The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

19 hours ago, davidg said:

Did I ever send you a link to this guy?  He did the Trinidad school and then apprenticed for Bailey Bradshaw for a while.  Custom  gun and stockmaker in Mineola.  Does really nice work above my price range.  Scroll through that FB page for some work examples.

I was gonna say that his work looks a lot like that custom gun maker in Diana, TX. Then I looked it up and saw that that gun maker is Bailey Bradshaw, lol.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

I may or may not have some 7.62x54R, steel case, non corrosive, that I wanna sell.  Where all should I post it?

Back during one of the Obama era ammo scares, I sold some Russian corrosive steel milsurp on Texas Gun Trader.  In retrospect I wish I had not sold it but I was broke-ish at the time and needed cash.  Anecdotal but I had like 3 offers within a day.  One of them wanted me to trade (even though I said no trades), one of them wanted me to drive half to the next nearest big Texas city to meet (even though I said I wouldn't meet outside of my city), and the last one being a simple "Yeah I want it, I have cash where do you want to meet?".  But yeah if you are in one of the four big metro areas I bet you'll get a lot of hits.  54R has sucked since the ban on the Russian milsurp.  It basically tripled in price over night.  This new ban on all Russian shit is going to suck.

I’m going to have to start hoarding shotgun shells apparently. Have a skeet shoot tomorrow and another one in a couple of weeks and there are no shells to be found around me. Academy got a pallet this morning and they were gone in 20 minutes. Gander is apparently getting out of guns at least locally and they had a new Silver Pigeon at a good price. Think I may have to pick that up before it sells.

Edited by Brew

This is what the SG Ammo guy wrote in his newsletter this week. I didn't realize how much in "western" calibers was being imported.

Standing outside the CD door, but not actually going in, I wonder if the Biden Admin might see this as a feature and not a bug. 

There has been a lot of people asking me about the sanctions on Russian ammo imports put in place by the US state department this past week and what it means for the future of ammunition supplies. There will be more clarity in several weeks when we can see the publication of a Federal Register notice expected on September 7, 2021. The state department announcement can be seen at this page - https://www.state.gov/fact-sheet-united-states-imposes-additional-costs-on-russia-for-the-poisoning-of-aleksey-navalny/

My Russian Ammo Sanction Opinion - First, I hope you don't 'shoot the messenger' and I'd like to pat everyone on the back and tell them things are going to be okay but that wouldn't be truthful. In my opinion the sanctions are a major game-changer in the ammunition supply chain that is already strained. For the time being and based on what we can see so far, we believe that this will be the effective end of Russian made ammo in the USA as it plays out over the next year or so as import permits expire or are filled to the quantity limits, and in doing so eliminate supply of a huge portion of the ammo in the US commercial market. From what I understand, the USA commercial market consumes around 800,000,000 rounds of ammunition from Russia every year, roughly 800 semi truck trailers worth in a mix of the most popular calibers. For the immediate short term we expect ammo to keep coming in from Russia but I expect the importers to raise prices substantially which is understandable to me given its the end of the lifespan for their business model. The calibers we believe will be most effected are soviet metric calibers like 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and 7.62x54R because there is almost zero available manufacturing capacity for these calibers outside of Russia and what little exists will not make a significant impact in filling the needs of the USA commercial market without Russian ammo absorbing the lion's share. In addition to these calibers, I estimate that the Russians supplied 30% to 40% of the 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger consumed at the shooting ranges across this country, and large portions of the 45 auto, 9x18 Makarov, 30 carbine, 308 Winchester / 762x51, 380 Auto, 300 Blackout and 6.5 Grendel. I see this as a potentially devastating blow to the supply for of 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger, where the reduction in supply from Russia will be difficult to make up in the short term for other manufacturers who have already been unable to keep up with demand this past year. Consumers who have used Russian ammo regularly will have to move on from Russian made ammo to those other products made elsewhere and in doing so absorb the supply and prolong recent shortages. Again this is my opinion, based on my knowledge of the industry after 20+ years experience, and how things play out over time could be different. For me, selling Russian made ammo is about 40% of my business, and while we plan to source as much supply as we can from other sources, we do expect this to have a major negative impact on supply for 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 5.45x39, 9mm Makarov, 9mm Luger, 223 Rem / 5.56 NATO, as well as the other mentioned calibers.

