SEC Championship - Georgia V. Alabama

Wally Pryor

16 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Isn’t it a truer playoff if UGA-Bama was a de facto playoff game and the loser is out? Sure UGA only has one loss, but we just saw that at the end of the season (ie today not in September), Bama is 14+ points better on a neutral field. Based on records and losses, I think it should be Bama, Michigan, Cincinnati, and ND. 

ND already lost to Cincy by double digits. At home. Any argument the anti-SEC crowd here always makes is always invalidated. Georgia was #1 all year and deserves to be there. ND is the only consideration (not some mid-teens conference champion), and you don’t have to consider them long. 

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Nope. Not how this works. And it shouldn’t be how it works, unless you want to see Pitt/Wake/Baylor/Utah in the playoff. I don’t.

Georgia has, by far, the most impressive resume of any one-loss team. There will be three one-loss teams in the playoff. 

Eh, I don't know. ND only lost to another playoff bound team by 11. UGA just got their doors blown the fuck off. Over the UGA schedule was probably a little tougher but I would be inclined to exclude them if Michigan wins.

It’s insane and knee jerking to say you wouldn’t have UGA in the playoff. 

I wouldn’t. They were the #1 team that got their ass beat in a neutral site pretty much home game while giving up almost 7x as many points as their average. They were supposed to win. By saying that Georgia should be in the playoff would no different than the assholes that didn’t even drop OU in the rankings when they got blown out by Kansas State 35-7 in the Big XII title game in ‘03 and then placed them in the national championship game. The narrative was already there in ‘03 that they WANTED OU to win the national title that they didn’t even penalize them for losing. It’s no different here. The same narrative exists here. They WANT Georgia to win the national title and its absurd to put them over other deserving teams who had the benefit of losing earlier in the season where losses shouldn’t hurt near as much as ones where the bleachers haven’t even been cleaned yet. Dumbass analysts actually thinking they want to drop Georgia to #2… after getting their asses handed to them. Close loss, ok, you’d have a point, but they didn’t.. Georgia didn’t show up… again. Same song and dance as the last 40 years. I would not reward them for that and placing them in the top 4 just shows how shameless they are to follow the narrative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Not how this works. And it shouldn’t be how it works, unless you want to see Pitt/Wake/Baylor/Utah in the playoff. I don’t.
Georgia has, by far, the most impressive resume of any one-loss team. There will be three one-loss teams in the playoff. 
I hate Baylor, but winning the big 12 is more impressive than losing in the SEC championship. It's certainly more appealing than whatever the fuck is getting ND ranked in the top 6.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Has been for a long time.

He'll be at $13-plus soon and will still be a bargain of the highest order.

He basically had to replace his entire offense and half of his coaching staff from last year, and will probably still win another title. He is the engine in that machine.

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:
32 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I hate Baylor, but winning the big 12 is more impressive than losing in the SEC championship. It's certainly more appealing than whatever the fuck is getting ND ranked in the top 6.

Baylor would get shit stomped by either of those teams even as bad as UGA looked today. Bama had a lot to do with that.

32 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Bama says hi

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, TXpride said:

He basically had to replace his entire offense and half of his coaching staff from last year, and will probably still win another title. He is the engine in that machine.

He's a bargain at 20MM. And it's not even an argument.

I don't know how you can quantify what he produces in money for that school. 

19 minutes ago, ALexusTexus7 said:

I wouldn’t. They were the #1 team that got their ass beat in a neutral site pretty much home game while giving up almost 7x as many points as their average. They were supposed to win. By saying that Georgia should be in the playoff would no different than the assholes that didn’t even drop OU in the rankings when they got blown out by Kansas State 35-7 in the Big XII title game in ‘03 and then placed them in the national championship game. The narrative was already there in ‘03 that they WANTED OU to win the national title that they didn’t even penalize them for losing. It’s no different here. The same narrative exists here. They WANT Georgia to win the national title and its absurd to put them over other deserving teams who had the benefit of losing earlier in the season where losses shouldn’t hurt near as much as ones where the bleachers haven’t even been cleaned yet. Dumbass analysts actually thinking they want to drop Georgia to #2… after getting their asses handed to them. Close loss, ok, you’d have a point, but they didn’t.. Georgia didn’t show up… again. Same song and dance as the last 40 years. I would not reward them for that and placing them in the top 4 just shows how shameless they are to follow the narrative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They didn’t get their ass beat. They lost convincingly, but it probably should’ve been a 10 point game. If they play again, and they will, they probably don’t give up two 60 yard TDs. 

8 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

Bama says hi

Bama should be ranked higher now for sure. UGA lost to Bama. Bama lost to 8-4 A&M. A circular argument for sure, but Bama is clearly in along with Cincy. You really can’t argue anyone else is more deserving of a berth over UGA, except Michigan, but that’s a weak argument. 

