College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

56 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Fucking hell, dude, you're not serious, are you?

What do you want?  Barnes could have been the best coach in Clemson history.  He didn't stick around to find out and he was arguably knocking on that door in just 4 years.  Everyone here is getting caught up in what is a good job and what isn't.  With the budgets and money that A&M has and is spending A&M is a great job and that's clearly how coaches see it otherwise they wouldn't have gotten someone like Jimbo and they would have gone after a Shaka Smart instead of a Buzz Williams.  I know that is going to piss 99% of the people here off but if coaches didn't see it as a good job then they would absolutely run from it.  Any coach has the potential to be the best coach in the history of their school, almost every coach wants to be the best coach in the history of basketball and the best way to do that is to keep moving up to where resources and recruiting is more plentiful.  Marquette had restrictions because of realignment so he took a job with less restrictions due to budgets.  Now he's taking a job with a bigger budget, higher pay, better recruiting, and in a conference where he can potentially win or be in the top 3 each year, which wouldn't happen at VT.  AND the expectations are lower as has been stated here by everyone that aggie overpays and has low expectations.  Wouldn't you like a job where you get possibly twice your market value and are only expected to win at half the rate?  Sign me the fuck up, that's a great job.  Oh I can actually win on top of that if I continue to coach at my level just because I'm going to get better talent from the local pool?  Fucking Hell get me in there right now.

The aggie job is a good job.  Other than being in college station and being aggie, not one person has stated why it is a bad job.  You could argue that it is a better job than any of the blue bloods right now because of the massive expectations that would be made of a coach following Self, Roy, K, or Calipari.  Aggieland has none of that pressure.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

What do you want?  Barnes could have been the best coach in Clemson history.  He didn't stick around to find out and he was arguably knocking on that door in just 4 years.  Everyone here is getting caught up in what is a good job and what isn't.  With the budgets and money that A&M has and is spending A&M is a great job and that's clearly how coaches see it otherwise they wouldn't have gotten someone like Jimbo and they would have gone after a Shaka Smart instead of a Buzz Williams.  I know that is going to piss 99% of the people here off but if coaches didn't see it as a good job then they would absolutely run from it.  Any coach has the potential to be the best coach in the history of their school, almost every coach wants to be the best coach in the history of basketball and the best way to do that is to keep moving up to where resources and recruiting is more plentiful.  Marquette had restrictions because of realignment so he took a job with less restrictions due to budgets.  Now he's taking a job with a bigger budget, higher pay, better recruiting, and in a conference where he can potentially win or be in the top 3 each year, which wouldn't happen at VT.  AND the expectations are lower as has been stated here by everyone that aggie overpays and has low expectations.  Wouldn't you like a job where you get possibly twice your market value and are only expected to win at half the rate?  Sign me the fuck up, that's a great job.  Oh I can actually win on top of that if I continue to coach at my level just because I'm going to get better talent from the local pool?  Fucking Hell get me in there right now.

The aggie job is a good job.  Other than being in college station and being aggie, not one person has stated why it is a bad job.  You could argue that it is a better job than any of the blue bloods right now because of the massive expectations that would be made of a coach following Self, Roy, K, or Calipari.  Aggieland has none of that pressure.

Pretty sure he's referencing McGuire re: Marquette. 

12 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I know that A&M sucks and that everyone here has to hate them with a passion but the truth of the matter is

What you are saying is that because I'm close to A&M and have been for my whole life, I am incapable of objectively evaluating the attractiveness of its head basketball coaching position.

Let me turn that around and say that because you've only ever observed them from afar, you are ignorant about the relative attractiveness of its head basketball coaching position beyond surface aspects like coaching salary and generic geography.

Your response almost totally misses the point, to where I am disinterested in continuing. Buzz Williams doesn't-- didn't-- need to take the A&M job and build it up to get another, better job. It wasn't a lateral move but it also was a surprisingly unambitious one for a guy who is already at the age where he's supposed to take his best shot at the big-time.

11 hours ago, Jhawk said:

They just fired the coach that made the most Sweet 16s in A&M history and they all thought he sucked. 

Lulz at "none of that pressure". They're already talking about final 4s. If Buzz isn't making the elite 8/final 4 by year 3 they're going to go crazy. This at a school that's never made an elite 8 in their history. 

Edited by texasstrong12

20 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Not a crap job, but hard to recruit kids to go to Blacksburg, in the middle of nowhere.  Not a bad place to live other than winter (basketball season).

You're surrounded by UVA, UNC, Duke, even NC State. All within a 3 hour drive.

This is why I think V-Tech is a better job than it gets credit for. All those schools are fairly successful and even the smaller schools like VCU have success with every coach they hire. That area is talent rich. 

V-Tech landing tier 2 or tier 3 talent in that area probably allows them to compete. Guys like Justin Robinson, Ty Outlaw, Isaiah Wilkins, Ahmed Hill, PJ Horne, Landers Nolley weren't highly ranked and they're good players. Hill and Nolley were composite top 100 recruits but outside the top 60. 

You can build a pretty damn good roster recruiting the 2nd/3rd tier recruits in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

What you are saying is that because I'm close to A&M and have been for my whole life, I am incapable of objectively evaluating the attractiveness of its head basketball coaching position.

Let me turn that around and say that because you've only ever observed them from afar, you are ignorant about the relative attractiveness of its head basketball coaching position beyond surface aspects like coaching salary and generic geography.

