The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

If you follow the baseball board, you may have seen the thread about my Dad passing last month. My brother preceded him two years ago and my BIL wants nothing to do with firearms, so basically I win I guess. Though sturdy, his two (one Remington, one Winchester) pump 12g are a bit rough but still usable. He never was much for deer hunting, but he did have a nice .243 that I was going to take, while my brother had claimed his Winchester 30-30.

The .243 has a nice maple stock with hand carved inlays. It is right-handed and though I mostly shoot left, I can shoot right also. The barrel is engraved Flaig Ace so if any of the officianados here know anything about that I'd appreciate it. I found one web source that said Remington and possibly Winchester used these barrels. Going through paperwork after his death, I found the hand written bill of sale for it and if my memory is right he paid $115 for it with the Weaver scope. I used it in high school and it shoots great.

The 30-30 was bought on a whim ( back when you could do that) in 1969. Dad and my uncle, after leaving an Astros game in the old Astrodome and after many beers there, went to a sporting goods store or passed by a gun store and the 30-30 was in the window. It was/is a commemortive edition for the golden spike being placed in 1869 when the trans-continent railroad linked up. My Uncle didn't have the $69 they were asking ( plus his wife might have shot him with it if he had brought another rifle home) so he convinced my Dad to purchase it. Pretty sure it doesn't even have 100 rounds through it. They both need some cleaning I know, but wanted to share.

And No, they won't be sold. At least not by me.

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

If you follow the baseball board, you may have seen the thread about my Dad passing last month. My brother preceded him two years ago and my BIL wants nothing to do with firearms, so basically I win I guess. Though sturdy, his two (one Remington, one Winchester) pump 12g are a bit rough but still usable. He never was much for deer hunting, but he did have a nice .243 that I was going to take, while my brother had claimed his Winchester 30-30.

The .243 has a nice maple stock with hand carved inlays. It is right-handed and though I mostly shoot left, I can shoot right also. The barrel is engraved Flaig Ace so if any of the officianados here know anything about that I'd appreciate it. I found one web source that said Remington and possibly Winchester used these barrels. Going through paperwork after his death, I found the hand written bill of sale for it and if my memory is right he paid $115 for it with the Weaver scope. I used it in high school and it shoots great.

The 30-30 was bought on a whim ( back when you could do that) in 1969. Dad and my uncle, after leaving an Astros game in the old Astrodome and after many beers there, went to a sporting goods store or passed by a gun store and the 30-30 was in the window. It was/is a commemortive edition for the golden spike being placed in 1869 when the trans-continent railroad linked up. My Uncle didn't have the $69 they were asking ( plus his wife might have shot him with it if he had brought another rifle home) so he convinced my Dad to purchase it. Pretty sure it doesn't even have 100 rounds through it. They both need some cleaning I know, but wanted to share.

And No, they won't be sold. At least not by me.

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

Flaigs was a gunshop in PA that did alot of barrel and trigger work post WWII.  I’ve got two flaig rifles, a .243 sako with their trigger job, custom stock, and a heavy Douglas barrel.  I also have a super heavy barreled flaigs 6.5-06 long range target rifle, with a big time custom stock and one of their triggers built off a Mauser. They were a very reputable gun shop.

I’m sorry to hear about your father, hope all is well. 

eta @686 has a sick Flaigs weatherby.  I believe he knows some background on them as well. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 2

Picked up the CZ Shadow 2 this week. I’ve been a CZ fan for a while. They have great breaking triggers and all just aim well for me. This one is no different and is better than any I own.

CZ 75 BD
CZ 75 compact
CZ P10c and now this beauty.
7ea96ac7dae012939d4a1357785e6f2c.jpg

Pics with some safe neighbors for scale

Colt 1911 gov
CZ S2
Sig 226 MK25
cc9c2805b632afd991837ced259e0fb2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I have been waiting for this for what feels like forever. I’ve been able to pick up a lot of ammo during this crunch, but none of it being the deadliest mushroom in the woods. 

You shoulda checked yo PMs back in Nov when you was hunting 30-30.

