The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

23 minutes ago, texas08 said:

I always laugh at all the gifting armybrat does….every story is about a gift he made! Lol.

I wonder if that’s just just version of a “boating accident”.

He’d need another 5 safes if not.  Also, there’s something to be said for enjoying the giving and moment, even if that gun would have ended up in the same hands eventually.  I love reading it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

He’d need another 5 safes if not.  Also, there’s something to be said for enjoying the giving and moment, even if that gun would have ended up in the same hands eventually.  I love reading it. 

Good friend.  His dad has a place outside Jackson Hole.  SIX large gun safes.  He mainly has old western pieces.  But his collection is insane.  Like a pair of first generation colt's with sequential serial numbers.  Worth a fortune.  Every grandkid gets their own original Colt in .22lr with matching papers and a velvet lined wooden box to hold them.  Pretty sweet.  

• Like 1

Emailed Joel Etchen guns about the difference between the two silver pigeon models referenced above. This was their response:

The only mechanical difference between the new models (with rounded laser checkering) is they have Optima Bore HP barrels vs the signature model having Mobil barrels.”

anyone of you know anything about either of these barrels?

32 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

Emailed Joel Etchen guns about the difference between the two silver pigeon models referenced above. This was their response:

The only mechanical difference between the new models (with rounded laser checkering) is they have Optima Bore HP barrels vs the signature model having Mobil barrels.”

https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/mobil-bore-vs-optima-bore.215012/

Long story short, for your purposes, probably nothing.  They are apparently slightly lighter (Optima) in OU.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

I’m not sure If there is any difference in the barrels themselves unless it’s a different ejector design or something like that.

Optima HP is Beretta’s latest iteration of choke tubes and mobilchoke is their original choke tube design. 

Edited to add that neither choke design is better than the other. The original mobilchokes were flush and came out back before extended tubes became a big thing. When Beretta came out with their own extended chokes, they took the opportunity to redesign them altogether and move the threads. 

Most aftermarket major choke makers sell both flush and extended chokes for either design, so either one is probably fine for what your needs. I’m a big fan of Briley and have Briley chokes in all of my guns, including both Optima HP and Mobilchoke guns. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I’m not sure If there is any difference in the barrels themselves unless it’s a different ejector design or something like that.

Optima HP is Beretta’s latest iteration of choke tubes and mobilchoke is their original choke tube design. 

Edited to add that neither choke design is better than the other. The original mobilchokes were flush and came out back before extended tubes became a big thing. When Beretta came out with their own extended chokes, they took the opportunity to redesign them altogether and move the threads. 

Most aftermarket major choke makers sell both flush and extended chokes for either design, so either one is probably fine for what your needs. I’m a big fan of Briley and have Briley chokes in all of my guns, including both Optima HP and Mobilchoke guns. 

Yes, there is a difference in the choke tubes, from what I read, but people don't seem to be lathered up about that much.

The main thing with Optima seems to be that the forcing cone is much longer than Mobil and the bore is 0.020 bigger.  It's supposed to yield better patterning with steel (and all) shot.  Apparently, on the OU, the bore walls are a little thinner as a result.  As was pointed out in the link, I think, if you find a patterning problem with any kind of barrel, you can probably fix it with a choke tube.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yes, there is a difference in the choke tubes, from what I read, but people don't seem to be lathered up about that much.

The main thing with Optima seems to be that the forcing cone is much longer than Mobil and the bore is 0.020 bigger.  It's supposed to yield better patterning with steel (and all) shot.  Apparently, on the OU, the bore walls are a little thinner as a result.  As was pointed out in the link, I think, if you find a patterning problem with any kind of barrel, you can probably fix it with a choke tube.

Something that .005% of the shooting population would notice. And that .005 aren’t shooting 687’s. 

On 2/4/2022 at 6:14 PM, Fat Bastard said:

Optima is newer and has a better cone. 

On 1/10/2022 at 11:22 AM, BabaYaga said:

If I want a basic pump gun - I'm getting a Benelli Nova, Browning BPS, or a Mossberg.  If I want a better semi, then it's Browning Maxus, Beretta A400, or Benelli.  Would you take an 1100 over these options?

If I want to thread the middle, then you have Stoeger and Franchi.  

The older 870s were excellent. The ones made for the past 15-20 years were trash. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Nice! Looking forward to a range report.

I hit the range sundays. I stripped both down and lubed it up with the Wilson combat lubricant it came with. The cliffs notes are Some good some bad on both.

WC EDC X9 ~100 rounds.
Accuracy was good. I got some good groups at 7yd and still hit center mass at 15yd

The Trigger felt great, light and good break. I tend to jerk the trigger more than I do on some of my other pistols.

