Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

9 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Roach interview with Smith

Clayton Smith is down to six.

The four-star outside linebacker from Texarkana (Texas) High is ready to narrow down his field as he closes in on deciding what schools he will officially visit. Texas made the cut along with LSU, Oklahoma, Oregon, Florida State and Kentucky.

The Longhorns have been making Smith a priority since Chris Ash took over, and Smith is feeling the love.“I love Texas,” he said. “It’s the fan favorite. I’ve talked with coach Giles, coach Herman and coach Ash on several occasions. They’ve let it be known I’m the number one guy on the board. I just love them.”

Chris Ash has been a big factor in this recruitment with several ties to Smith and his family, but Smith said his relationship with Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles really cements his interest. The staff is pitching Smith on being a hybrid pass rusher, and he said Giles gave him a clear vision for his fit on and off the field at Texas.

I love the way coach Giles broke it down to me with the role that I would play in their defense. To him it’s more than just football. You can tell he’s meaning business. He doesn’t just want me to come and just be an athlete at the University of Texas. He wants me to come, play at UT, go to the league and come back with a story to tell for the other people that were supposed to go to Texas. The way he broke it down to me, he has a vision. He made that really clear.”

Smith wants to take his visits before making his decision public at the All-American Bowl. He will have to cut one school off this list to fit all of his visits in, and he knows of four schools that will definitely get visits as of now.

“I want to take all of them, but I haven’t really decided which ones I’m going to take. I know Oregon, LSU, Texas and Oklahoma will get visits right now,” he said.

At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, Smith is ranked as the No. 8 outside linebacker in the nation and No. 16 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

If these recruitments end up panning out, the Giles redemption arc this offseason will be pretty impressive

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

If these recruitments end up panning out, the Giles redemption arc this offseason will be pretty impressive

Yeah. Even I will have zero to complain about. After last season and the way this offseason is shaping up, zero to gripe about. That lazy chicken wing pounding fucker. 

Before one of you dingbats asks ... 

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Who's next? A look at five commit candidates

Spoiler

Who's next? A look at five commit candidates

MikeRoach

Texas continued its hot streak this weekend with a commitment from three-star Arlington Martin outside linebacker Morice Blackwell.

Who’s next for the Longhorns? Horns247 takes a look at five commit candidates.

JD Coffey, S, Kennedale: I recently put in a pick for Coffey to land at Texas after speaking with sources near the Kennedale native. Coffey recently released a top six with Texas right in the mix, and I’m told a decision could come sooner than most think for the four-star prospect. Oregon and Washington will provide tough competition, but I think Texas is trending in a strong direction here.

Andrew Mukuba, S, Austin LBJ: Mukuba maintains a wide-open recruitment, and we’ve been told no decision has been made. That said, I’m told Texas is doing a great job behind the scenes with him. Chris Ash has been staying in regular contact and showing Mukuba the love he wanted to see from the Longhorns all along. Nobody seems to have any idea when he might commit, but right now, I like the odds for Texas.

Camar Wheaton, RB, Garland Lakeview Centennial: Wheaton is a mystery when it comes to his timeline, but I was told by a source recently he’s starting to inform coaching staffs behind the scenes that he won’t be attending their school. As of today, he has not informed Texas, and the Longhorns are high on his list. Wheaton is a bit more projection, but I think Texas sits in as good a spot as any right now. Oklahoma is emerging as the toughest competition.

Terrence Cooks, LB, Alvin Shadow Creek: It’s hard to say when Cooks might choose to shut down his recruitment, but Texas seems to be the school generating the most noise at the moment. Cooks is striking up a strong relationship with the Texas commits, and Coleman Hutzler is doing a great job with his parents.

