Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Mike Roach: Are top recruits on Texas roster meeting expectations?

In 2018 and 2019, Texas signed back-to-back No. 3 classes, according to the 247Sports Composite team rankings.  Both of those classes were so loaded with talent that 10 players currently on the Texas roster fall within the Top 115 all-time Texas commits in the modern recruiting era. Many of those players are entering their junior seasons and assuming big roles for Texas during the most crucial period in Tom Herman's tenure as head coach.  Each of these players entered the program with major expectations from their careers as high school recruits.

So, how are they performing now that they are on campus?  Some are on track to meet expectations while others are under-performing where recruiting services ranked them prior to enrolling, though some outlooks are still unclear due to injuries, extenuating circumstances or inconsistency.   Join us as we take a look a the Top 10 recruits currently on the Texas roster from the 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes.

Junior safety Caden Sterns

Sterns exploded onto the scene as a true freshman with a special season that included 62 tackles, four interceptions and a blocked kick. His first year helped him earn Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year and first team All-Big 12 honors. Though Sterns took a step back in his sophomore season as he was nagged by injuries, he still accounted for 58 tackles and one sack. After rehabbing from injury, Sterns finished the year strong with eight tackles and one TFL against Utah in the Alamo Bowl. Sterns is working on rehabbing back to full health and should return strong for his junior season. With a bounce back year in 2020, he should be on track to be drafted, whether it be in the 2021 or 2022 NFL Draft.

Trending: On track to meet expectations

Junior safety BJ Foster

Similar to Sterns, Foster arrived with a bang his freshman year and accounted for 46 tackles, nine tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception. Much like Sterns, he was also plagued by injuries during his sophomore campaign, which led to a significant drop in production. Seeing action in nine games, Foster logged 34 tackles, 1.5 sacks and an interception. If Foster can return healthy and tap back into how he played during his freshman season, he is another prospect who could conceivably develop into an NFL prospect.

Redshirt freshman receiver Jordan Whittington

Whittington entered the season with a ton of hype following a big spring as an early enrollee and a position change to running back. But the hype would be short-lived after Whittington re-aggravated a high school groin injury during the first game of the 2019 season. Whittington missed the rest of the season after having surgery to repair the injury. He will make the move from running back to wide receiver this season after picking up a redshirt year, and should provide the Texas offense a consistent weapon, if he stays healthy. Whittington flashed several times during the spring, but his progress is still murky.

Trending: Unclear

Junior cornerback Jalen Green

Green enters his third year having played sparingly during his freshman season before moving into a starting role his sophomore year. Green missed a few games due to injury, but he still totaled 30 tackles, five PBUs and two TFL. Green experienced inconsistent play throughout his sophomore season mostly due to inexperience. The move to a press-coverage system in 2020 could help Green take the next step in his development, but so far, he hasn’t quite played up to his rating.

Trending: Not meeting expectations

Sophomore wide receiver Jake Smith

Smith had an up and down freshman season, but he was still able to show production with 274 yards on 25 receptions and six touchdowns. His touchdown total tied for fourth-most among FBS freshmen and was the second-most by a freshman in Texas history after Roy Williams’ eight in 2000. Smith started off strong but experienced some turnover issues as a punt returner. Still, he proved to be a scoring threat for Texas and should see an expanded role this season.

Junior linebacker DeMarvion Overshown

Overshown flashed multiple times during his first two years at Texas, but injuries have kept him from staying on the field consistently. As a freshman, Overshown saw special teams duties and logged one tackle. In his sophomore season, Overshown logged 18 tackles, seven TFL, two sacks, one forced fumble and one interception. Overshown will make the full-time move to linebacker this year and will have more opportunities to see the field and make plays.

Junior wide receiver Brennan Eagles

Eagles saw action in 11 games during his freshman year but only logged one reception for 35 yards. In his sophomore season, Eagles made a big jump with 522 yards on 32 receptions and six touchdowns. Eagles proved to be the biggest deep threat on the Texas team last season averaging 16.3 yards per catch. If he stays on pace, he could reach the Top 5 in career touchdowns in program history.

Junior cornerback Anthony Cook

Cook looked like he was headed for primetime following his freshman season, but he struggled with inconsistency as a sophomore and look disengaged at times. Cook’s sophomore season did end on a high-note as he tallied six tackles in the Alamo Bowl victory over Utah. The move to a press-coverage secondary and Cook’s move to the nickel could help to re-engage him and get his career back on track. Cook still has room to turn it around, but the next two years will be pivotal to reaching his expectations.

