Rockets vs Warriors

UDontKnow

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I’m sure it’s been harped on already but 7-44 from 3 is a joke. A team shooting 44 threes in a ball game is just embarrassing coaching. Dantoni sucks

I tried, but failed, to find how many 3s they attempted each game this season 

Edited by PittsburghTiger

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Nick Young will not be on the roster next season, even if he's willing to take a pay cut to the minimum. I would bet my house on it. He got the opportunity of a lifetime, then immediately proceeded to report to camp out of shape, never really grasped the offense, and his defense was, to be nice, inconsistent.

Golden State loves self-motivated, smart guys, and Young is not that.

Well look for Presti to sign him to about a 6 million per year contract with the Thunder this offseason then... 🤣

4 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I’m sure it’s been harped on already but 7-44 from 3 is a joke. A team shooting 44 threes in a ball game is just embarrassing coaching. Dantoni sucks

I think the next step for the Rockets is for Harden to cut back on the 3 point attempts. 

.299, .278, .310 three point % in the last 3 years in the playoffs while taking nearly 10 threes a game. 

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

42/g in regular season; 14th/28 in percentage

40/g in playoffs, 14th/16 in percentage lulz

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Wow, that’s a ton. And crazy that is not the most. The game really changed

I don't watch much regular season NBA because I don't have the time but I'll tune into the playoffs every year.  That being said, I was surprised how bad both of these teams were.  GS is a team of undersized shooters and Houston is basically just a volume shooting team.  That works in the regular season but the open looks disappear in the playoffs.

Both teams just basically walk the ball up and take a wild assed three.  GS would run an occasional play but sometimes it would get broken off mid play with a wild assed three.  These are the two best teams in the league but on a broader scale, they're really not that great.  

The football equivalent is a 5 wide spread that puts up big yards and points but has no running game and struggles in big games.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think the next step for the Rockets is for Harden to cut back on the 3 point attempts. 

.299, .278, .310 three point % in the last 3 years in the playoffs while taking nearly 10 threes a game. 

The number of 3's don't particularly bother me, but the type of 3's absolutely does. Team-wide, not just Harden. Houston's % of 3's that are of the catch-and-shoot variety falls off a cliff in the postseason every year. From 61.2% of their 3's on catch-and-shoots in the regular season to about 40% this series.

Harden is obviously the most guilty of this. As pretty as those step back 3's look when they go in, off-the-dribble 3's are still the hardest, lowest percentage shot in basketball, and it's dude's go-to move in the playoffs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The number of 3's don't particularly bother me, but the type of 3's absolutely does. Team-wide, not just Harden. Houston's % of 3's that are of the catch-and-shoot variety falls off a cliff in the postseason every year. From 61.2% of their 3's on catch-and-shoots in the regular season to about 40% this series.

Harden is obviously the most guilty of this. As pretty as those step back 3's look when they go in, off-the-dribble 3's are still the hardest, lowest percentage shot in basketball, and it's dude's go-to move in the playoffs.

You aren't incorrect in theory, but the majority of the missed 3s during the drought last night were good looks.  That's what makes it so frustrating.  If Harden had gone into hero ball and was forcing the shots, then it would be easy to just blame him.  But in reality, we were (for the most part) getting the shots we wanted, they just weren't falling.  For anyone.

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

You aren't incorrect in theory, but the majority of the missed 3s during the drought last night were good looks.  That's what makes it so frustrating.  If Harden had gone into hero ball and was forcing the shots, then it would be easy to just blame him.  But in reality, we were (for the most part) getting the shots we wanted, they just weren't falling.  For anyone.

Basketball is a weird sport. When your alpha can't hit the broad side of the barn so too go your betas. If Houston ever wants to win a title they need to change Alpha's for someone who can produce when the pressure is highest.

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Basketball is a weird sport. When your alpha can't hit the broad side of the barn so too go your betas. If Houston ever wants to win a title they need to change Alpha's for someone who can produce when the pressure is highest.

They got the perfect compliment, but he was on the bench for the last two games.