8 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:
38 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Yeah this is correct. There shouldn't be rematches unless something has changed, like the team had a significant injury when they lost. It's absolutely fucking absurd that we just saw that Bama is without a doubt better than Georgia, but we are going to give the Dwags a mulligan. This shit is also only an option for the SEC and Big 10. 

What it will be: Bama, UM, UGA, Cincy

What it should be: Bama, UM, Cincy, Baylor 

5 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

I don’t think so. They’ll look at body of work 

Maybe, but then they’d rank Bama 1. They’re not playing in semis and I can’t see how you rank an undefeated team - who went on the road and beat the #5 team by 11 points handing them they’re only loss - ahead of a team that just lost by 17 in their conference championship. 

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Bama should be ranked higher now for sure. UGA lost to Bama. Bama lost to 8-4 A&M. A circular argument for sure, but Bama is clearly in along with Cincy. You really can’t argue anyone else is more deserving of a berth over UGA, except Michigan, but that’s a weak argument. 

I'm not arguing that.

I'm arguing that Bama's resume is better.

3 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yeah this is correct. There shouldn't be rematches unless something has changed, like the team had a significant injury when they lost. It's absolutely fucking absurd that we just saw that Bama is without a doubt better than Georgia, but we are going to give the Dwags a mulligan. This shit is also only an option for the SEC and Big 10. 

What it will be: Bama, UM, UGA, Cincy

What it should be: Bama, UM, Cincy, Baylor 

Baylor, a 2-loss team we should’ve beaten and got beat by TCU?  Lol. 

10 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Baylor would get shit stomped by either of those teams even as bad as UGA looked today. Bama had a lot to do with that.

Probably yes. So will Cincy, but they deserve a chance. No point in sending a team that didn't win their conference. There should be a lot more merit for playing and winning a conference schedule.  They also have a win over OU, and now 1-1 with OSU on the season. Both of those wins are better than any win ND, Georgia or Cincy has this year. Oh and they beat BYU, who's rank 12 right now with a 10-2 record. 

58 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Isn’t it a truer playoff if UGA-Bama was a de facto playoff game and the loser is out? Sure UGA only has one loss, but we just saw that at the end of the season (ie today not in September), Bama is 14+ points better on a neutral field. Based on records and losses, I think it should be Bama, Michigan, Cincinnati, and ND. 

How is ND any better than UTSA? Wins over top 25 teams? Conference championship game?

5 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Probably yes. So will Cincy, but they deserve a chance. No point in sending a team that didn't win their conference. There should be a lot more merit for playing and winning a conference schedule.  They also have a win over OU, and now 1-1 with OSU on the season. Both of those wins are better than any win ND, Georgia or Cincy has this year. Oh and they beat BYU, who's rank 12 right now with a 10-2 record. 

Baylor has lost 2 games. And I'm doubtful that OU and okie lite are really any better than ND. 

I do not think Baylor gets through Cincy's schedule without a loss. Certainly not as impressively. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Baylor has lost 2 games. And I'm doubtful that OU and okie lite are really any better than ND. 

I do not think Baylor gets through Cincy's schedule without a loss. Certainly not as impressively. 

ND has beat absolutely no one of note. They lost their 1 good game this year against Cincy. They have nothing to hang their hat on, not even a 10 win team that they beat. They are a paper tiger, and will likely be embarrassed in their bowl game. Best win is against 8-4 Wisconsin. Whoopty doo. 

OU, OSU and probably Baylor could run the table in the AAC. That conference is a joke, they have 11 teams, and only 4 of them have above a .500 record. It's not that hard to win all those, beat Murray State, Miami Ohio, and then win one game against Notre Dame.  I can tell you for sure, Cincy isn't going 11-2 and winning the Big 12 if the spots were switched.  

It just makes no sense to me to have a playoff system that feeds teams from 5 major conferences (plus a few minor ones), but then allows teams that lost their conference to make it in. If this was a Bama/LSU situation where 2 teams were in the same division, I could see an argument for letting the 1 loss division rival have a shot, but Georgia showed up tonight and lost. That was their playoff game essentially, now Bama gets to represent the SEC the rest of the way. If it ends up with Bama/Michigan after 2 lopsided semifinal games, so be it. But take the best 4 conference winners you can get and let them figure it out. 

Anyways, this really shouldn't be decided by a committee, it should be decided on the field. I understand Georgia has a legit argument for making the 4th spot, but they really should be rank 6th, and going to a semi-final game for the right to play rank 1 or 2 in a 6 team playoff system. Expand the playoffs and let the teams show who deserves it. 

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

ND has beat absolutely no one of note. They lost their 1 good game this year against Cincy. They have nothing to hang their hat on, not even a 10 win team that they beat. They are a paper tiger, and will likely be embarrassed in their bowl game. Best win is against 8-4 Wisconsin. Whoopty doo. 

OU, OSU and probably Baylor could run the table in the AAC. That conference is a joke, they have 11 teams, and only 4 of them have above a .500 record. It's not that hard to win all those, beat Murray State, Miami Ohio, and then win one game against Notre Dame.  I can tell you for sure, Cincy isn't going 11-2 and winning the Big 12 if the spots were switched.  