Redshirt sophomore wide receiver Joshua Moore

Moore showed some promising flashes during his freshman campaign that accounted for 53 yards and a touchdown in his first six games before suffering a season-ending injury. Moore went on to redshirt during his sophomore season due to legal trouble. Moore’s story is still largely unwritten, but this will be a pivotal season for him in his return to the field in Mike Yurcich's offense.

Redshirt sophomore wide receiver Al'Vonte Woodard

Woodard redshirted his freshman season and saw some trouble with injuries. Playing mainly in reserve duty in his second season on the Forty Acres, Woodard logged three catches for 28 yards. There is some opportunity at the wide receiver position this year, and Woodard could bring a dynamic, deep element to the field, if healthy. After going back and forth on this one, it seems there is still not enough information on Woodard to render a verdict.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Sheesh, way to slate the CBs for being inconsistent while playing, but just pulling a "who knows" about the WRs who couldn't get on the field. (Also thank God we have a new defensive staff).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He does seem to have actually built it by how much he likes the team - the top four on the edit are the real contenders, and the top-left is his perceived leader.

Harmon's recruitment will be the most interesting of the cycle for me.

Texas, aggy, and Oregon are pretty fucking different. Oregon is shelling out cash to keep kids on the west coast. Are they spending in Texas? aggy is fighting for something, anything, in-state (see Garza) and they have a good head start on everyone in terms of relationships. Except Valai had a pre-existing relationship with Harmon and his family. Will aggy try to spend? He and Stowers aren't close, but they certainly didn't drop a bag on Eli's porch. Delicate situation for aggy. Meanwhile, his buddy King commits to Texas. 7v7 teammate Coffey is reengaged and Texas is the runaway favorite, Texas is trending with teammate Ish, and teammate Mukuba probably has a top 2 of Texas and Clemson. 

aggy will need to pull him in with established relationships that supersede his relationships with friends and teammates, and Valai. Not impossible, but feels unlikely. Oregon will need to drop a bag and sell gtfo of Texas. Maybe personal life drives that? Ty Jordan all over again. And Texas needs to not shit the bed in 2020 and land at least 2 more of his friends to capitalize on his relationship with Valai and budding bond with Ash. 

We'll learn a lot about Valai and Ash, Oregon's interest in spending down here, and whether aggy is actually recruiting or just dropping bags. 

• Like 2

So what's up with the kid from Hallettsville....Brooks? 3-star with mediocre offers is close to committing to us. Why are we taking this commitment so early? OB is reporting that they think he commits within a few weeks.  Why not try to get a Wheaton/LJ combo?

Edited by Bruh Man
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

sincere question: is a player under-performing expectations more often attributable to the staff's development of the player or the recruiting service(s) whiffing on their eval?  

12 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

So what's up with the kid from Hallettsville....Brooks? 3-star with mediocre offers is close to committing to us. Why are we taking this commitment so early? OB is reporting that they think he commits within a few weeks.  Why not try to get a Wheaton/LJ combo?

We've been on Brooks for a long time and it's clear that the staff likes him a lot. He's always been the RB2 take.

It's unlikely that you would be able to stack LJ and Wheaton, and LJ will end up at LSU anyway. Brooks will be a take, they really like him. 

On 5/3/2020 at 7:08 PM, Beau Vine said:

Update: This one is even funnier: https://texags.com/football-recruiting/liucci-44/2018

Wow.

Preston- 4 catches in 2 years

Wright- 3 tackles in 2 years

Brown- leading the three Lucci 10 top guys at aggy with >1.5 tackles per game 

Not exactly the production you'd expect from top 10 guys.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

55 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Why not sign all the 5 stars while we’re at it? We aren’t currently Bama or Clemson man, and there’s always complications. LJ is like a 5% chance to Texas. That might be generous. 

(Eric Nahlin) Recruiting: Dodging the draft, staving off stagnation

Tom Herman finds himself in the unpleasant position of answering for draft ills that preceded him at Texas, as well as poor recent draft performance that he’s only in part to blame. Is that fair? Not really, but yeah, kind of. Here are two charts that serve as the Cliff’s.

image.png

image.png

The most recent draft was the first time Herman had draft eligible players he signed at Texas, but they were in his lowly rated transition class. It would be disingenuous to blame him for that class, and just as disingenuous to not credit him for signing perhaps the player with the most draft upside in the entire program in offensive lineman Sam Cosmi. Cosmi was originally committed to Herman at Houston. Had Herman played Cosmi as a true freshman instead of Derek Kerstetter, Cosmi probably would have been an early entrant. But Herman wisely played the long game with Cosmi.