Just now, Brew said:

I’m going to have to start hoarding shotgun shells apparently. Have a skeet shoot tomorrow and another one in a couple of weeks and there are no shells to be found around me. Academy got a pallet this morning and they were gone in 20 minutes.

This close to dove season, I guess people will buy whatever they can find.

That said, all three of the Academy stores near me had several flats of Estate brand for sale in 12 gauge #7.5 and #8 the last time I was inside. And lots of individual boxes of Federal 20ga #8. 

I prefer #9 for skeet but #8 works in a pinch. 

21 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

This close to dove season, I guess people will buy whatever they can find.

That said, all three of the Academy stores near me had several flats of Estate brand for sale in 12 gauge #7.5 and #8 the last time I was inside. And lots of individual boxes of Federal 20ga #8. 

I prefer #9 for skeet but #8 works in a pinch. 

This last week there was pallets of heavy dove flats at academy.   Also plenty of estate, didn’t see any Rio. I’ve been buying a flat everytime I go (not often) getting ready for some/quail this year.  I do need to pick up some 20. 

2 hours ago, Brew said:

I’m going to have to start hoarding shotgun shells apparently. Have a skeet shoot tomorrow and another one in a couple of weeks and there are no shells to be found around me. Academy got a pallet this morning and they were gone in 20 minutes. Gander is apparently getting out of guns at least locally and they had a new Silver Pigeon at a good price. Think I may have to pick that up before it sells.

My local Walmart (Plano) had quite a bit of shotgun on Thursday.

I miss the days of the old City Coliseum gun shows.  Mosin Nagants for $50, SKSs for $75.

Remember one where I was asking around for a bayonet for my SKS.  One guys says, we don't have any bayonets, but we do have a bunch of "tent stakes", I said, OK, sell me a tent stake!

Did I just have a brain fart?  Thought I just read Mosin Nagant postings?

Edited by Horn_Spanker
Is it Happy Hour?

2 hours ago, TexasGary said:

My local Walmart (Plano) had quite a bit of shotgun on Thursday.

In TN where we are, there are none to be found. A few boxes of 4 shot and that is it. Gun guy at Academy said they haven’t kept any on the shelf longer than an hour or so for the last month or two. Found a buddy with some, going to have to look around next week to get ready for the next one.

On 8/26/2021 at 12:00 PM, davidg said:

Did I ever send you a link to this guy?  He did the Trinidad school and then apprenticed for Bailey Bradshaw for a while.  Custom  gun and stockmaker in Mineola.  Does really nice work above my price range.  Scroll through that FB page for some work examples.

Aaron Little is a very talented gunmaker.  I have seen his work.  If you want to go one step higher, Todd Rameriz is right up the road from Aaron in Alba.  Todd built a rifle for me years ago.  

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gun-killed-billy-kid-sells-211908437.html

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The gun that killed American Wild West outlaw Billy the Kid sold for more than $6 million at auction on Friday in Los Angeles, more than double the pre-sale estimate. 

Bonhams auctioneers said the Colt single-action revolver that Sheriff Pat Garrett used to take down Billy the Kid in 1881 was bought over the phone by a person who wished to remain anonymous. 

Bonhams, which described the gun as "the most iconic treasure of early Western history," said the $6.03 million price was a world record for any firearm. It had been expected to fetch between $2 million and $3 million. 

Billy the Kid was a wanted man in Arizona and New Mexico, killing eight men. After a monthslong pursuit, Garrett tracked him down to a ranch in Fort Sumner, New Mexico, and shot and killed him on July 14, 1881. Billy the Kid was 21 years old. 

The story of the 19th-century outlaw has been chronicled in pop culture for almost 100 years, including in movies such as "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" and "Young Guns." 

The gun came from the collection of Texas couple Jim and Theresa Earle, who amassed Western firearms and other artifacts for some 50 years. Jim Earle died in 2019. 

(cool video in article)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Yea you can back into a really nice AR for 11-1200 assuming you buy a top quality trigger and then go pretty standard on the rest of the equipment. 

So I’m not an AR guy. I’ve tried to understand them, the builds etc, and it just won’t attach to my brain.  But my brother, I’d guess he’s built/sold about 50 or so.  He built one for each of my girls when they were born.  Anything from PSA to KA, and currently he’s hung up on Geissele.  I’m fact he has everything except a hunting/long barrel type build. Plenty of pistol/short barrel stuff, and some really cool shit he put together when he was still doing the Sheriff dept thing. Anyhow, I was chatting with him yesterday  and he has a few Aero TX edition lowers sitting in his safe, and I’ve been hunting one for awhile. So this might be my push to put one of those together.  I need to get an understanding on the whole trust thing too, so I can pick up a few toys just in case that hole gets closed.  But every time im about to pull the trigger on a high end AR, I find a custom bolt gun I can’t live without.  I need to buckle down and order this today.  