It just makes no sense to me to have a playoff system that feeds teams from 5 major conferences (plus a few minor ones), but then allows teams that lost their conference to make it in. If this was a Bama/LSU situation where 2 teams were in the same division, I could see an argument for letting the 1 loss division rival have a shot, but Georgia showed up tonight and lost. That was their playoff game essentially, now Bama gets to represent the SEC the rest of the way. If it ends up with Bama/Michigan after 2 lopsided semifinal games, so be it. But take the best 4 conference winners you can get and let them figure it out. 

Anyways, this really shouldn't be decided by a committee, it should be decided on the field. I understand Georgia has a legit argument for making the 4th spot, but they really should be rank 6th, and going to a semi-final game for the right to play rank 1 or 2 in a 6 team playoff system. Expand the playoffs and let the teams show who deserves it. 

I wouldn't put it past Cincy to win the B12 at all. Have you actually watched them play this year? Baylor lost to a team that lost to a team that Cincy beat by 30. I don't know how good Notre Dame is or isn't but they've been kicking the shit out of the bad teams on their schedule - generally that's what pretty good teams do. Baylor should have lost today. They should have lost to Texas. They beat Tech and ISU by a combined 5 points and both were home games. Their resume really isn't impressive just because they won a P5 conference. Pitt just won a P5 conference. Utah blew out Oregon last night to win the P12. Why are they not in the playoff? Because they lost multiple games. You don't get to lose 2 or 3 games and then claim you're better than a team that pretty convincingly went 13-0 because your TV deal is worth more. 

45 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Baylor?

Lulz.

Yeah it boils down to the same argument it's always been, the best or most deserving teams. We know Cincy and Bama are better than ND and Georgia, so that should eliminate ND and Georgia. Moving down the list, Baylor is the next most deserving team that won't give us something we've already seen. I think Georgia would wipe the floor with Baylor, but we haven't seen Baylor against the other playoff teams, so we really don't know. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I wouldn't put it past Cincy to win the B12 at all. Have you actually watched them play this year? Baylor lost to a team that lost to a team that Cincy beat by 30. I don't know how good Notre Dame is or isn't but they've been kicking the shit out of the bad teams on their schedule - generally that's what pretty good teams do. Baylor should have lost today. They should have lost to Texas. They beat Tech and ISU by a combined 5 points and both were home games. Their resume really isn't impressive just because they won a P5 conference. Pitt just won a P5 conference. Utah blew out Oregon last night to win the P12. Why are they not in the playoff? Because they lost multiple games. You don't get to lose 2 or 3 games and then claim you're better than a team that pretty convincingly went 13-0 because your TV deal is worth more. 

I'm guessing you were a big Boise State fan back in the late 2000s, eh?  

2 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yeah it boils down to the same argument it's always been, the best or most deserving teams. We know Cincy and Bama are better than ND and Georgia, so that should eliminate ND and Georgia. Moving down the list, Baylor is the next most deserving team that won't give us something we've already seen. I think Georgia would wipe the floor with Baylor, but we haven't seen Baylor against the other playoff teams, so we really don't know. 

So since the two teams that beat Baylor are (much) shittier than the one team that beat UGA, they should be in the playoff? It'll be Bama, UM, UGA, Cincy, which is perfectly reasonable. It might be the easiest decision the committee has ever had to make.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TXpride said:

So since the two teams that beat Baylor are (much) shittier than the one team that beat UGA, they should be in the playoff? It'll be Bama, UM, UGA, Cincy, which is perfectly reasonable. It might be the easiest decision the committee has ever had to make.

Yes. Baylor won their conference and haven't been beaten by another playoff team. We all think Georgia would kill Baylor, but we haven't seen that game. We've seen Bama vs Georgia. 

If Oklahoma State was undefeated and Baylor had one loss, and Baylor upset Oklahoma State in the Big 12 championship game, would we be saying both teams deserve to be in the playoffs? No, we only do this for the SEC and Big 10.

Just now, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yes. Baylor won their conference and haven't been beaten by another playoff team. We all think Georgia would kill Baylor, but we haven't seen that game. We've seen Bama vs Georgia. 

If Oklahoma State was undefeated and Baylor had one loss, and Baylor upset Oklahoma State in the Big 12 championship game, would we be saying both teams deserve to be in the playoffs? No, we only do this for the SEC and Big 10.

The Big 12 is dogshit. Our sorry team should've beaten both of the teams in the championship game.

5 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Lulz, why is UGA vs. Bama a de facto playoff game in the CCG but ND vs. Cincy isn’t. We’ve all seen that game, too and what happened.

The kneejerk “drop Georgia” is just that, kneejerk. And it’s driven more by a frustration that Bama and UGA most likely ARE the two best teams and not a real belief that ND might be better than Georgia (Notre Dame isn’t). 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1