Texas’ highly rated 2018 class will eventually answer the question can Herman evaluate and develop well enough to return Texas to the heights of college football and NFL draft boards? Those players from the ‘18 class are just now entering their third year in the program and won’t be eligible for the draft until next spring. There is a strong likelihood that class will yield early round NFL talent, but if Herman and his program is functioning optimally, it will produce some early entrants as well.

Any discussion on Herman’s specific draft issues shouldn’t center on recruiting, but rather development. That story isn’t quite as negative as you might expect, at least in my opinion. The 2015 class was largely a disappointment on the field until Herman arrived. In his first year he helped produce four early entrant draftees who were actually better college players than draft prospects. That’s a credit to Herman. Had these players returned for their senior years and received another year of development — and the case could be made they should have — their draft stock would have risen. This would have gone a long way toward combating the negative Texas draft narrative.

In late April, Texas had only three players drafted. It’s no coincidence this poor draft performance is on the heels of Texas’ disappointing 2019 season. Brandon Jones and Malcolm Roach, who wasn’t drafted, will likely be better pros than college players. Further compounding UT’s issues is the draft saw 36 native Texans get drafted, while UT produced only two from the state in wide receiver Devin Duvernay and safety Brandon Jones (Collin Johnson is from San Jose, CA). Perhaps the biggest storyline of the draft was the Texas Takeover. Herman needs to turn that into the Texas Takeover.

Again, other than the disappointing on-field product, these issues aren’t Herman’s fault. These are problems dating back to the previous two head coaches. These problems are Herman’s to fix, however.

Herman is set to have by far his best team on paper. He’ll have a senior quarterback who has been good to very good the last two seasons. He’ll have a future NFL offensive lineman protecting that quarterback’s blindside. He’ll have a talented stable of running backs and receivers with a league average offensive line at a minimum. The defensive line is deep and talented, with a high upside pass rusher. The scheme is favorable to linebackers and the defensive backfield is littered with talent. Herman himself named three — Caden Sterns, Jalen Green, and D’shawn Jamison — as having 1st round upside.

Along with the increasing baseline talent level, Herman will also have proven coordinators. With the coronavirus pandemic throwing every school off schedule, programs missing the traditional spring practice block hurts UT more than it does programs with more stability, but that issue is self-inflicted. It stems from Herman making poor initial hires. I doubt we’ll hear any excuses out of Baton Rouge after Ed Orgeron experienced an even more drastic overhaul.

The 2020 season is huge for Herman’s tenure. Recruits who once gave him the benefit of the doubt need to see success this season.

#####

Winning fixes everything, but on the recruiting trail getting players drafted goes a long ways toward signing players who make winning easier. Recruits are paying attention to their draft prospects as much as program success. Of course there is a close relationship between winning programs and players drafted. Unless you’re TCU. This upcoming season provides Herman the opportunity to prove the egg, that is the talented 2018 class, comes first. It precedes the winner winner chicken dinner that is a successful season. The sales pitch can work the other way, that is you can win with lesser players and increase the quality of recruits over time, but that ship has sailed in Austin.

The opposite of the new car smell, the phenomena that aided Herman’s first class, is stagnation. If Texas underperforms for the third time in four years, at a time when roster talent is the best it has been in a long time, you will see stagnation. We’re already seeing slight hints of it, though the coaches are battling to combat it.

The virus is leading recruits toward a different decision calculus. They are more likely to lock up a spot early while still wanting to take visits. Those in-season visits will present great opportunity for Texas. To take advantage, Herman needs to impress in the win column. To do that, he’ll have had to already develop a team full of guys biding their time until the NFL comes calling.

Then he’ll have to put them in position to succeed. This upcoming season is full of questions.

11 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

I thought Malcolm Williams was the one who left over a girl.  All I remember about Mike was that he flunked out.  But, IIRC, he had 4.0 in HS so I always thought it was odd that he failed out.  Your story is probably correct.  That really sucks.  That guy and Pick would’ve been SICK!

