Harley had been hit by a stray bullet, it would have made national news for some reason.

43 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The two dimwits on 6th managed a better hit ratio (8 rounds, 14 hits) than the “”highly trained” NYPD cops (16 rounds, 9 hits) at the infamous Empire State Building shoot in 2012 when all 9 bystanders were hit by the cops’ boolets or fragments thereof.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nypd-9-shooting-bystander-victims-hit-by-police-gunfire

Edited by Armybrat

Total victim count is now 15. And we have a 17 and 15 year old to blame. 

Police say a 15-year-old juvenile was arrested later the day of the shooting and was booked into Gardner-Bettes Juvenile Detention Facility for deadly conduct.

The second suspect, 17-year-old Jeremiah Roshaun Leland James Tabb, was arrested for aggravated assault on Monday in the Killeen area. He was charged with aggravated assault serious bodily injury, 2nd-degree felony, and has a bond of $500,000.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/6th-st-shooting-update-15-year-old-charged-with-deadly-conduct-victim-count-now-15

Only 1 victim in serious condition. 13 are stable condition. 

Edited by Nicole44

Authorities are dropping charges against a 17-year-old in the Sixth Street mass shooting as the investigation continues and as they close in on a new potential suspect, law enforcement sources told the American-Statesman. 

Jeremiah Tabb remained in the Travis County Jail Tuesday morning, and officials are expected to announce significant developments in the case at 11 a.m. Tabb has been in jail a week on an aggravated assault charge, although police have not fully described his alleged role in the shooting or whether they think he was the shooter.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/6th-street-shooting-district-attorney-apd-interim-chief-give-updates-at-11-a-m/

Austin Police Department reports 19-year-old De’Ondre Jermirris White has been charged with murder — his bond has been set at $1 million. Police say White is responsible for the murder of the victim: 25-year-old Douglas Kantor, who was visiting Austin.

22 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Garza getting grilled.  Acknowledges that the 15 and 17-year-old were involved and had guns on 6th Street.

They're walking. 

yeah, this is kind of weird. kvue does not have an update on a reason why the kids are walking. i don't mind if they are the wrong perps, but i need a more clear explanation.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, this is kind of weird. kvue does not have an update on a reason why the kids are walking. i don't mind if they are the wrong perps, but i need a more clear explanation.

José Garza, who will be Travis County’s new district attorney next year after winning this month’s election, has never prosecuted a criminal defendant in his career — and that’s been part of his pitch throughout his campaign.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/local/2020/11/14/travis-county-da-elect-garzarsquos-priorities-reflect-defenderrsquos-perspective/114947352/

We are a very dumb group of voters 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

so they owned the guns legally and fired in self defense?  no charges at all?

Minors cannot carry guns around in public places..it is a crime. Gang members engaged in criminal activity are prohibited from owning or possessing firearms. That is a crime too.

If Garza lets any of them walk regardless if they shot anyone or not, he is making a joke of the current gun laws.

Edited by Armybrat
Am referring to the gang members who were carrying firearms.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

This makes even less sense than the bullshit before.  15 year old can't pack in public.  Particularly not at 2am in a place awash in alcohol.  

Although that there may have been others around with firearms certainly would help explain how these two dipshits manage to hit a person with every single round.  You'd think finding different kinda bullets in different victims bodies would have been a talking point for the DA/Police Chief.  I dunno, I'm not in PR.  

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

They told Garza that they were, like, really, really sorry, and that they promised it won't ever happen again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

José Garza, who will be Travis County’s new district attorney next year after winning this month’s election, has never prosecuted a criminal defendant in his career — and that’s been part of his pitch throughout his campaign.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/local/2020/11/14/travis-county-da-elect-garzarsquos-priorities-reflect-defenderrsquos-perspective/114947352/

Please tell me that is a joke.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/14/2021 at 8:27 AM, Handcruser said:

I carry often. Not everywhere, but many places. Always have a gun in my briefcase, and it’s sitting next to me now at work.

Something interesting happens psychologically when you carry: you’re more willing or likely to evade or de-escalate. Where I might, in the past, have said “fuck this honky, let’s go to fisticuffs“ I’m now more likely to say “have a good day” and move along.

Things don’t bother me as much.

