Corpus Christi

Cement

On 8/26/2021 at 9:57 PM, pch said:

Three Corpus favorites I grew up with in the 60's-Snapka's drive in has great hamburgers, Panjo's pizza does great pie, and Chicken Shack has the best fried chicken on the coast.

This and Harvey's Barn Door (RIP), Hamlin Pharmacy, and I'll add in Wallbangers as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I haven't been to CC in probably a dozen years.  Is Black Diamond still around?  Any good, if so?

Black Diamond Oyster Company on Waldron?  Yes.  Still around.

Heard great reviews but still haven't made it there.  Damn, I'm lazy since it's 3 min from work.

1 hour ago, Ag with kids said:

https://www.blackdiamondoysterbar.com/menu

Maybe that was a different one or they moved, but there's a Black Diamond Oyster Bar open on Waldron.

The location I used to go to was on SPID.  It looks like they have moved to NAS Drive. I always liked their gumbo.  The roux must have been as dark as 30 weight motor oil.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

I went to Umyia this weekend, it’s a new all you can eat sushi place.  You order from your table but can get whatever you want but will be charged more for having a lot of leftovers.  It beat my expectations for all you can eat sushi and was pretty damn good.  Not a bad deal at all for like $27. 

Edited by Hook1997

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

It’s still on North Beach if that’s the one you’re thinking of.

There is the Blackbeard's on North Beach and Blackbeard's Too in Ingleside if you need it.  Like at Denny's, you can eat for free on your birthday.  At least, I assume you can still do that at Denny's.  Maybe Denny's stopped doing that.  I don't know.  But I do know you can eat for free on your birthday at either of the Blackbeard's establishments.

10 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

This is what I was trying to remember. Wasn't the original next to a strip club off Airline?

Eh…maybe. Or maybe WAS a strip joint at one point. It was at Airline / Gollihar in the 70s and into the 80s. Then I remember it was The Bair’s Den dive bar. 

The one at Nile (or is it Rodd Field?) was next to the titty bar. The titty bar had a stupid name, can’t remember, but had lots of midgets, preggos, amputees, and stab-wound scars abounding. Was a great place to drink for cheap during the day, though, without getting hustled. Turned into a Sports Bar for a while. Played a lot of Poker there. I think it’s just called The Tavern now. And the Black Diamond next to it is a car lot now. 

Fuckin’ Corpus, man…

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, After irth said:

Eh…maybe. Or maybe WAS a strip joint at one point. It was at Airline / Gollihar in the 70s and into the 80s. Then I remember it was The Bair’s Den dive bar. 

The one at Nile (or is it Rodd Field?) was next to the titty bar. The titty bar had a stupid name, can’t remember, but had lots of midgets, preggos, amputees, and stab-wound scars abounding. Was a great place to drink for cheap during the day, though, without getting hustled. Turned into a Sports Bar for a while. Played a lot of Poker there. I think it’s just called The Tavern now. And the Black Diamond next to it is a car lot now. 

Fuckin’ Corpus, man…

I think you are right, but its been 20 years.

Fuckin Corpus is the correct answer.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, After irth said:

Fuckin’ Corpus, man…

For those who went to Ray, just had some flashbacks to the Elva's Destroyers. That was some goot shit back in the day. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/29/2021 at 8:08 PM, Hook1997 said:

I went to Umyia this weekend, it’s a new all you can eat sushi place.  You order from your table but can get whatever you want but will be charged more for having a lot of leftovers.  It beat my expectations for all you can eat sushi and was pretty damn good.  Not a bad deal at all for like $27. 

Oh yeah...this reminded me.

If you like decent (not super) sushi, Scuttlebutt's sushi rolls are half price during HH.  Definitely worth a shot at that price.

But, I'm definitely going to try this Umyia place out sometime.

• Hook 'Em 1

BTW, I'm going to the REK concert tonight at the ABC in downtown and staying at the Omni (yes, I live in Corpus, but on the island and fuck driving home from there - I'm getting shitty tonight).  Going to do some drinks at the Republic and maybe an appetizer before the concert.

Other than Brewster, what's a good place to go after it's over?  I rarely come downtown and even more rarely at night.

And then, is there a good brunch/lunch place for tomorrow late morning?  I know some of the usual suspects (Exec Surf, Water Street, etc).