That was Dan Buckner. She posted on shaggy

Spiegleman on Texas/Louisiana prospects

A couple weeks ago, we caught up with Rivals.com recruiting analyst Sam Spiegelman to get his thoughts on the Longhorns’ top offensive targets in the states of Texas and Louisiana. This week, we checked back in to get his thoughts on where things stand with defensive prospects Texas is recruiting.

DL Shemar Turner – “I think he's someone who was really tremendously impacted by this COVID situation. He grabbed some really marquee offers right after his junior year. Obviously that was way more productive season for him. He was able to make it to Alabama but I know he wanted to get to LSU, Georgia and Ohio State. Obviously those plans all have to be delayed a little bit. But everything's looking brighter for visits coming up this fall. But I think as it stands, Texas is still the leader in the clubhouse, but it is a little premature to lock him into any classes before he can make it to some of those other schools. Especially like LSU and Georgia and Alabama, which are pretty light on commitments at this point the year.”

DL Byron Turner – “I think Texas will have a shot with him. I think he's quietly had like a top group of Florida and Mississippi State. I know he had interest in Oklahoma and A&M because they also offered earlier in the spring. He hasn't been able to take any visits. The only places he's been to that he likes are Mississippi State and Florida. He's not an LSU kind of guy. So I think he's got a pretty open mind. Having said that, he is familiar with Florida and Mississippi State. But I think like a visit to Texas could definitely open the door for them.”

LB Clayton Smith – “He’s getting ready for his top six (on Friday). Based on talking to him, I feel like Texas is in a really good spot. I don't think he's ready to make a decision anytime soon. But he definitely was very complimentary of Oscar Giles and just how long Texas has been after him. I mean, it's been a year and a half or so already. I think they're going to be in a dog fight with Florida State, whenever he can get to visit there, Oklahoma and LSU. But for right now, I like where Texas stands. And I think they have kind of have an edge because of how long they've been recruiting him and how well.

LB Terrence Cooks – “I think I think he has a chance of maybe being one Texas’s next commitments. I think he had a couple of good visits to Austin. They recruit Shadow Creek obviously really well with Xavion Alford already in class and on campus- not technically. I think he's getting a lot of a lot of attention from the early Texas commits. And I think he kind of likes what they're building and those junior day visits kind of reinforced that for him. So I think that he could pop pretty decently quick too.”

LB Andrew Jones – “He's only been to Florida State so far on a real visit. But in the midst of this pandemic, more coaches have seen his tape and sent him offers. I think he's really intrigued by some of the new offers like Georgia and like Texas. So I think he's really keen on making a lot of those visits because he hasn't really had a real recruiting experience so far. I think he's intrigued definitely by Texas and I’m pretty confident they're going to get not only a visit, but probably an official.”

CB Sage Ryan – “Sage is in the same family as Trevor and Kevin Faulk. And he's coached by his uncle Trevor. I think he's a pretty strong LSU lean. But he has kept an eye open. I know that he recently visited Alabama and had plans to get to Clemson. So I think a visit could definitely be in the cards. He's always expressed interest in going to schools like Texas and checking them out. But I think that Texas has been hurt by this pandemic where they can't get him on campus right now, and he could get inch closer and closer toward a decision. But I think his plan is to make a decision in San Antonio next January.”

CB Hunter Washington – “Hunter, right now I think Florida State has a lot of momentum. I think he's a kid very likely to leave the state. I think Florida State, LSU, Oklahoma, Ole Miss have all got him on campus in the past year. He's always had a big eye on Auburn, Virginia Tech and Ohio State. He did visit (Texas). I don't think Texas is out of it per se. But I think they're trailing right now.”

CB Ishmael Ibraheem – “I do think they're surging with Ish. He's a guy that Texas is kind of benefiting from the pandemic because Ish is high on a lot of teams’ DB boards across the country. I know he was supposed to visit LSU right before the pandemic. But I know he was able to get to Austin. I think that him and his relationship with JD Coffey looms large here and Texas is one of their shared schools that they both like. The earlier visits this year I think loom large, and I think the new DB coach at Texas is doing a really good job with those kids.”

CB Deuce Harmon – “So this is an interesting one. My early thoughts on Deuce was that it he was going to end up at A&M. He's been able to visit and I still kind of think that A&M is a team to beat but, you know, a year and change ago he expressed a really high-level of interest in Texas. He has a really impressive offer sheet now, but I'm not sure that he's going to be able to make a decision without really giving thought to the Longhorns. I don't know if the offer came too late or that could be excused because there's new a new coaching staff in place, but something tells me that Texas is going to have an opportunity with Deuce before he makes up his mind.”

