US News College Rankings - ???

Harrison Bergeron

global ranking criteria:  https://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/articles/methodology

global rankings:https://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/search?country=united-states

National ranking criteria: https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/how-us-news-calculated-the-rankings

National rankings: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

Change the criteria, different rankings. Its arbitrary and fairly meaningless, imo. Its like comparing a 1980 econoline van (with shag carpeting and built in incense holders) with a Mclaren 720s for the title of best mode of transportation. If your criteria is "best  time from point A to point B", you choose the Mclaren. If your criteria is "ease of pulling off a MFFF fuckfest in said transportation", I'm rolling with the econoline. 

2 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Obviously we live in a clown world, but does anyone believe UAB (#147) is ranked higher than Rice (#167), Dartmouth (#247), and Notre Dame (#284)?

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/search?country=united-states

UAB is a surprisingly major medical research institution.  Rice is an amazing school, but a fairly small research presence, due to its small size.  This particular ranking is not aimed as much at undergraduate educational quality as the regular US News rankings, where Rice is #17 in the country and UAB is probably in the 200s.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

UW is a very good public school, relatively obscure, but a quality school.

relatively obscure?

Everyone in the PNW knows this is a great school and it's known as a Boeing job pipeline factory, among others. I guess you mean obscure to people in Texas?

Edited by DonkeyCigars

1 minute ago, DonkeyCigars said:

relatively obscure?

Everyone in the PNW knows this is a great school and it's known as a Boeing job pipeline factory, among others. I guess you mean obscure to people in Texas?

Nationally.  Overshadowed a bit by the Cal schools most likely.

I don't even know that's 'relatively obscure.'  Of the publics in the Pac-12 ("Not Stanford"), UW is comfortably the 3rd best public in that conference and that whole part of the country.  And it's not even close.  Arizona, Colorado, UC-SB, UC-SD, UC-Davis, UC-Irvine, and Oregon then fill out the rest of the that Top 10 in terms of best publics west of the Rockies (plus the Rockies and Great Plains and American Southwest).  But yeah, it's Berkeley, UCLA, and Washington on anybody's list that has any fucking clue.  No offense to the UNLV or Boise State fans on here.

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I don't even know that's 'relatively obscure.'  Of the publics in the Pac-12 ("Not Stanford"), UW is comfortably the 3rd best public in that conference and that whole part of the country.  And it's not even close.  Arizona, Colorado, UC-SB, UC-SD, UC-Davis, UC-Irvine, and Oregon then fill out the rest of the that Top 10 in terms of best publics west of the Rockies (plus the Rockies and Great Plains and American Southwest).  But yeah, it's Berkeley, UCLA, and Washington on anybody's list that has any fucking clue.  No offense to the UNLV or Boise State fans on here.

Exactly my point. 

30 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

UW is a very good public school, relatively obscure, but a quality school.

Just went 2 weeks ago to tour with my son.  I came away HIGHLY impressed.  Really good bio-engineering program, which he wants to pursue.  Also looking at UT, so obviously picking at low hanging fruit.

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

3rd best public school behind I assume Cal and UCLA and not Arizona State and Oregon State.   And the drop off between the top 3 public schools and everybody else in general, not related to things places like Oregon State (forestry), Wazzu (agriculture) and Arizona (MRS degrees) is pretty steep.

Yeah, you don't have to assume.  I explicitly said...For a huge chunk of the country, not just the Pac-12...it's UC-B, UC-LA, and UW...then a bunch of really great schools filling out the rest of the Top 10 in terms of publics.  OSU, WSU, and UA, are all fine and good, but they're nowhere in the league of those other 3 I mentioned.  

No one's questioning whether it's a good school.

Tucked up in a corner of the country no one gave a shit about until Microsoft, and overshadowed in the national consciousness by Cali schools, it's obscure.

Kind of like the goodness of UF and UGa are overshadowed by the general purpose stupidity of that region of the country.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

One thing I noticed about the linked list was that it was classified as top global universities and as opposed to their list of top national universities (which national list is ranked more as you would expect).

On a related subject and as i have been looking at schools with my daughter, I am curious what the thoughts are when comparing US News' list vs. Forbes' list vs. Wall Street Journal's list.  They all generally have schools she is looking at ranked in basically the same order relative to each other and more just curious how much these different lists are viewed in importance (if at all) from, I suppose, a later employment perspective.  As I have told her, I don't think it's worth getting too hung up if one school is ranked __ spots higher than another.

I think Georgia is finally starting to emerge from that shadow of proud incompetence.  Florida was, but sadly, is probably getting forced three steps back by some of their inherent shit-headed-ness that is not really their fault.  UT is gonna take another step backwards as well, whether y'all wanna be honest about it or not, between our state politics and joining the SEC which considers "research" to be passing drug tests.  But we'll help lift the profile but we're also going with one of the worst P5 schools academically in the nation with us.  Oklahoma will struggle to keep pace intellectually/research/grant-wise with Tennessee, Auburn, Mississippi State, and South Carolina while we're there. 

That's not gonna help.  At all.  It'll be Vanderbilt............Texas.................UG/UF.................A&M.................everybody else.  I know people still think that conference affiliations don't mean jackshit to the academic side of things.  But they don't understand that the Big 10 research model has stood for decades for a reason.  Pac-12 has a somewhat similar one.  These consortiums mean something to the faculty and leadership of those schools despite what on the field/court bullshit people choose to believe.  Our faculty is not happy about the proposed move FWIW.  But perhaps money can assuage that angst.  

7 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Obviously we live in a clown world, but does anyone believe UAB (#147) is ranked higher than Rice (#167), Dartmouth (#247), and Notre Dame (#284)?

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/search?country=united-states

This is different from the national rankings and is very research-centric. UAB includes UAB Hospital. Knowing that, yes, I believe it.

6 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

I had to reread that University of Washington multiple times to make sure it wasn't saying Wash U. I've never realized that was that good of a school.

It is a very good school, generally a peer of UT. That said, with this being a research focused ranking, it consistently ranks at or near the top of federal research funding.

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

I guess the US Air Force Academy is going to have to jump up and cut a bitch.

7 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I guess the US Air Force Academy is going to have to jump up and cut a bitch.

I dunno, I always consider the service academies in their own sphere since they’re not really state universities.  Especially the other two you never hear about-CGA and MMA.  

Even the ranking services admit it’s hard to reflect  their excellence because their admission process is completely different.  Alumni donations are a completely different animal at the academies because they actually pay the graduate early on. Graduation and retention is based on more than credit hours/grades.  And although there is incredible intellectual assets on each campus, the research metrics ranking services use is completely different model.  Academies don’t do the kinda academic research that a Cal or UCLA does for obvious reasons.  Finally, undergrad programs often benefit from the graduate program in that field at Publics.  Not the case at the academies, where post grad programs are run through the Pentagon for the most part.  

all that to say, I consider them a separate and vastly more elite group of schools.  National Ivies.  I’ve worked closely with West Point, Annapolis, and MMA grads over the years and they’re the most well rounded people intellectually I’ve ever met.  But yes, I’d take a USAFA grad over a UW grad if I’m hiring, any day of the week. 

22 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

No one's questioning whether it's a good school.

Tucked up in a corner of the country no one gave a shit about until Microsoft, and overshadowed in the national consciousness by Cali schools, it's obscure.

Kind of like the goodness of UF and UGa are overshadowed by the general purpose stupidity of that region of the country.

I don’t disagree with the point you’re making, but labeling a large well-respected public university like the University of Washington as “obscure” is a poor choice of words.