18 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

If they're going to actually play defense they better have more than 6 guys they can play, they're legs were gone.

And I know it's fun to play Skip Bayless the morning after a loss, but I do think the big picture of all of this gets lost a bit in the race to come up with hot takes.

The Rockets, without their second best player in addition to the one defender who best matches up with GS, missed 27 straight 3s against the best collection of talent ever assembled in the NBA and lost by single digits.  I get that Harden is an easy target, but sometimes the simple answer is the correct one: the Warriors are fucking monsters and they SHOULD have easily beaten the team the Rockets threw out there in games 6 and 7.

I get "narrative" and all, but how a team with 4 All-Stars trailed by 10+ twice in a row in elimination games against THIS Rockets squad should honestly be getting much more scrutiny than Houston's issues.  

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Agreed. I'm surprised the game was as close as it was considering how terribly Houston shot the ball in the second half. Everyone was missing wide open threes. 

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Typical Harden led team showed up yet again. It wasn't as bad as game 6 against SA last year but the same result. Embarrassing performance in the 2nd half for 2 games in a row. But what do you expect from that fraud?

And 27 missed 3's in a row? Good fucking lord.

Lol, harden is a fraud because he couldn’t beat 3 all stars and number one options for any other team in the league all by himself? 

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol, harden is a fraud because he couldn’t beat 3 all stars and number one options for any other team in the league all by himself? 

He had some pretty bad plays and a lack of situational awareness.    Couple it with how his seasons have ended over the last few years and a pattern is pretty clear.  He isn't a fraud cause of last night.   He's a fraud cause of the pattern of not showing up big (or at all at times) when they've needed him to be that MVP the most.

All in all, this was a horribly disappointing series. These two teams were supposed to be screaming up and down the court drilling threes and moving the ball and instead we got a brick fest full of iso ball, terrible shot selection and turnovers. 

Neither team deserved to win this series. The Warriors.... my God, I understand taking open or at least near open threes early in the shot clock when you have shooters like Durant and Curry and Thompson. But I don't care how great KD is or how many times he actually makes them, taking a well contested three, three feet behind the line, with 18 seconds on the clock without ever passing the ball is horrible fucking basketball. It's one thing to take that shot with less than 5 seconds on the clock  because of course, you have to shoot. The rest of the time its selfish stupid hero ball. How he doesn't know better is beyond me. The Warriors were infinitely more entertaining to watch before he joined them. And I also get they've been prone to flurries of turnovers in the past, but I've seen crisper play in the Summer League. How they come out in Game 7 and play like that is just mind boggling.

And the Rockets.... they play a horrible brand of basketball. So much one on one after picking a guy out on defense to isolate. And the Warriors do it to, they are just less obvious about it. But you know, there are other ways to skin a cat. Maybe slip a screen every now and then. Maybe run a shooter off a couple of stagger screens and when they switch, pin down the switcher for a post up. I get that D'Antoni is going to play his way but holy shit it's painful to watch. And you can't chalk missing 27 threes in a row to fatigue or great defense or the pressure of a game 7 or just having bad luck or whatever. It's clearly the basketball Gods punishing them for their sins. Live by the jumpshot, die by the jumpshot. RIP 2018 Houston Rockets.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

He had some pretty bad plays and a lack of situational awareness.    Couple it with how his seasons have ended over the last few years and a pattern is pretty clear.  He isn't a fraud cause of last night.   He's a fraud cause of the pattern of not showing up big (or at all at times) when they've needed him to be that MVP the most.

LeBron James is pretty much the only player in the league who that last sentence doesn't apply too.  I get that Harden is an easy target, but he just put up 32 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, and 4 steals in an elimination game against arguably the best team ever assembled.  Pump the brakes a bit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

LeBron James is pretty much the only player in the league who that last sentence doesn't apply too.  I get that Harden is an easy target, but he just put up 32 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, and 4 steals in an elimination game against arguably the best team ever assembled.  Pump the brakes a bit.

He was 2/13 from 3 in a game where the guy guarding was in foul trouble.    That is a lack of situational awareness.

