2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

19 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Lazarus,

Use snares.  Best way to get rid of yotes.  I only run them when I am around though and can check them each day.  Even though I hate yotes, I want to kill them as humanely as possible.

When I was a kid, I knew a guy that used to make "trot lines" for coyotes. He would bait them with pieces of meat, and hang them high enough that the coyote had to jump to reach it, and would get hooked. Absolutely the most cruel thing I ever heard of. His rationale was that coyotes didn't care if a fawn was still alive when they started to eat it. I always thought humans were better than that.

CHIEF

1 hour ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

Was out on the property with Mrs. Laz weekend before last.  We've had a renegade buckin bull from next door who got through the fence on the property for about a month now.  At first, it was a cool novelty but it's quickly becoming apparent he needs to be returned to his rightful owner at the earliest opportunity.   I'm actually curious how many hands that will take to accomplish.  In addition to the ankle-breaker footprints he's leaving all over the place, he pretty much makes his own path through the interior brush.  A little bit of that is a good thing as it gives us some access that we'd otherwise have to bushwhack, but I suspect it has also given the coyotes better access too.  

In that regards, we saw a ton of coyote scat, and jumped one on the perimeter road on our first night.  Had it dead to rights at about 15 yards, but I was driving and couldn't get my rifle readied before he took off.  I reckon I'll never have an easier shot on a fawn killer.  Then, Saturday morning, we were sitting in the blind at sunrise with the windows open when a coyote started howling and all of a sudden, the entire countryside erupted in howls.  Sounded like dozens.  It was pretty awesome, but it also convinced me immediately that pigs aren't going to be our biggest problem.  

Talk to the landowner of the cow sooner rather than later.  If/when he starts destroying property, you get out in front of this.  It's also good to know everyone around you.  Murphy's Law isn't limited to the city and A LOT can go wrong farting around on undeveloped property.  

Yote's when threatened, make more yotes.  We exterminated all their natural predators (wolves/bears) to a large extent and they are thriving.  I forget the biological term, but when pushed, they replicate faster and breed to the sustainability of the surrounding environment.  They're fur-factories.  Like pigs.  Two things that impact this are pressure and prey (food).  You can pressure them off your property, but if there is abundant food, it's hopeless.  

One or the largest concentrations of song-dogs these days are in the cities where they thrive.

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Talk to the landowner of the cow sooner rather than later.  If/when he starts destroying property, you get out in front of this.  It's also good to know everyone around you.  Murphy's Law isn't limited to the city and A LOT can go wrong farting around on undeveloped property.  

Yote's when threatened, make more yotes.  We exterminated all their natural predators (wolves/bears) to a large extent and they are thriving.  I forget the biological term, but when pushed, they replicate faster and breed to the sustainability of the surrounding environment.  They're fur-factories.  Like pigs.  Two things that impact this are pressure and prey (food).  You can pressure them off your property, but if there is abundant food, it's hopeless.  

One or the largest concentrations of song-dogs these days are in the cities where they thrive.

We have a 200 acre place in between Hempstead and Navasota.  The guy who takes care of it has snared over 80 coyotes in the last year.  That is unbelievable.  I never see them there.  That's about what we snare in a given year in South Texas, and I see them all the time there.  (Granted, it is brush versus thick woods).

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Lazarus,

Use snares.  Best way to get rid of yotes.  I only run them when I am around though and can check them each day.  Even though I hate yotes, I want to kill them as humanely as possible.

I pretty much decided this weekend that's what's coming. Only problem is that we're really only out there 1-2 days at a stretch.  So far, my schedule has me getting to Whitsett after dark on Friday, leaving Sunday afternoon.  With that, I'm either running snares in the dark on Friday, or only trapping Saturday night.  I know fuck all about snaring coyotes, but if I get to learn it as part of developing the wildlife management plan, that's a win for me, a win for the land, and hopefully a loss for the 'yotes.  

4 hours ago, CHIEF said:

A pack of 3 sounds like 30. Might be time to invest in some night vision/thermal gear.

CHIEF

Thermal is in the works for me.  A couple of my partners already have thermal setups but I haven't gotten to try them out yet.  I'm making plans to invest in a decent rig next year.  I've been doing some research lately.  Will probably go thermal, as we've got flare stacks on three sides near us that throw quite a bit of ambient light that would probably mess with NV.  Even then, our place is almost entirely senderos with little open field, so even with thermal I suspect it will be challenging to get clean shots. I suspect it may come down to shoot pig -> leave pig in field -> shoot coyotes that come to eat pig.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

This is a decent deer for Scurry County. A little bit young, but he's definitely got the pose down for venturing in front of the camera.

That dang feeder is becoming the busiest pickup bar in town these days. I'm getting alerts every five minutes once the sun goes down each night.

Image-1-1.jpg.985e409cd69073ad6a527e3d56c3911a.jpg

I used to hunt an hour south of there and we had damn good deer.  I think you’ll be surprised what might show up. 

16 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

We have a 200 acre place in between Hempstead and Navasota.  The guy who takes care of it has snared over 80 coyotes in the last year.  That is unbelievable.  I never see them there.  That's about what we snare in a given year in South Texas, and I see them all the time there.  (Granted, it is brush versus thick woods).

Yeah, they're like pigs.  The more you kill, the more they breed.  I have a cousin that hunts/traps them and they just keep coming and coming.   They are easily the most persecuted predator in the US and close to a half million are taken each year (estimated).  

