Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

55 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

By the way, did Tennessee up their bagman game?

When UTjr hires a new coach, their bagmen usually go all out after the first year (see 2015 with Butch Jones). Then once it's clear he's a fraud, support falls off until the next hire.

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Thing is I don't think Liucci is terrible at evaluations.

Evaluations?????!  You think Liucci evaluates??!!?!

justin timberlake what GIF

Liucci takes other rankings, then moves aggy leans up and UT leans down.  That's the extent of his "evaluations."

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Evaluations?????!  You think Liucci evaluates??!!?!

justin timberlake what GIF

Liucci takes other rankings, then moves aggy leans up and UT leans down.  That's the extent of his "evaluations."

Curious to see what its gonna look like when we get a ton of the top instate guys. And the ones we dont get go OOS

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Easy.  Stowers will be #1 in the Looch rankings.

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

He’s already around 5-7th in his rankings. A total joke. 

Psssh. Clearly you didn’t hear liucci’s latest claim that Stowers, a composite top 150 player, is the most underrated recruit in the country. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

Amazing with all the talent aggy has gotten according to Liucci for the last 25 years they have gone over 20 years without playing for a conference title and without back to back winning seasons in conference games.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 7

Does any other fanbase have the level of fanboys selling sunshine to the extent that Texags does?  My exposure to recruiting pages has been fairly regional. But I have not seen anything that comes close to Texags as far as P5 state schools pumping sunshine and being unabashed program cheerleaders as William Liucci and company.

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Sanders is the top pass rusher in the state and a 5* for a reason.  Harris and assuming we get Clayton Smith are legit pass rushers as well.  I think Thomas is more a SDE, with potential to slide inside as is Turner.  Jackson is a beast and no doubt we all would take him, but I said a while back it's probably pretty unlikely we'd get all of Sanders, Jackson, Thomas, Harris, and Smith.

Why not? We're talking about 2 slide inside candidates, a real DE and 2 jack linebackers. We've haven't recruited pass rushers in years. That's barely backfill.

Some posts regarding Mukuba from Clemson recruiting writer Annal Hickey. Keep in mind Dabo doesn't let recruits commit until they visit 

"There is a name at safety that Clemson might be in significantly better position for than is currently general perception. Will address it on Monday morning."

"Checking on this, but I noted yesterday that Clemson is in better position for a specific DB than general sentiment stands."

"I mentioned on the board over the weekend that Clemson was better positioned than perceived for a particular safety.

That safety I was referencing is four-star Andrew Mukuba of Austin (Texas) LBJ. 

Have been told that Clemson might stand alone out front here. 

Mukuba (6-0, 187) has never visited Clemson, so that's probably the next step. 

Personality and skill set, he fits the mold of a player whom Brent Venables likes to coach up. Best projects as a safety but could play nickel and corner too. 

Tom Herman's uncertain future in Austin isn't doing the Longhorns any favors here. 

Also, LSU insider Billy Embody entered a Clemson pick on the 247Sports Crystal Ball on Sunday. 

What Mukuba told Clemson247 in March upon nabbing an offer from the Tigers:

"Coach Venables tells me he likes me as a DB, I can play anywhere in the secondary-- cornerback, safety, nickel," Mukuba said. "I'm a DB that can play anywhere and can cover any type of wide receiver or tight end. I can come down and make plays too." 

He's a versatile playmaker, so someone like Mukuba would allow Clemson some flexibility in who else it pursues in the secondary. Might venture to presume that three total defensive backs this haul is more likely than four."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Does any other fanbase have the level of fanboys selling sunshine to the extent that Texags does?  My exposure to recruiting pages has been fairly regional. But I have not seen anything that comes close to Texags as far as P5 state schools pumping sunshine and being unabashed program cheerleaders as William Liucci and company.

nope, because generally other sites are associated with conglomerates that most of the time don't let folks say wild shit year after year after year after year after year. also because most fanbases will not pay for sunshine to be pumped for 20 years in a row without 

in this case, i assume because of the financial relationship between Texas A&M and TexAgs, it has allowed TexAgs to stay independent of any group. or no group will have them. or both.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

nope, because generally other sites are associated with conglomerates that most of the time don't let folks say wild shit year after year after year after year after year. also because most fanbases will not pay for sunshine to be pumped for 20 years in a row without 

in this case, i assume because of the financial relationship between Texas A&M and TexAgs, it has allowed TexAgs to stay independent of any group. or no group will have them. or both.

The Athletic was happy to have them, and showed themselves to be whores as much as anyone else in the process. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fud said:

Some posts regarding Mukuba from Clemson recruiting writer Annal Hickey. Keep in mind Dabo doesn't let recruits commit until they visit 

"There is a name at safety that Clemson might be in significantly better position for than is currently general perception. Will address it on Monday morning."

"Checking on this, but I noted yesterday that Clemson is in better position for a specific DB than general sentiment stands."

"I mentioned on the board over the weekend that Clemson was better positioned than perceived for a particular safety.

That safety I was referencing is four-star Andrew Mukuba of Austin (Texas) LBJ. 

Have been told that Clemson might stand alone out front here. 