Just now, d2o said:

He was 2/13 from 3 in a game where the guy guarding was in foul trouble.    That is a lack of situational awareness.

How often was Klay even guarding him?  He was sitting out most of the game.

Regardless, I feel very confident that if he had continued to get hammered on his drives to the basket without whistles, you'd be saying he needs to be more situationally aware about that too and stop driving.  

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

Regardless, I feel very confident that if he had continued to get hammered on his drives to the basket without whistles, you'd be saying he needs to be more situationally aware about that too and stop driving.  

Not sure why you would confident in that but ok.  

He gets more calls than anyone in the league.   He would've got plenty of calls.      A particular sequence comes to mind.   On the bad call where he got the foul on Klay (his 4th) and made the basket but they called it on the floor ( terrible fucking call).   Klay stayed in the game for a few more possessions and he didn't go to the basket not once.     He didn't start driving until very late in the when GSW was giving up the lane cause they had a big lead.

If the series had been up and down track meet the narrative on here would have been its “no defense basketball” and it’s bad for the league. I don’t expect spurs and mav haters to come on here give nothing less than what you’re posting. 

They went 7 games with the best team and when they sweep the cavs people will appreciate what Houston did. 

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If the series had been up and down track meet the narrative on here would have been its “no defense basketball” and it’s bad for the league. I don’t expect spurs and mav haters to come on here give nothing less than what you’re posting. 

They went 7 games with the best team and when they sweep the cavs people will appreciate what Houston did. 

They made GSW play their game which is interesting.   Holding them under 100 multiple times was an accomplishment.   Especially for team/coach with a history of not giving a shit about defense.

14 minutes ago, d2o said:

He gets more calls than anyone in the league.   He would've got plenty of calls.      A particular sequence comes to mind.   On the bad call where he got the foul on Klay (his 4th) and made the basket but they called it on the floor ( terrible fucking call).   Klay stayed in the game for a few more possessions and he didn't go to the basket not once.     He didn't start driving until very late in the when GSW was giving up the lane cause they had a big lead.

I don't have a photographic memory, but according to ESPN play by play:

3rd quarter:

9:31 Klay Thompson personal foul

9:18 James Harden makes driving floating jump shot

8:42 Kevin Durant makes 25 foot 3-point jumper

8:26 Stephen Curry personal foul

8:26 Nick Young replaces Klay Thompson

So, there was one offensive possession after the 4th foul, and Harden did exactly what you wanted, yet your memory still tells your otherwise.  That's the deal with Harden, people cook these narratives in their heads and regardless of what actually happens on the court, they still try to make them fit.

Yes, Harden has had embarrassing failures in the past.  But pinning this game/series on him alone is a lazy take worthy of an ESPN morning TV show.

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I don't have a photographic memory, but according to ESPN play by play:

3rd quarter:

9:31 Klay Thompson personal foul

9:18 James Harden makes driving floating jump shot

8:42 Kevin Durant makes 25 3-point jumper

8:26 Stephen Curry personal foul

8:26 Nick Young replaces Klay Thompson

So, there was one offensive possession after the 4th foul, and Harden did exactly what you wanted, yet your memory still tells your otherwise.  That's the deal with Harden, people cook these narratives in their heads and regardless of what actually happens on the court, they still try to make them fit.

Yes, Harden has had embarrassing failures in the past.  But pinning this game/series on him alone is a lazy take worthy of an ESPN morning TV show.

He shot 24% from on the series yet still shot 13 threes last night.   That's a narrative?

And I certainly haven't blamed this game or this series on him.    They shot 7/44 from 3 last night.    That is coaching.

Edited by d2o

17 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If you have a chance to take one of GSW's shooters out of the game you do it. They didn't go back at Klay. It doesn't matter if he was guarding him, force them to switch until he is. Klay's 3's hurt you in the second half. Something you could've prevented by making him sit down. Then you force Curry to use his legs while guarding you. Something you will see Cleveland do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, d2o said:

He shot 24% from on the series yet still shot 13 threes last night.   That's a narrative?

