Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, Pods said:

You are correct, but that is also exactly the thing that happened to Sark tonight. He's a dead man walking and our recruiting, along with the ability to attract transfers and top coaching talent just evaporated. 

Not if the message is managed properly. The AD needs the message to be 1) the culture and players are inadequate and 2) we believe in Sark to fix it. It's what he's here to do. 

That gives Sark the ability to recruit his type of guys to build something and early playing time for those who show out. Can point to Worthy as an example. Also a top QB can feel comfortable committing here if he feels he's the guy and Sark will be around for the build. It's crucial the messaging is correct. 

36 minutes ago, mdmost said:

More like Seven Loss Steve this year. 

He won't be fired. There's too much money tied up in him and his staff. It's not realistic no matter how much of hissy fit people have on here. No one is fired in their first year without cause. Someone will fall on their sword, just not sure who yet. PK needs to go. It's not just his players. Kansas made you look like a JV defense. 

This. You think the pool of candidates has been shallow enough the past few years, go ahead and cut a a guy loose during (or shortly after) Year 1. No one will take this job.

31 minutes ago, mdmost said:

More like Seven Loss Steve this year. 

He won't be fired. There's too much money tied up in him and his staff. It's not realistic no matter how much of hissy fit people have on here. No one is fired in their first year without cause. Someone will fall on their sword, just not sure who yet. PK needs to go. It's not just his players. Kansas made you look like a JV defense. 

Yes. 

And for all we know, Sark is seeing the rot in the program for what it is and may have some plan for correcting it. 

I can't tell what is going on. Sark is here for offense and we score points and have opportunities to score more often if the players could block and catch passes. The defense? Putrid.

I know. I know, the HC is ultimately responsible. I honestly can't say I give up on Sark. I think he's being surprised by what he has found here, just as Bo has been. Now let's see what the next year brings.

As written above, he's not going anywhere. Calling for him to be fired is pointless right now.

I dread getting a new defensive staff just because the turnover here has been so rapid. People who seem to know what they're talking about have made astute criticism of PK. 

Right now, I'd give a nut for A&M's defensive coordinator and their OL coach as well. I hate writing that. I also hate  that I didn't care that I missed the game tonight. I never felt so dead about a season before.

30 minutes ago, NashLonghorn said:

Oh the irony—-who would’ve thought at the beginning of the season that at this date Baylor is likely heading for the Big 12 Championship game and we are now looking at an 8 loss season.  Possibly losing 7 fucking games in a row.   KU was supposed to be the easy game. 

FUCK..

Baylor is probably going to win their 3rd (3!) Big 12 title since our last. 

13 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Nephew says that Sark just did what it took Charlie three years to do. Daughter says "So you are saying Sark is an overachiever"

My 13 year old son asked tonight  why Texas has it's own Network and TV channel...I tried to explain they used to be pretty good at football...He just snickered and walked away...

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You really think there's any shot that Steve Sarkisian's second season at Texas is as improved as Aranda's second at Baylor?

Aranda saw the shit that didn't work and immediately made changes. Got new OC and other offensive staffers. I can only pray that Sark does the same thing in regards to DC here. 

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Texas high school football might be the problem.

No doubt there are a LOT of problems contributing to UT’s decade-plus of futility.  The coaching, the Texas high school football recruiting base, The Big XII’s decline, and the culture around the UT program should all be up for discussion……but that’s all been true for quite some time like Bill Murray waking up and living out the same day in Puxatawney day after day, or in our case, year after year

Just now, Steelers Roll Left said:

No doubt there are a LOT of problems contributing to UT’s decade-plus of futility.  The coaching, the Texas high school football recruiting base, The Big XII’s decline, and the culture around the UT program should all be up for discussion……but that’s all been true for quite some time like Bill Murray waking up and living out the same day in Puxatawney day after day, or in our case, year after year

Helobious is right, though. Texas is loaded with football talent. We get a lot of it. I can't figure out how these coaches can be so inept with the kids we get.

3 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

the problem is the coaching, nothing more, nothing less.  

