The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

LPVO you can find quite a few decent entry level models from Sig, Vortex and Primary Arms. Sig and vortex are always on a mount combo sale on PSA, primary arms will occasionally run combo sales on theirs.

I have a 1-8 strike eagle, I find that the 1-6 model is much better. Even on mine at 6 and lower it’s great but at 8x magnification the eye relief is very meh.

And don’t get near me ever with that brake on the end! My ears are ringing just looking at it

Thanks for the recommendation. I wasn't too familiar with the LPVO until now. I'm starting on the low-medium end to begin with. I'll post when I get one mounted.

Thanks for the recommendation. I wasn't too familiar with the LPVO until now. I'm starting on the low-medium end to begin with. I'll post when I get one mounted.

Eurooptic

Viper pst2 1-6
$499

Buy that if buying vortex. Glass is better. $100 more basically outside of PSA sale.

Sig tango msr is a really good deal. Comes with mount.

Vortex razor is the shit. But $1600 or so.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Also look at primary arms lpvo with new shake awake cap.

Buy at least the mid grade lpvo from them

5 hours ago, Crapinon said:

Too late to do any good. WLP and the faction he’s associated has ruined the NRA, probably permanently. It’s no longer an effective advocate for hunters and shooters, and probably never will be again. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Crapinon said:

Thanks. I'm looking around for a deal on one.

If you are interested I have the primary arms one he mentioned mounted in geissele rings. Could let you borrow to try it out if local-ish. 

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Too late to do any good. WLP and the faction he’s associated has ruined the NRA, probably permanently. It’s no longer an effective advocate for hunters and shooters, and probably never will be again. 

Yes and no. I have been withholding specifically due to not feeling like supporting his girlfriends lifestyle.  He’s gone, no more reservations. 

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes and no. I have been withholding specifically due to not feeling like supporting his girlfriend’s lifestyle.  He’s gone, no more reservations. 

My bet is that post WLP they double down on culture war bullshit and partisanship, with predictable results- steadily diminishing influence and increasing isolation.

We need the NRA we had 40 years ago.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

My bet is that post WLP they double down on culture war bullshit and partisanship, with predictable results- steadily diminishing influence and increasing isolation.

We need the NRA we had 40 years ago.

No, we need someone who will fight senators that think we shouldn't have the rights to own a pellet gun.  I couldn't gaf about the NRA that taught how to build a campfire and clean a deer after a hunt with your uncle.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

No, we need someone who will fight senators that think we shouldn't have the rights to own a pellet gun.  I couldn't gaf about the NRA that taught how to build a campfire and clean a deer after a hunt with your uncle.  

Suffice it to say that I disagree, in part because not focusing on the latter (and marksmanship, and safety, and promotion of shooting sports, etc) greatly empowers the former. 
Screeching about CRT on Fox News will never take cans off the NFA, and neither will the NRA’s conflict grift. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Suffice it to say that I disagree, in part because not focusing on the latter (and marksmanship, and safety, and promotion of shooting sports, etc) greatly empowers the former. 
Screeching about CRT on Fox News will never take cans off the NFA, and neither will the NRA’s conflict grift. 

We can wish all you want to go back to the 60's and 70's, in every facet of life, but it's not going to happen.  The focus has changed, to fighting to protect rights, but promoting marksmanship, safety, and shooting sports is still a thing (half the mag is about 3 gun and random comps, ffs)   Their goal it to raise money to fight for gun rights and to lobby, and the boogeymen issues get old scared men off their wallets. 

Maybe with a particular senator and particular congress critter gone, we'll stop seeing ALL GUNS GONE bills.   I have no issue funding again is all I'm saying.  I'm sure I'll be buying the new dudes sidepiece rides on a yacht, and I'll pull back out again when that becomes known.  Until then, have some $$$ and thank you for protecting our right.

I'm bowing out now because I don't want to fuck with this thread.  We can agree good riddance to WLP?   I lost auction on a .222 I've been dreaming about this week because I got busy at work and I'm salty af about it.  Have a good one. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

@fattyflattie I’m sure it’s been mentioned upstream, which model 222 are you after?

