The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

So the Goex Black powder plant announced they are ceasing operations today. They were the last US company making it. I just bought my first flintlock last week and hadn't gotten around to ordering any black powder for it (substitutes won't work for a flintlock) because you have to order like five pounds and pay a hazmat fee. Of course when the news broke there was a run on powder from all the online vendors and now it will probably be months before anybody even has any imported stuff available. So I guess it will just look pretty in the safe and I can just use my percussion rifle for muzzleloader season.

• Rage+1 2

13 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So the Goex Black powder plant announced they are ceasing operations today. They were the last US company making it. I just bought my first flintlock last week and hadn't gotten around to ordering any black powder for it (substitutes won't work for a flintlock) because you have to order like five pounds and pay a hazmat fee. Of course when the news broke there was a run on powder from all the online vendors and now it will probably be months before anybody even has any imported stuff available. So I guess it will just look pretty in the safe and I can just use my percussion rifle for muzzleloader season.

Secondary market options?  Guessing the prices will skyrocket, but at least there might be some availability?

• 2 weeks later...

They are both pretty light field guns, so they will both kick pretty good. Probably not something you want to shoot hundreds of rounds with all weekend.

Both are also pretty new models, so it's hard to say about reliability. 

Both companies are owned by Beretta, so service is probably pretty good for either, but not Beretta level. Both are also more known for SA's than OU's. 

If it were me and I had to choose between the two, I'd buy the Franchi and save $1000. Not sure what you are getting for the extra $$$ from Benelli except for the looks. 

I also think the Franchi is a lot prettier (love that POW stock), but that's personal choice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tequila said:

Anyone have a ShotKam? I do a lot of bird hunting most years, and bought one for my annual pheasant hunt. Curious if anyone has any experience or videos they’d be willing to share.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I have one. Only used it a couple of times because it makes the gun more heavy in front and it is a bit of a pain to get it set up and working each time. 

But I know a few people at the gun club who all use one and they all like it. 

It's pretty cool being able to see the shot cloud pass by your target. 

30 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:
16 hours ago, davidg said:
Option 3:  28” 725 Field 20 ga

original.img.jpg

How much that is?

Don’t know on the 20 Field. Briley’s in Houston is advertising a 725 field 28ga for $2300 and a 725 20 ga sporting for $2400 so I expect the 20 field to be in that range.  

ETA: They also list a Beretta 686 SP1 30” 20 ga for $2100.

Edited by davidg
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:
16 hours ago, davidg said:
Option 3:  28” 725 Field 20 ga

original.img.jpg

How much that is?

That's the thing about the Benelli. It's close to $3,000, which is more than similar competitor products like the 725 or the 686 (or the SLX). Me personally, I don't see the point of paying extra unless you just love how unusual it looks. To each his own. 

This seems like a screaming good deal to me.  I bought a PSA 18in 223 Wylde upper based on a recommendation on here years ago and it's "dead on balls accurate".  I don't have any practical use for an auto 308 right now and I am nonetheless tempted by this one. 

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen3-pa10-20-rifle-length-stainless-steel-lightweight-m-lok-moe-2-stage-rifle.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=daily_deals&utm_campaign=20211022&utm_term=morning&utm_content=51655106380

10 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

This seems like a screaming good deal to me.  I bought a PSA 18in 223 Wylde upper based on a recommendation on here years ago and it's "dead on balls accurate".  I don't have any practical use for an auto 308 right now and I am nonetheless tempted by this one. 

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen3-pa10-20-rifle-length-stainless-steel-lightweight-m-lok-moe-2-stage-rifle.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=daily_deals&utm_campaign=20211022&utm_term=morning&utm_content=51655106380

Might have been my PSA 223 Wylde rec, I made it here multiple times. It is definitely my most accurate AR. Easy sub MOA shooting with Hornady Match ammo. 

• Like 1

I like mouseguns.
Just got this Ruger .380 LCP Max (10+1) at Academy to replace my old LCP. Tritium sight with white outline.

