San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling

Mitch Cumsteen

50 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Wtf?  Derozen wasn’t perfect and you could tell he was initially upset at getting traded , but the dude at least was a pro and showed up played hard and mentored the young guys.  He didn’t quit on his team  and ask for a trade.  

DD was a pro no doubt, but he delayed the tank by a couple of years.  I'd rather have a hundred DD's than one Harden, but I'd rather the Spurs embrace the tank and get good rather than this cycle of irrelevance. But then again, I've been a Spurs fan since they moved to SA so I am kind of spoiled. 

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Wtf?  Derozen wasn’t perfect and you could tell he was initially upset at getting traded , but the dude at least was a pro and showed up played hard and mentored the young guys.  He didn’t quit on his team  and ask for a trade.  

To clarify my comment the comparison between DeRozan and Simmons wasn't based on their attitudes. DeRozan was nothing but a good teammate and a true professional during his stay with the Spurs. I was simply referring to their play styles on the court and the absence of any kind of a three point shot. I didn't want to see the Spurs move on from someone who preferred to score in the paint and essentially replace him with another player who couldn't shoot to save his life.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good day boys. I love D White but he’s been overrated by Spurs fans and NBA nerds for awhile. Top end role player, not a cornerstone. He’s 27, he is what he is. A first for Young is a coup. Love it.

The rumored Jak almost trade weirds me out some but if we can keep him and DJ for awhile I like the future. We have three shots to find a fire shooting 2. Throw some front court depth in, let KJ keep developing at his natural 3 spot.

DJ, shooter, KJ, Collins (plus prospect), Turtle. That’s a playoff team easily.

We just have to find a creator at the 2. Easier said than done and I don’t follow college well enough to know if there’s anything there.

I think at some point we’ll have to let go of one of DJ, KJ or Jak because we can’t expect all of our creation to come from our theoretical shooting guard and that will suck. You can’t have a whole roster of scrappy off-ball guys. But I trust the front office to do it right.

6 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Good day boys. I love D White but he’s been overrated by Spurs fans and NBA nerds for awhile. Top end role player, not a cornerstone. He’s 27, he is what he is. A first for Young is a coup. Love it.

The rumored Jak almost trade weirds me out some but if we can keep him and DJ for awhile I like the future. We have three shots to find a fire shooting 2. Throw some front court depth in, let KJ keep developing at his natural 3 spot.

DJ, shooter, KJ, Collins (plus prospect), Turtle. That’s a playoff team easily.

We just have to find a creator at the 2. Easier said than done and I don’t follow college well enough to know if there’s anything there.

I think at some point we’ll have to let go of one of DJ, KJ or Jak because we can’t expect all of our creation to come from our theoretical shooting guard and that will suck. You can’t have a whole roster of scrappy off-ball guys. But I trust the front office to do it right.

I think the Spurs hope that the player you’re describing is already on the roster.

12 hours ago, Chad said:

To clarify my comment the comparison between DeRozan and Simmons wasn't based on their attitudes. DeRozan was nothing but a good teammate and a true professional during his stay with the Spurs. I was simply referring to their play styles on the court and the absence of any kind of a three point shot. I didn't want to see the Spurs move on from someone who preferred to score in the paint and essentially replace him with another player who couldn't shoot to save his life.

Man, as much as it didn't amount to winning, DeRozans moves in the paint were fun to watch. 

I'm starting to see some pieces that could shine through on better teams. Obviously DJ - but Primo has flashes of being a playoff-caliber 6th man or even a small hybrid guard in the starting lineup (he'd need to become close to an elite shooter).

I think Collins is also a really interesting piece. He seems to be tailored pretty well as a stretch 5 in the modern game. Not sure he's ever going to be a guy that could start for a good playoff team but I could see him being really good if he's your 8th or 9th dude. 

I'm getting more excited about the future. Especially with all of these picks we're stashing. 

(BTW - I think this is how fans of normal teams that don't win 5 titles in 15 seasons feel - they get excited then have their dreams crushed repeatedly. I'm game. Let's do it)

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

Dejounte and the young guys talking pretty heavy about making a playoff run once we start up again.................................. I'd rather not play ourselves out of the lottery. 

Can we find a way to de-motivate Dejounte for just a few weeks?

I think they could play themselves into the play-in, but doubt they get much farther.  

Yo.... young dudes.  Settle.  Or we'll bring this guy back.

• Mitch Cumsteen changed the title to San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling