The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 4/1/2022 at 6:51 PM, dcbc said:

Question for the experts.  I've got a pretty sizeable "arsenal" of my late dad's, ranging back to the 1940s.  I don't really shoot much these days, but I have a weird need to keep some of them.  But I'm considering selling off some.  What's the best way to go about that to maximize the cash received on my end? 

There aren't any muzzleloaders or black powder guns in this collection by any chance are there?

I don’t know why Ruger puts the Blackhawk size grip frame on the two shorter barrel Super Blackhawks instead of the standard dragoon frame.
When I bought the 5.5” SBH a few years ago, my little hands didn’t like the feel of the smaller grip, so I ordered  the longer Hunter grip frame from Bownell’s. It worked a lot better for me, plus I like the silver black panels too.

F23057BC-0368-4392-A29D-C80694AEBC09.jpeg

C66D76DF-6229-4153-BC43-966ED00DC915.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

There aren't any muzzleloaders or black powder guns in this collection by any chance are there?

Yes.  1982 (?) Thompson/Center Seneca Cap Lock Black Powder Muzzle Loader .45 Cal. (I think). Never fired.  Still has the hang tags on it.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've had some very nice people reach out with some interest and there are some ongoing conversations, but after checking with immamac on actually saying the words "sell gun" on this website, I'll throw this out there to the Surly Militia to see who might be interested.  This is not a "need to sell" situation, but I can be reasoned with (some exceptions to that noted below).  So if you have any interest, message me.  I've got pictures.  I'm no gunsmith, but I'll be honest to a fault about what I can observe about condition.  Other than the 1911a, to my knowledge, these are all single family (my dad, then I) owned guns. 

No Best Buy coupons, and since these are more practical than tactical, none have HDMI ports.  I'm not a FFL holder.  So apart from the T/C Seneca, this is for in-person sale in Texas only.

In no particular order:

1940 Winchester .270 Model 70 (USA) SN 34370

1950 Winchester Model 94 30-30 (has plate for offset scope; not sure if I can locate the scope; has iron sights still) SN 1,732,461

1956 Winchester Model 42 .410 Shotgun, SN 122125 (bring your wallet)

1966 Weatherby .270 Magnum (W. Germany) SN P15324 (Dad's name plate on the butt of the pistol grip; I would like to keep this feature if removable/replaceable)

1977 Remington Model 1100 .410 Shotgun Date Code “LO” SN L245243H

1984 Remington Model 1100 20 Gauge Special Shotgun (shorty) Date Code “AE” SN N897187K

1982 (?) Thompson/Center Seneca Cap Lock Black Powder Muzzle Loader .45 Cal. SN 222659

(never fired, with tags)

Late 70s/Early 80s Universal Firearms M1 Carbine w/ 30 capacity magazine

Early 80s Ruger Mini 14 with 40 and 20 capacity magazines

Things I'm planning to keep, but could be talked out of for stupid money:

1944 Army issue Colt .45 Automatic (Lend/Lease)

1953 Browning A-5 12 Gauge Automatic (Belgium) (Dad's initials engraved on side plate).

Things I'm keeping because they probably aren't worth a ton of money and I like them (but I mention them anyway just because):

Late 1960s Browning FN Trombone .22 Pump Rifle SN 138448

1948 Winchester Model 12 Ga Shotgun with mountable Nydar sight SN 1176500

Charter Arms .38 snub nose Police Special

There's a ad in the "For Sale" Forum.  If anyone has any questions, head that way so we don't threadjack this thread any more than I already have.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, dcbc said:

1940 Winchester .270 Model 70 (USA) SN 34370

1956 Winchester Model 42 .410 Shotgun, SN 122125 (bring your wallet)

These are EXCELLENT firearms. 

Blue Book value on the .270 (assuming 95% quality) is $1925.

On the Model 42, it's $2500 for solid rib barrel, and $1475 for the plain barrel. You can add 30% if it is chambered for 2.5" shells. Long story short, I wouldn't be surprised if you could sell the Model 42 for 5k if it's in really good condition. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

What city are you located in?

I might have an interest in the Win. Model 94 .30-30, and the Ruger Mini 14.

Pics would be nice.

I'm in Tyler, but I frequently am in Houston/Austin/Dallas.

I didn't want to litter the thread with pics and have people wondering which was which (the pictures aren't labeled).  But here's a link to the album.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6y52cwvo9RiM6HtN7

5 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Put me behind Mr. Brat as having an interest in the 30-30. 