1 hour ago, Ag with kids said:

BTW, I'm going to the REK concert tonight at the ABC in downtown and staying at the Omni (yes, I live in Corpus, but on the island and fuck driving home from there - I'm getting shitty tonight).  Going to do some drinks at the Republic and maybe an appetizer before the concert.

Other than Brewster, what's a good place to go after it's over?  I rarely come downtown and even more rarely at night.

And then, is there a good brunch/lunch place for tomorrow late morning?  I know some of the usual suspects (Exec Surf, Water Street, etc).

I enjoyed The Exchange when we went a few months back. Good food and stiff drinks.  

3 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

2 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I enjoyed The Exchange when we went a few months back. Good food and stiff drinks.  

It is probably open again by now, but The Exchange was closed when I was downtown a few weeks ago.  Think there was a positive COVID test among the staff.  Might want to call ahead and be sure.

I like stopping in at Rebel Toad next door to The Exchange if I am in that part of town and just want a beer or two.  Mesquite Street Pizza serves food late into the evening if I am not mistaken.

As far as brunch, I cannot help you much there.  Maybe Bella Luna does brunch?  I don't know.  But, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, Nueces Brewing has some pretty good bbq.  Brisket for brunch seems like a good idea to me.  

Edited by ScottS
ou sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 10:10 AM, Ag with kids said:

On the island, Doc's, Angry Marlin, Costa Sur, Surfside Sandwich, Island Time

On the bluff, Costa Vieja, Lumpia House

I try not to go much further from the island than the bluff, though, so I really don't know that much in town other than what I've heard.

Oh...Harrison's Landing in the Marina is decent.  Went there once when I was working in downtown.

When I lived on the island we kind of like Island Italian but I would never recommend it to anyone if that sounds weird.  Port Aransas has more, better restaurants that CC.  Docs is excellent.  Snoopy's, I havent eaten at since Earnie Butler sold it though I can't imagine its much different.  Scuttlebutts is fine.  I hear great things about the sushi joints out there and Dragonfly used to be damn good.  

In town we just tried Dokyo Dauntaun, its downtown if the name didn't give it away.  They have some really creative cocktails and excellent sushi.

There are mexican food greasy spoons on every corner and in between.  Most are fine (if you know what to order)and better than most taco places north of San Antonio. (pro tip, if you like carne asada, try Taqueria Lost Altos De Jalisco #2 on I 37 and Corn Product on the way into town.  Order the Carne asada with no lettuce or tomatoes, put a whole container of their hot sauce on it, a sprinkle of salt and you're welcome)

1 hour ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

When I lived on the island we kind of like Island Italian but I would never recommend it to anyone if that sounds weird.  Port Aransas has more, better restaurants that CC.  Docs is excellent.  Snoopy's, I havent eaten at since Earnie Butler sold it though I can't imagine its much different.  Scuttlebutts is fine.  I hear great things about the sushi joints out there and Dragonfly used to be damn good.  

In town we just tried Dokyo Dauntaun, its downtown if the name didn't give it away.  They have some really creative cocktails and excellent sushi.

There are mexican food greasy spoons on every corner and in between.  Most are fine (if you know what to order)and better than most taco places north of San Antonio. (pro tip, if you like carne asada, try Taqueria Lost Altos De Jalisco #2 on I 37 and Corn Product on the way into town.  Order the Carne asada with no lettuce or tomatoes, put a whole container of their hot sauce on it, a sprinkle of salt and you're welcome)

Did you mean N Padre Island and not Port A?  Because all of those are here on NPI.

I DID find out last week that our research center is going to building up another office in downtown in the old JC Penney building (which TAMU-CC bought a few years ago).  Since, I'll be in charge of a lot of the stuff that gets set up in that center I may be spending more time downtown than I ever have.  Will be interesting...maybe I'll finally have an excuse to try all these places down there since I won't immediately leave the Bluff and head straight back OTB....

On 8/27/2021 at 10:12 AM, stc said:

stopped at railroad brewing co. for lunch the last time i was down there. the beers were terrible to extremely terrible but they had some surprisingly good seafood. it was also packed at lunch on a monday. 

Because it is sorta King's Inn north from former King's Inn staff in the kitchen and purloined recipes.  

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

On 8/29/2021 at 11:12 PM, After irth said:

The original one off Airline was magnificent. The other location off SPID/Nile was tolerable. After that…unknown. 