BF0F65E9-7B29-4740-8409-FD0E918C68EE.jpeg

1 minute ago, davidg said:

You shoulda checked yo PMs back in Nov when you was hunting 30-30.

BF0F65E9-7B29-4740-8409-FD0E918C68EE.jpeg

I saw it and am just terrible at returning them for some reason. Inexplicably bad actually. Then I saw your great preparation and said no way I can grab shells off that guy.  I do appreciate your offer in PM. I ended up finding some just recently. I’ve got several rifles that actually prefer the core lokts so I hope they come back soon. 

On 1/8/2022 at 10:20 PM, TwiceHorn said:

That raises the question.  Are Remington guns any good anymore?  Marlin is now effectively kaput, but was any of the Remington production worth a shit?

What passes for a Winchester apparently is made by FN and Miroku, so those are pretty decent to really nice, I'd guess.

Not really, which is why they filed for BK in 2020 - ironically when gun sales were soaring. Much of that gets into their lawsuits, but also how they have been capitalized/debt, Cerberus shenanigan's, etc.  But back to products:

They don't have an identity anymore.  They missed both the 1911 and AR wave.  Neither of their products are particularly that good and there are vastly better options at the same price point for both.  Rifles?  Entry level maybe, but the quality of the 700 as a semi-top end rifle has too many inconsistent issues.  Their entry level rifles, again there are generally better options.

Shotguns?  I have an old 870 which is still made, but what else? 

• Hook 'Em 2

That raises the question.  Are Remington guns any good anymore?  Marlin is now effectively kaput, but was any of the Remington production worth a shit?

What passes for a Winchester apparently is made by FN and Miroku, so those are pretty decent to really nice, I'd guess.

Not really, which is why they filed for BK in 2020 - ironically when gun sales were soaring. Much of that gets into their lawsuits, but also how they have been capitalized/debt, Cerberus shenanigan's, etc.  But back to products:

They don't have an identity anymore.  They missed both the 1911 and AR wave.  Neither of their products are particularly that good and there are vastly better options at the same price point for both.  Rifles?  Entry level maybe, but the quality of the 700 as a semi-top end rifle has too many inconsistent issues.  Their entry level rifles, again there are generally better options.

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Dammit.....sorry for the triple post.  

Mea Culpa

Yeah but good on you for answering the question.  I danced around it by saying which companies I like/trust for shotguns better than Remington but you actually laid out that their current production is not good.  I don't own or shoot any so no first hand accounts by me.  I knew people with Remington shotguns that hated them and really did want to throw them in the lake.

It kinda started with the trigger problems and they never recovered.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Yeah but good on you for answering the question.  I danced around it by saying which companies I like/trust for shotguns better than Remington but you actually laid out that their current production is not good.  I don't own or shoot any so no first hand accounts by me.  I knew people with Remington shotguns that hated them and really did want to throw them in the lake.

There will be IROCs and case studies in grad school on them.  They danced with the PE/VC Devil and got burned.  It went back to excessive debt and leverage, acquisitions, and then a divergence from their core competency of production, innovation, and quality.  

Their legacy 700 rifle production series is just not worth the squeeze.  Case in point - good friend is on a SWAT team in AL.  He can get whatever he wants (guns and ammo).  We went shooting and on the rifle range, had a 700 and a Tikka.  Both are semi-customized to some extent.  The Tikka is his primary, as his feedback is consistency in accuracy.  

The infamous Remington "flyer" is his main point.  Out of a group, you'll have all cluster, then have one that can be off 1-2 inches.  Sort of like this below:

What Causes Fliers? – The Curse of the Precision Shooter | Tactical Rifle  Shooters

11 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I knew people with Remington shotguns that hated them and really did want to throw them in the lake.

If I want a basic pump gun - I'm getting a Benelli Nova, Browning BPS, or a Mossberg.  If I want a better semi, then it's Browning Maxus, Beretta A400, or Benelli.  Would you take an 1100 over these options?