• Hook 'Em 3

this is the scenario where there is a chance for a 3 way tiebreaker:

Baylor wins last 2
One of OU or OSU has to lose next week
The opposite team who won the week before must lose in Bedlam

That is the first level of order of operations.  If OU and OSU both win next week (or Baylor loses 1) then there is no chance of a 3 way tie.

Added difficulty - the rule is:

Scoring differential among the tied teams. The team or teams with the lowest difference between points scored and points allowed in games vs. the tied teams is eliminated from consideration.

Baylor is now at +3
OU is -13
OSU is +10

Assuming that OSU loses next week and then beats OU --- then that +3 points doesn't matter. Baylor at +0 or +3 is the exact same.  It will be Baylor vs OSU.

If OU loses next week and then beats OSU then it is the difference of OU winning by 7+ or by 10+

Next year when they visit Norman, I am sure they will not have to worry about a tiebreaker....

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

Helobious is right, though. Texas is loaded with football talent. We get a lot of it. I can't figure out how these coaches can be so inept with the kids we get.

Look at how many out of state guys we got in 2019 & how many of them were busts and already left. And never forget strong’s “Florida 5” group. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Texas high school football provides plenty of talent to the schools that are actually good at football.   The Big 12, however, is definitely a problem.  It’s like the SWC in its dying years.  

It’s not a coincidence that we became much more nationally relevant in football and basketball after joining the Big 12 (when it was still a big time conference) than we were in the SWC, even though you could make all the same arguments about how it should have been so much easier to win against Rice and SMU than Big 12 teams.  The SEC will be good for our football program.  Probably neutral for basketball, but we’re definitely going to be forced to step it up in football and we’re going to have a higher ceiling as a program as a result of being in the big leagues.  

I get crushed when I say this.

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

We let people that don’t know dick about football hire our coaches. That’s our problem. 

I did not like CDC's reasoning for choosing Sark, the way he described it. I can't remember the exact quote from CDC at Sark's introductory presser, but he said something to the effect of "we debated on who to hire, and when Sark's name was brought up we said yeah he sounds good..."

16 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's pretty much they likely coddle these dudes and set low expectations. ...It's like the dad that wants to be his son's best buddy; instead of, lead his family and be the disciplinarian his kid needs to grow into a successful adult.

Edited by Azbadlands

8 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I did not like CDC's reasoning for choosing Sark, the way he described it. I can't remember the exact quote from CDC at Sark's introductory presser, but he said something to the effect of "we debated on who to hire, and when Sark's name was brought up we said yeah he sounds good..."

CDC didn’t choose Sark…a BoR member did.

CDC was reading what he was told to read during the press conference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we can do just fine with Kiffen.  At least he's not a pussy like Sark.

He’s not all that different than Sark if you ask me. 

Flopped at USC, Tennessee, and 5-5 in year 1 at Ole Miss. good year so far this year. 

If he had a year 1 like he did at Ole Miss you would be wanting another coach. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Flopped at USC, Tennessee, and 5-5 in year 1 at Ole Miss. good year so far this year. 

no one wants to play for Sark.  recruiting is gonna tank.

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Kiffen and Sark were the same people at USC.  Both of them were initially gifted their label of offensive gurus because they were living off the ghost of Norm Chow, arguably the best offensive coordinator ever.

The difference is Kiffen seems like he's picking stuff up and getting better.  Sark has always just been Sark.

Edited by wablty

It is a good question. 

Would Texas sign off on an OC like Briles or a DC like Durkin? 

Based on how Texas handles NIL I’m going to say that’s a big no. I’m not sure how I feel about hiring these types but I do know the Texas athletic department has no killer instinct and doesn’t want to win enough compared to other schools. 

I’m starting to believe these Cal comparisons are right. That’s who we want to be. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

22 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

There isn’t a coach available that doesn’t have major warts.

When James Franklin, Lane Kiffin and Matt Campbell are about as good as you can do I would much rather roll the dice with somebody like Traylor. 

He’s unproven at this level but everyone else is proven to be average or shitty. 

fuck, I'd take Franklin in a heartbeat.  the guy has won 11 games 3 times and won....wait for it....9 games at Vanderbilt....wait for it....TWICE.

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?