S JD Coffey – “Yeah, I think if he had to make a decision today, it's Texas. I know that he ventured out west to visit Oregon and Washington and he's been to Baylor and met the new staff, and he's familiar with a lot of those guys because of their ties at LSU. He was supposed to be at LSU with Ishmael Ibraheem in March. But we've been able to connect Coffey to Texas since last fall. I thought it might have been a done deal by now, and I think Texas is obviously the private leader in the clubhouse. And while he's looking at mid-fall decision, it wouldn't be surprising to see him commit before that.

S Andrew Mukuba – “I know that Texas has been recruiting him way before he even had an offer from them and he’s visited there a bunch, even before he had that offer. He was always there. I think the offer was just a matter of time. He's someone, honestly, I would say the pandemic kind of works in Texas’s favor to a degree. I know that he wanted to go visit Clemson and I know he had plans to go to LSU and all the new offers that definitely piqued his interest, and he's going to explore them as much as humanly possible. But among the only schools that I know have hosted him are Texas and Oklahoma, and you could probably make a convincing case to either one of those schools for him to land at down the road. But I don't think he's anywhere close to a decision before he can at least visit a few more like Clemson and LSU.”

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Malcolm vanished from the face of the earth.

remember that game he had against tech when he was a RS freshman?  size, speed, athleticism... looked like a 1st rounder.  did he vanish, though?  I thought he stuck around but just never panned out. 

Love to hear that we lead as of now with Turner and Smith.  Curious to know where Burris is thinking right now.  He's been penciled in with aggy for a while but with them taking DL kids OOS, does he look elsewhere? Any shot that he could come to Austin with Turner?

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Love to hear that we lead as of now with Turner and Smith.  Curious to know where Burris is thinking right now.  He's been penciled in with aggy for a while but with them taking DL kids OOS, does he look elsewhere? Any shot that he could come to Austin with Turner?

OBs wouldn't be the place to find out. Such is still saying that Texas pulling Burris without Jackson is "very very unlikely". Because package deals, amirite?

aggy is the perceived leader for Burris, but I don't think there is any significant margin over anyone. I get the sense that Burris ends up leaving both at the alter, be it for swamp aggy, bama, or a yet to be determined dark horse like cougar high.

If we land and keep our targets, I'd be perfectly happy without him. Sanders, Thomas, Turner, Smith, and Harris would be the best haul in....awhile. I like Turner more than Burris anyway. If we're going to take a real DT, give me Coburn or Ojomo. Burris isn't that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

OBs wouldn't be the place to find out. Such is still saying that Texas pulling Burris without Jackson is "very very unlikely". Because package deals, amirite?

aggy is the perceived leader for Burris, but I don't think there is any significant margin over anyone. I get the sense that Burris ends up leaving both at the alter, be it for swamp aggy, bama, or a yet to be determined dark horse like cougar high.

If we land and keep our targets, I'd be perfectly happy without him. Sanders, Thomas, Turner, Smith, and Harris would be the best haul in....awhile. I like Turner more than Burris anyway. If we're going to take a real DT, give me Coburn or Ojomo. Burris isn't that. 

Is Turner projected to be a DT like TQ or is he gonna bulk up to play NT like Coburn or Sweat?

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yeah, I think Burris is pretty overrated right now. I don’t see him making enough of an impact on film, especially at the 4A level on a loaded defense with a 5 star DE who gets more attention, to justify a top 100 ranking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Andrew Jones could quietly a really big recruit for us, especially if he can avoid the radar of LSU/Bama

What's crazy is Texas has a puncher's chance of sweeping the defensive board remaining of Turner, Ish, Coffey, Cooks, Harmon, Mukaba, and Smith.

Leaving 2-3 ships left for Burris, Jones, and a few others.

32 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, I think Burris is pretty overrated right now. I don’t see him making enough of an impact on film, especially at the 4A level on a loaded defense with a 5 star DE who gets more attention, to justify a top 100 ranking. 

I think Burris is a bit overrated as well ( would still take him ) and Turner is still underrated.  Turner looks like a top 150 prospect.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Andrew Jones could quietly a really big recruit for us, especially if he can avoid the radar of LSU/Bama

Cooks + 1 of Blackwell or Jones would be great.  IDK if they'd try to take all 3 or not.  I still think Williams is flippable and can get him in for a game.

