The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

After years or wanting one and just never going through with it I think I'm finally going to treat myself to a 20 ga over/under for dove and quail.  Any suggestions on one that I can use and pass down to my boy?  I want a good quality gun but don't care about the super fancy engraving, etc.  Any idea on what i'm looking at for something like that...$1K, $1.5K, $2K?

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Not nearly as cool as that, but I marked one off the bucket list tonight. Pre-64 .270 Will work on pics.  

Do it.  Hunt with my g-fathers old pre-64 .270 build back in the 50's (I think).  Have old black & white pics of it strapped to the side of a mule in the Davis mountains when they were hunting Black Tail.  Nor is she a safe queen.  Hunt every year with her

270.thumb.JPG.817d7110714b8cdfaa36b3aaaeb9a6db.JPG

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

After years or wanting one and just never going through with it I think I'm finally going to treat myself to a 20 ga over/under for dove and quail.  Any suggestions on one that I can use and pass down to my boy?  I want a good quality gun but don't care about the super fancy engraving, etc.  Any idea on what i'm looking at for something like that...$1K, $1.5K, $2K?

Hard to beat a Ruger Red Label or Citori  - both are around a grand.  Both will last a lifetime.  

18 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Do it.  Hunt with my g-fathers old pre-64 .270 build back in the 50's (I think).  Have old black & white pics of it strapped to the side of a mule in the Davis mountains when they were hunting Black Tail.  Nor is she a safe queen.  Hunt every year with her

270.thumb.JPG.817d7110714b8cdfaa36b3aaaeb9a6db.JPG

This one is a ‘53. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Not nearly as cool as that, but I marked one off the bucket list tonight. Pre-64 .270 Will work on pics.  

My favorite for everything it represents - History, quality, and functionality all rolled into one.

I went on a bit of a bender some months back - Scoured the auctions (not gunbroker) and picked up a few that fell outside of true collector interest (flawed for one reason or the other),  and then had them brought back to life by a guy who does nothing but work on pre-64 70's.  Everything goes back to original.....from sights to but plates.

Love them and love taking them into the field.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

My favorite for everything it represents - History, quality, and functionality all rolled into one.

I went on a bit of a bender some months back - Scoured the auctions (not gunbroker) and picked up a few that fell outside of true collector interest (flawed for one reason or the other),  and then had them brought back to life by a guy who does nothing but work on pre-64 70's.  Everything goes back to original.....from sights to but plates.

Love them and love taking them into the field.

That’s exactly what this one is, and the plan.  It’s nice, but it’s going to be very, very nice when it’s said and done.  I’ve waited for the right one forever, and stumbled into this one because they had it listed in the antiques subforum.  It went for about half what they typically do.  

• Hook 'Em 2

So obviously I love my .270, BUT...she had an even cooler sister that did get away.  Also a pre-64 in .257 Roberts with an unusual, shorter, heavier barrel.  Almost like a tankers carbine (20 inch barrel).  Got lost and sold when g-parents passed and there was this massive estate squabble with my dad, is brother, and their two sisters.  2,500 acre ranch got chopped up, houses sold, items fought over, etc.

Still, such a cool and unusual gun in a really, really cool caliber that you almost never see or even hear of anymore.  

16 hours ago, cabowabo said:

My latest SBR project. Bren 805 with an ACR stock adapter and stock. Used the aerosol Duracoat in FDE on the stock to match the rest of the gun. Pretty close match. The stock was a darker coyote brown.
6cfcdabff7280608e458f3af3fb7c963.jpg

THAT, is some sexy shit my man.  

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

So obviously I love my .270, BUT...she had an even cooler sister that did get away.  Also a pre-64 in .257 Roberts with an unusual, shorter, heavier barrel.  Almost like a tankers carbine (20 inch barrel).  Got lost and sold when g-parents passed and there was this massive estate squabble with my dad, is brother, and their two sisters.  2,500 acre ranch got chopped up, houses sold, items fought over, etc.

Still, such a cool and unusual gun in a really, really cool caliber that you almost never see or even hear of anymore.  

The old 70s chambered in Bob are pretty scarce to begin with, and then factor in a non-standard factory barrel and that's a unicorn.  Hate that she got away.

