Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Mike at night

—With Zach Evans making it official that he's headed to TCU today, I think it's time to re-visit some of the public and private parts of his recruiting. I talked at length about the Evans recruitment in my 2020 Behind the Scenes article, but it didn't end there. I was told that after Evans was released from his letter at Georgia he reached out to several schools to gauge interest. Texas was one of those schools, but I don't believe there was much interest from the Texas side. Even going back to last summer, I'm told there was a split in the Texas offices about pursuing Evans. The talent was a lot to consider, but so was the baggage. Texas was in a place where they felt good about Bijan Robinson and didn't want to ruin their chances. When the opportunity came this spring to re-visit Evans, I was told Texas was happy with what they had and didn't want to risk upsetting hat chemistry. We didn't report it at the time because there wasn't much to it and we didn't want to heat up the Evans hysteria, but I wanted to mention it now that he's made the call.

—I talked to a source last week about 2022 Denison RB Jadarian Price. Price is in no rush to make a commitment, but I'm told he's starting to focus on a few different programs. Texas, TCU and Baylor seem to be the schools mentioned most for the four-star back. Texas will likely take two backs in the 2022 class depending on how the 2021 class plays out and Price could factor in there. Jaydon Blueappears to be the top target for Texas, but Price was the first offer in the class, and he's been to Texas more than any other school.

—It sounds like Katy DB Hunter Washington is closing in on a decision. Florida State is the unanimous pick on the 247Sports Crystal Ball and I expect he will end up there. Texas liked Washington early, but it seems like both sides drifted apart during the process and went their own way. I think the Texas staff has their eyes on other prospects at the position right now.

—I spoke with sources near four-star Royse City wide receiver Ketron Jackson last week. Texas is working him hard, and I think they'd have him already had they not offered late. Jackson was evaluated several times by Drew Mehringer, but he never pulled the trigger on an offer. Andre Coleman offered Jackson a couple of months ago, and so far they've been building a strong relationship. I was told that Texas is the school Jackson grew up wanting to play for, but the later offer is hurting them a bit right now. That said, I expect they will hang around in the race regardless and the longer this plays out the better it will be for Texas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Masturbating to the thought of never having to land a Texas high school player ever again

Hide contents

EXxf76eXsAAe_N3?format=jpg&name=360x360EXxf80-WAAYii09?format=png&name=360x360EXxf9v3XgAIg6nt?format=jpg&name=360x360EXxf_MyWoAA5LZF?format=jpg&name=360x360

I don't really follow aggy recruiting, but there's no FUCKING way that they have a shot at Tony Grimes, is there? I'm assuming that's just their usual delusion?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I don't really follow aggy recruiting, but there's no FUCKING way that they have a shot at Tony Grimes, is there? I'm assuming that's just their usual delusion?

He was actually pretty high on them for quite awhile. I think it cooled a bit when their coach left, but a little more than their usual illusion.  Doesn’t make sense to me. 

13 minutes ago, tokamak said:

He spent a couple of weeks, IIRC (not a typo - 2 weeks) split between two trips, in Lit station. On one of them, the family tagged along.  So there has been interest in the past.

18 minutes ago, tokamak said:

didn’t he spend his spring break last year in college station?  anybody who comes in from out of state and spends their spring break on campus is going to that school 100%.  it’s a done deal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, futureman said:

didn’t he spend his spring break last year in college station?  anybody who comes in from out of state and spends their spring break on campus is going to that school 100%.  it’s a done deal. 

That recruitment had one positive at least 

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I see the commitment of the Katy TE is already paying dividends with his 4 star 2022 defensive team mates. Hunter Washington not going to aggy.

Hunter Washington is in the same class as the TE, 2021. 

12 hours ago, RGBIII said:

—I spoke with sources near four-star Royse City wide receiver Ketron Jackson last week. Texas is working him hard, and I think they'd have him already had they not offered late. Jackson was evaluated several times by Drew Mehringer, but he never pulled the trigger on an offer. Andre Coleman offered Jackson a couple of months ago, and so far they've been building a strong relationship. I was told that Texas is the school Jackson grew up wanting to play for, but the later offer is hurting them a bit right now. That said, I expect they will hang around in the race regardless and the longer this plays out the better it will be for Texas.

This one actually seems a bit promising.

12 hours ago, futureman said:

Especially if his mom is a flight attendant. Game over.  

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Rivals 250 is out.  Not much change.  James Brockermeyer is now #247  in the nation.  Harris got dropped 68 spots.

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals250/2021

-Foster and Wheaton about TBrock is laughable

-Bowman dropped from 32 to 34

-Jatavion Sanders dropped from 42 to 45 FUCKING LOL

-Milroe dropped from 75 to 78

-Harris dropped 68 spots...LOL

-No Jordon Thomas or any other commits listed

Every other texas target besides Ketron Jackson dropped 2-10 spots...Rivals is such a joke

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Every other texas target besides Ketron Jackson dropped 2-10 spots...Rivals is such a joke

Yeah but go check out the aggie thread for at least a silver lining...