Reliability: this was irritating. A couple of failure to feed. I felt the cycling of the slide more than I usually do with other steel pistols. The slow cycling could be weak old ammo, could be tight fitment and stiff spring. Either way I’ll get a few hundred more rounds before I judge.

WC 7 yards. 1st mag middle, 2nd mag lower left. 3rd upper left.
11015032be2d04d402cb3236ccd18d26.jpg

Dan Wesson. ~120 rounds.
Accuracy was noticeably better. At 7 yards I had some tight ragged holes, at 15 yards still tighter than the WC.

Trigger similar to the WC. Great 1911 trigger. Light and crisp break with a short reset. I didn’t have the jerking issue.

Reliability: one stove pipe. A handful of failure to feed. I did use a bunch different mags I had lying around. Chip McKormick, Dan Wesson, Colt, some others. I didn’t have the slow cycling like with the WC but the ammo in the old mags had been there for probably a few years.

WC 7 yards.
8374f25935cad58805bea24cf74eaa65.jpg

15 yard. The cluster in the middle are the .45 rounds from the Dan Wesson

The rest were the WC
9bd6b32f73642a0e786e199609cb02b1.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GottaB said:

I hit the range sundays. I stripped both down and lubed it up with the Wilson combat lubricant it came with. The cliffs notes are Some good some bad on both.

WC EDC X9 ~100 rounds.
Accuracy was good. I got some good groups at 7yd and still hit center mass at 15yd

The Trigger felt great, light and good break. I tend to jerk the trigger more than I do on some of my other pistols.

Reliability: this was irritating. A couple of failure to feed. I felt the cycling of the slide more than I usually do with other steel pistols. The slow cycling could be weak old ammo, could be tight fitment and stiff spring. Either way I’ll get a few hundred more rounds before I judge.

WC 7 yards. 1st mag middle, 2nd mag lower left. 3rd upper left.
11015032be2d04d402cb3236ccd18d26.jpg

Dan Wesson. ~120 rounds.
Accuracy was noticeably better. At 7 yards I had some tight ragged holes, at 15 yards still tighter than the WC.

Trigger similar to the WC. Great 1911 trigger. Light and crisp break with a short reset. I didn’t have the jerking issue.

Reliability: one stove pipe. A handful of failure to feed. I did use a bunch different mags I had lying around. Chip McKormick, Dan Wesson, Colt, some others. I didn’t have the slow cycling like with the WC but the ammo in the old mags had been there for probably a few years.

WC 7 yards.
8374f25935cad58805bea24cf74eaa65.jpg

15 yard. The cluster in the middle are the .45 rounds from the Dan Wesson

The rest were the WC
9bd6b32f73642a0e786e199609cb02b1.jpg

Function problems might be the mags, the next function problem I have with my Valor (DW mags that came wit the firearm) will be the first.

33 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

The older 870s were excellent. The ones made for the past 15-20 years were trash. 

I have a 40 year old 870 Wingmaster with a blued barrel and fixed modified choke. Shot it for years on dove hunts in my younger days. It's solid and pretty. 

Also have a 870 Express with a rough matte barrel and cheap wood and remchokes that I won in a raffle. Feels like it's going to come apart every time I shoot it. 

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I have a 40 year old 870 Wingmaster with a blued barrel and fixed modified choke. Shot it for years on dove hunts in my younger days. It's solid and pretty. 

Also have a 870 Express with a rough matte barrel and cheap wood and remchokes that I won in a raffle. Feels like it's going to come apart every time I shoot it. 

It all depends on how old it is. I have a maybe 25-30 year old 870 Express same description as yours. It is an excellent firearm. Sturdy, reliable and well made. At SHOT Show a few years ago I looked at the 870 line they had and they were all crap. They made Mossberg look like Krieghoff. Plastic safeties, thin stamped metal receivers. Just crap. Really too bad. 

Don't even get me started on the 11-87. What an abortion.

7 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

It all depends on how old it is. I have a maybe 25-30 year old 870 Express same description as yours. It is an excellent firearm. Sturdy, reliable and well made.

Same.  Has been a tremendous gun with thousands of shells run thru. Never a hiccup that was guns fault (I would shoot rusty shells if I needed to way back when). 

7 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

They made Mossberg look like Krieghoff. Plastic safeties, thin stamped metal receivers. Just crap. Really too bad. 

I say gotdamn, that’s a description. Sad. Ugh. 

Both pistols are more accurate than my ability. I have a feeling I’ll burn off a big chunk of my ammo breaking these two in and working on my ability.

Right now, my favorite is the CZ shadow which I had a better range trip with.

7yd6fb7f28bb5d17b5ed9585982ad1f82aa.jpg
06ce694b6741ab9fb3ed14db7280d130.jpg

I was at reds Sunday morning breaking in a P30.