I'm trying to be patient with that one, but it is on my list along with the Hornet and one of the H&H or other magnums.

The market is such that you aren't going to grab one of those under $1500 in any reasonable condition, or under $2000 for a nice one anymore, unless you just happen upon one that is being sold without regard to the fair market value.

I'm sitting on .270, a few in 30-06 (I love the fact that some are stamped Govt '06) and a .264.

I'll tell on myself here, but I recently got a bit skunked on what I thought was a very old 70 chambered in 25-35 with a 4 digit serial number.  All I had was the listing, and two bad pictures so I bought it......knowing I'd stumbled into a special order, very early, and quite rare rifle.

When it came in I was confused by the bolt release.  In doing my research, I figured out it wasn't a 70 after-all.  It was a 54 (the 70's forgotten older brother) and someone had put a retro 70 3-pos safety sleeve on it which made it look for all the world like a 70 in the pics I had.  I do not believe the auctioneer listed in wrong on purpose.  I was fooled and I know plenty about them. 

I didn't pay a premium so I was more disappointed that it didn't live up to the hype I created in my mind, and I'm not unhappy that I've got it.  But.....it sure would have been cool to have a one off like that.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

he old 70s chambered in Bob are pretty scarce to begin with, and then factor in a non-standard factory barrel and that's a unicorn.  Hate that she got away.

Yeah.  Stinks.  Hopefully not a safe queen somewhere.  You can only hope it's bouncing around in the back of some truck with a guy that has no idea of it's past and uses it to pop yotes, rabbits, and pigs from his cab.  

Tools are meant to be used.  

I bought a Weatherby Orion. Not sure they make a. 20 but it's a pretty nice shotgun for the price and its purty

If you’re looking for a pre-64 Model 70 to use, try Shedhorn Sports in Ennis, Montana.  I was in there 3 weeks ago and they had a double handful of ‘em out on the racks.  Not pristine, used hunting guns, but generally pretty nice.  I’m not in the market, so I didn’t take notes on calibers, but they’d be my first call.  If you want an older hunting gun, best to go where the hunting was-few seem to understand how both whitetail and mulie populations have exploded in Texas over the last 40+ years-after the heyday of Winchester bolt guns.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

If you’re looking for a pre-64 Model 70 to use, try Shedhorn Sports in Ennis, Montana.  I was in there 3 weeks ago and they had a double handful of ‘em out on the racks.  Not pristine, used hunting guns, but generally pretty nice.  I’m not in the market, so I didn’t take notes on calibers, but they’d be my first call.  If you want an older hunting gun, best to go where the hunting was-few seem to understand how both whitetail and mulie populations have exploded in Texas over the last 40+ years-after the heyday of Winchester bolt guns.

Damn-  they have them alright ….. but no bargains there unfortunately.

That’s quite the assortment of calibers and some VERY collectible specimens.

Couple of Bobs, a Swift, a Hornet and even a 250-3000 Savage.  Also have a .300 win mag from ‘63.  1st year of that cartridge and last full year of production on the rifle before they cheapened the action.

Their buyer has a good eye or is one lucky SOB, and their sales team knows the going rate for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/4/2021 at 9:20 AM, Gale Snoats said:

Anything new from Academy would fit your needs, but the most important thing I would advise would be to hold some money back and take it to a gunsmith and have the stock fitted and adjusted. Very few people can accurately shoot a stock-dimension shotgun right out of the box, especially if they are taller or heavier than usual. This cannot be emphasized enough. 

I would generally recommend a Citori or Beretta but unless you intend to shoot 10,000+ rounds per year, most cheaper guns will hold up just fine. 