Mukuba (6-0, 187) has never visited Clemson, so that's probably the next step. 

Personality and skill set, he fits the mold of a player whom Brent Venables likes to coach up. Best projects as a safety but could play nickel and corner too. 

Tom Herman's uncertain future in Austin isn't doing the Longhorns any favors here. 

Also, LSU insider Billy Embody entered a Clemson pick on the 247Sports Crystal Ball on Sunday. 

What Mukuba told Clemson247 in March upon nabbing an offer from the Tigers:

"Coach Venables tells me he likes me as a DB, I can play anywhere in the secondary-- cornerback, safety, nickel," Mukuba said. "I'm a DB that can play anywhere and can cover any type of wide receiver or tight end. I can come down and make plays too." 

He's a versatile playmaker, so someone like Mukuba would allow Clemson some flexibility in who else it pursues in the secondary. Might venture to presume that three total defensive backs this haul is more likely than four."

Fuck off Clemson

• Like 3

Ketch confirming he doesn't really work very hard. He basically contradicts the analysis from the other services, then links to Thomas' "Junior tape". No mention of the ankle that stopped him from playing his Junior year, save for one game in August. 

Instant Analysis: How about dem apples aggies

Spoiler

Cliff-notes: The Longhorns picked up commitment No.8 for the Class of 2021 on Saturday afternoon when Port Arthur Memorial defensive end Jordan Thomas pulled the string on his verbal pledge, choosing Tom Herman and Co. over in-state rival Texas A&M.

Rankings: Thomas is a 5.7 high-three star prospect in the current Rivals.com rankings and is currently slotted as Rivals' No.51 overall prospect in the state of Texas, while also ranking as the No.21 strong-side defensive end prospect in nation. Other recruiting outlets such as ESPN (No.39 in the state) and 247 (No.25 in the state) currently have Thomas ranked as a four-star prospect.

Key Offers: Texas A&M, Oklahoma, LSU and Baylor

Evaluation: Thomas is an interesting kid because he's an athletic defensive end prospect that has a heigh ceiling, but probably needs a couple of years in a college weight room before he'll be ready to contribute at the high division one level. Listed at 6-4, 235 pounds, the thing that jumps out the most about Thomas is his ability to make athletic plays up and down the line of scrimmage. While I'm not sure he's an elite-level athlete, he's at the very least a plus athlete with some elite-level upside at his position. His technique at the position is going to need some overhaul when he gets to college because he has to learn how to hold his ground at the point of attack, but his level of quickness off the ball and agility on his feet make him a potential pass-rusher. While his play at the point of attack against bigger and better offensive linemen will need some development, Thomas is a physical presence on the field that will likely embrace the rugged battles that loom in front of him. There's a lot to like about Thomas as a prospect, but much of his future will come down to how his body develops at the next level and how long it takes him to adjust to the changes he'll have to make. At best, we're talking about a player that could develop into a multi-year starter and a future NFL player. The downside is that he's a bit of a tweener between being a strong-side player and a weak-side player, which means that at worst he ends up being stuck between the two positions and is never quite able to be elite at either one.

Former Texas recruit he reminds me of: Taquan Graham

Why it matters: The Longhorns already have a commitment from Ja'Tavion Sanders, who projects in my mind as the state's top defensive end prospect, but there's some question about where his ultimate long-term position on the field is going to be, so adding more talent at this position in 2021 is an absolute must, as sit is every year. Personally, I have Sanders by himself at the top of tier one at his position, while guys like Desoto's Shamar Turner (another Texas target) and Texarkana's Landon Jackson (committed to LSU) sit on tier two. I've got Thomas ranked right at the top of the third tier in the state of Texas and before his senior year is over (if there's a senior season), he has a chance to move into the tier two category. He's right on the edge of being a low four-star/Very high three star prospect. Beating Texas A&M in a head to head battle is a cherry on top of the sundae.

Check out his junior highlights on Hudl.

28 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Tennessee picks coming in.  🤑🤑🤑

Tenn has always thrown money around under Pruitt, but they must really be stepping their game up now, as in outpyaing every other school if they’re landing all these guys. I wonder if they can hold on to this class if they actually have to play in the fall and have more Georgia State kind of losss.

Freeze pulled in that Nkemdiche class in his first full year and had decent success considering the state of the program, IIRC. Definitely a different situation than Tenn seeing this kind of bump in the middle of Pruitt’s tenure without any real on field success to boost it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Tenn has always thrown money around under Pruitt, but they must really be stepping their game up now, as in outpyaing every other school if they’re landing all these guys. I wonder if they can hold on to this class if they actually have to play in the fall and have more Georgia State kind of losss.

Freeze pulled in that Nkemdiche class in his first full year and had decent success considering the state of the program, IIRC. Definitely a different situation than Tenn seeing this kind of bump in the middle of Pruitt’s tenure without any real on field success to boost it. 

Pulled them up to a #2 ranking most of the way through a season, consistently won the Egg Bowl, beat Okie Lite in the Sugar Bowl the year before it all came crashing down. Freeze may have been throwing around money bags and burner phones, but the dude can coach.

• Like 1