Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Just to add on to the laughter of Rivals rankings, Foster, Jackson, and Conner got the invited to the Rivals 5* challenge at the Houston camp.  Foster and Jackson get huge bumps, but Conner gets dropped out of the 250.

Are you talking about the one from last summer? Foster looked awesome at that camp. Was the only OL to stop Bresee, and he did it as an underclassman 

He doesn’t look great on the hudls though

I think Conner put in a ton of work after than, and I think he looks better on hudl than Foster, and I really like him at guard  

• Like 2

from TFB Super K

Keep an eye out tomorrow for some good news. Still awaiting final confirmation but it looks like Texas could be getting a little surprise commitment from out of state prospect.

Probably not one you’re very familiar with but still a talented player.

• Like 6

Mike Roach: A look at the top signees for each team on 2020 Texas schedule

College football is changing. Freshmen are making early impacts more often than ever and becoming huge factors. For instance, on last year's LSU team, true freshman Derek Stingley was arguably one of the best players on the roster. Year after year, Texas fans get a look at some of the top upcoming talents in college football on the other side of the field. With that in mind, we culled through the classes of each school on the Texas schedule to find each top-rated prospect and investigate how they might be able to make an impact on the field.

South Florida – Katravis Marsh, QB, Hialeah (Fla.) Miami Central

Ranking: No. 939 overall, No. 35 pro-style quarterback, No. 121 in Florida

Marsh was a big win for new USF head coach Jeff Scott when he took the job. The three-star south-Florida passer chose the Bulls over Utah, Tennessee, Tulane, Syracuse and Arkansas. Though he will have a chance to develop into a long-term player, USF is young at the quarterback position. Jordan Mccloud is the projected starter while former North Carolina passer Cade Fortin is transferring in to compete. It’s unlikely the Longhorns will see Marsh this season.

LSU – Arik Gilbert, TE, Marietta (GA)

Ranking: No. 5 overall, No. 1 tight end, No. 1 in Georgia

Gilbert was one of the best overall players in the country last season and was recognized as the Gatorade National Football Player of the Year. A five-star prospect, Gilbert chose LSU in a surprise move over a heavily-favored Georgia program. Gilbert should see the field from day one as the former All-American Bowl participant will likely be in the mix to start for the defending national champions from week one. LSU lost Thadeus Moss and Stephen Sullivan, and the only veteran of record on the roster is Jamal Pettigrew.

UTEP – Willie Eldridge, RB, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Ranch

Ranking: No. 87 running back, No. 203 in Texas

Eldridge was a big win for UTEP last cycle as the Miners secured his commitment over Texas Tech, Army, BYU and Utah. As a senior, Eldridge produced 960 yards and 12 touchdowns rushing with an extra 242 yards and one touchdown receiving. UTEP is incredibly deep at the running back position, so it’s unlikely Eldridge has a huge role on the field when the Miners visit Austin.

Kansas State – Kirmari Gainous, DE, Hutchinson (KS) Hutchinson Community College

Ranking: No. 43 overall JUCO player, No. 4 JUCO DE, No. 10 in Florida

Gainous was one of the top junior college prospects in the country, and he will be expected to make an immediate contribution for the Wildcats. Kansas State returns some veteran personnel at the position, but the Big 12 demands player rotation and versatility up front, so Gainous will likely be a player Texas will need to game plan for this fall. Gainous has great size and strength off the edge.

Oklahoma – Nate Anderson, OL, Frisco (Texas) Reedy

Ranking: No. 89 overall, No. 1 offensive guard, No. 12 in Texas

Anderson took evaluators by surprise last year when he showed up at spring camps and flashed impressive athleticism and quickness. The former tight end converted nicely to a high-ceiling offensive lineman with 4.2 shuttle ability. He will likely need some time to grow into his frame and add the weight needed to play at the collegiate level. Oklahoma is fairly stacked at the guard position, and Anderson will have the time he requires to develop into a multi-year starter.

West Virginia – David Vincent-Okloli, CB, Potomac (MD) The Bullis School

Ranking: No. 274 overall, No. 18 cornerback, No. 13 in Maryland

Despite his lofty ranking, Vincent-Okoli flew largely under the radar and picked the Mountaineers over offers from Cincinnati, UCONN, East Carolina, Kentucky and Maryland. West Virginia currently has 11 rostered cornerbacks, but Vincent-Okloli has the talent to make a push for early playing time.

