The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

3 hours ago, Rumblefishstix said:

Gents,

I have returned, and I will have a bounty of pictures loaded up later tonight, but to catch your appetite I have two things to offer;

1. I recently came into possession of an International Harvester M1 Garand

2.I also recently came into possession of a 338 lapua

I may have a few other tricks up my sleeve later as well. 

Harvesting the souls of America's enemies from 1941-1953.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What are your Black Friday acquisitions?
So far I bought some accessories including a red dot and my first weapon light.

I picked up a Ruger American in 300 blackout for my 9yr old to shoot. Mounted a scope and suppressor and did some function checking yesterday, need to finish sighting in. Also picked up some Black Ovis and First Lite merino thermals for me and the wife.

1 hour ago, 686 said:

I picked up a Ruger American in 300 blackout for my 9yr old to shoot. Mounted a scope and suppressor and did some function checking yesterday, need to finish sighting in. Also picked up some Black Ovis and First Lite merino thermals for me and the wife.

Trijicon 5-50 riflescope. Will be in tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 11:54 PM, cabowabo said:

Get the paperwork filed on that bitch ASAP. 

Forgive my ignorance if you mean anything other than a tax stamp to SBR it, which I don’t plan on doing. 

I’ve gone back on forth regarding going full out tactical with KAC RAS hand guard, weapon light, red dot vs keeping it classic with just iron sight and stock handguard. 

strongly considering getting a binary trigger on it though, but that’s about 1k from HK Parts with the full plug and play model that has all the necessary components. 

16 hours ago, TexasEd said:

What are your Black Friday acquisitions?

So far I bought some accessories including a red dot and my first weapon light.  On the lookout for a Beretta 92

Almost bought a PTR 9CT that was finally under $1500.  Had to resist the temptation due to holiday gift shopping that is happening. 😒

Scheels also had a SilencerCo promotion going on with a free octance 9 or octane 45 suppressor with purchase of $799+.

Edited by speed817
spelling

On 11/23/2021 at 11:23 PM, fattyflattie said:

Everyone should own a 300wby, 270wby, and 257wby at a minimum.  Very cool present from the old man.  I usually switch out the old optics for modern, but keep them. I’ve got ALOT of stuff from the 60’s just lying around. 

Este.  They are just about all I shoot.  My 270 WBY is a super light custom made gun my uncle, who at times has more money than sense, had made 20 years ago.  It has a very nice Leica scope.

When he first got it and was shooting custom-made rounds, which were hotter than factory, the gun would lock up from the pressure and the bolt would stick for a few minutes.  He got made at the range and handed it to me, saying "take this piece of shit."  I was a young man with no money at the time and jumped all over it.

I went and bought factory loads and it performs beautifully with no issue.  I have several hundred rounds through it.  And have killed mule deer and big Red Stag with it.  I love that gun.  And it is what led me to buy a 257 and 300 WBY mags.

My next purchase is a Weatherby Mark V chambered in the 338 Lapua.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 2:35 PM, Rumblefishstix said:

1. I recently came into possession of an International Harvester M1 Garand

2.I also recently came into possession of a 338 lapua

I have an idea.  Stay with me on this....

If they can modify one for a .458 Win Mag, they can get it to work with Lapua brass

zkrzolvxh8aa.jpg

18 hours ago, 686 said:

I picked up a Ruger American in 300 blackout for my 9yr old to shoot.

Where did you pick this up?  My usual haunts are much pricier than any other caliber.  Checked a few other models and found a model 7 for 2k!   I'd much rather have a bolt action but can pick up a decent AR for $750 it seems.  Think I've settled in on this for the oldest daughter to get her ready for next season. 

Where did you pick this up?  My usual haunts are much pricier than any other caliber.  Checked a few other models and found a model 7 for 2k!   I'd much rather have a bolt action but can pick up a decent AR for $750 it seems.  Think I've settled in on this for the oldest daughter to get her ready for next season. 

Guns Galore in Killeen. They only had the one; I checked every shop within about an hours drive.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/25/2021 at 9:43 PM, 686 said:

That’s correct. Their Japanese and Filipino stuff is better than their Chinese stuff from what I’ve heard.

Swarovski Z3 or Zeiss might be a good fit; great glass for Dawn and Dusk.

94ec22f744b46736e75912f691d23c08.png

0809eae27dc137fb7ed2e4a4f83c427c.png

The Swarovski Z3s are assembled in the US with European glass I believe. The Zeiss Conquest is Japanese I believe.

So just to close this out, I ended up (after several different iterations) with the Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16 x 44.  So indeed, spent just about as much on the glass as the rifle.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 10:40 AM, fattyflattie said:

I went .257, then .270.  But yeah, they are some of my favorites.  Lately, been really getting into this little custom Sako 243 I bought.  But the .257 is always at camp with me, no matter what I plan to use that weekend. 

That 257 is a flat shooting laser beam. I have read that the 257 was Mr. Weatherby’s favorite cartridge.

4 hours ago, RMac5 said:

That 257 is a flat shooting laser beam. I have read that the 257 was Mr. Weatherby’s favorite cartridge.

If you want "close" ballistics and a cheaper caliber/box - take a gander at the 25-06.  With handloads it can equal the base (production) Weatherby, as-is, it is not that far off and a great, great round for whitetail.  

Este.  They are just about all I shoot.  My 270 WBY is a super light custom made gun my uncle, who at times has more money than sense, had made 20 years ago.  It has a very nice Leica scope.
When he first got it and was shooting custom-made rounds, which were hotter than factory, the gun would lock up from the pressure and the bolt would stick for a few minutes.  He got made at the range and handed it to me, saying "take this piece of shit."  I was a young man with no money at the time and jumped all over it.
I went and bought factory loads and it performs beautifully with no issue.  I have several hundred rounds through it.  And have killed mule deer and big Red Stag with it.  I love that gun.  And it is what led me to buy a 257 and 300 WBY mags.
My next purchase is a Weatherby Mark V chambered in the 338 Lapua.

He’s lucky he didn’t blow the damn gun up.

12 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

My brother and I built a dedicated AR upper for firing blanks on the fourth of July. May try to fire blanks in the air on 7/4 instead of the traditional mortars and Roman candles.

It's all fun and games until someone moves on from beer to the hard stuff.;)

giphy.gif

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

About to buy a new can and wanted input.

It will be used on a .223, 300 BO, and my 7 rem mag. So I am guessing getting my 7 threaded the same as the AR platforms. The 7 if you are unaware is sized at .284.

Anybody have one they swap calibers with that to could recommend? Yes I know the 223 will still be relatively loud.