I've chased a bunch of them.  This was an old 461 sako.   I'm not in a hurry, looking for the right one.  And there out there, but getting tougher by the day it seems to get the condition I'm hunting.   

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean…as a lifelong gun owner and shooter who would like to see the tradition of American gun ownership continue, I can tell you that our best bet for growth of that culture is to BROADEN it, not narrow it. The more American gun culture becomes defined by the tacticool “I have 5 ARs and all kinds of superfluous ‘combat’ gear” crowd, the less the broad population will be interested, much less supportive.
30+ years ago, I got a bunch of guys interested in guns, including buying their own first gun, because they saw several of us going skeet shooting and dove hunting and having a good time, so they wanted to try it out.
TLDR: the group of “American gun owners” used to include a large portion of hunters and recreational shooters of hunting weapons, and a very small number of combat cosplayers. Now that is flipped on its head, and that’s bad news if you want firearms and gun ownership to be part of the mainstream instead of a fringe thing ripe for marginalization.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Now that is flipped on its head, and that’s bad news if you want firearms and gun ownership to be part of the mainstream instead of a fringe thing ripe for marginalization.

Is it?  When I moved to Houston 15 years ago American shooting center (huge range, clays, long range, etc) was a bunch of guys that look like me (now).   I go now and on a Tuesday afternoon and its 50+ Asian men with nothing but tactical SA rifles, and maybe 5 old white dudes working on some handloads.  Every. Single. Time.   Pistol range about 80% Asian and Hispanic guys that was 90+% white guys from Katy a few years ago.    The entire clay section still has the same demographics, along with the 200-600yd (or whatever it is now) long range stuff.  Mostly middle aged professionals that trend white male, although there is more women showing up at the 5 stands everyday (including my wife)

So, while it seems the tacticool trend bothers you, both sales and what's at the range seems to be getting more and more mainstream.  Shit, I see just as many chassis rifles as I do wood stocked hunting rifles.  Good luck seeing anything with custom exhibition wood on the rifle range, maybe 1 out of 10 trips - it's typically mine that some old guy will come ask to take a look at. Chassis rifles are "tacticool".  No one is committing crimes with them.  Why is precision shooting tactical?  Are you yearning to go back to the 1.5 MOA out of the box model 70's of our youth?  As long as it can hit a dinner plate, remember that?  I'm looking at replacing some shot out barrels on my hunting rifles with a carbon fiber barrel.  Is that tactical, or just modern tech. 

Remember when you didn't know anyone that hunted with an AR?  Forget about shooting sounders out of helicopters for a moment.   90% of the kids you see on facebook next to scraggly spike or fork horn have a little 556 with the stock completely collapsed, and a can on the end in the pic.  Turns out super ergonomic (will fit kid 1, 2, and 3 perfectly with the pull of a lever), affordable, indestructible, low recoil rifles are popular with people with small kids.  Oh and I can make it where their little ears are protected too, sign me the fuck up.   No more trying to unfuck a flinch for a decade after handing your 10 yo dad's '06 because you want to get your kid involved in hunting.   Now, lets talk about mowing down sounders.  It's fun af.  Does it bother you that people enjoy that?

First time ownership of firearms is record breaking year after year, and across every demographic.  I would bet both aisles are well represented in that rainbow coalition demographic spread.  Prices are up year after year due to demand.  Exciting new wildcat rounds showing up every other year.   All of that screams mainstream, and I'll bet dollars to donuts those first timers aren't grabbing some easily accessible plain walnut ADL, and certainly not some AAA Claro adorned Blaser.   Doesn't bother me in the least.  Less competition for what I personally like to fill my safe with. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean…as a lifelong gun owner and shooter who would like to see the tradition of American gun ownership continue, I can tell you that our best bet for growth of that culture is to BROADEN it, not narrow it. The more American gun culture becomes defined by the tacticool “I have 5 ARs and all kinds of superfluous ‘combat’ gear” crowd, the less the broad population will be interested, much less supportive.
30+ years ago, I got a bunch of guys interested in guns, including buying their own first gun, because they saw several of us going skeet shooting and dove hunting and having a good time, so they wanted to try it out.
TLDR: the group of “American gun owners” used to include a large portion of hunters and recreational shooters of hunting weapons, and a very small number of combat cosplayers. Now that is flipped on its head, and that’s bad news if you want firearms and gun ownership to be part of the mainstream instead of a fringe thing ripe for marginalization.