4E12CAF4-F684-4D8A-9CC6-6798ACC802D7.thumb.jpeg.0aac3d6263151b3ef7ab191dc8370797.jpeg

Thinking about getting me that little LCP .380. At less than $250 seems like a no brainer?

I’m thinking it’s perfect to leave in the truck (when you have to) or for jogs/walks etc, seemed damn small in person.

It is perfect for those applications, but I’d get a little safe for your truck.

I originally paid $300 for my old LCP in 2008. Bought another one three years ago on sale for $170. Gave that one to my granddaughter.

paid $380 plus tax for the Max.

$250 for the LCP now is about as cheap as I’ve seen lately.

• Like 1

I picked up and LCP Max last weekend. Definitely more comfortable to shoot than my Gen 1 LCP.  Shot 100 rounds through it without issue. I was shooting low and left most of the time. Would like to practice more with it, but don’t feel like taking out a second mortgage on the home to be able to buy 380 ammo.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Had a very successful weekend on the reloading front. I finally found some H110 powder to go with my CCI 209M primers AND also finally found some Federal 209A primers to go with my Accurate 4100 powder. 

The end result is that by the end of this week I'll have enough components to reload about 12 flats of .410 #9 target loads for ~50 cents per round, which, considering the limited supply of factory ammo right now, would still be a bargain for twice the cost. 

I literally have been waiting almost 9 months to get the right combination of primers and powders for .410 loads and found both on the same weekend. Now let's hope they actually get delivered. 

Next up is hoping for AA 12 gauge #9 loads. I found some flats of AA 20 gauge #9 last week for the first time in over a year, so I'm hopeful the 12's are not far behind. 

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

The end result is that by the end of this week I'll have enough components to reload about 12 flats of .410 #9 target loads for ~50 cents per round, which, considering the limited supply of factory ammo right now, would still be a bargain for twice the cost. 

Fwiw I’ve bought a shitload over the last year at .56 rd at academy. Unless they have gone up since.  #7.5 and #9. 

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Fwiw I’ve bought a shitload over the last year at .56 rd at academy. Unless they have gone up since.  #7.5 and #9. 

#9 .410's? I admittedly don't go into the store in person all that often but I haven't seen that. 12's and 20's in #7.5 and #8, for sure. But not .410. 

Buy me some next time. LOL

Let me double check. Might be 8, but I specifically remember thinking I wouldn’t be able to hunt with it.  I was buying whatever they had .410 because one of my daughters is just getting to that size.   I do remember they were $14/box-ish.   And I passed on a bunch at Walmart before I thought about it then when I went back there was none left.  I’ve got a decent stock pile of 410 now, planned to dove hunt with it this year but then lol no. work said nah go to some other fucked up state for awhile instead. 

On 10/21/2021 at 6:43 PM, bigshark88 said:

. 538b73fdc06167cf9b1817147680856b.jpg

As @crimsonlonghorn said they are both owned by Beretta.  Just from the photo there are visible differences between the two.  I have a Beretta 686 Silver Pidgeon and the Franchi is closer to that with the Schnabel fore-end. mine has a flat bottom on the grip but I think I would like that rounded knob.  Reminds me of my dad's Browning Superposed.

That Benelli looks like the two barrels are not connected at all in the middle.  Not sure I like that.  

Quick glance makes it sound like there are special choke tubes for the Franchis so unless they rebranded Beretta tubes get all the ones you would want when you buy it.  Looks like it comes with 5.

On 10/22/2021 at 9:50 PM, bigshark88 said:

I have a Gen3 PA-10 and really like it.  I had to send it back for a over-gas problem but they fixed it in a week.  I bought the upper and lower separate and connected them at home.  Sounds like this one has a newer trigger offering.  Mine came with their EPT (Enhanced Polished Trigger) but I switched it out for a Larue MBT.  Upgraded the stock to an ACS and put a FFP scope on it.

• Like 1