Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

On 4/19/2018 at 10:43 PM, golfclap said:

I like the number of Ags that are responding about how crappy Koda Martin was and how he wasn't even on the depth chart etc ... despite this article today from the Houston Chronicle highlighting Martin as the starting LT.  Also note that he started 10 games last year and they don't have anyone to replace him. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/college/article/Breaking-down-2018-Texas-A-M-football-Offensive-12848293.php

Dude nearly ran out of time on Earth.

Four-stars Shepherd and Demas take in Texas A&M, Texas

Brian Perroni - 

Though spring football is over, Texas A&M is still playing host to unofficial visitors. On Friday, the Aggies had two of its top targets on campus in Houston North Forest teammates Javonne Shepherd and Demond Demas.

Shephard, a four-star class of 2019 offensive tackle, said he and Demas, a national top-50 wide receiver in the class of 2020, decided to make the short trip to College Station.

"It was something we had planned for a little while," the 6-foot-6, 319-pound Shepherd said. "We wanted to go up there and just hang out. It was that long of a visit but we got to talk to the coaches."

Shepherd has built a good relationship with A&M offensive line coach Jim Turner.

"Coach Turner, I got to talk to him while I was there," he said. "I like talking to him. We didn't talk about anything too serious. We were just catching up. I feel comfortable up there."

A day after the trip to Aggieland, Shepherd and Demas made it to Austin to check out the Texas spring game.

"It was good," Shepherd said. "I got a chance to watch the offensive line really closely. We were in the end zone so we could see everything going on. I like the way their line plays. I could see myself fitting in there."

Shepherd says he spoke with both schools about setting up official visits but he does not have anything penciled in just yet. However, he knows which programs will receive his five allotted visits.

"We talked about them but I don't know when I'm going to take them," he said of his officials. "I don't know if they will be this summer or in the fall. I'm going to visit UT, A&M, Alabama, LSU and Ole Miss. Those are the five schools I'm going to visit."

As for his commitment timeline, Shepherd has pushed it back.

"At first, it was going to be in June," he said. "I switched it, though. I don't know when I am going to commit now. I'm just being really patient with the whole process."

The Crystal Ball for Shepherd has four of six predictions for A&M and one for Texas. Demas' Crystal Ball has two predictions for A&M and one for Texas

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

That’s a guy the staff was already recruiting for a long time while at FSU. Great get.

Yep, they were recruiting Grayson kids hard at FSU. Not sure what the appeal of Jimbo's offense is for top flight WRs. They don't see the field until they learn his overly complicated route tree.

5 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Just like rumlin, load up on wr's and db's. Then one or two in the trenches.

I have no idea what Jimbo's tendencies are as a roster manager, so maybe it does turn out that way.

But don't you think it's a bit hypocritical to make these comments right now when people were saying the exact same thing about our class last year at this time, only to have egg on their faces by the time NSD2 roll around?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

That’s a really good pickup. Not going to lie, Jimbo is doing better than I thought 

I’m not sure what a lot of people were expecting but Jimbo can recruit and it’s the #1 trait he looks for in an assistant.  the reality is, he’s one of like 4 active coaches that has won a national title, that pitch alone is going to work on some recruits. He was always going to be able to recruit well, especially his first year before any of the on-field warts become apparent.

"I have no idea what Jimbo's tendencies are as a roster manager, so maybe it does turn out that way.

But don't you think it's a bit hypocritical to make these comments right now when people were saying the exact same thing about our class last year at this time, only to have egg on their faces by the time NSD2 roll around?"

Actually no I do not. But this just my opinion from someone who has been out in the sun too long.

uhh, A&M is in as good of a position with most of the top in-state OL/DL talent as us, if not better. They have Leal + Stripling + Mowry, and lead for Green + Coker + maybe Shepherd (tough to tell where that recruitment's going).

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:
4 hours ago, Leanderman said:

uhh, A&M is in as good of a position with most of the top in-state OL/DL talent as us, if not better. They have Leal + Stripling + Mowry, and lead for Green + Coker + maybe Shepherd (tough to tell where that recruitment's going).

They can have Coker, bruh

3 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

I must've missed the Stripling commitment

It's happening -- his little brother is going to make sure it's Aggy.  

also, is satya/sarva ktown on 247?  Coker? GTFO. 

Edited by golfclap

22 minutes ago, satyanash said:
4 hours ago, Leanderman said:

I get the need to do well in-state, but Leal, Stripling, and Mowry is replaceable. Leal is the most difficult, but if you can't find other options for Stripling and Mowry, then you shouldn't be coach at Texas.

14 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I get the need to do well in-state, but Leal, Stripling, and Mowry is replaceable. Leal is the most difficult, but if you can't find other options for Stripling and Mowry, then you shouldn't be coach at Texas.