Then I think it becomes incumbent upon those, like you, to help counter the marginalization of gun owners, regardless of how they choose to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights.

I'd also say, that the popularity of AR-styled rifles increased in response to threats against them.  If certain legislators stopped telling people they plan to ban certain guns, people won't stockpile them thinking that we're entering a dangerous phase of American history...

Again, for those who vote for those same legislators, I think it's important that they voice their support for gun ownership so that their representatives understand their constituents aren't one-sided on this issue.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Litig8r said:

My wife's step dad left her a SW Model 10 .38.  We lost it in house fire.  Wife really like the gun.  I've been thinking about replacing..  Yesterday I saw a Colt Metropolitian MKIII for $750.  Seemed in pretty decent shape but had a third party grip on it.  Should I buy it or a new model 10 for $850?

If she really liked the Model 10, my vote is get her another one.

• Like 1

Is it?  When I moved to Houston 15 years ago American shooting center (huge range, clays, long range, etc) was a bunch of guys that look like me (now).   I go now and on a Tuesday afternoon and its 50+ Asian men with nothing but tactical SA rifles, and maybe 5 old white dudes working on some handloads.  Every. Single. Time.   Pistol range about 80% Asian and Hispanic guys that was 90+% white guys from Katy a few years ago.    The entire clay section still has the same demographics, along with the 200-600yd (or whatever it is now) long range stuff.  Mostly middle aged professionals that trend white male, although there is more women showing up at the 5 stands everyday (including my wife)
So, while it seems the tacticool trend bothers you, both sales and what's at the range seems to be getting more and more mainstream.  Shit, I see just as many chassis rifles as I do wood stocked hunting rifles.  Good luck seeing anything with custom exhibition wood on the rifle range, maybe 1 out of 10 trips - it's typically mine that some old guy will come ask to take a look at. Chassis rifles are "tacticool".  No one is committing crimes with them.  Why is precision shooting tactical?  Are you yearning to go back to the 1.5 MOA out of the box model 70's of our youth?  As long as it can hit a dinner plate, remember that?  I'm looking at replacing some shot out barrels on my hunting rifles with a carbon fiber barrel.  Is that tactical, or just modern tech. 
Remember when you didn't know anyone that hunted with an AR?  Forget about shooting sounders out of helicopters for a moment.   90% of the kids you see on facebook next to scraggly spike or fork horn have a little 556 with the stock completely collapsed, and a can on the end in the pic.  Turns out super ergonomic (will fit kid 1, 2, and 3 perfectly with the pull of a lever), affordable, indestructible, low recoil rifles are popular with people with small kids.  Oh and I can make it where their little ears are protected too, sign me the fuck up.   No more trying to unfuck a flinch for a decade after handing your 10 yo dad's '06 because you want to get your kid involved in hunting.   Now, lets talk about mowing down sounders.  It's fun af.  Does it bother you that people enjoy that?
First time ownership of firearms is record breaking year after year, and across every demographic.  I would bet both aisles are well represented in that rainbow coalition demographic spread.  Prices are up year after year due to demand.  Exciting new wildcat rounds showing up every other year.   All of that screams mainstream, and I'll bet dollars to donuts those first timers aren't grabbing some easily accessible plain walnut ADL, and certainly not some AAA Claro adorned Blaser.   Doesn't bother me in the least.  Less competition for what I personally like to fill my safe with. 
Your take generally aligns with my observations. One thing that I don't think is largely understood is how quickly/how much the gen-z gamers types turned hobby shooters are creating a subculture somewhat unique from the other gun owner types (hunters, gravy seals, etc).

I used to have a sour attitude towards black rifles and had more of the mindset of Brisket, then I bought an 80 percent lower just to tinker and see if I could build one. The process of doing that (researching, watching videos, fucking up) flipped the switch for me. Tinkering with black rifles has made me a much more effective gun rights advocate compared to the NRA culture I grew up around in the 80s and 90s
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mighty fine said:

Your take generally aligns with my observations. One thing that I don't think is largely understood is how quickly/how much the gen-z gamers types turned hobby shooters are creating a subculture somewhat unique from the other gun owner types (hunters, gravy seals, etc).

