The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Gun Jesus got access to a handheld rail gun.  Bullet doesn’t touch the barrel

One of my dad's degrees is in electrical engineering.  He watches Forgotten Weapons almost as much as I do, but hadn't seen this.   I messaged him the video.  

Half an hour later, he responds "you know, it wouldn't be that hard to make if you skip the fancy stuff they added to sell it commercially.  They are just cutting up metal dowel rods for their rounds, and you only need a few indicator lights for it being charged, and how much battery is left.  You can stick a little thermometer somewhere to track the barrel temp, but it shouldn't get too hot since I'd be using single shot - I'm not going to use a magazine since I'd have to build a whole feed mechanism for it.  You just need to be able to slide a round in the back of the barrel, and I found where you get the capacitors for fairly cheap."

If he actually builds this, it's either going to be an awesome post for this thread, or an awesome post for "Stupid shit relatives do" or whatever.

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Gun Jesus got access to a handheld rail gun.  Bullet doesn’t touch the barrel.

so it was firing at 70 meters per second which is about 230 fps or less than 1/10th the velocity my .30-06 rifle sends out a projectile.  So interesting concept and assume it will be viable some day but right now it's like building your own home computer was back in the early 1970s.

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

so it was firing at 70 meters per second which is about 230 fps or less than 1/10th the velocity my .30-06 rifle sends out a projectile.  So interesting concept and assume it will be viable some day but right now it's like building your own home computer was back in the early 1970s.

Pretty much.  The rifle.…infrastructure, for lack of a better word, is 3D printed with off-the-shelf parts like the barrel, capacitors, etc. and is proof-of-concept.   

I’m guessing they are looking for DARPA funding.  They need to improve the recharge time and have an aerodynamic round.  

10 hours ago, Parliament said:

From what I've read, quality is very good.  Definitely better than what those aholes at Remington were turning out.

Yeah I get that, but was Marlin actually having quality issues pre-Ruger?   I’ve never been a Marlin guy but my understanding was they always built solid guns.  Just curious as I’ve seen both pre/post for sale and they mention it as a selling point.  Personally, I would think you’re golden either way, but didn’t know if Marlin quality had skipped or something. 

They had serious quality issues pre-Ruger.  The big consortium that owned Marlin, Remington, etc moved production of all the brands to one place in GA or TN.  Botched all the brands they owned.  Even Advanced Armament Corp.  AAC pretty much established the civilian silencer market, and they killed them.

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm not familiar with that caliber.  Is that lever action only like 30-30? 

Old school round 70 grns black powder and 45 cal bullet vs .30 cal bullet and 30 grns smokeless powder in the 30-30.  Now imagine the 45-70 with newer smokeless powder and increased pressures over the black powder versions and better designed modern bullets.  Perfect medicine for taking out oilfield security guards/rapists and pretty much anything else on this continent.

picture-of-30-30-vs-45-70-govt.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, davidg said:

Old school round 70 grns black powder and 45 cal bullet vs .30 cal bullet and 30 grns smokeless powder in the 30-30.  Now imagine the 45-70 with newer smokeless powder and increased pressures over the black powder versions and better designed modern bullets.  Perfect medicine for taking out oilfield security guards/rapists and pretty much anything else on this continent.

picture-of-30-30-vs-45-70-govt.jpg

I think Rip needs one of those on the Yellowstone ranch.

Took two of my kids to the range to shoot.22s and I am a proud dad. Followed all safety rules and shot well. Daughter was a natural and son did great after adjusting to the three shots that were high. They even got to see an adult man get yelled at by the RSA during a cease fire. 

2EDF9971-D82C-4039-8571-643424F1104A.jpeg

EAC0E327-5A70-4F75-A175-569DA1833C1B.png

AAA9D8C4-7089-451A-BFB7-140C277342D2.jpeg

54A6F947-E01B-4184-974D-B937D2305DB6.png

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Excellent shootin’. A cousin of Mrs. Brat used to be a range officer at that Garland range decades ago.

Cool looking 10/22.