You literally just said that Harden stopped driving after Klay fouled him, and when I point out that Harden did exactly that for the ONE OPPORTUNITY HE HAD before they took Klay back out, you ignore it and go back to his shooting percentage.  I wish you had just said that you weren't interesting in having an actual conversation before I spent the time replying to you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

If you have a chance to take one of GSW's shooters out of the game you do it. They didn't go back at Klay. It doesn't matter if he was guarding him, force them to switch until he is. Klay's 3's hurt you in the second half. Something you could've prevented by making him sit down. Then you force Curry to use his legs while guarding you. Something you will see Cleveland do.

They took Klay out at the next opportunity (with 8:26 left in the 3rd) and he didn't return again until the 4th quarter.  It's like some of y'all didn't even watch the game last night.

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

You literally just said that Harden stopped driving after Klay fouled him, and when I point out that Harden did exactly that for the ONE OPPORTUNITY HE HAD before they took Klay back out, you ignore it and go back to his shooting percentage.  I wish you had just said that you weren't interesting in having an actual conversation before I spent the time replying to you.

hahahahhahahaha, so Klay never played again last night?      I told you he had a lack of situational awareness.   Yes, he should have gone more at Klay whether it was immediately after the 4th foul or when he returned.    Taking 13 thress when you are shooting 24% is either extreme stubbornness or a lack of situational awareness.   You can choose.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

hahahahhahahaha, so Klay never played again last night?      I told you he had a lack of situational awareness.   Yes, he should have gone more at Klay whether it was immediately after the 4th foul or when he returned.    Taking 13 thress when you are shooting 24% is either extreme stubbornness or a lack of situational awareness.   You can choose.

For the record, this is what I mean about "narrative."

23 minutes ago, d2o said:

You created a narrative and provided a specific example, which I proved was nothing more than a figment of your imagination.  Still, you won't drop it.  Pop quiz, any idea what Houston's first two baskets of the fourth quarter were, after Klay returned?

Harden drives to the basket.

• Like 1

My underlying point is this: aside from the crazy MJ truthers against Lebron, there's no player in the league scrutinized as much as Harden.  Curry played like 3 good quarters this whole series, yet nobody is questioning his ability or skillset or desire.  Yet here we are arguing about specific play sequences in the third quarter last night.  It's absurd.  Harden had an ice cold team around him, and really wasn't getting the calls when he drove to the hoop the majority of the time.  If he passed more to his teammates, the talking heads would say he was scared to be the man.  If he kept driving to the basket, the talking heads would say he should know better than to expect a foul called there.  So he took a lot of threes and was cold.  It sucks but it happens. 

One final mind-blowing stat for everyone who says Harden just camped behind the 3-pt line:

Most two point shots attempted last night: Harden, James - 16

Most two point shots made last night: Harden, James - 10

28 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

They took Klay out at the next opportunity (with 8:26 left in the 3rd) and he didn't return again until the 4th quarter.  It's like some of y'all didn't even watch the game last night.

Klay got his 3rd foul in the 1st. They allowed him to play the entire second quarter and 3 mins of the 3rd without picking up his fourth. You don't allow the best on ball defender they have to go that long without picking up a foul. Force him to either let you score or go sit down. They had a chance to make Kerr pay for allowing him to play the second with 3 fouls.

56 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

ah yes, here we go with the "whaa whaa everybody is a hater" whambulance.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Klay got his 3rd foul in the 1st. They allowed him to play the entire second quarter and 3 mins of the 3rd without picking up his fourth. You don't allow the best on ball defender they have to go that long without picking up a foul. Force him to either let you score or go sit down. They had a chance to make Kerr pay for allowing him to play the second with 3 fouls.

In case you are wondering how absurd this argument has turned, we now have someone arguing that the Rockets (THE ROCKETS!!!!) weren't focused enough on drawing fouls.