I used to have a sour attitude towards black rifles and had more of the mindset of Brisket, then I bought an 80 percent lower just to tinker and see if I could build one. The process of doing that (researching, watching videos, fucking up) flipped the switch for me. Tinkering with black rifles has made me a much more effective gun rights advocate compared to the NRA culture I grew up around in the 80s and 90s

Agreed.  I used to have manage a group of young engineers (most were kind of weird and nerdy, gamer types).  Very smart, kind kids.  One day one overhears me talking to another guy about hunting, and we get to talking guns.  Turns out, a bunch of them were big AR guys.  They would tinker with them over and over, changing them up, etc.  But the more I spoke with them, they didn't really even enjoy shooting. Not a single one hunted, no one shot clays, none of them grew up in families that had firearms or hunted.  They just loved the mechanics of, in particular, the AR, and having something in the house made them feel safer.  Was very eye opening, and they didn't have a clue when I was telling me about all the pre-64's I had been stacking away, or why I was trying to score this awesome old Superposed.    They didn't have a clue those even existed. They were bored with the lack of moving parts in my bolt guns.  A Ruger 1 would of mind melted them.  An entire generation of kids that were in diapers when the AWB sunsetted. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I am not a long gun guy at all, but collected a few just because I can and gift them to family. The ARs are fun to shoot, but don’t really flip my switch like a pre-‘64 Winchester lever gun or a nice bolt rifle. 
Am more intrigued with wheel guns and compact self defense semiauto pistols.

349D9D47-DEE1-4D02-ABF7-FB9A45719BE0.jpeg

EEBF0C53-BDE8-4B16-A04B-18EC50AF1BE3.jpeg

9CB9EE63-AFA9-4B4F-BEE7-78F13A48CD74.jpeg

D5FC4457-1362-4BC2-833A-26093C1AB9B9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Having said that, here is an interesting 11.5” AR pistol from PSA… with a caveat:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa-15-11-5-carbine-length-5-56-nato-1-7-phosphate-btr-classic-stealth-pistol-w-carry-handle.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=daily_deals&utm_campaign=afternoon&utm_term=20240107&utm_content=

These braced pistols are designed and intended only for use as forearm braces to provide a more stable firearm platform. They are neither designed nor intended to be fired from the shoulder. As configuration changes may alter the classification of a particular firearm, the user bears sole responsibility for determining the correct application of state and federal law.

E699AE48-E210-4EFB-994E-F18B74FA32FA.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

I gave up on the braces long ago. I sbr anything close and just eat the stamp cost. I am all about regulation, training and common sense laws for ownership. The suppressor bullshit is lost on me. You regulate at the level of a drivers license on the front end, why can't I not lose my hearing over this sport. Instead I have thousands of dollars in stamps on suppressors I waited damn near a year to get. Bah, get off my shooting range.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Yes the rule was stayed by northern district of Texas judge.

Ruled it wouldn’t stand up in court.

However the aft bois have introduced another notice that outlines their new points system…. Which will again be a rule to try and avoid legal action against 2A…

On 1/5/2024 at 9:11 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

That's simply not true, even if it's the conventional wisdom. NRA won Bruen. NRA and its state affiliates have their fingerprints on range, shooting, and hunting issues all over the country. And even with its current problems and mismanagement, the NRA is still the only organization that moves the needle at the federal legislative level. Other orgs have definitely caught up/surpassed NRA on litigation but one of the main reasons is that they are using old NRA lawyers so it's a continuation of the NRA strategy to some degree. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In other news, I've posted here about trying to find a decent left-handed rifle for my son's first deer gun. I finally found one in time for xmas, when a dealer friend sold me this rifle in 7-08 and a Leupold scope for cost, bore sighted it, and threw in the rings for free. Smoking deal. 

https://christensenarms.com/mesa/

I really like this rifle. Took it to the range and it was sub-MOA out of the box. I see where Christensen quality is a little inconsistent, but this action and trigger are great. I think this will be a life-time gun for the guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/6/2024 at 10:56 AM, ChickenNuggets said:

Then I think it becomes incumbent upon those, like you, to help counter the marginalization of gun owners, regardless of how they choose to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights.