We were in Leander, the targets have both names on them.  Yeah, that 10/22 is cool and was a gift from a guy I took shooting and he could not take it with him when he moved out of the country.  Perfect for younger shooters since it has collapsible stock.  Both were really good about taking his finger off between shots and shooting it more like the measured shots with a bolt action.  That Savage bolt action is a tack driver.  If any of them get into shooting sports that might be their first rifle without the scope.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Took two of my kids to the range to shoot.22s and I am a proud dad. Followed all safety rules and shot well. Daughter was a natural and son did great after adjusting to the three shots that were high. They even got to see an adult man get yelled at by the RSA during a cease fire. 

2EDF9971-D82C-4039-8571-643424F1104A.jpeg

EAC0E327-5A70-4F75-A175-569DA1833C1B.png

AAA9D8C4-7089-451A-BFB7-140C277342D2.jpeg

54A6F947-E01B-4184-974D-B937D2305DB6.png

This is the way!

• Hook 'Em 2

@TexasEd how old are the kiddos?  My oldest is 9 and she’s been shooting a little custom 10/22 target rifle I have for the last 2 years.  At the end of the first day she had all 10 in the size of a nickel at 70 yds, and I knew she was going to be hooked. Since then, she has put I don’t know how many thousands of rounds down the barrel since. Haven’t started my middle (7 yo) quite yet. She’s not as into it, or ready I don’t believe.  I ordered and received a bolt action 300BO  for the oldest as she was not a fan of AR.  Going to get that one ready for her this weekend so me can move up a bit in recoil/range etc.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/12/2022 at 11:50 PM, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I get that, but was Marlin actually having quality issues pre-Ruger?   I’ve never been a Marlin guy but my understanding was they always built solid guns.  Just curious as I’ve seen both pre/post for sale and they mention it as a selling point.  Personally, I would think you’re golden either way, but didn’t know if Marlin quality had skipped or something. 

Decent video that compares a new Ruger made 1895 and one from 2017.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

@TexasEd how old are the kiddos?  My oldest is 9 and she’s been shooting a little custom 10/22 target rifle I have for the last 2 years.  At the end of the first day she had all 10 in the size of a nickel at 70 yds, and I knew she was going to be hooked. Since then, she has put I don’t know how many thousands of rounds down the barrel since. Haven’t started my middle (7 yo) quite yet. She’s not as into it, or ready I don’t believe.  I ordered and received a bolt action 300BO  for the oldest as she was not a fan of AR.  Going to get that one ready for her this weekend so me can move up a bit in recoil/range etc.   

I have four children.  The two with me Sunday were the youngest, 12 girl and 8 boy.  They had shot BB guns and 22 at beer cans but this was the first time with paper targets at the range.  We did a 45 min safety briefing before we left home and they passed all aspects at the range.  After I did things for them once they had to clear the rifles for cease fire, reload, set safety, etc.  It was really a test of them being more responsible in a more stressful place and following the rules than just messing around for 5 minutes at a friend's place in the country. I also wanted to acclimate them to the other guns going off a the range so we were at the end of the pistol range instead of next to a 300WSM or AR with flash suppressor on the rifle range.  They sat behind me when I shot my .30-06 a few times.

On technique, I showed them the right way to squeeze the trigger instead of pull it and they were getting better by the end but each only had about 30 shots.  I told them about breathing to improve accuracy but it was up to them if they were ready to incorporate it.  I could see my daughter struggling with holding the rifle still and was shooting it when it was moving as opposed to holding so I talked to her about that and she fixed it. 

I will encourage them to work on grouping them tighter.  Daughter asked if she should change her point of aim to get them in the white circle and I said no, aim at the same spot every time and let the bullets make a ragged hole where they impact.  Next time out the wind may blow the other direction and it could be somewhere else. I'll teach her about correcting for wind later.

I think they will want to go back or set up something at friend's ranch and shoot more accurately in the future.  I love to put holes in paper and want them to learn this too.

I've never shot a 300 BO.  I have a 98 Mauser sporter in .257 Roberts that may be the next gun up for my daughters.  Ammo is not common but it is a good middle range caliber and was my second rifle when I turned 10. I've thought of getting a .243 and still may do that since the .257 Roberts has a 50s vintage scope.  Older daughter has shot one of my 5.56 ARs and likes it but prefers the .22 bolt action.  I think they like the routine of racking the bolt between shots.