• Hook 'Em 1

So I’m not an AR guy. I’ve tried to understand them, the builds etc, and it just won’t attach to my brain.  But my brother, I’d guess he’s built/sold about 50 or so.  He built one for each of my girls when they were born.  Anything from PSA to KA, and currently he’s hung up on Geissele.  I’m fact he has everything except a hunting/long barrel type build. Plenty of pistol/short barrel stuff, and some really cool shit he put together when he was still doing the Sheriff dept thing. Anyhow, I was chatting with him yesterday  and he has a few Aero TX edition lowers sitting in his safe, and I’ve been hunting one for awhile. So this might be my push to put one of those together.  I need to get an understanding on the whole trust thing too, so I can pick up a few toys just in case that hole gets closed.  But every time im about to pull the trigger on a high end AR, I find a custom bolt gun I can’t live without.  I need to buckle down and order this today.  

I’m a big aero precision fan. Great stuff at a nice price point.

Get a quantum handguard ….they’re the bees knees.

Get a good trigger and BCG

Buy lots of pmags and have fun. What caliber?
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I’m a big aero precision fan. Great stuff at a nice price point.

Get a quantum handguard ….they’re the bees knees.

Get a good trigger and BCG

Buy lots of pmags and have fun. What caliber?

It would be the Larue set linked above atop that Aero lower.   

ETA: apparently it wasn’t linked, I was just familiar as I’ve been watching and waiting for their ultimate build kits to come back into stock.  But this:

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper/

on top of this:

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-stripped-lower-texas

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 7:17 PM, ChickenNuggets said:

Anyone in the Austin area have a Ruger Super Blackhawk with bisley grips they are interested in parting with? There's a guy who will do custom work on these - Bowen Classic Arms - and I'm hoping to get a used super blackhawk for a reasonable price.

You mean like these? Pair of 45 Colts. Stainless with 45 ACP conversion cylinder.

Sorry to tease ... no longer have them.

Bisely Blackhawks.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, sith_horn said:

You mean like these? Pair of 45 Colts. Stainless with 45 ACP conversion cylinder.

Sorry to tease ... no longer have them.

Bisely Blackhawks.jpg

Nice - I've got the 10mm/.40sw combo and the .30 Carbine (I have no idea why other than why not).

Just checked out that site.  Nice work.

I spent the weekend in Colorado at the stockmaker's shop and we hammered out the details for the rest of my Martini build. The biggest hurdle that I have left is to source the sights that I have decided to use. There were thousands of these guns built and I figured that a tang mounted aperture rear sight would be easy to find. Not so. I just missed one yesterday on Ebay but it went a lot higher than I was expecting. A few hours googling didn't yield much but I do have a few leads to chase down. I'm looking for either a BSA No.8 or a Parker-Hale No.7 or 7 1/2. Both are contoured to match the shape of a Martini Cadet tang. Because it is an Austrailian gun I figure that I might have better luck checking shops down there. I know we have several Austrailian posters here but I'll be damned if I can remember usernames. Can anybody help me with that or better yet, does anybody have any old tang sights they would like to trade or sell?

38 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I spent the weekend in Colorado at the stockmaker's shop and we hammered out the details for the rest of my Martini build. The biggest hurdle that I have left is to source the sights that I have decided to use. There were thousands of these guns built and I figured that a tang mounted aperture rear sight would be easy to find. Not so. I just missed one yesterday on Ebay but it went a lot higher than I was expecting. A few hours googling didn't yield much but I do have a few leads to chase down. I'm looking for either a BSA No.8 or a Parker-Hale No.7 or 7 1/2. Both are contoured to match the shape of a Martini Cadet tang. Because it is an Austrailian gun I figure that I might have better luck checking shops down there. I know we have several Austrailian posters here but I'll be damned if I can remember usernames. Can anybody help me with that or better yet, does anybody have any old tang sights they would like to trade or sell?

There are so many various gun forums out there - have you tried that route?  There has to be a group of nostalgic fans that might be able to point you in the right direction.  Use a few for my pre-64 questions and tricks to compress the coils on an old '73 Bronco my friend and I restored.   

