Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The first step is admitting you've got a problem.  Tom just fired 6 coaches and handed over his offense to the anti-Beck.  I feel like at the very least Herman recognized that his original hand-picked staff was a poor mix of incompetence and bravado. 

As much as I’d love to believe that Herman took the initiative to fire all of his incompetent staff, I think CDC had a big hand in that

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The first step is admitting you've got a problem.  Tom just fired 6 coaches and handed over his offense to the anti-Beck.  I feel like at the very least Herman recognized that his original hand-picked staff was a poor mix of incompetence and bravado. 

12 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

As much as I’d love to believe that Herman took the initiative to fire all of his incompetent staff, I think CDC had a big hand in that

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

charlie i don’t think anyone ever felt like he was a great evaluator.

Eh, I distinctly remember the posts with the spreadsheet of how many of Charlie's recruits from Louisville made it to the NFL while comparing the rating of the commitment we had just picked up. In retrospect, no, he was not a great evaluator, but in the moment, a lot of people in this community were buying what he was selling.

Otherwise, spot-on.

28 minutes ago, gordogg24p said:

Eh, I distinctly remember the posts with the spreadsheet of how many of Charlie's recruits from Louisville made it to the NFL while comparing the rating of the commitment we had just picked up. In retrospect, no, he was not a great evaluator, but in the moment, a lot of people in this community were buying what he was selling.

Otherwise, spot-on.

I wasn't on shaggy or surly at the time, but a lot of people hated the hire.

1 hour ago, gordogg24p said:

Otherwise, spot-on.

Louisville was taking kids that P5 schools passed on, for whatever reason. If he could keep them on the team, they were going to perform well. It was Urban's Florida Lite. He wasn't recruiting, they just embraced the role of fall-back school and made it work. 

1 hour ago, gordogg24p said:

Otherwise, spot-on.

Charlie was a solid to good evaluator, but he mailed in recruiting for most of the year and landed an appallingly poor number of the top in state guys.  So his evaluations were of the 3 star sleeper variety.  Fine to fill out a class with, but should not be Plan A.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Louisville was taking kids that P5 schools passed on, for whatever reason. If he could keep them on the team, they were going to perform well. It was Urban's Florida Lite. He wasn't recruiting, they just embraced the role of fall-back school and made it work. 

And then rode Teddy Bridgewater's ability to elevate the other offensive players.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

stephen king hope GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Strong had a coaching problem far more than he had a recruiting problem. His classes had the raw talent to win in the Big12, and he barely even competed.

There’s a difference between recruiting and evaluation. Strong was a good recruiter when he decided to do it 2-3 days a month. Do that well, that will get you talent. Evaluation is an entirely different line of business. 

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Roderick Daniels, the WR from Duncanville who had 100% crystal balls to SMU, is now getting a run to Baylor.  Maybe we'll see a similar scenario with Byrd down the line.

Not to go full aggy, but how hard are we even recruiting Byrd? His whole situation is strange, a top OT recruit that only played defense his junior year. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have him in the class and he obviously has a high upside just seems like a really weird situation

Just now, RGBIII said:

Not to go full aggy, but how hard are we even recruiting Byrd? His whole situation is strange, a top OT recruit that only played defense his junior year. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have him in the class and he obviously has a high upside just seems like a really weird situation

Hard. He’s moved on from us. Samples ftw.

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29ab6c31e986be55f6b5

Strong had a coaching problem far more than he had a recruiting problem. His classes had the raw talent to win in the Big12, and he barely even competed.

Every year there are a bunch of four stars that flame out, for a variety of reasons: attitude, work ethic, bad friends, dumb as a box of rocks, etc. Strong never put in the effort to distinguish the good four stars from the bad. His classes performed way worse than their rankings.

6 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Jalen could be special.  

Sorry, but I wasn’t all that impressed with that tape.  He didn’t seem very accurate, but ultimately I don’t think it matters because I see Card being a 3-year starter (at QB, not WR). 

9 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Every year there are a bunch of four stars that flame out, for a variety of reasons: attitude, work ethic, bad friends, dumb as a box of rocks, etc. Strong never put in the effort to distinguish the good four stars from the bad. His classes performed way worse than their rankings.

He may have been a poor evaluator of four stars but he was definitely a crappy coach.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I wasn't on shaggy or surly at the time, but a lot of people hated the hire.

