The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Thanks Cruiser. The nightstand gun is just a bare bones Ruger SR9. I've never run an optic on a pistol before so any thoughts on that are greatly appreciated.

The majority of my shooting is at the deer lease but I'm in DFW so I just need a find a place around here to try out some of the guns.

Thanks Cruiser. The nightstand gun is just a bare bones Ruger SR9. I've never run an optic on a pistol before so any thoughts on that are greatly appreciated.
The majority of my shooting is at the deer lease but I'm in DFW so I just need a find a place around here to try out some of the guns.

Gritr might be a good choice.

Shoot them and then decide.

Optics take some practice but once you get it you’ll never go back.

Take an optics course.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, cknight said:

Frisco gun range has a ton of options you can rent and try out.  Including a .50 Desert Eagle for $4/round.  

Last time I was pistol shopping I took the wife and rented a .380 PPK that she loved.  Depending on inventory, they have new and used options for sale as well.  Nice place.  

19 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Let us know if you want some direction on optics.

Curious what your thoughts are on mounting height.   This is obviously kind of a personal choice and is based on what is most comfortable for the shooter but as I look at optics there is some clear division between height.   

Took the new Banshee out to the range today.  It was pleasantly surprising how little recoil I felt considering it's only 12.5"  I ended up putting around 125 rounds through it with several different types/brands of ammo that I wanted to run through it and all of them were pretty much conistent.   Only shot at 50 yards because I was using iron sights and there was a fairly large crowd of fudds on the 100 yard range that were being fudds.   When I unpacked, one of them wandered over and asked what I was shooting because it was clearly a lot smaller than all of their bolt action stuff.  After I told him what it was, one of the other ones said something to the effect that it was a girls gun.   I came back with "Well, I have daughters so they'll get better at it than I will."     

Overall, I was pretty happy with how it shot.  My spreads were decent but I need to put a lot more ammo through it.   Hopefully I'll be able to get out tomorrow again.   Shooting outdoors kind of sucked because the humidity was shitty.  

Put another 100 rounds through the PDP at 25 yards and it was fine as usual.  I definitely need to swap out the stock Walther sights for something else.  

Curious what your thoughts are on mounting height.   This is obviously kind of a personal choice and is based on what is most comfortable for the shooter but as I look at optics there is some clear division between height.   
Took the new Banshee out to the range today.  It was pleasantly surprising how little recoil I felt considering it's only 12.5"  I ended up putting around 125 rounds through it with several different types/brands of ammo that I wanted to run through it and all of them were pretty much conistent.   Only shot at 50 yards because I was using iron sights and there was a fairly large crowd of fudds on the 100 yard range that were being fudds.   When I unpacked, one of them wandered over and asked what I was shooting because it was clearly a lot smaller than all of their bolt action stuff.  After I told him what it was, one of the other ones said something to the effect that it was a girls gun.   I came back with "Well, I have daughters so they'll get better at it than I will."     
Overall, I was pretty happy with how it shot.  My spreads were decent but I need to put a lot more ammo through it.   Hopefully I'll be able to get out tomorrow again.   Shooting outdoors kind of sucked because the humidity was shitty.  
Put another 100 rounds through the PDP at 25 yards and it was fine as usual.  I definitely need to swap out the stock Walther sights for something else.  

Fuck that guy. I hate people like that - and it’s a NATO caliber.

Back to optics. Sans magnification id look at Romeo 8t (mainly because side I want one lol) or perhaps a Holosun combo or Holosun 512. Lots of options here - I think eotech is overpriced.

You can also look at an lpvo like the vortex viper or sig tango msr. I like my viper a lot and will probably upgrade one day to a nightforce.

I’m probably forgetting a bunch of things.

AR536 from Burris would be great. I have one on my hog gun - don’t make the 5x anymore but they make the 3x (332) I think.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Fuck that guy. I hate people like that - and it’s a NATO caliber.

Back to optics. Sans magnification id look at Romeo 8t (mainly because side I want one lol) or perhaps a Holosun combo or Holosun 512. Lots of options here - I think eotech is overpriced.

You can also look at an lpvo like the vortex viper or sig tango msr. I like my viper a lot and will probably upgrade one day to a nightforce.

I’m probably forgetting a bunch of things.

AR536 from Burris would be great. I have one on my hog gun - don’t make the 5x anymore but they make the 3x (332) I think.

Damn Fudds are worse than Karens 

Still have some things to add but this is my new 12.5" MK4 Banshee.   I've put a about 200 rounds through it so far.  For those on the north side of Houston, I highly recommend checking out the BTO range in Conroe on 105.  Kind of a pain to get to but worth it because they have a 100 yard indoor rifle range.  They have a decent amount of rentals and even a full auto Sten, MP5 and Grease Gun. 

20240510_144146.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Still have some things to add but this is my new 12.5" MK4 Banshee.   I've put a about 200 rounds through it so far.  For those on the north side of Houston, I highly recommend checking out the BTO range in Conroe on 105.  Kind of a pain to get to but worth it because they have a 100 yard indoor rifle range.  They have a decent amount of rentals and even a full auto Sten, MP5 and Grease Gun. 

20240510_144146.thumb.jpg.9d26a675ec8131014a78002c2edab877.jpg

8t or new primary arms lpvo with motac cap.

12 hours ago, Macanudo said:

20240510_144146.jpg

Master Blaster!

32 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Master Blaster!

It sure feels like it.   Pretty fun to shoot and feels compact in the right ways without very much recoil.   I honestly don't notice hardly a difference between this at 12.5" or a 16" rifle. 