If I want to thread the middle, then you have Stoeger and Franchi.  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

If I want a basic pump gun - I'm getting a Benelli Nova, Browning BPS, or a Mossberg.  If I want a better semi, then it's Browning Maxus, Beretta A400, or Benelli.  Would you take an 1100 over these options?

I would change the order a little for me but not the list.  I had the same group in my post above.

On 1/8/2022 at 10:52 PM, TexasEd said:

I think the Beretta group (Benelli, Franchi, Stoeger, etc) makes the best high production shotguns. Browning is up there and I like Mossberg. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

I would change the order a little for me but not the list.  I had the same group in my post above.

No order, sorry for not clarifying.  I like Beretta personally - but between then and Benelli it comes down to a preference on the inertia recoil system (whether you prefer or not)?

17 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Nothing wrong with the 870 Wingmaster my dad bought 40 years ago, nor the 700 BDL my son bought at the same time (although son did put in a quality trigger on the .30-06 after the recall a few years ago).

Their old stuff was great.  The concern is the newer items are suffering from QC issues.  I have an old 870 as well.  Love it.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

The infamous Remington "flyer" is his main point.  Out of a group, you'll have all cluster, then have one that can be off 1-2 inches.  Sort of like this below:

That could very easily be fixed with a barrel.  There are some tremendous custom guns built off the 700 action.  I’ve got a 7 that I really like, but other than that have always enjoyed a Model 70 better than the 700, so that’s what I’ve collected.  I do like some old BDLs, when they had really good blueing. The senderos are pretty impressive with very minimal work. Same with the sps(iirc?) line that was out a few years ago. 

Also, I didn’t know people actually bought mossberg stuff?  I’ve been around a few, and every single one was an absolute pile. No offense to the Mossberg owners, they’re still in business so I can only assume they’ve gotten better over the last 20+ years. Back then they were better served as a paddle for your duck boat.  

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

That could very easily be fixed with a barrel.  There are some tremendous custom guns built off the 700 action.  I’ve got a 7 that I really like, but other than that have always enjoyed a Model 70 better than the 700, so that’s what I’ve collected.  I do like some old BDLs, when they had really good blueing. The senderos are pretty impressive with very minimal work. Same with the sps(iirc?) line that was out a few years ago. 

Also, I didn’t know people actually bought mossberg stuff?  I’ve been around a few, and every single one was an absolute pile. No offense to the Mossberg owners, they’re still in business so I can only assume they’ve gotten better over the last 20+ years. Back then they were better served as a paddle for your duck boat.  

It could, but these are production guns off the shelf sold to buyers that aren't keen in barrel and trigger swaps (for the most part).

I'd club a baby seal for a clean, 25-06 sendero.  They are phenomenal.  Like I said, it's the new stuff that is "meh"

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I would try bedding it first. All of the bolt guns I have left are either 700s or 98 Mauser actions. I haven't had a factory 700 in all my time that I couldn't make shoot and it usually was a bedding or trigger issue. I have purchased several Ebay 700 takeoff barrels just to hang on an empty action for my kids and all of them have been shooters. Maybe I've just been lucky.

9 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I’m not a shotgunner so I don’t have more than a half dozen guns to compare it to, but the A400 Xcel I borrowed for sporting clays a while back cycled incredibly well. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, TexasEd said:

I mean, the 870, the 11-87, and they still made 1100s for clays I think.  The 700, M40 variants.  Used to have a nice spread of .22.

They should have skipped pistols all the way.  Same with black rifles, I imagine.

Fucking private equity.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Back in my day, which was before your day by a bit, Mossbergs were cheap, tactical pump guns and some decent, utilitarian bolt action .22.  One of the main features/drawbacks of their pump design was just one rail on the slide, which was subject to bending and binding with rough use.  No nice furniture at all.

I think they have, in fact, gotten quite a bit better.  The 500 model put two rails on the slide like it should have been, and they've been improving all along.  They have a much larger model lineup than I have ever seen from them, including what appear from a distance to be some nice guns, although most of it is tactical.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’m not a shotgunner so I don’t have more than a half dozen guns to compare it to, but the A400 Xcel I borrowed for sporting clays a while back cycled incredibly well. 