Our final realistic final three were Art Briles, Jim Mora and Strong. Of that list most people were happy with the hire. Some of us wanted Briles because we did not know of his pro-rape platform at the time. But he refused to be interviewed and wanted to be offered the job without an interview. I recall most people on Shaggy being totally fine with the hire. 

His coordinator selection was an entirely different story. 

16 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Our final realistic final three were Art Briles, Jim Mora and Strong. Of that list most people were happy with the hire. Some of us wanted Briles because we did not know of his pro-rape platform at the time. But he refused to be interviewed and wanted to be offered the job without an interview. I recall most people on Shaggy being totally fine with the hire. 

His coordinator selection was an entirely different story. 

Everyone sells themselves hope if they capably can during a coaching change, otherwise what is the point of being a fan if you can’t even try to see the potential for a hire’s upside? Unless it’s just patently obvious you’ve hired a failure before you begin. An example of this in today’s climate would be like hiring, say, Fat Fucking Retard Brett Bielema to replace Herman if he got fired. Or Chris Ash to head coach. Otherwise, why wouldn’t anyone try to at least rationalize a hire? Unless you’re Satya.

I was hopeful with strong. At the time, he’d been on the list of “why hasn’t this guy been offered a major HC spot” for literally 5+ years. He had the resume. He had accolades as a coordinator. He had recent sizzle wins over superior programs. Of course I was hopeful. The problem is, that hope became intermingled with a fuck ton of skepticism the second he hired his staff and the shenanigans with wickline and Watson. And that played out exactly as expected. 

honestly, it was similar with the Herman hire. Except Orlando seemed like a good hire, and Drayton seemed like a great hire. The rest was trash. So again, hope mingled with a healthy dose of skepticism. And so far, it’s played out as expected except Orlando also fucking sucked and drayton, at best, is a mixed bag. At worst he also fucking sucks. But that doesn’t mean im not tying to still talk myself into believing that this thing could work out. 

• Like 1

Various boosters might have thought they had the ability to make something happen and approached various coaches, but the only coaches in the end who were options were Shaw, Franklin, and Strong, and Shaw was never going to leave Stanford

I liked Strong at first, although as some people started digging into his resume more closely, I started to like him less. And then he hired his coaching staff. And then he coached games. 

37 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I recall most people on Shaggy being totally fine with the hire. 

I’m going to disagree here. There were at least an equal number of posters who felt dirty about the idea before the downfall. Besides, his teams seemed to always choke during big games. I was never a fan. I also don’t think his personality was a fit for a big time pressure position.

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’m going to disagree here. There were at least an equal number of posters who felt dirty about the idea before the downfall. Besides, his teams seemed to always choke during big games. I was never a fan. I also don’t think his personality was a fit for a big time pressure position.

Yeah. Ditto me as someone else who was always anti Briles. Of course, some of us knew extensive stories about Briles being one of the most vile pieces of shit alive dating all the way back to his time at Hamlin and said as much here. But there’s always a select amount of posters willing to ignore the obvious unless it comes cited with sources and parenthetical documentation.

A few comments on this commitment. The 9.95'rs were all over this one, weren't they? Also, I'm wondering whether this is a clear example of the staff starting to prioritize speed over size as they saw Baylor do really well with that formula. Mack did the same thing starting in the early 2000's. Finally, Herman indicated he was going to quit being so enamored with stars and trust his evaluations more in the future. This would be another example of that because of his size? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Baylor mod Watkins: "The only positive is if this take UT off of a Terrence Cooks or Clayton Smith a bit... we will see.

This is a loss for sure."

I wouldn't hold your breath, bud.

I’m not sure what’s funnier, that they think UT is going to stop recruiting a top 75 player who projects to a different position in college than Blackwell, because of Blackwell. Or the fact that they think Baylor has a shot to beat out Texas, OU, LSU or Oregon for Smith. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Fud said:

I liked Strong at first, although as some people started digging into his resume more closely, I started to like him less. And then he hired his coaching staff. And then he coached games. 

I liked the hire until I saw his first press conference...then the ND loss happened, then the UCLA coin flip happened, then the Kansas game happened.  Of course there were some great Coach-Surfing moments in between which gave me hope, but his success at USF shows his true ability.  

• Like 3

Just now, EZ$ said:

I liked the hire until I saw his first press conference...then the ND loss happened, then the UCLA coin flip happened, then the Kansas game happened.  Of course there were some great Coach-Surfing moments in between which gave me hope, but his success at USF shows his true ability.  

If you go back and try and figure out Strong's ten worst losses, you realize just how shitty an era that was. 

• Like 2