@Handcruser Thoughts on the PA SLX MD-25 Gen II red dot vs their 1-6x24mm SFP Rifle Scope - Illuminated ACSS Aurora 5.56?  Both are $199 right now.     

It sure feels like it.   Pretty fun to shoot and feels compact in the right ways without very much recoil.   I honestly don't notice hardly a difference between this at 12.5" or a 16" rifle. 
[mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] Thoughts on the PA SLX MD-25 Gen II red dot vs their 1-6x24mm SFP Rifle Scope - Illuminated ACSS Aurora 5.56?  Both are $199 right now.     

I’d go lpvo so the 1x6 if it has the cap for motac you can add to it.

That cap allows it to have an auto on feature - meaning the second it senses movement it turns on.

On 5/11/2024 at 5:27 PM, Armybrat said:

I'd still rather have an M249, which this replaced.  I know they tested the hell out of this, but what was the reasoning to go away from a belt-fed, high capacity option to what is essentially a service rifle with a fancy scope on it?  The corps going full circle back to the Soviet SVD rifle school of thought?  More accurate suppressing fire?  I read that the M27 is a piston operated system, meaning gases and residue are ejected out of the operating system, so it in theory can sustain fire for much longer than a standard M4.....so just give everyone M27's?

On 5/8/2024 at 5:12 PM, Handcruser said:

Well, here goes.

Both are great guns. I dislike both.

Cabins have a weird feel to me and 365’s I don’t like the recoil. It’s not too much, it’s just weird. I also don’t like the sound they make - I can always tell when one is being shot on the range.

Both are great reliable weapons.

What is your nightstand gun? I like to deploy the same functionality across multiple situations.

In the striker fired world, I’d shoot the following too and see what you like-
Hellcat
Hellcat pro
43x MOS

Stream light and Holosun would be my picks on the apparent budget we’re looking at if you feel inclined.

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but I respect the shit out of your "they're great but I hate them" opinion.  I feel that way about SO much stuff. 

Just ordered one of these from PSA - just for grins, to supplement my first one that has a shorter barrel. 
This was a one day sale @ $299.99. 
They went out of stock about 30 minutes after I completed my order.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/north-american-arms-ranger-ii-22-wmr-2-5-2rd-revolver-stainless-steel-naa-22mbtii250b.html

These “toys” are really well made, therefore pricey. 
They are selling for $440-$520 online….if you can find them in stock. 
At the bottom is my first one.

IMG_3053.jpeg

IMG_1594.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Just ordered one of these from PSA - just for grins, to supplement my first one that has a shorter barrel. 
This was a one day sale @ $299.99. 
They went out of stock about 30 minutes after I completed my order.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/north-american-arms-ranger-ii-22-wmr-2-5-2rd-revolver-stainless-steel-naa-22mbtii250b.html

These “toys” are really well made, therefore pricey. 
They are selling for $440-$520 online….if you can find them in stock. 
At the bottom is my first one.

IMG_3053.jpeg

IMG_1594.jpeg

They are FUN.  Friend has one.  Fire it outside at night and report back.  Big ass fireball out the front of that little thing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I am considering dropping down to a 7 PRC for my elk hunting medicine. Still has big elk energy out to 700 yards, which is about my max range on my best day. I was considering building a custom rifle for about $3000 to $4000; but before I did that I wanted to test the cartridge out some, so I picked up an inexpensive lightly used Ruger American Go Wild in 7PRC off GB and put my big glass and suppressor on it and hit the range today.

It was really a pleasure to shoot. I had adjusted the trigger down to about 2lbs and hand lapped the action to smooth things out. It’s basically a Tikka clone, and I would have bought a tikka if they were chambering in 7prc; but this was a pleasant little surprise. Recoil and muzzle blast not a problem off the lead sled or off a tripod; I shot 30 rounds today and wasn’t fatigued; put 100 rounds through my pistols afterwards. Did some 300 yard work after getting dialed in at 100, was still holding MOA, but needed some velocity modification in my ballistic ap. Need to bring the chrono out next time.

4ae0686f1b6de036302157af691b916c.jpg

7fe570980fbfa8b4b9f61d1732615c7c.jpg

47ee04449d876c0693b8b5d046f9a079.jpg

I bought the Weaver scope mounting and ring lapping kit and used that while mounting the scope and I really liked it. I have had mounts loosen up under this big scope so it’s nice to get things more perfectly aligned and put together. The white metal inside these rings is where the lapping removed the coating, the black is where the coating still remains. I’ll definitely be lapping rings on any serious business rifle/scope in the future.

f1108c004ab9562ba786999b02a7c357.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Without that optic, my eyes couldn’t see beyond the muzzle.

My eyes aren’t great either, and I like to get up close and personal with targets. Sig BDX 5-30 x 56. I can see bullet holes in paper at 300 yards.

A note on Sig Optics customer service - I had this model scope start to have some dark spots form in the glass a few years after purchase; I called customer support and they sent me a fedex slip to send it in. Two weeks later they sent me a new scope, no questions asked. Nice experience.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Got two more Garands from the CMP - bit unexpectedly.  I'd forgotten I put in another request since it took 5 months to fill it, but pleased with what they shipped.  S.A. receivers with summer '41 and spring '44 production dates.

Barrels are new.  Muzzle and throat readings are 0.

Fascinating to think how many barrels have been fitted on the '41 especially.  Stock shows impressions that this rifle was carried and shot a lot.  You can feel where the off hand held the rifle and see where it rubbed against a back while slung.

Garand.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Drool 1