The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Yep - I was fortunate enough to get drawn on the random number generator in the very 1st cycle.

Got a Remington frame with an Ithaca slide.  Nice gun.

They went through a few more rounds when it was lifetime limit of one 1911, and then they got some more.

They reopened the applications.

Now into what I guess they call phase II where someone like me who's already bought can put in for another.

I'm in the hopper for another one if/when my number gets pulled.

I'm up to 12 Garands, a 1911, a .30 carbine, a 1917, and two 1903s (1903's I bought in store in Talladega).

It's a bad habit that's easy to justify because of their (CMP's) pricing.  I tell myself I'm not spending money since they're priced well below market.

That said, I'd never sell them unless under duress and if I'd run out of my wife's shit to sell.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

I'm up to 12 Garands, a 1911, a .30 carbine, a 1917, and two 1903s (1903's I bought in store in Talladega).

My dad approves of this post.  Milsurp FTW.

C6BA0C20-DEDE-40C9-B98F-C03EB1139F8C.thumb.jpeg.5aa1f989ee909ef45ef830b4ade07750.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, davidg said:

My dad approves of this post.  Milsurp FTW.

C6BA0C20-DEDE-40C9-B98F-C03EB1139F8C.thumb.jpeg.5aa1f989ee909ef45ef830b4ade07750.jpeg

Nice!!!!!    I've got the euro and asian common weapons too....Mausers, Mosin, Enfield, SKS, etc.  I like them all unfortunately.  In fact, the Enfield 5 MK1 (Jungle Carbine) might be my favorite.  I don't know why - childhood fascination I guess. 

All I can figure is that all those Saturday's watching Rat Patrol imprinted on me.

Haven't dipped into the German handguns yet.  Too daunting to learn.  Too many copies and variants - I get overwhelmed and don't have that itch.

Hey - that sporterized 1903 far right looks like a really well done rifle.  Any story to it?  There are some damn fine custom rifles made off those actions.  Someone spent some time and money on your dads.  Not uncommon to see some exquisitely built rifles on that action from even the Griffin and Howes of the world. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Yep. I paid $225 for my first one. Sold it at a gun show for $235 and thought I did ok. Then a couple of weeks later Bush signed the assault weapons ban and they jumped to $400+ overnight.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a mini 14. It's fine.  I use it as a truck/ranger gun when hunting.  I cannot imagine paying $1k for one.  You can get a much better rifle on an AR platform for that.  Truthfully, half of that.

Preach preacher.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Funny, because back in the day the AR was the expensive platform and the Mini half the price. 
Then shooters realized the AR could shoot rings around the Mini.

But the  Mini 14 is still a good utilitarian gun. 

It sure feels like it.   Pretty fun to shoot and feels compact in the right ways without very much recoil.   I honestly don't notice hardly a difference between this at 12.5" or a 16" rifle. 
[mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] Thoughts on the PA SLX MD-25 Gen II red dot vs their 1-6x24mm SFP Rifle Scope - Illuminated ACSS Aurora 5.56?  Both are $199 right now.     

Report in. Your failure to update us on purchases is aggressive, and will not stand.

Can we get serious for a minute?

I have a rather large (by non-gun owners' thread standards) accumulation of guns and ammo.  The mix is...eclectic.  Basically when I see a unicorn I buy it.  I don't plan to die for at least another 25 years, and I have no heirs interested in guns at all.  Left as it is, when I pass, they're gonna hafta disperse/sell off some safes full of guns and ammo, with no idea how to do it.

How do I change my estate to make it easy for them?

22 hours ago, Armybrat said:

19 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I have a mini 14. It's fine.  I use it as a truck/ranger gun when hunting.  I cannot imagine paying $1k for one.  You can get a much better rifle on an AR platform for that.  Truthfully, half of that.

13 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Funny, because back in the day the AR was the expensive platform and the Mini half the price. 

Man Bozo about to be all up in yalls shit, lol.  

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Can we get serious for a minute?

I have a rather large (by non-gun owners' thread standards) accumulation of guns and ammo.  The mix is...eclectic.  Basically when I see a unicorn I buy it.  I don't plan to die for at least another 25 years, and I have no heirs interested in guns at all.  Left as it is, when I pass, they're gonna hafta disperse/sell off some safes full of guns and ammo, with no idea how to do it.

How do I change my estate to make it easy for them?

Keep a good inventory documented so they can take the list to dealers and get quotes for the lot. A guy I used to work with just went through this a year or two ago when his FIL passed leaving a garage full of guns, ammo, accessories. Had to have dealers come look and try to inventory/quote; but it was a PITA. Dealer bought all the firearms for I believe 75% of appraised retail.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Imagine seeing a gun in terms of utility rather than an erector set.

Look, they AR is a platform and you can do things with it that that you can’t do with the Mini14. No argument.  But the cost of that configurability is that it’s not the best general purpose rifle, or the best rifle for any single purpose, just the easiest to configure.