That CZ is the best shooter you got I bet. Fabulous gun.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have tried to love the Wilson EDC platform but have not been able to.  I bought one when they first came out and shot it a lot.  Had too many failure to feed properly so I sent it back to Wilson.  They worked on it, sent it back and I burned more ammo.  Still was having a few FTF so I sold it and moved on.  Got the itch again while sitting around in late 2020 and ordered another one from Wilson.  This one with an RMR, suppressor height sights, etc..  Very accurate gun, but had 5 FTF in first box of 50.  Super annoying.  Called Ken in customer service, who by the way is a great guy and will bend over backwards to solve an issue, and he said the platform has some tight chamber tolerances and shoot a couple more hundred rounds.  I brought five different brands/weights and let them rip.  Took pictures of every FTF and there were some from each brand.  Sent them to Ken and his advice was to send back.  Got it back a week later, took to range and had a couple FTF in the first box.  That was it for me.  Boxed it up, took it to my favorite gun store and they bought it for a little less than I paid.  This was during the peak of hysteria and they had no ammo, no guns, nothing to sell so they were willing to pay a premium  to have something in the case.

I like the idea of the EDC platform with no grip safety, 15 rounds, new rail system that allows greater reliability(?), semi custom features, etc...  I have just had bad luck it seems.  Good luck to yours and I hope it works great.

I shoot a lot and expect mine to run.  I have  Glock 19 and 30S that I carry frequently.  Clean every few thousand rounds whether they need it or not, shoot them every week and never have an issue.  I have a couple of custom 1911s that I also shoot weekly and rarely clean them.  I do keep them heavily oiled and I believe the slurry helps polish the contact points and increases reliability.  Never have an issue with either one.  

I am getting the itch for the new SFX9 with flat trigger, RMR, etc...  What can I say, it's an illness.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Handcruser said:

I was at reds Sunday morning breaking in a P30.

That CZ is the best shooter you got I bet. Fabulous gun.

Every single person that has had a CZ Shadow in their hands has raved about them.  Damn near everything CZ makes is awesome.  SO impressed with virtually their entire line - from pistols, to rifles, to shotguns, and even AR platforms.  

44 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

but had 5 FTF in first box of 50.  Super annoying

That's a hard pass.  Not trusting my life or my family to a that.  Statistically, IF you have an encounter, it will be measured in a matter of a few feet.  Accuracy is the least of your concerns (not that it's a bad attribute, but lower on my priority scale).  I have range queens for that.

45 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

I like the idea of the EDC platform with no grip safety, 15 rounds, new rail system that allows greater reliability(?), semi custom features, etc...

The EDC discussions can be a deep rabbit hole to go down, but as stated, it boils down to preference.  I want small, reliable, and decent capacity so I (being a Sig fanboy) went with the 365 with a capacity of 12 and another 12rd mag just in case.

If I were to graduate to a larger, more expensive option I'd probably look at Glock variants - specifically Shadow systems (War poet or MR920).  There are so many great options to choose from these days the manufacturers have to be on their toes.  

19 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I inherited one of those from my dad, but passed it on to my son who bird hunts once in a while. 
It is very nice quality for such a mass produced shotgun. Too bad Remington slacked off after the turn of the century.

I have tried to love the Wilson EDC platform but have not been able to.  I bought one when they first came out and shot it a lot.  Had too many failure to feed properly so I sent it back to Wilson.  They worked on it, sent it back and I burned more ammo.  Still was having a few FTF so I sold it and moved on.  Got the itch again while sitting around in late 2020 and ordered another one from Wilson.  This one with an RMR, suppressor height sights, etc..  Very accurate gun, but had 5 FTF in first box of 50.  Super annoying.  Called Ken in customer service, who by the way is a great guy and will bend over backwards to solve an issue, and he said the platform has some tight chamber tolerances and shoot a couple more hundred rounds.  I brought five different brands/weights and let them rip.  Took pictures of every FTF and there were some from each brand.  Sent them to Ken and his advice was to send back.  Got it back a week later, took to range and had a couple FTF in the first box.  That was it for me.  Boxed it up, took it to my favorite gun store and they bought it for a little less than I paid.  This was during the peak of hysteria and they had no ammo, no guns, nothing to sell so they were willing to pay a premium  to have something in the case.
I like the idea of the EDC platform with no grip safety, 15 rounds, new rail system that allows greater reliability(?), semi custom features, etc...  I have just had bad luck it seems.  Good luck to yours and I hope it works great.
I shoot a lot and expect mine to run.  I have  Glock 19 and 30S that I carry frequently.  Clean every few thousand rounds whether they need it or not, shoot them every week and never have an issue.  I have a couple of custom 1911s that I also shoot weekly and rarely clean them.  I do keep them heavily oiled and I believe the slurry helps polish the contact points and increases reliability.  Never have an issue with either one.  
I am getting the itch for the new SFX9 with flat trigger, RMR, etc...  What can I say, it's an illness.  