Here are some options for you. 

https://grabagun.com/cz-redhead-premier-22g-28-blk-wal.html

https://grabagun.com/browning-citori-725-field-black-walnut-20-gauge-26-inch-barrel-3-inch-chamber-2-rounds.html

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/browning-citori-cxs-20-gauge-over-under-shotgun-115122163?sku=20-gauge

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/yildiz-lineage-20ga-28o-u-shotgun?sku=20-gauge-28

This is the real bargain, FWIW. Don't be afraid to look for something used and order off the internet if necessary. It's very very easy to do. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902402238

All that being said, for the same amount of money, I would always recommend a semi-auto for hunting. I own a few $10,000+ O/U guns and my go-to field gun for dove and quail is still a 20 gauge Remington 1100. One advantage for someone in your situation is that the structure of a modern semi-auto lends itself to being self-adjustable with shims and thus more customizable without having to go to a gunsmith. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Anything new from Academy would fit your needs, but the most important thing I would advise would be to hold some money back and take it to a gunsmith and have the stock fitted and adjusted. Very few people can accurately shoot a stock-dimension shotgun right out of the box, especially if they are taller or heavier than usual. This cannot be emphasized enough. 

I would generally recommend a Citori or Beretta but unless you intend to shoot 10,000+ rounds per year, most cheaper guns will hold up just fine. 

Here are some options for you. 

https://grabagun.com/cz-redhead-premier-22g-28-blk-wal.html

https://grabagun.com/browning-citori-725-field-black-walnut-20-gauge-26-inch-barrel-3-inch-chamber-2-rounds.html

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/browning-citori-cxs-20-gauge-over-under-shotgun-115122163?sku=20-gauge

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/yildiz-lineage-20ga-28o-u-shotgun?sku=20-gauge-28

This is the real bargain, FWIW. Don't be afraid to look for something used and order off the internet if necessary. It's very very easy to do. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902402238

All that being said, for the same amount of money, I would always recommend a semi-auto for hunting. I own a few $10,000+ O/U guns and my go-to field gun for dove and quail is still a 20 gauge Remington 1100. One advantage for someone in your situation is that the structure of a modern semi-auto lends itself to being self-adjustable with shims and thus more customizable without having to go to a gunsmith. 

Great advice.  I always equate fancy O/U's to guys on the course playing blades.  For some, they really matter to the adept player.  For most, they're just "cool" and wind up doing worse had they just given in and went the Semi route (or larger cavity backs for irons).  

• Hook 'Em 1

Spent all of last week in the hospital with Covid thinking I was going to die.

Now I'm home and getting better all I want to do is get off my ass and go shoot something: clay targets, pigs, coffee cans. I don't care. 

Bought my uncle's ranch back in July and had plans to spend all of August working out there and moving ammo and guns. Instead, I'm sitting here struggling to breathe all day long. 

Gonna be a while. This sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Right on, glad you’re okay.  I’m one of those lunatics that thinks people should be allowed to make their own decisions…call me crazy!

Agreed. This was a risk I knew was possible and I drew the inside straight and got covid pneumonia and now I'm going to have to heal for a few weeks. It happens.

I was asked that question a lot in the hospital and to everyone's credit there, NO ONE judged. All the doctors and nurses were very respectful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/5/2021 at 8:45 AM, BabaYaga said:

Speaking of cool and unusual Model 70’s-  copied this from Pre64win.com social media.  Check out the pictures that accompany this story if you go to them on Instagram or Facebook.

Crazy-rare rifle in pristine condition

It has been said there are more faked “rare” Model 70’s than were ever produced in New Haven. So when someone unknown to us calls with 1942 M70 chambered in 9x57mm Mauser, it raises all kinds of red flags. Winchester claims to have produced 22 such rifles. And when the rifle turns out to not be a rifle at all, but a carbine, even more red flags go up. The man who contacted us was a Mississippi LEO, which helped at least alleviate the concern someone was intentionally trying to scam us. He had contacted @winchesterrepeatingarms and Winchester had referred him to us, so we agreed to a meeting in Atlanta to examine the carbine.  We flew into ATL and hooked up with @fieldethosjournal who was there to document our meeting with the seller. Our downtown hotel had a “no firearms” policy, so we examined the carbine in a back lot behind a random Atlanta dentist’s office (where else should a legitimate deal be done?). We performed a full dissection and forensic exam on the dentist’s back lawn and are satisfied the carbine is 100% authentic. If Winchester only produced 22 M70s in this chambering, less than a handful were carbines - this is indeed an authentic and ultra rare M70. For those of you interested in the authentication, we’ve included photos of a few key details to support our conclusions. We have a signed contract with the owner and are pleased to make  this rare Model 70 available. Please contact us through our website. Link in bio. #pre64win

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

Right on, glad you’re okay.  I’m one of those lunatics that thinks people should be allowed to make their own decisions…call me crazy!