Because you understand and respect what guns can do.  Took the time and training, and have little to prove.  We see it all the time in the BJJ gym.  These guys don't get into fights outside the gym.  Ever.  Not because of some code or shit like that, it's that they spend so much time around and understand what real violence looks like.  You spent hours a week getting strangled, you tend to mellow out and recognize what an actual threat looks like vs bravado and blustering, and what is going to happen next if things go sideways.  Same with many carriers.  You have nothing to prove

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

Police were able to find a "White" guy to blame, so charges dropped against everyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

During a briefing, Austin Police Department Interim Chief Joseph Chacon announced a third suspect in the shooting. An arrest warrant has been issued for 19-year-old De’Ondre Jermirris White, of Killeen, who is believed to be responsible for 25-year-old Douglas John Kantor’s death and most of the other injuries based on ballistics evidence, police said.

—————

BTW, they didn’t just encounter each other on 6th street. They posted on social media what they were up to. Geez. 

58 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Where are y’all getting this info that minors can’t carry in public?

Minors under 18 are not eligible to apply for a license to carry a handgun in public, concealed or openly. 
They are also not eligible under the new Constitutional Carry law that takes effect September 1st.

Does not apply to private property if they have parental permission.

• Like 2

Just now, Armybrat said:

They are still with the PPD, they just de-volunteered from the rapid response riot control team if I understand correctly.

Exactly, they won't respond to what they deem are riots. Here's more to the story if you want to read.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/portland-cops-quit-riot-team-after-officer-charged-with-assault-of-photographer/ar-AALb8bU

"Portland cops quit riot team after officer charged with assault on photographer

All 50 of the Portland Police Bureau's highly trained rapid response unit officers resigned this week after the recent indictment of Officer Corey Budworth for allegedly assaulting a photographer during an overnight riot last summer."

So the 15 and 17 year old may have made a deal???

“Authorities said they know both teens were involved and armed on Sixth Street but it was unclear if they fired any shots. The legal age to have a gun in Texas is 18. When pressed about if dropping the charges was in the best interest of the community, Garza said it was in the best interest of the case.

"Our focus right now is on holding accountable the person who is responsible for the injuries and death that took place on Sixth Street," Garza said, adding that charges could be filed against others involved at a later date. "As the investigation continues we will continue to evaluate the conduct of everyone involved," he said.

RELATED: Arrest warrant in Austin mass shooting reveals started with grudge between 2 Killeen teens

Garza did not answer a question about if the teens made a deal with the DA’s office by providing information or agreeing to testify in order to have their charges dropped.”

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/charges-dropped-for-two-suspects-in-downtown-austin-mass-shooting-third-suspect-revealed

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

"Our focus right now is on holding accountable the person who is responsible for the injuries and death that took place on Sixth Street," Garza said, adding that charges could be filed against others involved at a later date. "As the investigation continues we will continue to evaluate the conduct of everyone involved," he said.

Holy shit, that's beyond funny.  Well, it's absolutely pathetic, but y'know, supremely imcompetent funny.

But... there's a precedent:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKiOr673KwDCNcmddjfNM

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

I mean, y’all elected FitLump.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just saw on Fox7 the police chief basically saying that APD filed the paperwork to charge the “minors” but the DA (who was standing right beside him) is choosing not to prosecute.

Also APD had the shooter in custody for questioning but he was released and now is on the run and has cut his hair and changed his appearance.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Just saw on Fox7 the police chief basically saying that APD filed the paperwork to charge the “minors” but the DA (who was standing right beside him) is choosing not to prosecute.

Also APD had the shooter in custody for questioning but he was released and now is on the run and has cut his hair and changed his appearance.

can we get some vegas odds on the minors committing violent crime in the next 3 years?

are we allowed to release the description of the suspect on the run now or is that too far over the line while causing some hurt feelings?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

"I want to make sure that people understand that these two individuals were involved," Austin Police Chief Joe Chacon said. "These are not people who were innocent bystanders or were somehow incorrectly identified as being involved in this case. I think that is important for people to understand. In the end, these individuals had weapons and might have otherwise done greater harm to our community."

This fucking pansy Garza is just getting started.   Thug, criminal, hooligan - whether you be white, black, yellow, red, purple or whatever - have at it. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpyj5FmUJ2nobncaLUA0q

4aae5f37-9a01-452b-b3ee-5dbe3f169b49-jwj

So release the murderer, give him time to disappear and drop the charges on the other shooters.

I guess it's going to be another one of these every 5 years

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-found-guilty-killing-texas-college-student-haruka-weiser-n893316

What a shithole. I'm actually in favor of letting the tent dwelling druggies completely take over now.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, dcar00 said:

can we get some vegas odds on the minors committing violent crime in the next 3 years?

are we allowed to release the description of the suspect on the run now or is that too far over the line while causing some hurt feelings?

Nothing other than he's (named) White

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1