I might argue with the “shoot rings around,” since Ruger addressed the accuracy issues nearly two decades ago (understanding this is but an eyeblink for you, eternal Brahma), but even so, I offer two counterpoints.

1) yes, an AR built for precision or competition shooting will be far more precise  and accurate than a stock Mini. It will also be far more expensive and far less versatile. 
2) Because a Mini-14 is built for versatility and utility in the field, and does not shit where it eats, it jams less and needs less babying than an AR, and will also be more accurate out of the box than a cheapo AR.

I like the mini-14 better because it is the most utilitarian.223/5.56 and I like utility. My AR is set up for a specific SHTF scenario but otherwise I wouldn’t bring it out for plinking coffee cans and mocs from 50 yards because I would need to clean it afterwards.

55 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Man Bozo about to be all up in yalls shit, lol.  

You’re on the list pal

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Keep a good inventory documented so they can take the list to dealers and get quotes for the lot. A guy I used to work with just went through this a year or two ago when his FIL passed leaving a garage full of guns, ammo, accessories. Had to have dealers come look and try to inventory/quote; but it was a PITA. Dealer bought all the firearms for I believe 75% of appraised retail.

Yes - keep an inventory and specify in your will what you want done. My daughter doesn’t want any of my guns so I have them earmarked for other people.

I’d be surprised at that 75% number unless they were collectible. I’ll clue you guys in on something - gun stores pay about 60% of wholesale on trades/purchase. Ex - Glock 19 has a wholesale price (ex.) of $500 and a retail of $600. Gun stores would buy that gun from you for $300 to $325 depending on condition, original case, etc. it’s kind of the standard, although pawn shops will sometimes do a little better because it’s easier for them in some ways.

Estate stuff - usually we would look at the whole lot and offer no more than 50% of what we could sell it for - but some variables could move that up or down a bit. Ex- we did an estate purchase a few years ago from an ex FBI HRT guy. The ammo was out of control and fucking hard to find good shit as well as special made Springfield 1911’s only made for FBI HRT. Yeah, we paid more. If it’s just a bunch of random shit, we want to be in for less.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Imagine seeing a gun in terms of utility rather than an erector set.

Look, they AR is a platform and you can do things with it that that you can’t do with the Mini14. No argument.  But the cost of that configurability is that it’s not the best general purpose rifle, or the best rifle for any single purpose, just the easiest to configure.

I might argue with the “shoot rings around,” since Ruger addressed the accuracy issues nearly two decades ago (understanding this is but an eyeblink for you, eternal Brahma), but even so, I offer two counterpoints.

1) yes, an AR built for precision or competition shooting will be far more precise  and accurate than a stock Mini. It will also be far more expensive and far less versatile. 
2) Because a Mini-14 is built for versatility and utility in the field, and does not shit where it eats, it jams less and needs less babying than an AR, and will also be more accurate out of the box than a cheapo AR.

I like the mini-14 better because it is the most utilitarian.223/5.56 and I like utility. My AR is set up for a specific SHTF scenario but otherwise I wouldn’t bring it out for plinking coffee cans and mocs from 50 yards because I would need to clean it afterwards.

You’re on the list pal

Even though I have bought a total of 4 AR carbines (1 S&W, 1 Colt, 2 PSA) in the past 10 years, I didn’t buy them for myself - but for gifting to immediate family members if they want them. Gifted the first two of them 2 years ago for Christmas. 
In addition, a couple of years ago I bought a PSA AR 10.5” pistol with the potential idea of using it for HD. Meh, probably won’t even take it out of the safe.
Of course not being much of a shooter, I haven’t even fired it yet and will probably give it to a family member.
The only one I have fired was the S&W Sport, and it was a lot of fun.
If I were to buy another 5.56 carbine, it would be a standard Ruger Mini 14. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

At one time, years ago, i actually owned 2.  One blued, one stainless folder.  What was i thinking?  Gun show lust, I guess

Ruger has brough back the stainless folder - about $1,500. 
Meh, I ain’t a paratrooper.

On 5/25/2024 at 10:11 AM, Handcruser said:

I’d be surprised at that 75% number unless they were collectible.

It was a shitload of snake guns and a bunch of old Sako (among others)rifles iirc.  He posted the pics here, with a quick follow up that they weren’t selling to individuals or had already sold the lot.   I’m losing the name off the top of my head but that big store in San Antonio bought it all, iirc. I followed all their auctions on GB for awhile,  looking for a few of the Sakos but never saw any of them come up.  

It was a shitload of snake guns and a bunch of old Sako (among others)rifles iirc.  He posted the pics here, with a quick follow up that they weren’t selling to individuals or had already sold the lot.   I’m losing the name off the top of my head but that big store in San Antonio bought it all, iirc. I followed all their auctions on GB for awhile,  looking for a few of the Sakos but never saw any of them come up.  