If you have the cash that is the one to get (any of the A400s).  The A300s are great too.  I have an older model that predates those called an A391 Xtrema 2.  I love it and while it is a 3.5" chamber most people are good with the 3" chambers.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

They are nice. Buddy’s has an issue with some lighter loads but that’s not uncommon with sa’s.  I’ve been thinking about picking one up in 20, but it’s still down the list a bit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, cabowabo said:

New addition to the safe.
3c2f7d10ea749125011a51142b0ed342.jpg

16 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Steyr Aug with a Trijicon and a can.

And a partridge in a pear tree.  As a lefty, I have obvious issues with them, but god damn they are smooth!

*How's the trigger?  Heard differing opinions.

It looks like the ejection port would be right under the nose/cheek of a right hander and a lefty is getting some shots to the temple.

• Hook 'Em 1

And a partridge in a pear tree.  As a lefty, I have obvious issues with them, but god damn they are smooth!
I am a lefty too. I had to buy a left hand bolt (got the Rat Worx one for $100 instead of the Steyr for $250). Have not had any hiccups after 100 rounds. I did make the mistake of having my thumb on the gas port while shooting it with the foregrip folded on a tripod. I won't make that mistake again. It's not the quietest suppressor host, and my Keltec RDB is a better shooting bullpup, but this gun is sexy as hell and I had to have one.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TexasEd said:

It looks like the ejection port would be right under the nose/cheek of a right hander and a lefty is getting some shots to the temple.

Yeah, lefty shooters have issues with bullpup designs.  Why the PS90 is so cool - as it ejects spent brass straight down from the bottom of the rifle.  

12 minutes ago, cabowabo said:
52 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I am a lefty too. I had to buy a left hand bolt (got the Rat Worx one for $100 instead of the Steyr for $250). Have not had any hiccups after 100 rounds. I did make the mistake of having my thumb on the gas port while shooting it with the foregrip folded on a tripod. I won't make that mistake again. It's not the quietest suppressor host, and my Keltec RDB is a better shooting bullpup, but this gun is sexy as hell and I had to have one.

All children of the 70's and 80's who grew up watching Die Hard have a hard on for MP5's and AUGs

post-30200-die-hard-thumbs-up-gif-Imgur-

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Condolences on the loss of your father, nice that he he passed down some heirloom pieces. Regarding the Flaig’s rifle, take the stock off sometime and look at the markings on the underside of the barrel, it will probably say Douglas or Premium; Flaig’s generally used European actions (Sako, FN, etc) with Douglas (of West Virginia) barrels. Douglas barrels are/were well regarded. What action is your rifle? Also, a tip, when you take the stock off: I like to put some tape over the blade of the flathead screwdriver I’m using to avoid any marring of the bluing on the action screws. It’s also a good time to clean and rust-protect the bottom of the barrel and action while you have the stock off.

The combination of the high end European actions, Douglas barrels, custom hand carved stocks (usually by Flaig’s), and master gunsmithing made for some very nice rifles. They also had some of their own innovative items (trigger shoes, etc).
  • Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, 686 said:

Also, a tip, when you take the stock off: I like to put some tape over the blade of the flathead screwdriver I’m using to avoid any marring of the bluing on the action screws. It’s also a good time to clean and rust-protect the bottom of the barrel and action while you have the stock off.

Buy a set of hollow ground screwdrivers for working on firearms.  You can still bugger up the screwheads even with tape.

51os9N3qdIL.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, 686 said:

Condolences on the loss of your father, nice that he he passed down some heirloom pieces. Regarding the Flaig’s rifle, take the stock off sometime and look at the markings on the underside of the barrel, it will probably say Douglas or Premium; Flaig’s generally used European actions (Sako, FN, etc) with Douglas (of West Virginia) barrels. Douglas barrels are/were well regarded. What action is your rifle? Also, a tip, when you take the stock off: I like to put some tape over the blade of the flathead screwdriver I’m using to avoid any marring of the bluing on the action screws. It’s also a good time to clean and rust-protect the bottom of the barrel and action while you have the stock off.