Texas Tech – Loic Fouonji, WR, Midland (Texas) Lee

Ranking: No. 289 overall, No. 46 wide receiver, No. 43 in Texas

Texas fans will remember the name as they were defeated by the Red Raiders last season for the services of the tall west Texan. Fouonji was always an intriguing athlete, but he took his game to the next level as a senior cashing in 73 catches for 1,471 yards and 22 touchdowns in a monstrous campaign. Tech still has a wide array of receivers on the roster, but Fouonji has the big-play ability to contribute right away.

Baylor – James Sylvester, DE, Newton (Texas)

Ranking: No. 312 overall, No. 16 DE, No. 45 in Texas

A former TCU commit, Sylvester flipped to Baylor near the end of the year. Sylvester will need to grow into his frame, but he could push for rotational playing time in his first year on campus. Sylvester enrolled early and would have likely made headway if not for the pandemic. Still, Sylvester’s talent could get him on the field by the time Texas faces the Bears.

Kansas – JaCobee Bryant, CB, Evergreen (AL) Hillcrest

Ranking: No. 562 overall, No. 40 cornerback, No. 26 in Alabama

Bryant chose the Jayhawks over offers from Houston, Georgia Tech, Memphis, Kentucky, Nebraska, Ole Miss and Tennessee. Kansas is short on corners and at 6-feet, 170 pounds, Bryant has the size and opportunity to force his way onto the field early in the year. On signing day, Les Miles praised his cornerback class, and he will need all of them to fill holes in the secondary.

TCU – Zachary Evans, RB, Galena Park (Texas) North Shore

Ranking: No. 16 overall, No. 2 running back, No. 1 in Texas

Evans was a late addition to the TCU class when he enrolled earlier this week. Talent has never been the issue for the five-star Houston runner, and if he can stay on the field he should be able to make an impact for the Horned Frogs. The depth chart is wide open, and Evans will likely find himself on the field quickly. By the end of the year, we’ll know if Evans is on the right track or not.

Iowa State – Hunter Dekkers, QB, Hawarden (IA) West Sioux

Ranking: No. 287 overall, No. 12 dual-threat QB, No. 2 in Texas

Dekkers may be the future for the Cyclones, but it’s unlikely he will be called upon this year. Brock Purdy is entrenched as the starter in Ames, and more experienced players are behind him. An Elite 11 finalist, Dekkers chose Iowa State over offers from Purdue, Kansas State and Indiana. If he’s on the field by the time Texas hosts them, it could mean bad things for Iowa State.

Oklahoma State – Shane Illingworth, QB, Norco (Calif.)

Ranking: No. 163 overall, No. 6 pro-style QB, No. 18 in California

Illingworth was a big pick up for the Cowboys when they won the west coast passer over offers from Louisville, Arizona State, Arkansas, Colorado and Washington State. Despite his lofty ranking, Spencer Sanders established himself as the trigger man for the Pokes last season. Like Iowa State, if Illingworth is playing at the end of the season, things have likely gone wrong for Mike Gundy and company.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

from TFB Super K

Keep an eye out tomorrow for some good news. Still awaiting final confirmation but it looks like Texas could be getting a little surprise commitment from out of state prospect.

Probably not one you’re very familiar with but still a talented player.

Oh shit, that's fun. One of the Cali DBs floating around maybe? Alexis sounded like a take-your-time kind of dude.

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: A look at the top signees for each team on 2020 Texas schedule

This was a fun #quarantinecontent idea and I genuinely enjoyed reading about some of the guys the smaller schools are stoked about. I'm pleasantly surprised by Roach for once.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Oh shit, that's fun. One of the Cali DBs floating around maybe? Alexis sounded like a take-your-time kind of dude.

I’m thinking it’s Casey Cain. He announced he’s committing tomorrow and we are definitely his top offer

3 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Casey-Cain-46082635/

Somebody on 247 says this kid is committing somewhere tomorrow

Ahahahaha I keep forgetting who on here knows their Louisiana WRs, but they're not stoked about this dude at all.