Having grown up on Meadowbrook, I loved the Airline location and haven't found anything elsewhere that compares.  RIP to the original.

• Like 1

I spent about a year and a half down in Corpus on and off when we remodeled a house in Flour Bluff, here are my two cents.

First Black Diamond Oyster Bar, especially for Lunch, or on Sunday evenings when they have the bluff rats paying music.

Taqueria Almeida #1 on Waldren down by the Flour Bluff schools has some serious ass breakfast tacos. Always a line.

We tended to go to El Gallo de Jalisco, from the earlier photo, simply as the location was near where I would buy my bulk ice,  

Andy's Country Kitchen has great breakfasts and is like a throwback to the 1960's.  Nearly always a line.

And oddball one that I ended up liking was a dive bar with damn good food, Black Monk Tavern, great fish tacos and all the food is pretty darn good. taco Tuesdays buy one get one and make a new friend.

Rock N Rolls Sushi - more of a party than traditional sushi place.  Pretty good rolls, mainly will serve your ass if you roll in at 5 until 10 pm.  AND they take bar seat reservations, which is great for fisherman like me.

B Co- Or Padre Island Burger Company.  Good burgers and you can forgo the line if you sit at the bar (noting a pattern?)  $3 Jack on Saturday's is always good too.

One oddball place that sort of reminded me of Austin was Z Counter off Airline.  It was Asian Fusion and I don't think I ever had a bad meal there.  Usually a line at lunch.

There are some decent eats downtown and bars as well, but I tended to be out towards the island most of the time.  It's growing like a week in Corpus, and you are seeing more and more national/regional chains coming it because of the growth.  I prefer to buy local if possible though.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/28/2021 at 7:23 PM, tx 3 putt said:

I’ve been creeping around that calallen circle since 96 hahaha

Creeping like, "I can't believe the mofo never called me back?"

OR

Creepin' like, "can you believe that guy came up and actually thought he could talk to us?"  😉

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

Thirty years ago there was a restaurant called La Pesca.  The main attraction for me was their brown ancho salsa, which was just exquisite.  Somewhere in a box I still have a Black Diamond tee shirt.

I don't remember La Pesca, but old enough to remember Old Mexico over by Buc Stadium.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Anyone have good recommendations on a place to watch the game on Saturday that’s kinda close to downtown?   Thanks.  

Downtown Corpus is not exactly overrun with sports bars.  I know Railroad has several televisions around the place and Brewster Street Icehouse near Whataburger Field is probably not short televisions.  Food and drinks at both locations.  They open at 11 am on Saturdays so assuming kickoff is sometime shortly after that you can get to either place when they open and not miss anything.

Cassidy's Irish Pub or Flanagan's might be an option.  I don't think I've ever been in either establishment so I cannot say for sure.  I do not recall any televisions at Mesquite Street Pizza but the last time I was there it was late at night and I was drinking so who knows.  You might also look at Crawdaddy's and the places on Water Street.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone have any experience at The Post?  Food looks really good.  I went to a sports bar down there about six years ago that had big TV’s and had a damn good steak but I have no clue what it was called.  Looks like the inside of Hardknocks but that definitely wasn’t the food options then, maybe they changed owners.  

2 hours ago, ScottS said:

Downtown Corpus is not exactly overrun with sports bars.  I know Railroad has several televisions around the place and Brewster Street Icehouse near Whataburger Field is probably not short televisions.  Food and drinks at both locations.  They open at 11 am on Saturdays so assuming kickoff is sometime shortly after that you can get to either place when they open and not miss anything.

Cassidy's Irish Pub or Flanagan's might be an option.  I don't think I've ever been in either establishment so I cannot say for sure.  I do not recall any televisions at Mesquite Street Pizza but the last time I was there it was late at night and I was drinking so who knows.  You might also look at Crawdaddy's and the places on Water Street.

Ya mean even MORE places you’ve never been to…?

16 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Anyone have any experience at The Post?  Food looks really good.  I went to a sports bar down there about six years ago that had big TV’s and had a damn good steak but I have no clue what it was called.  Looks like the inside of Hardknocks but that definitely wasn’t the food options then, maybe they changed owners.  

The Post does not open until noon on Saturday.  Food there is good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1