The combination of the high end European actions, Douglas barrels, custom hand carved stocks (usually by Flaig’s), and master gunsmithing made for some very nice rifles. They also had some of their own innovative items (trigger shoes, etc).

Appreciate the condolences and the tips on the rifle. I'll have to check on the action, but remembered after posting the OP, that the bill of sale listed it as a Mauser, (FN maybe?). Which at first glance I almost tossed as I thought , "Dad didn't own a Mauser", but looking at the rest of the description knew that it was for his .243. I'll have to take apart to see about the barrel. Plus go back to my mom's and find the receipt and make sure I keep that too.

Again, Thanks for your input. 

• Like 1

Appreciate the condolences and the tips on the rifle. I'll have to check on the action, but remembered after posting the OP, that the bill of sale listed it as a Mauser, (FN maybe?). Which at first glance I almost tossed as I thought , "Dad didn't own a Mauser", but looking at the rest of the description knew that it was for his .243. I'll have to take apart to see about the barrel. Plus go back to my mom's and find the receipt and make sure I keep that too.
Again, Thanks for your input. 

It may be of FN manufacture, but in a refined Mauser design/style; so lots of old gun people would call it a “Mauser”, even though its not built by Mauser.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 686 said:

It may be of FN manufacture, but in a refined Mauser design/style; so lots of old gun people would call it a “Mauser”, even though its not built by Mauser.

I have a Post-War FN Magnum Mauser action that I put a 7mm Rem on. Very smooth and superbly finished. It came with the military style safety in 1948 that had to be upgraded for scope use and I'm pretty sure I got the new style safety from Flaig's. They were a pretty good source for stock blanks and refined hardware back in the day. My Dad and I visited the shop in the early 70's. They couldn't have been nicer and took us back where the sausage was made. The smell of Hoppe's and walnut was intoxicating.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Picked up a little LCP to carry with minimal trouble.

Anyone have experience with these clips?

I’m sure there’s risks of the clip getting stuck to clothing etc. But I’m trying to avoid a holster if I can if I’m trying to keep the lowest profile possible…thoughts?
3b32d985a178b7051d21241d8a3bef93.jpg
e80652081f359383eb850746d0352ba8.jpg

8 minutes ago, texas08 said:

Picked up a little LCP to carry with minimal trouble.

Anyone have experience with these clips?

I’m sure there’s risks of the clip getting stuck to clothing etc. But I’m trying to avoid a holster if I can if I’m trying to keep the lowest profile possible…thoughts?
3b32d985a178b7051d21241d8a3bef93.jpg
e80652081f359383eb850746d0352ba8.jpg

I put one on my LCP.  Honestly, I continued to use the pocket holster when I would carry that gun.  The problem is there is no trigger guard on that carry method which makes me nervous.  I had bought one of these which I guess makes the unguarded trigger safer, but I never used it.

https://www.amazon.com/Garrison-Grip-Micro-Holster-Trigger/dp/B079HC2CFL

Edited by cabowabo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Agree about the trigger guard. Biggest benefit to me of a good holster is securing the weapon.  Especially if you are thrown to the ground.  Trip and fall.  Get in a wreck.  Get into a shoving match with some goon.  Etc.

I'd use that on quick trips to/from the store, especially during the summer when wearing less clothes.  In the winter securing a good holster and concealing it well is much easier.  

Have you fired it with the clip on the side?  Any issues?

• Like 1

Yeah, the clip idea would be for the quick grocery trips while I’m wearing running shorts and a tshirt or something like that.

I guess I’ll have to get a holster as well. Y’all made me nervous about the unguarded trigger with this type of carry method.

I wonder if it can still be holstered with the clip installed.

Definitely need to cover that trigger in a pocket! Keys, knife, chapstick, or anything placed within your pocket, let alone your hand to retrieve it - not good.

Multiple vendors sell “pocket holsters” and some make them specifically for the LCP. I use one made by DeSantis. It also does a pretty good job of not “printing” while seated. I also try not to put anything else in that pocket, except for maybe a money clip, which also aides in not printing. CHL holder for roughly 15 years.

• Like 1