Cain and Brooks on the same day OU is getting Smith and Williams is some WalMart Great Value shit.

Edited by texifornia

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ahahahaha I keep forgetting who on here knows their Louisiana WRs, but they're not stoked about this dude at all.

Cain and Brooks on the same day OU is getting Smith and Williams is some WalMart Great Value shit.

Cain just took his virtual visit last week

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Maybe if we melt down hard enough in the commit threads they'll become all-world.  It worked for Cosmi.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This would be our staff's proverbial ovaries on the table come get a load of our scouting aptitude day. Hopefully they don't suck

This would be our staff's proverbial ovaries on the table come get a load of our scouting aptitude day. Hopefully they don't suck

From what I’ve heard the staff has decided to trust their evaluations more, and worry less about recruiting rankings. They feel burned by some character issues in the last few cycles and would rather have slightly lower ranked players with fewer character issues. We’ll see how this works out.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

From what I’ve heard the staff has decided to trust their evaluations more, and worry less about recruiting rankings. They feel burned by some character issues in the last few cycles and would rather have slightly lower ranked players with fewer character issues. We’ll see how this works out.

Eh hope that's not true. Most of the good receivers are divas

On 4/25/2020 at 9:30 AM, Fud said:

Don't see it with Cain. Doesn't create easy separation for the level and doesn't appear to be big enough to make up for it, and on top of that he's not a hands catcher. Maybe there's some game tape out there where he's faster that I'm not seeing 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9723218/5df7db077bdcb314f4e49dcd

Sooo.... find that tape over the course of the past 3 weeks?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Casey-Cain-46082635/

Somebody on 247 says this kid is committing somewhere tomorrow. His feed at the bottom of the page seems to confirm it

Ready to take the commitment of a Louisiana WR with only us, Vanderbilt, and Virginia as P5 offers... but not willing to even offer JJ Henry or Sturdivant? Not hating on the kid but I don't get it.

12 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The way this worked out for Mack Brown was going 5-7 while starting guys like Britt Mitchell, Greg Smith, Tre Newton, and Blake Gideon.

That's a bad take. Mack didn't work out because he didn't even care about evaluating. He would take whoever the fuck wanted to commit at JR days. 

5 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

So anyone who's been watching Cain's videos, is he a good take?

Look up-page.

Also Roach just CB'd him to Texas. So it's probably happening. (Although remember with TFB's last super-secret surprise, Roach was sure it was Black, and it turned out to be Barron)

source.gif

Edited by texifornia

Here's Roach's earlier review of Cain's film:

Film: Cain has a strong frame with good length and room to add weight. He shows good aerial ability and body control when tracking passes, and he shows good hands. Cain shows the ability to move the chains and push defenses vertically. Cain is still raw athletically, but he shows natural receiving ability that can be built on.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-The-Roundup-offers-top-schools-commitments-Tarik-Black-Andrew-Jones-Landen-King-Hal-Presley-146688781/#146688781_3

35 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That's a bad take. Mack didn't work out because he didn't even care about evaluating. He would take whoever the fuck wanted to commit at JR days. 

No, he pretty much nailed it. Mack soured on character risks and shrunk his talent pool to choose from all on his own 

WR recruiting is a baffling, head-scratching exercise in fuckstickery this cycle. Neither of those dudes moved the needle for me, but I guess give me the Cali kid. 

im all for Herman trusting his evaluations, but there’s a balance. Having 10-12 three stars going in the first round of the draft, or whatever the number was, is hardly license for Herman to trust only his evaluations 100% the time and take nothing else into account. The arrogant motherfucker can do that when 1-2 of those 3 star picks are HIS First rounders. Herman is a good evaluator, but at the same time this also feels like a situation where the dude will happily prance back into his own echo chamber and think he’s the smartest guy in the room on every prospect. I hope he strikes a healthy balance and picks his spots. But I have a robust level of skepticism on all these 3 star WRs when I doubt he’s seen most of them in person or camp at this point due to virus circumstances. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4

I don't know what to think about WR recruiting.  This is going to be a strange cycle, ranking services are bumping up and down players they haven't seen in camps for almost a year if not ever.  Maybe Coleman being at KSU for a bit has an eye for promising under the radar players?