Thanks.  I have a counteroffer to one person already, who was ahead of armybrat, but best to message me for anyone after that so I can keep them straight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

I wanna see the trombone pump .22.

I'm bad at taking full pictures.  Most are lots of closer up shots.  Here's as much of the trombone as I got in one frame.  This one has the most worn stock of any of them. 

22.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

That Model 42 is beautiful. Unless you want to sell it to me for $2k, don’t take less than $3500. 

My grandpa gave me one just like that(with solid rib) in 1956. It has had maybe 50 shells fired through it.. my youngest grandson will inherit it soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

That TC Seneca would be a great rifle for anyone interested in trying a traditional muzzleloader out for extending deer season. It looks like it is a 1 in 48" twist, so it should shoot round balls and shorter conicals well. It should be good for out to 75 to 100 (depending on the load you have worked up and your ability to shoot it) yards for deer with round ball, farther with conicals. Those are very sought after rifles right now, and this one still has the tags on it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Armybrat said:

My grandpa gave me one just like that(with solid rib) in 1956. It has had maybe 50 shells fired through it.. my youngest grandson will inherit it soon.

My .22 has had quite a few more than that fired through it and has bounced around in more golf carts and jeeps than I can recall.  I think the last time I shot it, I hit a little mo-ron bird on branch at the the top of a tall tree in some heavy wind gusts.  When I looked the list to sell, it was the first one that I labeled "keeper."

@dcbc That’s a nice collection.  Takes me down memory lane with the firearms I inherited from my father.

Keep the 1911 and the A5, regardless if you are offered stupid money.

I appreciate you sharing the details and the photos.  Every single one of those firearms is/was a memory for someone, and you can’t say that about very many things in life.  It’s one of the reasons I love this thread.

Edited by solamente73
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, solamente73 said:

@dcbc That’s a nice collection.  Takes me down memory lane with the firearms I inherited from my father.

Keep the 1911 and the A5, regardless if you are offered stupid money.

I appreciate you sharing the details and the photos.  Every single one of those firearms is/was a memory for someone, and you can’t say that about very many things in life.  It’s one of the reasons I love this thread.

Thanks.  I have lots of memories associated with each of them.  Lots of good times out at our ranch and on hunting trips as a kid. 

32 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Nice!

So I’m uninformed on the HK91/ptr91 setups/lengths but why the pistol brace on what looks to be a 16” barrel?

Easier to swing out of a truck window & anything you can do to lighten up (weight wise) a 91 is a welcome modification.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, midtown said:

So my son wants me to buy an AK.  Anyone want to give me a few suggestions.  They have two at my local shooting range.  $1000

$750 - in stock and free shipping: https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/277357

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/category.cfm/sportsman/ak-47-rifles

AK variants should not be $1000.  There is not a worldwide shortage of AK variants... never will be.  Now... if he wants something from Izhmash / Kalashnikov, it might cost more, since they're no longer available for import to the USA.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Snacks said:

$750 - in stock and free shipping: https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/277357

AK variants should not be $1000.  There is not a worldwide shortage of AK variants... never will be.  Now... if he wants something from Izhmash / Kalashnikov, it might cost more, since they're no longer available for import to the USA.

Whats the difference between the VSKA at $879 and WASR-10 at $534? @Snacks

22 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I remember getting them for less than a hundred bucks, covered in grease, right out of the box. 

Thats interesting you say this.  I have an old British Enfield 303 that was a gift.  I've shot it for fun for many years but was never very accurate.  I found out that a friend of mine from HS is a gun smith.  I found out by shipping a shotgun to him since he has the FFL license and while I was paying and he was taking down my DL information he figured out we went to HS together and so now I have a fair and trustworthy person to take my firearms to.   So I take him my Enfield for a thorough cleaning and adjustment and he tells me that whoever owned it before never cleaned out all the grease from when it was stored after WWII.   They did just enough for it to fire.   I had no idea how they just covered the entire crate of rifles in grease to store them.  Stock and all. 

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Don’t get a VSKA and I’d probably just avoid Century arms completely.

If you want a lifetime warranty on an AK get a PSA ak

I’ll be honest when I went down this hole, I ended up with a Galil. Lol

Give me the "why" on Century...  I get the same feedback about Taurus handguns (I have five that run great and have never had a problem...)

58 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Agree but Weller 12 should only be $25

• Rage+1 2