I’m assuming you haven’t actually watched any film and are just saying stuff based on what you’ve heard from UT sources, but Stripling is really freaking good. Not as good as Leal, but he’s a nationally elite DL.

18 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I don't have any UT sources, and I don't do my own rankings because I'm not full of shit. I'm just saying he's a top 200 guy. That doesn't mean he will or won't pan out, but it's his ranking relative to his peers. You have to go out of state and replace him.

From watching Stripling's tape, he's really freaking good and might be underrated at #110.  Regardless, if you're going on Rankings, Leal is 79 natinoally and Stripling is 110; that's not much of a difference. My point is if you're saying Leal is hard to replace, then Stripling should be in that same category.  I'm not sure what your expectations are, but if you think the staff can just go OOS and find a DL in the top 100, then you're likely in for disappointment unless we win a ton this year.  

We'll likely get Nana in the class this year, which is big, but the other DL we take are not likely to be in the same tier as Stripling.  

2 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

From watching Stripling's tape, he's really freaking good and might be underrated at #110.  Regardless, if you're going on Rankings, Leal is 79 natinoally and Stripling is 110; that's not much of a difference. My point is if you're saying Leal is hard to replace, then Stripling should be in that same category.  I'm not sure what your expectations are, but if you think the staff can just go OOS and find a DL in the top 100, then you're likely in for disappointment unless we win a ton this year.  

We'll likely get Nana in the class this year, which is big, but the other DL we take are not likely to be in the same tier as Stripling.  

Probably on the same level as Sweat - good take, but not game-changing.

6 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I stand corrected.

4 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I’m not sure what a lot of people were expecting but Jimbo can recruit and it’s the #1 trait he looks for in an assistant.  the reality is, he’s one of like 4 active coaches that has won a national title, that pitch alone is going to work on some recruits. He was always going to be able to recruit well, especially his first year before any of the on-field warts become apparent.

It's painful to say that I agree with you. Herman and his staff are great recruiters, but in my opinion, there is no doubt that we are going to have to have a great record in 2018 to be able to sustain our recruiting success. Not the "hey look at our progress with 8 wins and a Belk Bowl invite" type of season, but a 9-10 win season with a threat to win the Big 12. Jimbo has a lot more to sell than Sumlin, and UT has to have on-field results to counter.

20 minutes ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

It's painful to say that I agree with you. Herman and his staff are great recruiters, but in my opinion, there is no doubt that we are going to have to have a great record in 2018 to be able to sustain our recruiting success. Not the "hey look at our progress with 8 wins and a Belk Bowl invite" type of season, but a 9-10 win season with a threat to win the Big 12. Jimbo has a lot more to sell than Sumlin, and UT has to have on-field results to counter.

He has much more to sell, but he also has much higher expectations to meet. Additionally, he has to deal with Alabama, Auburn, and LSU every year. The tone in College Station will change dramatically once they fail to meet those lofty standards.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

He has much more to sell, but he also has much higher expectations to meet. Additionally, he has to deal with Alabama, Auburn, and LSU every year. The tone in College Station will change dramatically once they fail to meet those lofty standards.

We like to talk about the extremes of Jimbo, but I'm interested about the middle because I think that's most likely. He can recruit really well and still have a very challenging path to the playoffs.

The dynamic has imperceptibly shifted but hasn't changed; Longhorns will get plenty of top talent like they always do-- win, lose, or draw. I mean, even Strong pulled in good classes and didn't leave the cupboard bare for Herman, and he had losing seasons.

Even if Jimbo were to make A&M competitive and win games they're not supposed to, or stay competitive somehow-- even then, it's not like some guys growing up Horn fans are suddenly going to sign up for A&M.

This was similar to when Sumlin started. There were more head-to-heads against OU then, just like there are more and more of those now. If A&M can win more of those that would be a win-win for Longhorns too because they keeps talent away from a team you have to play every year...

Case in point-- Stripling seems to be liking OU as well. Last year, after seemingly forever A&M actually landed a top talent from California who was also heavily recruited by OU (again, a defensive end).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

We like to talk about the extremes of Jimbo, but I'm interested about the middle because I think that's most likely. He can recruit really well and still have a very challenging path to the playoffs.

That's the beauty of $75M guaranteed and a national championship trophy with the year 20XX.  Middle ground is still failure.

Edited by Enchubben

8 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

The dynamic has imperceptibly shifted but hasn't changed; Longhorns will get plenty of top talent like they always do-- win, lose, or draw. I mean, even Strong pulled in good classes and didn't leave the cupboard bare for Herman, and he had losing seasons.

Even if Jimbo were to make A&M competitive and win games they're not supposed to, or stay competitive somehow-- even then, it's not like some guys growing up Horn fans are suddenly going to sign up for A&M.