41 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

There are so many various gun forums out there - have you tried that route?  There has to be a group of nostalgic fans that might be able to point you in the right direction.  Use a few for my pre-64 questions and tricks to compress the coils on an old '73 Bronco my friend and I restored.   

Yeah, I'm active on a bunch of them. These sights are specific to the small Martinis and most folks that have them won't part with them, just in case they get another Martini. They are long out of production. I may end up making the contoured base and fitting something to it that is easier to find and more affordable. As long as I can produce something that looks elegant it will work. I'm not shooting for historical accuracy

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I know we have several Austrailian posters here but I'll be damned if I can remember usernames.

@staboner iirc. I’ve got several friends in Perth from my time over there, but 95% of them had never handled a firearm (they were tremendously interested in Americans firearm hobby).  Many of them had only fired a weapon while traveling here, on vacation.  

25 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

@staboner iirc. I’ve got several friends in Perth from my time over there, but 95% of them had never handled a firearm (they were tremendously interested in Americans firearm hobby).  Many of them had only fired a weapon while traveling here, on vacation.  

When I worked for Wichita Arms, we had an Australian importer. He sold some of our guns but even more of our shooting accessories. The Aussies know their way around a firearm if that was any indication.

I have found a sight at a gunshop in Newcastle, UK and staked a claim to it on their website. I'm still waiting to hear from them but they are closed for the day. Hopefully, tomorrow will bring good news.

9 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

When I worked for Wichita Arms, we had an Australian importer. He sold some of our guns but even more of our shooting accessories. The Aussies know their way around a firearm if that was any indication.

I’m sure plenty do. But for example, I’m mid 30’s. A lot of the guys I was there with grew up after the buy back/turn in deal. *If they had family with a ranch, then they had messed with O/U/pump guns. Maybe a bolt action rifle.  One of the older guys in the office was an ex-cop/military and he was still able to own a firearm, but had to do a bunch of shit to keep it iirc and it had to be out at their family ranch 8 hours away etc. He wasn’t anti-gun by any means, but you could tell it was a 2-3x a year thing for him, and I suppose you just lose interest if that’s the case.  Most of the guys younger than me weren’t against ownership, they just never even thought about it because it isn’t part of a city persons life there. 

Edited by fattyflattie

23 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

One more detail that I failed to mention is that I want the Charger model that has the pic rail on the back for brace mounting.

This one?

https://www.ruger.com/products/22Charger/specSheets/4935.html

or this:

https://www.ruger.com/products/22Charger/specSheets/4938.html

Edited by Armybrat

I really want this one, but if I found that one I'd buy it.
Ruger 22 Charger Rimfire Pistol Model 4938

I'm almost glad that there aren't any on Gunbroker right now because I might bite on any price.  I've got the fever.

https://www.alphapistoltraining.com/products/ruger-4938-736676049387-4938-4847

I’ve never used that place before but there you go
  • Hook 'Em 1

If you are prone to impulse, and love Model 70s....I implore you NOT to venture over to any of Pre-64Win.com social media pages.

He found a near perfect Featherweight in .358 that was made in the 1st year that Winchester rolled out that cartridge.

Original owner still had the 2/3 full box of Western Super X ammo he bought with it.  Looks like it was shot once and put in a time capsule.

Incredibly rare chambering, especially in a near perfect condition rifle.  The price of the rifle wouldn't be so bad if I was sure it wouldn't be immediately followed by divorce papers.

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

If you are prone to impulse, and love Model 70s....I implore you NOT to venture over to any of Pre-64Win.com social media pages.

He found a near perfect Featherweight in .358 that was made in the 1st year that Winchester rolled out that cartridge.

Original owner still had the 2/3 full box of Western Super X ammo he bought with it.  Looks like it was shot once and put in a time capsule.

Incredibly rare chambering, especially in a near perfect condition rifle.  The price of the rifle wouldn't be so bad if I was sure it wouldn't be immediately followed by divorce papers.

But pad scratched.  Would not buy.....;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Probably related.

CHIEF

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Probably related.

CHIEF

For sure.  Major part of the reason that rifle is so rare.  I think I have read they only produced about 200 of them.  

Not a rig anyone would want to do a lot of shooting with, but a helluva combination for 1950's version of today's mountain rifle that would span deer, elk, bear, and moose applications; especially in heavy cover.