17 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

My underlying point is this: aside from the crazy MJ truthers against Lebron, there's no player in the league scrutinized as much as Harden.  Curry played like 3 good quarters this whole series, yet nobody is questioning his ability or skillset or desire.  Yet here we are arguing about specific play sequences in the third quarter last night.  It's absurd.  Harden had an ice cold team around him, and really wasn't getting the calls when he drove to the hoop the majority of the time.  If he passed more to his teammates, the talking heads would say he was scared to be the man.  If he kept driving to the basket, the talking heads would say he should know better than to expect a foul called there.  So he took a lot of threes and was cold.  It sucks but it happens. 

One final mind-blowing stat for everyone who says Harden just camped behind the 3-pt line:

Uh, Curry did have a mediocre series, to his standard, got crushed after game 2 (though not as badly as the people stupidly trying to excuse his shit game on injuries), and he still shot 47% for the series, despite hitting only 36% of his 3's (meaning he adjusted and got to the basket at will), averaged more rebounds (7) and almost as many assists (6) as Harden.

This series isn't going to leave a mark on Harden as bad as last year or the '15 WCF, but his offense left a whole lot to be desired after Game 1. He's pretty fortunate that CP3 bailed him out in games 4 and 5, or the criticism would be 1000x what it is now. The general narrative I've heard the last few days is that he pushed a dynasty to its limit, despite missing their 2nd best player. That's probably a little friendlier sentiment than his individual play warrants. I was thoroughly impressed, however, with his defensive effort from Game 4 on. Not always perfect, but he busted his ass.

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

In case you are wondering how absurd this argument has turned, we now have someone arguing that the Rockets (THE ROCKETS!!!!) weren't focused enough on drawing fouls.

Man, you aren't paying attention. You have a chance to take GSW's best two way player off the floor which opens up your offense, and takes scoring off the floor for them. That is absolutely something you need to make happen given the opportunity. This kind of lack of situational awareness is why D'antoni hasn't won any titles despite ridiculous success during the regular season.

Just now, Thatguy said:

Man, you aren't paying attention. You have a chance to take GSW's best two way player off the floor which opens up your offense, and takes scoring off the floor for them. That is absolutely something you need to make happen given the opportunity. This kind of lack of situational awareness is why D'antoni hasn't won any titles despite ridiculous success during the regular season.

The Rockets shot 27 times in the 2nd quarter, 15 of them were 2 pointers.  They were driving to the hoop more than half the time and increased their lead by 6 with Klay in the game, yet because they didn't get a referee to call a fourth foul on a star player in the first half of a playoff game (seriously, can you tell me the last time that happened?) the critics still find something to snag on to.  This is wild.

54 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Isn't that more reason why he should have shot less threes and more twos?

8 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The Rockets shot 27 times in the 2nd quarter, 15 of them were 2 pointers.  They were driving to the hoop more than half the time and increased their lead by 6 with Klay in the game, yet because they didn't get a referee to call a fourth foul on a star player in the first half of a playoff game (seriously, can you tell me the last time that happened?) the critics still find something to snag on to.  This is wild.

I went back and watched. He may have been on the floor, but they didn't go at him. Go back and watch yourself. That decision came back to haunt them as Klay scored 7 points in the 4th qtr, and had two fouls to play stellar defense down the stretch.

And I know it's fun to play Skip Bayless the morning after a loss, but I do think the big picture of all of this gets lost a bit in the race to come up with hot takes.

The Rockets, without their second best player in addition to the one defender who best matches up with GS, missed 27 straight 3s against the best collection of talent ever assembled in the NBA and lost by single digits.  I get that Harden is an easy target, but sometimes the simple answer is the correct one: the Warriors are fucking monsters and they SHOULD have easily beaten the team the Rockets threw out there in games 6 and 7.

I get "narrative" and all, but how a team with 4 All-Stars trailed by 10+ twice in a row in elimination games against THIS Rockets squad should honestly be getting much more scrutiny than Houston's issues.  

Off top of head

84 Lakers - 5 hall of famers

Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Magic Johnson

James Worthy

Bob MacAdoo

Jamaal Wilkes

72ish Lakers? - 4 hall of famers

Wilt Chamberlain

Elgin Baylor

Jerry West

Gail Goodrich