I was going to blow you up for even asking the question. 😁

Spent all of last week in the hospital with Covid thinking I was going to die.
Now I'm home and getting better all I want to do is get off my ass and go shoot something: clay targets, pigs, coffee cans. I don't care. 
Bought my uncle's ranch back in July and had plans to spend all of August working out there and moving ammo and guns. Instead, I'm sitting here struggling to breathe all day long. 
Gonna be a while. This sucks. 

Crimson not sure where u are. Im in round rock, let me know if theres anything I can do.
Get well, brother

13 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Speaking of cool and unusual Model 70’s-  copied this from Pre64win.com social media.  Check out the pictures that accompany this story if you go to them on Instagram or Facebook.

Crazy-rare rifle in pristine condition

OK, damn you @Reagan1k, that site is awesome.  Saw my dream rifle.  A pre64 (obviously) M70 in 220 Swift with a Lyman Souer 15X scope.  

220 hits HARD and is a screamer.  4,000+ fps.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Just picked up a Sig P365X with the RomeoZero at Academy today while on my usual lunchtime ammo hunt. Gonna be my new EDC. Anyone have any IWB holsters with extra mag they recommend? Leaning towards going with Tier 1.  

If you like leather, the SOB Condom is amazing.  Former CAG operator is the owner.  Was mentioned by Dalton Fury in his Tora Bora books as he was one of the operators up on the mountain during the entire operation.  

SOB Holsters

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

OK, damn you @Reagan1k, that site is awesome.  Saw my dream rifle.  A pre64 (obviously) M70 in 220 Swift with a Lyman Souer 15X scope.  

220 hits HARD and is a screamer.  4,000+ fps.

I've sent several rifles to Justin there and he is incredible.  He'll work on any rifle - provided it is a Pre-64 Model 70!!!!!!

He'll do all kinds of cool things, from fully customized to restoring factory original parts and I mean all parts - down to the screws.  He is so precise and meticulous it borders on maniacal.

His website doesn't do justice to what he has at his disposal.  Got an action with a shot out barrel...He'll have or will find an original to replace.  Have a rifle with a replacement floor plate, butt plate, or sight - he'll have or find the "correct" and install it.   Send him a Featherweight and he may call you and tell you that someone put a standard floor plate on it 40 years ago and if you want the correct Featherweight floor plate, he has it.

I have to force myself not to buy shit just to see what he could do with it.  He's got a wealth of knowledge, resources, and is a good guy too....passionate about what he does. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Shrek doesn't look like a guy you'd want to fuck with.

Nope.  Not many former CAG guys you'd want to get into a tickle fight with.  Best situational shooters on the planet.  Bar none.  Period.  Friend of mine in LE, on the SWAT team worked with a former CAG shooter that works a lot with the FBI HRT teams...said they're like ninjas.  They just see and react so fast.  It's scary.  

57 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I've sent several rifles to Justin there and he is incredible.  He'll work on any rifle - provided it is a Pre-64 Model 70!!!!!!

He'll do all kinds of cool things, from fully customized to restoring factory original parts and I mean all parts - down to the screws.  He is so precise and meticulous it borders on maniacal.

His website doesn't do justice to what he has at his disposal.  Got an action with a shot out barrel...He'll have or will find an original to replace.  Have a rifle with a replacement floor plate, butt plate, or sight - he'll have or find the "correct" and install it.   Send him a Featherweight and he may call you and tell you that someone put a standard floor plate on it 40 years ago and if you want the correct Featherweight floor plate, he has it.

I have to force myself not to buy shit just to see what he could do with it.  He's got a wealth of knowledge, resources, and is a good guy too....passionate about what he does. 

Does he want an unpaid apprentice to get him coffee and let me be in the room when he works his magic?

Asking for a friend....

• Hook 'Em 1

Agreed. This was a risk I knew was possible and I drew the inside straight and got covid pneumonia and now I'm going to have to heal for a few weeks. It happens.
I was asked that question a lot in the hospital and to everyone's credit there, NO ONE judged. All the doctors and nurses were very respectful. 

They judged yo dumbass, fo sure.