Jonathon Brooks, RB, Hallettsville: Brooks rarely talks and nobody around him knows what his timeline might be, but we’ve heard he could be closing in on a decision. If he does, Texas would likely be the pick for the three-star running back. The Longhorns were the first program to offer Brooks and have been recruiting him hard since that time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hide contents

MikeRoach

Texas continued its hot streak this weekend with a commitment from three-star Arlington Martin outside linebacker Morice Blackwell.

JD Coffey, S, Kennedale: I recently put in a pick for Coffey to land at Texas after speaking with sources near the Kennedale native. Coffey recently released a top six with Texas right in the mix, and I’m told a decision could come sooner than most think for the four-star prospect. Oregon and Washington will provide tough competition, but I think Texas is trending in a strong direction here.

Andrew Mukuba, S, Austin LBJ: Mukuba maintains a wide-open recruitment, and we’ve been told no decision has been made. That said, I’m told Texas is doing a great job behind the scenes with him. Chris Ash has been staying in regular contact and showing Mukuba the love he wanted to see from the Longhorns all along. Nobody seems to have any idea when he might commit, but right now, I like the odds for Texas.

Camar Wheaton, RB, Garland Lakeview Centennial: Wheaton is a mystery when it comes to his timeline, but I was told by a source recently he’s starting to inform coaching staffs behind the scenes that he won’t be attending their school. As of today, he has not informed Texas, and the Longhorns are high on his list. Wheaton is a bit more projection, but I think Texas sits in as good a spot as any right now. Oklahoma is emerging as the toughest competition.

Terrence Cooks, LB, Alvin Shadow Creek: It’s hard to say when Cooks might choose to shut down his recruitment, but Texas seems to be the school generating the most noise at the moment. Cooks is striking up a strong relationship with the Texas commits, and Coleman Hutzler is doing a great job with his parents.

Jonathon Brooks, RB, Hallettsville: Brooks rarely talks and nobody around him knows what his timeline might be, but we’ve heard he could be closing in on a decision. If he does, Texas would likely be the pick for the three-star running back. The Longhorns were the first program to offer Brooks and have been recruiting him hard since that time.

I see Roach is pumping his content numbers by literally copying/pasting the article he put up after Thomas committed last week

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Roach interview with Smith

Clayton Smith is down to six.

The four-star outside linebacker from Texarkana (Texas) High is ready to narrow down his field as he closes in on deciding what schools he will officially visit. Texas made the cut along with LSU, Oklahoma, Oregon, Florida State and Kentucky.

The Longhorns have been making Smith a priority since Chris Ash took over, and Smith is feeling the love.“I love Texas,” he said. “It’s the fan favorite. I’ve talked with coach Giles, coach Herman and coach Ash on several occasions. They’ve let it be known I’m the number one guy on the board. I just love them.”

Chris Ash has been a big factor in this recruitment with several ties to Smith and his family, but Smith said his relationship with Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles really cements his interest. The staff is pitching Smith on being a hybrid pass rusher, and he said Giles gave him a clear vision for his fit on and off the field at Texas.

I love the way coach Giles broke it down to me with the role that I would play in their defense. To him it’s more than just football. You can tell he’s meaning business. He doesn’t just want me to come and just be an athlete at the University of Texas. He wants me to come, play at UT, go to the league and come back with a story to tell for the other people that were supposed to go to Texas. The way he broke it down to me, he has a vision. He made that really clear.”

Smith wants to take his visits before making his decision public at the All-American Bowl. He will have to cut one school off this list to fit all of his visits in, and he knows of four schools that will definitely get visits as of now.

“I want to take all of them, but I haven’t really decided which ones I’m going to take. I know Oregon, LSU, Texas and Oklahoma will get visits right now,” he said.