EDC is a misnomer on this one for sure. It’s purely a range gun for me. I wanted a 9mm 1911 style target shooter with higher capacity. Your experience sucks, I hope mine smooths out. I really want to like this gun.

As for carry, no way. It’s heavy and not reliable. Perhaps the tight tolerances are to blame but very not cool. I’ll keep oiling it up and take it each range trip.

As for carry, Glock, CZ P10c or sig 938 here. Hell, I have a couple Bersas that I would carry before this one. I can count on one hand the number of FTF I’ve had with those.

49 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

That's a hard pass.  Not trusting my life or my family to a that.  Statistically, IF you have an encounter, it will be measured in a matter of a few feet.  Accuracy is the least of your concerns (not that it's a bad attribute, but lower on my priority scale).  I have range queens for that.

The EDC discussions can be a deep rabbit hole to go down, but as stated, it boils down to preference.  I want small, reliable, and decent capacity so I (being a Sig fanboy) went with the 365 with a capacity of 12 and another 12rd mag just in case.

If I were to graduate to a larger, more expensive option I'd probably look at Glock variants - specifically Shadow systems (War poet or MR920).  There are so many great options to choose from these days the manufacturers have to be on their toes.  

I have a 365 that I have had 0 issues with.  Shot a lot of rounds and never a FTF, anything.  I have a Shield dot and TLR 7 sub on mine and it shoots very small groups.  Don't carry it every day because my natural presentation/draw is a little off with this gun.  Grip angle, way I hold it, etc... it is a little lower than what my eye is looking at.  Not a big deal, but can shoot faster, better with either Glock.  Strictly personal preference.  1911s are nostalgia.  Shot one growing up and first competition pistol.  Compare them to my mechanical watches.  Mechanicals are pretty and expensive(1911), but if I want to have the best time keeper that never has an issue, I'm wearing my Citizen Eco(Glock/Sig).  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gladeite said:

I have a 365 that I have had 0 issues with.  Shot a lot of rounds and never a FTF, anything.  I have a Shield dot and TLR 7 sub on mine and it shoots very small groups.  Don't carry it every day because my natural presentation/draw is a little off with this gun.  Grip angle, way I hold it, etc... it is a little lower than what my eye is looking at.  Not a big deal, but can shoot faster, better with either Glock.  Strictly personal preference.  1911s are nostalgia.  Shot one growing up and first competition pistol.  Compare them to my mechanical watches.  Mechanicals are pretty and expensive(1911), but if I want to have the best time keeper that never has an issue, I'm wearing my Citizen Eco(Glock/Sig).  

Same.  100%.  I was going to add, with Glocks and Sigs, if in the rare event something happens to the gun and it's lost or stolen, it's not like losing one of my nicer options.  The preference with Glock is something you also just get used to (any why I recommended Shadow Systems).  There are so many custom options built off the base Glock platform.  My neighbor finally hung up his Wilson 1911 for EDC and "upgraded" to a ZEV

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Can’t decide between the Hellcat or the Shadow System for the nightstand. 

My 4lb baby eagle is not an optimum choice at the moment 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Can’t decide between the Hellcat or the Shadow System for the nightstand. 

My 4lb baby eagle is not an optimum choice at the moment 

Serious answer, every night before I go to bed my EDC goes into the nightstand.  I have my 1911 in a biometric safe, but my thought process is that I spend so much time with my small option, I want to be so proficient and comfortable with it that I want it closer to me at all times.  Drives my wife crazy, but in bed after the kids are in bed and we're watching TV, sometimes I take it apart, put it back together, etc.  Do dryfire exercises on the stupid rom-coms she watches.  Gives her fits, so of course I keep doing it.  

So going by that, the Hellcat is easier to carry/conceal - but you have to be 100% comfortable with the choice, so see if there is a range where you can try both and see which you prefer.  Both are great choices, but different in application.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m in Orlando and I will be back in 2 days. Before I get back one of you needs to talk me out of buying the CZ-97 I want and somebody in Austin is holding for me. 

It’s ugly, jams, is too big, unAmerican, has  bad teeth, whatever. Just give me a reason not to buy this thing. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

23 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’m in Orlando and I will be back in 2 days. Before I get back one of you needs to talk me out of buying the CZ-97 I want and somebody in Austin is holding for me. 

It’s ugly, jams, is too big, unAmerican, has  bad teeth, whatever. Just give me a reason not to buy this thing. 

Too sexy, pointy elbow. WNB

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/8/2022 at 4:59 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

LOL, it's a great gun.  A little large (frame), so it's good at the range or for HD, or as an OWB carry option at the ranch, etc.  Like a 1911 in terms of size/weight

• Hook 'Em 1