2 hours ago, futureman said:

remember that game he had against tech when he was a RS freshman?  size, speed, athleticism... looked like a 1st rounder.  did he vanish, though?  I thought he stuck around but just never panned out. 

Yeah, I remember.  That dude was an athletic freak.  If the catch was easy, he’d drop it.  If it required a circus maneuver though, he’d make it every time.

That game against Tech was eye opening though.  He proceeded to blow past the defender, then he slowed down because Colt under threw the pass so badly which allowed the coverage to catch up to him.  He catches the ball almost at a complete stop and then takes off leaving the defender in the dust.  The acceleration he showed there was insane.

Remember when he fucked up the UTEP punter? He probably could’ve been an All American at safety too.  I remember in the all star game watching him obliterate people.  He and Mike Williams were the biggest disappointments we had imo.  Followed closely by Daje and DJ Monroe.  I feel like these guys go to an SEC diploma mill and every single one finds a way into the first round.

16 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is still expected to be a full class?  We are at what, 13-14 spots now?  Cosmi and a couple others will probably declare and we'll have the normal attrition.  

Texas is at 86 right now.

12 seniors + Cosmi, Ossai, Ingram, Eagles, 1-2 of the 2018 DB class. Some could declare with big seasons. Texas also has 5 former WOs currently on scholarship.

29 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Cooks + 1 of Blackwell or Jones would be great.  IDK if they'd try to take all 3 or not.  I still think Williams is flippable and can get him in for a game.

Cooks + Jones + Williams would be an ideal spread slowing ILB group. Cooks seems like a heavy lean, while Jones/Williams seem more like 33% chance types. 

29 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is still expected to be a full class?  We are at what, 13-14 spots now?  Cosmi and a couple others will probably declare and we'll have the normal attrition.  

Barron and Black just ate up two class counters, but it mostly depends on if Texas is landing elite prospects late; if they are, I think Herman can push this to a 26 or 27 signee class, and if not, then it might be somewhere around 23-25, while saving spots for 2022 or transfers. 

41 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

Barron and Black just ate up two class counters, but it mostly depends on if Texas is landing elite prospects late; if they are, I think Herman can push this to a 26 or 27 signee class, and if not, then it might be somewhere around 23-25, while saving spots for 2022 or transfers. 

It’s hard to say with everything going on right now, but the real limit will be the 85 man roster. We only have 11 or 12 guys finishing their eligibility (I believe J. Thompson redshirted last year, Black may get a med RS, and I can’t remember if Mitchell has one or two years left), plus I would guess around 5 guys leaving early. I think we have about 5 walk ons on scholarship, but hopefully Luke Brockermeyer will be keeping his. So we can free up about 20-22 spots that way, but to get to a big class, we’ll need either a ton more guys to declare early or we’ll have to push out a lot of dead weight in a manner the staff hasn’t been willing to do to this point. There are quite a few candidates like  Epps, Leitao, Boyce, Adeoye, Carson, maybe one of the 2018 OL, like Ghirmai or Moore. But it’ll be a challenge to get to 25 in the 2021 class.

Best case scenario is we kill it on the field this year leading to more early entrants than expected, which leads to more spots for elite recruits who want in following our success. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s hard to say with everything going on right now, but the real limit will be the 85 man roster. We only have 11 or 12 guys finishing their eligibility (I believe J. Thompson redshirted last year, Black may get a med RS, and I can’t remember if Mitchell has one or two years left), plus I would guess around 5 guys leaving early. I think we have about 5 walk ons on scholarship, but hopefully Luke Brockermeyer will be keeping his. So we can free up about 20-22 spots that way, but to get to a big class, we’ll need either a ton more guys to declare early or we’ll have to push out a lot of dead weight in a manner the staff hasn’t been willing to do to this point. There are quite a few candidates like  Epps, Leitao, Boyce, Adeoye, Carson, maybe one of the 2018 OL, like Ghirmai or Moore. But it’ll be a challenge to get to 25 in the 2021 class.

Best case scenario is we kill it on the field this year leading to more early entrants than expected, which leads to more spots for elite recruits who want in following our success. 

Basically, if Herman wants to make room late for say, Landon Jackson and JoJo Earle but already has 25 in the class, he can do it like SEC coaches do it

We haven’t seen him do it yet, but the option is there 

As far as needing early draft entrants goes, it seems like if Texas has a good enough season to land elite guys late, then they’ll likely have some guys leaving early 

If the season is disappointing, they might not need the room anyway because recruiting won’t be as easy