It was Dury’s. I checked my texts and they bought it for 70% retail, so I was a little high on my first number
. A few of the notes from my buddy:

8eaa7edd1fdeae11cbdd2143c28217d0.png

85bcf1fd7a889618665cfba57b02eff4.png

8b0e2ae9d809346297c31b62bbfb92d9.png

89bd029d9b22a7c93be9ec19ca84735c.png
  • Drool 1

I ‘member those.  I wanted to peak at the 70’s.  I’m still hunting an as-built Bob (Std. and Fwt.),  Swift, and 375 Alaskan.  Really want to close those out. 

You give a few generations +/- 75yrs and someone’s going to take something off or screw something on. No judgement there.  Rifles are tools for working, but I’m a sucker for as-built. 
I bid on dozens of 70’s per year and get my fair share, but none of those iterations have been under my ceiling.  Time to raise the roof a bit probably.  

14 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

I ‘member those.  I wanted to peak at the 70’s.  I’m still hunting an as-built Bob (Std. and Fwt.),  Swift, and 375 Alaskan.  Really want to close those out. 

You give a few generations +/- 75yrs and someone’s going to take something off or screw something on. No judgement there.  Rifles are tools for working, but I’m a sucker for as-built. 
I bid on dozens of 70’s per year and get my fair share, but none of those iterations have been under my ceiling.  Time to raise the roof a bit probably.  

I’ve seen a few swifts in the last 6 months that weren’t crazy prices. Less that you paid for that Hornet I bet.  Couple of them were really nice, I’ll DM you if they come around again.   Haven’t seen any Bobs in…ever.   I almost convinced myself to pick up a LNIB Kimber of O Bob awhile back, but restrained myself.  My goal is to square away a P gun in the next 18 months or so, which is going to significantly slow down some of the rifles I’ve been hunting for awhile.  

19 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve seen a few swifts in the last 6 months that weren’t crazy prices. Less that you paid for that Hornet I bet.  Couple of them were really nice, I’ll DM you if they come around again.   Haven’t seen any Bobs in…ever.   I almost convinced myself to pick up a LNIB Kimber of O Bob awhile back, but restrained myself.  My goal is to square away a P gun in the next 18 months or so, which is going to significantly slow down some of the rifles I’ve been hunting for awhile.  

Yeah - I've let a few swifts get by me over a couple hundred dollars here lately.  Trying to keep it under $1500 plus buyers premium to keep it under two grand but haven't hit one yet.

I've seen more 257's in auctions recently than I have over the last 12 months, but that's the difference in 5-6 vs. 2-3.  I haven't checked Gunbroker in a while.  So many of those give me bad vibes when dealing with M70's b/c there is a growing trend of "replicas" being passed off as real - rebarreled, restamped, restocked and not acknowledged.......that's harder to police there vs. with an auction house if something comes in and its obvious.

There's a very nice supergrade Bob coming up to auction in a few days and I'm really, really tempted, but the butt plate was removed and a Pachmayr pad added, and a little notch out of the stock under receiver where a Lyman sight was added then removed.

No one else would notice or give a shit but I'd think of those two things every time I wiped it down.  I know it is probably unreasonable on my part considering the age of the rifle but whatever!

Posted (edited)

Hey, I hear you. Little things like that would bug me too. 
Kinda like my bubba’d (or Paco’d really, since it was brought out of Mexico 50+ years ago by my Dad) 1865 production Henry .44 Rimfire:

A pox on Mr. Quisada…..

IMG_8990.jpeg

IMG_9085.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Hell grabagun is selling HK's for $500 and I've seen CZ's lower than $400 from them.  I think some of these manufacturers are overextended on inventory and working to unload.

9mm Rimfire revolvers though? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

9mm Rimfire revolvers though? 

Its a wildcat cartridge and a special action that just looks like a glock but has a cylinder. 

Those guys at the academy gun counter are known to be cutting edge experts in firearms.  Just go stand at the counter one day and listen to 'em talk.

Hank and Skeeter (the new kid-hired last week) have been working in the back on load development and programing the CNC machine to ramp up production. 

Get on board.  It's the next big thing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Its a wildcat cartridge and a special action that just looks like a glock but has a cylinder. 

Those guys at the academy gun counter are known to be cutting edge experts in firearms.  Just go stand at the counter one day and listen to 'em talk.

Hank and Skeeter (the new kid-hired last week) have been working in the back on load development and programing the CNC machine to ramp up production. 

Get on board.  It's the next big thing.

Yeah, a few years ago I was at Academy looking for a CZ 75. All I got a 5 minute lecture on why I was making a mistake and needed to buy something else. He trained with police (he wasn't one) and said they were not any good. I guess all the military units (including 1st special services) and police forces that have them on their approved list are wrong. 

• Rage+1 2

6 hours ago, Crapinon said:

Yeah, a few years ago I was at Academy looking for a CZ 75. All I got a 5 minute lecture on why I was making a mistake and needed to buy something else. He trained with police (he wasn't one) and said they were not any good. I guess all the military units (including 1st special services) and police forces that have them on their approved list are wrong. 

Turkey's for eatin'....not making guns.  Your "advisor" there probably open carries a Taurus .380 at Sam's Club on the weekends for a big day out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Fuck that guy in the goat ass.
  • Hook 'Em 2