Biologists estimate you'd have to take YOY upwards of 70% of the total pig population just to MAINTAIN current pig population levels.  Song dogs are similar.  Heard there are huge numbers in NY, including Manhattan.  They can live and thrive almost anywhere.  It's wild.  

There are so many predators at our place, buzzards, yotes, hogs, mtn lions this poor deer didn’t have a chance.  I had passed this spot a week earlier and this leg wasn’t there so this happened in one week or less!  My buddy shot a hog last year and ran to the barn to get a rope to drag it off and the hogs eyes were eaten out in the 15 minutes he was gone.  Hell im scared to take a nap out there ....might get eaten by something :)0C51EAB6-E5B8-489B-9688-7CE8051E17B4.thumb.jpeg.98cce8de26569876460d3fc30a051d88.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Well, the good news for you is that if the GW goes off of your username he has now narrowed it down to about 1.5 million people living in and around Lafayette. So I think you're good for now. . 

The irony would be cuffing up "Cajun" for THAT "offense" considering what real Cajuns are up to on a 24/7/365 basis out in the field...errrrrrr...swamp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

They can live and thrive almost anywhere.  It's wild.  

I’ve heard that even a spiral staircase can’t stop them. 

31 minutes ago, Cajun said:

The irony would be cuffing up "Cajun" for THAT "offense" considering what real Cajuns are up to on a 24/7/365 basis out in the field...errrrrrr...swamp.

I once asked why they felt the need to shoot everything, limits be damned.  “Cuz we hungry, toup” was all I got back.  The discussion was literally about shooting and eating fucking pouldeaus.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, JCHIL said:

There are so many predators at our place, buzzards, yotes, hogs, mtn lions this poor deer didn’t have a chance.  I had passed this spot a week earlier and this leg wasn’t there so this happened in one week or less!  My buddy shot a hog last year and ran to the barn to get a rope to drag it off and the hogs eyes were eaten out in the 15 minutes he was gone.  Hell im scared to take a nap out there ....might get eaten by something :)0C51EAB6-E5B8-489B-9688-7CE8051E17B4.thumb.jpeg.98cce8de26569876460d3fc30a051d88.jpeg

About 10 years ago we were hunting on the Swenson Ranch between Aspermont and Hamlin. A shot this big solitary sow (500 or so lbs.) from about 600 yards. I was proud of the shot, of course, but it was like hitting a large dinner plate. CHIEF Jr. was not with me, but I decided to go show her to him the next morning. We went to the location, and I couldn't find her. We started looking around for her, and found nothing but her skull and spine about 50 yards away. The other hogs had eaten everything else overnight.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

They (hogs) have no predators and there is an abundance of food.  The eradication of the wolf is what helped the coyotes as it was both a predator and primary competitor for food.

We had a cow down on a buddies ranch.  Pretty rancid, looking to hook up to tractor and drag off.  As we did, a number of smaller pigs were actually partially in the body cavity and trying to go deeper.  They are so GD nasty.  People eat them.  More power to you.  I just can't.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Well, bust a cap in his ass, too. 

We just had the tractor and a bunch of gear to try and attach a leg or something and drag the carcass off.  It was beyond disgusting.  We had to soak bandanas in aftershave just to get close enough.  We were gagging and retching the whole time.  Only time that was worse was a cow that died and was bloated on the side of a stock tank, semi submerged and threatening to poison the whole water source.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

How long has your Spypoint been running? Mine stopped sending me photos after about a month.

Mines been up and running since Sept 19th.  Currently @ 81% battery, but it has the solar panel on it as well.  It's dropped a bit over the last few days, so may have to adjust the settings.  The transmission settings seem to be the biggest drain on battery. 

My last transmission was 9/28 with 90% signal and 81% battery. I've been checking it manually the last few weeks as I have a regular game camera out there as well. Our land is only a half an hour off, so it's not like I have to make a big trip to mess with cams that aren't working right, but it's still annoying.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

My last transmission was 9/28 with 90% signal and 81% battery. I've been checking it manually the last few weeks as I have a regular game camera out there as well. Our land is only a half an hour off, so it's not like I have to make a big trip to mess with cams that aren't working right, but it's still annoying.

I recall mine shutting down last year much earlier than I would have anticipated with the battery level that it was reporting. I just moved mine to once a day transmission. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

What you recommend? 

Have heard good things about Ridgetec and Cuddlelink.  Both are $$ compared to typical cellular cameras sold at Academy, etc.   I had a Spylink at our place and couldn’t pick up a cell signal with it. I want to try a Ridgetec but have t got around to buying one.

What you recommend? 
I've got the Cuddeback system with 3 cameras. 1 main camera that transmits all the pics and 2 remote cameras that sync with the main. I like their system because I can have a bunch of cameras spread across my land and only pay 1 monthly/yearly price.
I've had them for 2 years and haven't had any major issues out if them.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

I've got the Cuddeback system with 3 cameras. 1 main camera that transmits all the pics and 2 remote cameras that sync with the main. I like their system because I can have a bunch of cameras spread across my land and only pay 1 monthly/yearly price.
I've had them for 2 years and haven't had any major issues out if them.

That’s what I was going to go with first.  Wife might get pissed if I grab that whole setup.  Might do it anyhow. Got another guy on the lease that has a 3 pack set up around his pasture. 

• Like 1