Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, Fud said:

As far as guys we’ve taken (outside of the transition class), I’ll go with Adeoye. I have another who I’m wondering if they missed on, but he’s 2019 and really popular, and it’s way too premature to throw him in

2 hours ago, Voluminous Banality said:

Isn't Adeoye projected to start this year?

Dele will only start if we play 3 LBs the whole year, which I doubt. He’ll probably play a lot in the first three games, but once we hit league play, we’ll move to the dime as a base, in part cuz of Dele and also in part because we’re just so stacked at safety that we need to get them on the field.

2 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Orlando mentioned Deles been faster and has the hips now needed to play ILB now so I hope it's not bullshit 

I’m pretty skeptical those comments will hold up if he tries to play Dele against Big 12 defenses, but we’ll see.

i also think Dele will get better (probably never great) as he gains experience and improves the mental aspect of his game, but he’s ultimately just not a great fit for the Big 12.

I’m pretty skeptical those comments will hold up if he tries to play Dele against Big 12 defenses, but we’ll see.
i also think Dele will get better (probably never great) as he gains experience and improves the mental aspect of his game, but he’s ultimately just not a great fit for the Big 12.

What are we expecting from Caleb Johnson this season?

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

@OnAComputer didn’t you say something on TFB about this commitment making an already strong position stronger? Are you saying he’ll be B-backer or do you consider ILB to be an already strong position?

B-backer. That’s what he projects to right now in my book, but perhaps the Longhorns could slip him into the rover. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by OnAComputer
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, elguapo said:

What are we expecting from Caleb Johnson this season?

Who knows. He was an EE but I don’t think he participated much because of his shoulder injury. It took Gary Johnson til about halfway through the season to be ready (or at least for TO to trust him) and we heard a lot more buzz about GJ than we have CJ to this point. Ideally, CJ could be ready to play next to Shark once we get into league play. 

itll also depend if our big dime package can hold up against the run. If it can, we won’t need any LBs besides Shark too much. If it struggles, then we’ll need one of Dele, CJ, Gbenda, or Tillman to be able to play a lot and not be a liability. 

37 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Who knows. He was an EE but I don’t think he participated much because of his shoulder injury. It took Gary Johnson til about halfway through the season to be ready (or at least for TO to trust him) and we heard a lot more buzz about GJ than we have CJ to this point. Ideally, CJ could be ready to play next to Shark once we get into league play. 

itll also depend if our big dime package can hold up against the run. If it can, we won’t need any LBs besides Shark too much. If it struggles, then we’ll need one of Dele, CJ, Gbenda, or Tillman to be able to play a lot and not be a liability. 

I think we intended for him to be dominantly OLB when we recruited him. With the combination of what happened to Gabe + nobody separating at ILB, I think we moved him over. We crosstrain our LBs for all positions anyway but most have a focus, which I think Caleb's shifted from OLB to ILB.

1 minute ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

I think we intended for him to be dominantly OLB when we recruited him. With the combination of what happened to Gabe + nobody separating at ILB, I think we moved him over. We crosstrain our LBs for all positions anyway but most have a focus, which I think Caleb's shifted from OLB to ILB.

No idea how you’re using the term ILB. Both Rover and Mac are ILBs, IMO. 

CJ was recruited as a Rover all the way, and that’s comparable to what he played at his JUCO. He was never going to be a B-backer. 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

No idea how you’re using the term ILB. Both Rover and Mac are ILBs, IMO. 

CJ was recruited as a Rover all the way, and that’s comparable to what he played at his JUCO. He was never going to be a B-backer. 

Sorry yes I meant Mac I guess, as that's where he was splitting reps early spring with Dele. He was recruited as rover though I do remember that, you're right. I don't have an overwhelming knowledge on our defensive scheme. Is he still working some reps at mac based on the last two practices or only at rover? 

Edited by Bam Bam Sam

30 minutes ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

Sorry yes I meant Mac I guess, as that's where he was splitting reps early spring with Dele. He was recruited as rover though I do remember that, you're right. I don't have an overwhelming knowledge on our defensive scheme. Is he still working some reps at mac based on the last two practices or only at rover? 

I think he’s taking reps at Mac just because Shark is entrenched as the starter at Rover and Mac is wide open. He fits the profile of mor eof a Rover: smaller, quicker, and a good blitzed. Overall though, Mac and Rover are fairly interchangeable.

TO claims he recruits everyone for Rover and the guys who can’t make it there move to Mac, but Guys like Dele and Juwan Mitchell tend to contradict that statement.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

I think he’s taking reps at Mac just because Shark is entrenched as the starter at Rover and Mac is wide open. He fits the profile of mor eof a Rover: smaller, quicker, and a good blitzed. Overall though, Mac and Rover are fairly interchangeable.

TO claims he recruits everyone for Rover and the guys who can’t make it there move to Mac, but Guys like Dele and Juwan Mitchell tend to contradict that statement.

Ah okay, I understand. Well, Dele looked good in the Spring Game on some of the reps he got, but I think that's because we were running vanilla offense combined with almost no pass game due to the wind. I hope this is the year he puts it together because we need an answer at Mac. TO seems confident in him recently.

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Concerns.  21 is loading up and filling fast. But also like 1.5 years away.  Going to be a challenging hanging tight for that long. Of course winning the big12 this year makes it easierb

Eh. As long as we start slowing down soon I don't think it's a worry. All these guys committing are really close to each other. It's the commits recruiting the recruits at this point more than our staff. It's hard to decommit from your school and your friends simultaneously.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone should be concerned at this point. We're not filing up on aggy bread and these guys all know each other. 4 out of the 7  2021 commits are physical freaks and takes any day of the week, twice on Sunday. 

This may be more of a long-term evolution in recruiting strategy since Strong's "please don't commit until Feb 5th" stuff. Herman has said the recruiting landscape has changed and they need to offer much earlier than before. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Concerns.  21 is loading up and filling fast. But also like 1.5 years away.  Going to be a challenging hanging tight for that long. Of course winning the big12 this year makes it easierb

Well you kinda want to build enough of a quorum to legally get the class under a Top 5 ranking.