Seems strange to be getting my son ready to hunt at 8, I shot my first deer at 5, but I was at the lease/ranch with my dad all the time shooting as a boy.  I could get permission to do that at a friend's place only 45 minutes away and I may do that over the summer but it is smaller than the ranch I hunted as a kid so I don't want to scare off the game.  I think my high school age daughter would want to hunt too.  I need to check on that again. 

Edited by TexasEd

21 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I have four children.  The two with me Sunday were the youngest, 12 girl and 8 boy.  They had shot BB guns and 22 at beer cans but this was the first time with paper targets at the range.  We did a 45 min safety briefing before we left home and they passed all aspects at the range.  After I did things for them once they had to clear the rifles for cease fire, reload, set safety, etc.  It was really a test of them being more responsible in a more stressful place and following the rules than just messing around for 5 minutes at a friend's place in the country. I also wanted to acclimate them to the other guns going off a the range so we were at the end of the pistol range instead of next to a 300WSM or AR with flash suppressor on the rifle range.  They sat behind me when I shot my .30-06 a few times.

On technique, I showed them the right way to squeeze the trigger instead of pull it and they were getting better by the end but each only had about 30 shots.  I told them about breathing to improve accuracy but it was up to them if they were ready to incorporate it.  I could see my daughter struggling with holding the rifle still and was shooting it when it was moving as opposed to holding so I talked to her about that and she fixed it. 

I will encourage them to work on grouping them tighter.  Daughter asked if she should change her point of aim to get them in the white circle and I said no, aim at the same spot every time and let the bullets make a ragged hole where they impact.  Next time out the wind may blow the other direction and it could be somewhere else. I'll teach her about correcting for wind later.

I think they will want to go back or set up something at friend's ranch and shoot more accurately in the future.  I love to put holes in paper and want them to learn this too.

I've never shot a 300 BO.  I have a 98 Mauser sporter in .257 Roberts that may be the next gun up for my daughters.  Ammo is not common but it is a good middle range caliber and was my second rifle when I turned 10. I've thought of getting a .243 and still may do that since the .257 Roberts has a 50s vintage scope.  Older daughter has shot one of my 5.56 ARs and likes it but prefers the .22 bolt action.  I think they like the routine of racking the bolt between shots.

Done the same with mine.  Started on a .22 lever-action and 10/22, then graduated to my 22-250 on the range at 50 and 100yds.  

The .257 "Bob" is a great round.  I'm in the process of getting my old g-fathers that he bought back in the 50's.  The .243 is perfect for smaller shooters, especially with reduced recoil loads.  You can even use a .223 with a tighter twist rate (1:8 or 9) that will stabilize 60-70gr pills.  These work fine for smaller deer and other animals.  You can also mitigate a lot of the felt recoil by offsetting the weight of the gun.  Heavier options like wood stocks, bipods, heavier barrels, etc help tame much of the push as well.  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Done the same with mine.  Started on a .22 lever-action and 10/22, then graduated to my 22-250 on the range at 50 and 100yds.  

The .257 "Bob" is a great round.  I'm in the process of getting my old g-fathers that he bought back in the 50's.  The .243 is perfect for smaller shooters, especially with reduced recoil loads.  You can even use a .223 with a tighter twist rate (1:8 or 9) that will stabilize 60-70gr pills.  These work fine for smaller deer and other animals.  

Yep, every deer I shot between 5 and 10 was with a .223 bolt action with sawed off stock and shortened and recrowned barrel my dad had made for me.  I was the #1 doe killer on the lease.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Fixed 4x Weaver?

Lyman Challenger I think it is 3x.   Until this year the only variable magnification scopes I owned were on the 22s and an AR because that was all I could buy.  The .257 Roberts has 3x, my 1965 Browning 30-06 had a Leupold Mk4 4x and my 1970s MkV Deluxe 270 Wby Mag had a Burris Fullfield 6x.  My eyesight is getting worse and the glare was washing out the sight picture on the 30-06 so I had to get a new scope.  The Weatherby had bad glass marks (Burris replace the lenses) but I bought the wrong scope for the 30-06 the first time so it got new glass too.

FN 98 Mauser.

20f218b3.thumb.jpg.3de17248aebbe1ebb95db774b26763f1.jpg 738b1e2d.thumb.jpg.30ae0c52f297d641397b2530537bd4a4.jpg

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

The .257 "Bob" is a great round. 

I'm watching one right now.  Really want to, but have some other things in the fire. But what a cool old round. 

@TexasEd mine haven't been out to a proper range yet.  I look at the roof at American and see literally hundreds and hundreds of .30 holes in the tin and decide I'm not ready for that yet (with the kid).  Mine is too small for a .243, for sure.  300BO is so low recoil (with can).  It's a "bro" gun imo, but looks like it will be perfect for teaching the little ones.  I really wanted a .222 for them, but haven't been able to find the right one yet and this will be a good stop gap. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I'm watching one right now.  Really want to, but have some other things in the fire. But what a cool old round. 

@TexasEd mine haven't been out to a proper range yet.  I look at the roof at American and see literally hundreds and hundreds of .30 holes in the tin and decide I'm not ready for that yet (with the kid).  Mine is too small for a .243, for sure.  300BO is so low recoil (with can).  It's a "bro" gun imo, but looks like it will be perfect for teaching the little ones.  I really wanted a .222 for them, but haven't been able to find the right one yet and this will be a good stop gap. 

I really like a can with a kid so you can talk them through the shot.  Most blind/feeder shots are under a 100yds anyway, so the 300 is a really good option.  Friend's kid both came out to our place a few years back and took their first deer.  Kid used his dad's 300 AR shorty with a can.  Just whistled under my breath the famous words "must be nice"

We did get to shoot it later at the house.  Popping large rocks on the other side of the stock tank.  You can hear how loud they slapping into rocks.  

Gave my Dad crap for coming into town and not bring it.  "Bob" was my g-fathers and it's been collecting dust in his closet....:(

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

"Bob" was my g-fathers and it's been collecting dust in his closet....:(

My dad was the first in the family to hunt.  His grandfather immigrated to San Antonio by himself at age 13 to be a baker (eventually saved enough to bring rest of family over) and his father grew up doing that job.  Up early to make bread and pastries means no time for hunting. 

My dad was the first to have the luxury of time to go hunting and so all the weapons I inherited are only that far back in the family. The FN Mauser and the 270 Weatherby Mag were the two rifles I inherited from my dad (Mauser was really already mine since I was 11).  Dad's Remington .30-06 was stolen by my step-sister's boyfriend. I bought the '65 Browning because it was something he would have bought and would have been a good pair for his '65 Browning Superposed that I was supposed to get as the only one that hunted birds but another brother got that one (Dad had 5 sons).  Dad told me the story about how the Superposed was for sale used and he went to Frost Bank to get a loan for to buy it.  I think he said it was $70 used in the early 70s but not sure.

Last thing I shot other than paper with the .257 Roberts is a boar in Medina County back around 2008.  I've only shot paper with the Weatherby because of the scope problems but that is addressed now just overkill for anything in central Texas.  If I was in South Texas or Kansas I might take it for the longer shots or larger deer.  My dad bought that rifle for the only trip I remember him taking out of state to hunt when he got a Pronghorn in Colorado.  He did get a Mulie in West Texas once.

Edit: Found a picture of the Superposed in a case.  I know I have a picture of the Pronghorn mount but it must be on a drive that is offline.

superposed001.jpg.923998f7a315b5bb66c6fa4b247e5144.jpg

IMG_1296_zps16d24acb.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

All this 45-70 talk inspired me to go out and shoot mine this past weekend at the ranch. That thing leaves a mark on a steel gong at 100 yds. 

Thinking now about putting a red dot on it. The iron sights are a little bit annoying, TBH. 

Sat next to a guy @ the range years back that was lobbing his big 45-90 shells.  Very much like Quigley.  Rifle had to weigh 14-15lbs.  Just massive.  He'd open the breach and the barrel was like a giant pipe that you could see light coming through.  Super cool.  

Read up they make shells up to 45-120.  Then you get into the .50 rounds like the 50-110

Bought it for $800, fkn steal of a price. When I walked in to the pawn shop a dude was looking at it, I couldn’t tell what it was but knew it was something I would be interested in. He handed it back to the employee and walked off. I went and looked at it in the glass case and bout shit my pants when I saw what it was. Then I saw the $800 and did shit my pants, I will post up in the 2022 shart thread later. It’s in great shape too, has a little holster wear but nothing bad at all, especially for a 50 year old gun.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1