Your response almost totally misses the point, to where I am disinterested in continuing. Buzz Williams doesn't-- didn't-- need to take the A&M job and build it up to get another, better job. It wasn't a lateral move but it also was a surprisingly unambitious one for a guy who is already at the age where he's supposed to take his best shot at the big-time.

Disinterested in continuing and then you respond a second time to my post.  Very derka of you. How about this... Buzz took the A&M job because he sees it as a better job.  Is he close enough to the basketball world to have a better understanding of good job vs. bad job than both of us or do you have a better understanding than him too?

16 hours ago, Jhawk said:

If buzz built VT to what he did and that is an acceptable level of success then he will have zero problem doing that at A&M.  Coaches don't have the bias about jobs that fans do.  He sees a place that he gets paid, can win, and can possibly move up from.  At 46 that is the perfect job.

If I were to ever find myself in a situation where I considered living in college station as some sort of perfection, someone please put a fucking bullet in my brain. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Disinterested in continuing and then you respond a second time to my post.  Very derka of you. How about this... Buzz took the A&M job because he sees it as a better job.  Is he close enough to the basketball world to have a better understanding of good job vs. bad job than both of us or do you have a better understanding than him too?

I can't really speak to Buzz's understanding, as choosing A&M is actually medically indicative of Down's Syndrome, but I'm pretty confident about the rest of it.

Edited by SwanderedTalent

43 minutes ago, Blotto said:

If I were to ever find myself in a situation where I considered living in college station as some sort of perfection, someone please put a fucking bullet in my brain. 

99% of college coaches don't care where they live because they have no lives outside the gym.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I can't really speak to Buzz's understanding, as choosing A&M is actually medically indicative of Down's Syndrome, but I'm pretty confident about the rest of it.

There you go. Just like I said people here can’t come up with one quantifiable reason that A&M is a bad job. It isn’t that they ruin coaching careers, under pay, have shit facilities, or aren’t willing to spend money on basketball. It’s because you have to have some form of mental retardation to want to be associated with that school. It’s fine to believe that. I don’t like A&M either. But don’t talk about knowing a good job from a bad job if that’s the best you’ve got. 

Edited by Jhawk

20 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

There you go. Just like I said people here can’t come up with one quantifiable reason that A&M is a bad job. It isn’t that they ruin coaching careers, under pay, have shit facilities, or aren’t willing to spend money on basketball. It’s because you have to have some form of mental retardation to want to be associated with that school. It’s fine to believe that. I don’t like A&M either. But don’t talk about knowing a good job from a bad job if that’s the best you’ve got. 

I don't think it's a bad job at all (location to Houston and $$$), but they certainly suffer from a football first mentality along with a list of other problems.

1.) B/CS isn't a great place to recruit to

2.) Lack of history

3.) Lack of attendance if you aren't having a great year

4.) Reed Arena isn't great.

Yep, after all of this, back to one of the original targets.  And an uninspired one.  But he has been to the tourney 9 straight years.  He can clearly coach.  But can he get a team to the next level?  We shall see.  I wonder how much more we are going to have to pay him than we were originally going to now that we have lost all negotiating leverage.

Edited by Sbbruin

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I actually like Cronin and think he will do well and they will always have a gritty defense with him. 

In the immortal words of Ellen Griswold- with every new day there's fresh hope.  If you had told me at the beginning of this it would be Cronin, I'd have been ok with it.  But the process was Keystone Cops-esque at its finest.

His deal calls for charter planes for all road games.  We are in the big leagues now!

Edited by Sbbruin

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Cincy doesn't have the pull these days to bring in a big name anymore, right? I know the AAC is moving up in stature but they're still outside the P-5.

Pitino or they can go Memphis/Vandy and bring in some NBA player with a cool guy persona (the Kliff Ks of mens BB)

55 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well all righty then.....

a lot of fans would-- they don't think so, and they wouldn't go into a hire with that explicit quid pro quo, but if you asked them ten years later if it was worth it, I think you would be unpleasantly surprised how many would say "ayup"

If your program gets nuked a la SMU, no, obviously not, but the NCAA doesn't do that anymore. USC's recent problems on the football field are USC-created. Strictly in terms of whether or not Carroll was worth it, I think a lot of USC fans would say yes

Just now, SwanderedTalent said:

a lot of fans would-- they don't think so, and they wouldn't go into a hire with that explicit quid pro quo, but if you asked them ten years later if it was worth it, I think you would be unpleasantly surprised how many would say "ayup"

If your program gets nuked a la SMU, no, obviously not, but the NCAA doesn't do that anymore. USC's recent problems on the football field are USC-created. Strictly in terms of whether or not Carroll was worth it, I think a lot of USC fans would say yes

Yeah I agree. I have a hard time getting on board with that notion, but I know that ride when you're winning is sweet.

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Fucking Penn State can bring in Top 5 classes and their fan base still thinks aiding and abetting child rape was worth having Joe Pa put them on the map, so that their current rape-cover-up coach can lead them to Big 10 titles. I imagine a majority of their fan base would even say it to the face of one of Sandusky's victims.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

Bruin, can you list all of the coaches that have rejected UCLA between this hire and the Alford hire?

Did some looking and here are the rumors I was able to find:

2013: Gottfried, Endfield (dunk city), Wright, Stevens, Shaka, settled on Alford

2019: Cal, Barnes, Dixon, settle on Cronin.

I'm not sure which are rumors and who rejected overtures, but the fact that this many people were on the list each time is insanity.  The AD should be fired.  Especially when you consider he has now hired 4 football coaches as well as 3 basketball coaches.

• Pancho changed the title to College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition