Jump to content

This is who Steve Sarkisian is.


lilMAC25

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Yes. One guy WON and the other guy LOST.

 

Are you unable to understand the difference in the two outcomes?

Good god. The original comment about “let’s not give Herman too much credit” was a joke about how crappy we’ve been for years.

But no, I don’t think that comparing single games against Kansas with almost identical scores tell us anything about whether one coach is meaningfully better than the other, beyond how it contributes to their overall records. It means Texas won one and lost one - of course that’s all that’s meaningful for the team and the season, but it isn’t significant evidence of coaching acumen.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, immamac said:

I am still over here belly laughing that people think sark is a great recruiter and that NIL has only a small part to do with it. 

I also think it's funny as fuck that you guys think everyone just left Oklahoma to follow Lincoln Riley for free. He burned the fucking program down by money whipping everyone, staff included. 

It's also funny that you think bags = NIL and work the same way. They do not. Bags go to decision makers that make decisions for their kids. NIL goes to the player and cuts that poison out so the kid actually makes the decision because there is no illusion that they need crooked uncle willy to work the deals. The deals are there and they can get away from crooked uncle willy. 

Every coach recruited well here especially in the beginning.  Herman I think had 7 of the top ten Texas players in the foster class.   Yes I know they all ended up sucking but that’s a coaching and evaluation issue.  
 

but with nil who knows how well herm, Mack and Charlie would’ve done

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Good god. The original comment about “let’s not give Herman too much credit” was a joke about how crappy we’ve been for years.

But no, I don’t think that comparing single games against Kansas with almost identical scores tell us anything about whether one coach is meaningfully better than the other, beyond how it contributes to their overall records. It means Texas won one and lost one - of course that’s all that’s meaningful for the team and the season, but it isn’t significant evidence of coaching acumen.

Well, sorry I missed your joke.
 

Good thing I also pointed out that their records were vastly different as well.

Edited by lilMAC25
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The difference between a win and a loss is actually immeasurable and infinite. So no, they are in fact entirely and extremely different. 

Comparing those is virtually inconsequential when in reference to a coach’s ability to lead and to win consistently over time.

Sam saved Herman’s ass. The players screwed up in the other two. In crunch time that is. In none of the cases can you overlook shitty preparation.

A win is preferred always over a loss, yes. I would have preferred a bowl game last year so that was impactful.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

God dammit now I’m telling Zeus lol.

I actually am fairly confident against Baylor. I think Sark realizes he needs to commit to the run game even if it struggles early. 
None of that changes my overall opinion on Sark but I’m not particularly worried about Baylor and wasn’t particularly worried about Kansas. 

Tomorrow will say a lot about sark.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

 

  Everyone can think NIL is THE game changer or not, but the reality is kids largely play for a guy and not the organization. The school is a huge cog but to think WHO is recruiting said kids isn't important is short-sighted. Kids these days come with a team of people around them that are acting as a think tank, processing all the variables. The talented ones are thinking "who can get me to the league". So they are looking at the system they run and how they fit in

 

This is probably true for many low rated recruits, but it’s absolutely false for the top of the food chain difference makers.   Those guys get paid and that’s probably the #1 factor.

Aggies signed the highest rated class of all time with 8 five star recruits, that’s 1/4 of all the 5 stars in a class.  They did that without having a DC, so thinking they loaded all that talent because those kids and their handlers were looking at the system TBD ran, how they fit in, if TBD would get them to the league, or anything other than money is certainly an opinion.  

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

This is probably true for many low rated recruits, but it’s absolutely false for the top of the food chain difference makers.   Those guys get paid and that’s probably the #1 factor.

Aggies signed the highest rated class of all time with 8 five star recruits, that’s 1/4 of all the 5 stars in a class.  They did that without having a DC, so thinking they loaded all that talent because those kids and their handlers were looking at the system TBD ran, how they fit in, if TBD would get them to the league, or anything other than money is certainly an opinion.  

Nah, it's all because of Jimbo's charming personality and aggy's enrollment numbers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Surly will argue over anything, including irrefutable facts like Strong sucked and Herman sucked. Mind bottling.  

That all our coaches suck is almost unanimously agreed upon; we really just like to debate the degree to which they suck.

Let’s face it, we really just like to argue.

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Herman sucked, but he was EASILY better than Strong and so far, much better at winning games than Sark. The difference in record and in losses to Kansas are 100% undeniable.

 

 

ETA: it’s hard to take seriously anyone who was gong to bat for Strong after 2 seven loss seasons and in the midst of the 3rd. That’s brutally bad judgement. Falling in love with a meth addled stripper level bad judgement. Letting the British Army escape from Dunkirk level bad judgement. Ignoring the oil fields in favor of capturing Stalingrad level of bad judgement.

Herman has been much better sark or Charlie.   
 

I like the argument of “Tom had nfl qb talent”.  It’s not like those guys are killing it in the pros and Sam single-handedly lost us a few games as a freshman.  Also Taylor heinecke is an nfl qb.  Card, Quinn and Casey Thompson we’re all four stars or better

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

That all our coaches suck is almost unanimously agreed upon; we really just like to debate the degree to which they suck.

Let’s face it, we really just like to argue.

No, we really just like to win and many of us don't think Sark's gonna deliver.

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

That all our coaches suck is almost unanimously agreed upon; we really just like to debate the degree to which they suck.

Let’s face it, we really just like to argue.

This is true. If we had hired Saban or Meyers, within 15 seconds of the announcement being made, there would have been a Fire the coach thread started on this forum.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The difference between a win and a loss is actually immeasurable and infinite. So no, they are in fact entirely and extremely different. 


In the win and loss columns? Yes.

In the enjoyment factor? Definitely.

As far as declaring a coach’s development and management of a program as competent based on, say, whether a field goal goes wide or not? Not so much.

Maybe games like that sort themselves out over time, but everyone here has walked out of a win thinking “this team is fucked.” One doesn’t have to look far around here to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the “entirely and extremely different” wins against ISU and KSU.

I’d much rather see wins. That doesn’t mean a win indicates things are going well or that a loss means they aren’t. But, yes, wins are preferable.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

God dammit now I’m telling Zeus lol.

I actually am fairly confident against Baylor. I think Sark realizes he needs to commit to the run game even if it struggles early. 
None of that changes my overall opinion on Sark but I’m not particularly worried about Baylor and wasn’t particularly worried about Kansas. 

Let's just get creative fuck he's supposed to be the creativity king we can't run it up the gut every run. Going to have to involve Kelian or Brooks for that change of pace and use BR as a fuckin diversion at times - since he's what every player on D is worried about..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Herman has been much better sark or Charlie.   
 

I like the argument of “Tom had nfl qb talent”.  It’s not like those guys are killing it in the pros and Sam single-handedly lost us a few games as a freshman.  Also Taylor heinecke is an nfl qb.  Card, Quinn and Casey Thompson we’re all four stars or better

Plus Tom turtle doesn't even run an NFL offense that could utilize NFL talent. He runs a little league style QB do everything offense.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

You used the results of playing Kansas as an indicator of how good the head coach is.

The scores of the two games in question  were 50-48 and 49-49 at the end of regulation. In both cases, the team performed in such a way that the outcome was basically a coin flip. One worked out, the other didn’t. This seems fairly self-evident. 

You and I get this because we are both apparently aspy or on the verge of aspy motherfuckers while cognitive normals let emotions generated by wins and losses cloud clear logic and reason. You are never going to win on this board or in life with this, but I see you and respect the effort. 

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Herman has been much better sark or Charlie.   
 

I like the argument of “Tom had nfl qb talent”.  It’s not like those guys are killing it in the pros and Sam single-handedly lost us a few games as a freshman.  Also Taylor heinecke is an nfl qb.  Card, Quinn and Casey Thompson we’re all four stars or better

The amount of games Sam won for Herman should not do be understated. 3rd and 3 or shorter, everyone knew what was coming because our entire offense was so predictable, and they still couldn’t stop Sam. Card or Thompson wouldn’t be able to do that for Herman. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

 


In the win and loss columns? Yes.

In the enjoyment factor? Definitely.

As far as declaring a coach’s development and management of a program as competent based on, say, whether a field goal goes wide or not? Not so much.

Maybe games like that sort themselves out over time, but everyone here has walked out of a win thinking “this team is fucked.” One doesn’t have to look far around here to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the “entirely and extremely different” wins against ISU and KSU.

I’d much rather see wins. That doesn’t mean a win indicates things are going well or that a loss means they aren’t. But, yes, wins are preferable.

 

We are talking about Kansas, not ISU or KSU, and last year’s Kansas was particularly awful.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Levi said:

The amount of games Sam won for Herman should not do be understated. 3rd and 3 or shorter, everyone knew what was coming because our entire offense was so predictable, and they still couldn’t stop Sam. Card or Thompson wouldn’t be able to do that for Herman. 

I watched Casey Thompson thoroughly skull fuck Colorado after Sam struggled to dominate them. The ONLY personnel change was Thompson for Sam.  So while Sam had strengths that Card and Thompson didn’t have, it is likely and possible that they brought something else to the table that Sam didn’t.

 

regardless, Herman was rightfully fired.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are talking about Kansas, not ISU or KSU, and last year’s Kansas was particularly awful.
 

He was talking about wins and losses in the abstract, it seems to me. All the more so given the way he talked about people forgetting that close wins were almost losses.

And, if not, beating Kansas in OT or a last second field goal, or whatever, doesn’t inspire any more confidence in the program even if a field goal goes in rather than going wide right. A win is preferable, but a win isn’t necessarily a get out of jail free card.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:


He was talking about wins and losses in the abstract, it seems to me. All the more so given the way he talked about people forgetting that close wins were almost losses.

And, if not, beating Kansas in OT or a last second field goal, or whatever, doesn’t inspire any more confidence in the program even if a field goal goes in rather than going wide right. A win is preferable, but a win isn’t necessarily a get out of jail free card.

Nor was it a get out of jail card.

 

However, a LOSS to such a team often is a “you’re fired” card, especially a loss later in the coaching tenure (see, Strong, Charlie).

Edited by lilMAC25
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nor was it a get out of jail card.
 
However, a LOSS to such a team generally is a “get fired” card, especially a loss later in the coaching tenure.

That could well be the case. If it were going to be the case, though, I wouldn’t let a late game-winning FG or the like dissuade me from the firing.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I watched Casey Thompson thoroughly skull fuck Colorado after Sam struggled to dominate them. The ONLY personnel change was Thompson for Sam.  So while Sam had strengths that Card and Thompson didn’t have, it is likely and possible that they brought something else to the table that Sam didn’t.

 

regardless, Herman was rightfully fired.

You watched Sam on the sideline with bad shoulder in a sling for the second half, or did we watch a different game? He was already not fully healthy going into the game if I remember. And while Casey played a helluva game, that Colorado team was ass. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Nor was it a get out of jail card.

 

However, a LOSS to such a team often is a “you’re fired” card, especially a loss later in the coaching tenure (see, Strong, Charlie).

The amazing thing to me is that if Chuckles had beaten the team following the KU loss, TCU I think, there was a lot of buzz about him getting the fourth year. 

  • Rage+1 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Levi said:

You watched Sam on the sideline with bad shoulder in a sling for the second half, or did we watch a different game? He was already not fully healthy going into the game if I remember. And while Casey played a helluva game, that Colorado team was ass. 

I watched Sam struggle against the same ass Colorado that Casey lit up or did we actually watch different games?

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I watched Sam struggle against the same ass Colorado that Casey lit up or did we actually watch different games?

I guess you didn’t read the first part of what I said. But I guess 10-16, 160yrds and 1 td with a bad shoulder is struggling. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Levi said:

The amount of games Sam won for Herman should not do be understated. 3rd and 3 or shorter, everyone knew what was coming because our entire offense was so predictable, and they still couldn’t stop Sam. Card or Thompson wouldn’t be able to do that for Herman. 

And the degree of leadership and winnerness from the guy that touches the ball every snap was invaluable when the rest of the team is actual or budding headcases.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Levi said:

I guess you didn’t read the first part of what I said. But I guess 10-16, 160yrds and 1 td with a bad shoulder is struggling. 

Texas put up 17 in the first half.

 

Texas put up 38 in the 2nd half

 

Sam struggling was a misrememberance on my part.
 

Texas offense not being nearly as productive with Sam in as it was with Casey in was exactly as I thought I remembered it.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The amazing thing to me is that if Chuckles had beaten the team following the KU loss, TCU I think, there was a lot of buzz about him getting the fourth year. 
 

 

dad and I went to that game and cheered hard for TCU. We suspected it was a done deal but we didn’t want anything to get that train off the tracks. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sark teams are wildly inconsistent and sloppy on both sides of the ball, from game to game. That is either a sign of extreme player inexperience, or an inability by a coaching staff to really FOCUS and make sure the team has all its bases covered and is well-prepared. We see it over and over, just like at USC and Washington. For those who've already drawn the conclusion that Sark is the wrong guy, it seems to me that he just can't holistically manage the team in a focused way to make sure everyone knows their role and can execute it week to week. 

They out-talent opponents occasionally to offset the poor preparation and execution.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Sark teams are wildly inconsistent and sloppy on both sides of the ball, from game to game. That is either a sign of extreme player inexperience, or an inability by a coaching staff to really FOCUS and make sure the team has all its bases covered and is well-prepared. We see it over and over, just like at USC and Washington. For those who've already drawn the conclusion that Sark is the wrong guy, it seems to me that he just can't holistically manage the team in a focused way to make sure everyone knows their role and can execute it week to week. 

They out-talent opponents occasionally to offset the poor preparation and execution.

Yep. And now a false start on 4th and 2. His teams are sloppy and undisciplined and he’s bad at game management and adjustments. It’s how you consistently underperform compared to your talent level your whole career. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep. And now a false start on 4th and 2. His teams are sloppy and undisciplined and he’s bad at game management and adjustments. It’s how you consistently underperform compared to your talent level your whole career. 

Yep. For the folks who expect more than 7-8 wins as a consistent benchmark for Sark, that's on you. He might be able to hit a 10-2 season with some luck, huge talent advantage, and a soft schedule in the mutant Big 14, but he is who he is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...