This was similar to when Sumlin started. There were more head-to-heads against OU then, just like there are more and more of those now. If A&M can win more of those that would be a win-win for Longhorns too because they keeps talent away from a team you have to play every year...

Case in point-- Stripling seems to be liking OU as well. Last year, after seemingly forever A&M actually landed a top talent from California who was also heavily recruited by OU (again, a defensive end).

Fair points that I generally agree with in the post quoted. That considered, we're looking at a bit more chaos in the current landscape than we've seen in, well, I don't know. It seems like in the early 90's there was turnover at all 3 schools in a 12-24 month timeframe, but I was in jr high or high school when that was happening. 

So what's happening?

1) The allure and hype around the SEC plays a role in recruitments now when before it really didn't. Even if a guy doesn't want to leave home, he can rationalize getting his asspounded for 3 years while he individually stands out and makes a name for himself. Fisher's staff is doing an excellent job of highlighting individual performance upside compared to playing in the shitty Big 12. "Even if we have a down year or two, son, you're going to get drafted. Look at these numbers for the SEC in the NFL draft." It doesn't matter to some that there are excuses why that shouldn't matter for UT or OU.

2) The emergence of Trainer Nation and UT not being pussies about embracing it. There used to be guys that could be flat out scratched off the list and that is no longer the case. The corner cases like Jaylen Waddle remain, but that's it.

3) We've touched on this on the various threads, but we're witnessing 3 different recruiting styles. The ATM hard press. The OU laid back slow play. The Texas deep research and planned push.

4) Texas is going national for the first time in its history. If Texas starts winning, this changes things locally and in AZ/CA for sure. Could impact the SEC footprint and will likely continue to have some pressure on St.Louis, Oklahoma, and Louisiana.

• Like 3

The way aggy, Stoops, Sweaterson, et al, bagged on Strong's losing seasons coming off of the waning lean years of Mack's recruiting is about to happen to Fisher.  Imagine if Fisher doesn't win 8 games?  What about only winning 6 games and sneaking into a shitty bowl?  After Sumlin consistently won 8 games?  It'll be a fascinating year for fans in the region.

41 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

The way aggy, Stoops, Sweaterson, et al, bagged on Strong's losing seasons coming off of the waning lean years of Mack's recruiting is about to happen to Fisher.  Imagine if Fisher doesn't win 8 games?  What about only winning 6 games and sneaking into a shitty bowl?  After Sumlin consistently won 8 games?  It'll be a fascinating year for fans in the region.

I think most sane fans (I realize that may be an oxymoron) are bracing for tough season; but 6 wins and a bowl game should be basically no sweat, and 8 is probably the ceiling (ironically, that 8th win would probably make more headlines and talking heads chatter)

17 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

I think most sane fans (I realize that may be an oxymoron) are bracing for tough season; but 6 wins and a bowl game should be basically no sweat, and 8 is probably the ceiling (ironically, that 8th win would probably make more headlines and talking heads chatter)

You say that now. Watching a team lose gets frustrating very quickly, especially when EVERYONE in the country will be poking fun at you every chance they get.

That said, I think you have the right attitude.

8 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

You say that now. Watching a team lose gets frustrating very quickly, especially when EVERYONE in the country will be poking fun at you every chance they get.

That said, I think you have the right attitude.

I think it'll also be about whether they're competitive or get thrashed.

But, no matter what, you're right-- there will be plenty of schadenfreude etc coming the way of Aggie fans... and instead of being patient and level-headed, there will be plenty who will lose their shit and therefore be made fun of even more... lol. such is life.

5 hours ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

And how negatively do you believe that impacted Strong's recruiting?

Fans place way too much emphasis on the impact of an individual season or even a few seasons in a row.  

Recruiting is sales.  Period.  And that means it's about relationships more than anything else.  Strong's product on the field was abysmal but he was still getting "errbody."

Some guys are great salesmen and some are dogshit.  

20 minutes ago, Augustus said:

And how negatively do you believe that impacted Strong's recruiting?

Fans place way too much emphasis on the impact of an individual season or even a few seasons in a row.  

Recruiting is sales.  Period.  And that means it's about relationships more than anything else.  Strong's product on the field was abysmal but he was still getting "errbody."

Some guys are great salesmen and some are dogshit.  

I know this is something you guys have a hard time grasping,  but our program is a national brand so you can't always make 1:1 comparisons. 

And anyway,  Charlie's records DID negatively impact his recruiting.  You think a guy recruiting out of his mind would barely sign a top 10 class at Texas if he won 9+ games? 

That said, I think jimbo will sign a top 10-15 class if he wins 7+

Edited by Bevo14