I'd also say, that the popularity of AR-styled rifles increased in response to threats against them.  If certain legislators stopped telling people they plan to ban certain guns, people won't stockpile them thinking that we're entering a dangerous phase of American history...

Again, for those who vote for those same legislators, I think it's important that they voice their support for gun ownership so that their representatives understand their constituents aren't one-sided on this issue.

This is all correct.  Also correct is that AR's are awesome guns.  They are fun and easy to operate.  The evolution of technology is inevitable and playing out before our eyes.  They also check every box.  With a single rifle you have the application of hunting, recreation, and home defense.  Then you can take it a step further and get into the customization aspect.  You can buy different uppers in different calibers.  Mount any conceivable type of optic on them.  Change out barrel/stock lengths.  If you have younger shooters, there is no easier platform to learn to shoot with.  

• Hook 'Em 2

This is all correct.  Also correct is that AR's are awesome guns.  They are fun and easy to operate.  The evolution of technology is inevitable and playing out before our eyes.  They also check every box.  With a single rifle you have the application of hunting, recreation, and home defense.  Then you can take it a step further and get into the customization aspect.  You can buy different uppers in different calibers.  Mount any conceivable type of optic on them.  Change out barrel/stock lengths.  If you have younger shooters, there is no easier platform to learn to shoot with.  

AR’s are indeed awesome.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Handcruser said:

AR’s are indeed awesome.

Not just from a recreational space that everyone thinks is the reason so many people own them, but from a practicality perspective, no other option can be modified and adapted to suit any of a hundred different applications.  They're the next iteration in technology - one rifle can be modified for long distance shooting in the morning, and then modified again for CQB work in the afternoon, then altered again to hunt with in the evening.  Just swap out barrels and optics, uppers if you want a different caliber choice.  

ar15gifbellswhistles.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Not just from a recreational space that everyone thinks is the reason so many people own them, but from a practicality perspective, no other option can be modified and adapted to suit any of a hundred different applications.  They're the next iteration in technology - one rifle can be modified for long distance shooting in the morning, and then modified again for CQB work in the afternoon, then altered again to hunt with in the evening.  Just swap out barrels and optics, uppers if you want a different caliber choice.  
ar15gifbellswhistles.gif

Agree all around.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

ar15gifbellswhistles.gif

Yep….

EA1711B8-A28A-4669-B960-84583DEF43DA.jpeg

15DFC8F7-5D68-4621-9E35-4C4B8F26EB7E.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/7/2024 at 10:41 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

I gave up on the braces long ago. I sbr anything close and just eat the stamp cost. I am all about regulation, training and common sense laws for ownership. The suppressor bullshit is lost on me. You regulate at the level of a drivers license on the front end, why can't I not lose my hearing over this sport. Instead I have thousands of dollars in stamps on suppressors I waited damn near a year to get. Bah, get off my shooting range.

Such a squishy term.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Went with the SA Waypoint in .308 (~2k from Gunbroker) and snagged a Pulsar Thermion XG50 from Europtic on a special at half off for $3k. Shoots great and zeroing was a breeze. Love this setup

b5335d695b11491ba87e7b94afba3361.jpg

8de7981aa36a682330765174b2013d39.jpg

06e47fcd836df7459915f02af7e6af2b.jpg

Interested in reviews on that Pulsar when you’ve got it broken in.  I need to put together a night setup at some point. 

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Saw these real mother of pearl grips a dude is going to put on his DW 1911.

F10C30F4-43CE-48B8-83C8-679E196E5557.jpeg

is he a pimp in a New Orleans whore house?

3 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Great looking set up @Fat Bastard

‘Found me a snake wheel gun at a pawn shop the other day. King Cobra 357. It’s one of the new Colt builds, not the older version.

7AE694EE-54C8-4559-999C-DEF8FD43641C.jpeg

I thought King Cobra was .38?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1