At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, Smith is ranked as the No. 8 outside linebacker in the nation and No. 16 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

I believe it was mentioned earlier in the thread that Smith's brother played with Valai and for Ash at Wisconsin.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fud said:

I liked Strong at first, although as some people started digging into his resume more closely, I started to like him less. And then he hired his coaching staff. And then he coached games. 

cdt and Maybe a Coordinator still think Charlie can get it done if he gets the right chance.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

I see Roach is pumping his content numbers by literally copying/pasting the article he put up after Thomas committed last week

What's worse is those asinine "articles" about our ranking, after every commit ... make me murder hornet ragey.  Borderline preying mantis ragey.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Reveal hidden contents

MikeRoach

You're supposed to let us ask! What do you have against the push to 1000?

17 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Is he even a take for us right now?

Doubt it.  We are done at TE and he doesn't seem to fit what we are looking for at DE.  Seems like a guy that'll continue to drop in the rankings and end up a 3* and the aggy boards go on a rampage about it.

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Even if true it’s a worthless concept. If he sticks to his timeline and takes 5 visits then anything can change at any time. 

Yep ... worse than a silent commit.  It's a mute commit ... which makes it a moot point.

So Sam Spiegelman changed his Rivals pick on Smith today from Texas to LSU.  Hadn't heard much on them being involved in this recruitment, but who knows.  They already have Landon and another kid that looks like he'll play the same position.

https://247sports.com/player/zavier-carter-46041911/

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

12 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So Sam Spiegelman changed his Rivals pick on Smith today from Texas to LSU.  Hadn't heard much on them being involved in this recruitment, but who knows.  They already have Landon and another kid that looks like he'll play the same position.

Always thought they were the biggest threat for him

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Here's the quotes:

On LSU: "LSU is one that’s it’s going to come down to in the end. They’ve got a top-tier program. I’ve been in good contact with Coach (Bill) Johnson and look forward to talking with (new defensive coordinator) Bo Pelini and hopefully get on a visit when all this is over."

On Oklahoma: "Oklahoma is another one that’s gonna come down to the wire. I’ve talked with Coach (Lincoln) Riley on several occasions and he’s made it clear that I’m one of their top priorities. Coach (Jamar) Cain and I are also in close contact and they’ve been on me for almost a year now, so they're obviously one of the favorites."

On Texas: "I love Texas. They came into this process early and they’ve been consistent the entire way. Coach (Oscar) Giles is one of the funniest people you could ever meet. And I look forward to getting back down to Austin."

Spiegelman is just trying to get ahead with a WAG. Smith hasn't even talked to Pellini. I think we can back off the ledge a bit. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

From the TCU board ... on Zach Evans.  ("Very, very good shape.  Monumental in TCU recruiting history.  Very, very soon.")

Very, very understated.

TCU 247 / Jeremy Clark / What I know about a certain 5-star RB

Spoiler

What I know about a certain 5-star RB

Jeremy Clark

Sorry, been away from the board today with the wife and fam but I have seen the posts about Zach Evans. Here's what I can tell you boys...

I was first told about TCU's interest a month ago and that Zach was listening. TCU has done a great job of recruiting Zach and he and Coach P have a great relationship. There have also been other coaches on the staff with a big role in recruiting him as well. From what I was told a month ago, there was a definite mutual interest from both. As I am asked in some big occasions, I was asked to keep a lid on it.

That was until last night when there started to be some smoke.

As of today, all I can say is TCU is still in very, very good shape. I'm talking about the kind of shape that could be monumental in TCU recruiting history. I'm not trying to get anyone overly excited about it, I'm just trying to give you guys some bits here and there that I know.

We could be hearing something very, very soon. Again, that's all I know for now, and please don't take this as Evans is headed to TCU. I will keep you guys in the loop as much as I can...just trust that I'm on top of it and have been since the beginning.

Cross posting this from @Getafix This will actually be a pretty big jump when Rivals updates.  Currently #84 in-state, but the lowest 5.7 ranking is #59 in-state.  Add this with the eventual 247 bump he'll get and he'll be a composite 4* soon.  BOMC!

Blackwell was ranked as a 5.5 by Rivals but it looks like they recently changed that to a 5.7. I updated it on the back end.