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Their ratings stayed the same. Rivals just moved a couple guys ahead of them. Honestly, it doesn’t seem like they updated much at all. Most of their ratings are based on their camps, which obviously aren’t taking place.

Fucking Rivals. lulz. Even when they have nothing to do, they’re still too lazy to watch players’ film. 

• Like 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Their ratings stayed the same. Rivals just moved a couple guys ahead of them. Honestly, it doesn’t seem like they updated much at all. Most of their ratings are based on their camps, which obviously aren’t taking place.

Fucking Rivals. lulz. Even when they have nothing to do, they’re still too lazy to watch players’ film. 

WATCH.THE.FILM.

20 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I don't understand the mindset. Texas is my dream school, but they offered me a month later than I wanted them to, so I will not play for my dream school.

Just how it goes these days. So many variables at play (including reporting).

This one almost seems like it'd be an easy turn, but I could be speaking out of my ass.

Edited by UncleBuck

23 minutes ago, Bigpoppapump said:

Can't find Stowers?

He wasn’t in it before the update. Jimbo taking Stowers still kills me. Stowers is a great athlete, and he could be good at a place like Auburn, but his throwing motion is ugly as fuck and he’ll never be an accurate passer, so he’s a terrible fit for aggy. Jimbo’s going through this right now with Mond, and I guess he likes having a shitty offense so much that he wants to sign up for 4 more years of it. 

Crazy that Jimbo’s 4 recruiting classes in, and he’s still yet to recruit a single accurate passer to fit his old fashioned pocket passing offense. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Mike Roach: Texas among schools in heavy contact with Shemar Turner

Shemar Turner has been busy during the quarantine. The four-star defensive lineman from DeSoto has been active despite school being closed. Turner told Horns247 that he’s still getting his workouts in every day. “It’s going good,” Turner said. “I got to the track every other day with my trainer to get work in.” Turner is also staying in contact with the schools recruiting him during that time. Five schools stick out as programs he’s heard from most during the recruiting dead period.

“Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida and LSU are the schools I’ve heard from the most,” he said. Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles is keeping in regular contact with Turner and he said he’s that Texas is pitching their need to him. “It’s pretty much the same thing,” he said. “They’re trying to build a national championship defense, and I am a key part to that. They need edge rushers.”

Early in the spring, Turner visited Texas with recent commit Jordon Thomas. The two hit it off on the visit, but contact dropped off following that trip. “Right after we visited, we were in contact, but I haven’t spoken to him recently,” Turner said. Turner wanted to take his visits during the summer before making a pre-season decision. He said that if visits are pushed back it is likely his decisions will be as well. “Before the season starts if everything opens up by then,” he said. “If I can’t take my visits, I’ll push it back.”

At 6-foot-3.5, 260 pounds, Turner is ranked as the No. 15 strong-side defensive end in the nation and No. 32 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Like 1

Mike Roach: Four-star DL Kelvin Gilliam recaps Texas virtual visit

The Texas staff recently started hosting virtual visits. One of the prospects they hosted last week was Kelvin Gilliam. The four-star defensive end from Highland Springs (VA) spoke to Horns247 about how the visit resonated with him. “It was great,” Gilliam said. “The visit was very informative.” What all does a virtual visit entail? Gilliam said that even though he wasn’t able to make an in-person visit, he still was able to learn about multiple facets of the Texas program.

“They covered the things to do in Austin and the academics piece,” he said. “It also covered the strength and conditioning part.” The virtual visit utilizes video and pictures to show off key facilities and parts of the city for recruits and their families. Gilliam said he was able to learn about school and city activities, and he enjoyed the conversation with the Texas staff.

“They used both,” he said. “I learned about the university, and things to do outside of the university. I learned about the things to do there and had a special look at Austin itself, and the part that stood out was the conversation with coach Herman and the defensive staff.” The Texas staff has been increasing their pressure on Gilliam over the past few weeks. Gilliam said he feels the interest from Texas each time they talk. “They seemed very interested in me and what I can do for them in their defense,” he said.

At 6-foot-3, 250 pounds, Gilliam is ranked as the No. 5 weak-side defensive end in the nation and No. 4 overall prospect in Virginia, according to 247Sports Composite.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

'21 WR recruiting semi-news - Carrington started following this kid. Ole Miss commit, originally from Missouri City, TX: https://247sports.com/Player/Adonai-Mitchell-46085140/

Watched him when he was in Texas, great hands and speed.  A oddity is that he reclassified as a 2021 after finishing his senior season in TN and will take off school from June to December to workout and focus on getting prepared for college and join his college team in January.

• Like 2