The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

12 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Is that an original or custom? I'm not aware of any recent production front stuffers with back action locks. 

I think Cabelas still sells their old "Hawken" percussion cap rifle kit.  Killed a doe with a friends.  The slight pause from the trigger pull through powder combustion is a little hard to get used to.  And the smoke.  Man.  

On 12/28/2021 at 10:23 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Is that an original or custom? I'm not aware of any recent production front stuffers with back action locks. 

Original fowling piece about 12 gauge with Golcher back action lock & curly maple stock - brought west from Pennsylvania to Indiana by my gg-grandfather prior to the Civil War. Later brought to Missouri by his son in the 1890s.

Don’t Know who the maker was, but probably by a village blacksmith with storebought lock & barrel.... circa 1840. The stock forend cap was crudely done from pewter.

It is our oldest family heirloom.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It's been a long time but finally saw another "open carry" idiot in the wild yesterday. Big tall fellow with a ridiculously oversized straw cowboy hat, Wyatt Earp mustache and boots. He had 2 holsters, one on each side....empty because he was shopping at Spec's.  I wanted to bitch slap him in the worst way...

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

It's been a long time but finally saw another "open carry" idiot in the wild yesterday. Big tall fellow with a ridiculously oversized straw cowboy hat, Wyatt Earp mustache and boots. He had 2 holsters, one on each side....empty because he was shopping at Spec's.  I wanted to bitch slap him in the worst way...

If you’re gonna open carry, that’s the way to do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

All holster, no guns.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

I still don’t understand that nonsense. I don’t want anyone to know I’m armed, and if I’m a bad guy the first person that I perceive as a threat is who I’m going after. So I view the open carry tards as openly advertising that they’re swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool.
This is why open carry and constitutional carry are both complete non events. I open carried once into a convenience store just to do it. Police officer inside. Was a bit of a kick but really zero reason.

The only thing I like about open carry is that if I’m lazy and not fully concealed, I’m not in violation of concealed carry law…

Other than that yeah no way.

Same for any markings on my cars that would identify me as someone who owns a gun. Like said above, no need to make me the first target.

• Hook 'Em 1

I still don’t understand that nonsense. I don’t want anyone to know I’m armed, and if I’m a bad guy the first person that I perceive as a threat is who I’m going after. So I view the open carry tards as openly advertising that they’re swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool.

Except, I’m pretty positive that criminals don’t think the way normal people do and there are next to zero instances proving that a civilian open carrying gets taken out first.

I don’t know that I’ve intentionally open carried but I wouldn’t be opposed to it.

Just posted in the hunting thread about some young kids who got to spend a few days at the ranch this week. The 10 year old was big enough to hold my Beretta A400 28 gauge and even broke a few clay targets off of the wobble trap. He was hooked. Love to see that. In fact, I'll probably loan the gun to his dad for a while to help keep him going. 

iu-14.jpeg.5669fcc6ae2a4ab680dc8168ce8a99ce.jpeg

The stock is way too small for me but it's just right for a little kid and there is hardly any felt recoil at all. It is perfect for teaching a young kid to shoot a shotgun without making him shy about the kick. Both of my kids learned to shoot with it and now hopefully another kid will learn to shoot with it until he graduates to larger guns and actions. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

The stock is way too small for me but it's just right for a little kid and there is hardly any felt recoil at all. It is perfect for teaching a young kid to shoot a shotgun without making him shy about the kick. Both of my kids learned to shoot with it and now hopefully another kid will learn to shoot with it until he graduates to larger guns and actions. 

The A400 stock is too small for you in general, or do they size down the 28 for some reason?  I’ve shot a 400 12ga several times and no way it’s fitting my 10 yo. 

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

The A400 stock is too small for you in general, or do they size down the 28 for some reason?  I’ve shot a 400 12ga several times and no way it’s fitting my 10 yo. 

This one is standard size for all gauges. 14.5" length of pull, which is about right for most "average" men of 5-10, 18- lbs.  

I am 6-4, 300+ lbs so every off the shelf stock is too small for me. LOL

Except for custom made stocks, all of my fitted shotguns look like this at the butt end of the stock:

IMG_7798.jpg.2693b010dd18cbbddc9ef08a2faf6903.jpg

A properly fitted gun makes a HUGE difference in results. Shooting a shotgun that doesn't fit you is like trying to run in shoes that are too small or too big. It's possible but it adds a degree of difficulty and uncertainty that hinders performance. I had no idea how important it was until I ponied up the money and had my first gun fitted.

FWIW, I have an 1100 in 28 gauge that has a cut off stock. It's even shorter and feels like a toy to me but it's perfect for young kids. Unfortunately, I didn't know these little kids were coming to the ranch until I had already left home or I would have brought that one and even the younger kid probably could have shot it. 

Top to bottom: my fitted O/U sporting clays gun with fitted stock, Beretta A400 28 ga with standard stock, Remington 1100 28 ga with cut off stock.

IMG_7800.thumb.jpg.1bb40993dccb3ad310dea13f95be72b2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

This one is standard size for all gauges. 14.5" length of pull, which is about right for most "average" men of 5-10, 18- lbs.  

I am 6-4, 300+ lbs so every off the shelf stock is too small for me. LOL

Except for custom made stocks, all of my fitted shotguns look like this at the butt end of the stock:

IMG_7798.jpg.2693b010dd18cbbddc9ef08a2faf6903.jpg

A properly fitted gun makes a HUGE difference in results. Shooting a shotgun that doesn't fit you is like trying to run in shoes that are too small or too big. It's possible but it adds a degree of difficulty and uncertainty that hinders performance. I had no idea how important it was until I ponied up the money and had my first gun fitted.

FWIW, I have an 1100 in 28 gauge that has a cut off stock. It's even shorter and feels like a toy to me but it's perfect for young kids. Unfortunately, I didn't know these little kids were coming to the ranch until I had already left home or I would have brought that one and even the younger kid probably could have shot it. 

Top to bottom: my fitted O/U sporting clays gun with fitted stock, Beretta A400 28 ga with standard stock, Remington 1100 28 ga with cut off stock.

IMG_7800.thumb.jpg.1bb40993dccb3ad310dea13f95be72b2.jpg

Oh I get how important it is to be properly fitted, especially for what you do. I was just curious as I’m 6’, 210# or so and the 400 I’ve borrowed and played with in the past “fit” about like every other they do for “average” size.  Was hoping you’d say it was a youth you had picked up. I like the 400 mostly, and I’ve been running my oldest daughter on a 410, and a 28 youth would be nice for her. I may just have the 410 cut down a bit to fit her better.  Either way, it was challenging running those birds with a 410 but was absolutely doable and probably the way I’m going moving forward. 

eta: good looking set you have going on there (especially the P), and doesn’t even include your newest.  Jealous. 

Edited by fattyflattie

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Oh I get how important it is to be properly fitted, especially for what you do. I was just curious as I’m 6’, 210# or so and the 400 I’ve borrowed and played with in the past “fit” about like every other they do for “average” size.  Was hoping you’d say it was a youth you had picked up. I like the 400 mostly, and I’ve been running my oldest daughter on a 410, and a 28 youth would be nice for her. I may just have the 410 cut down a bit to fit her better.  Either way, it was challenging running those birds with a 410 but was absolutely doable and probably the way I’m going moving forward. 

eta: good looking set you have going on there (especially the P), and doesn’t even include your newest.  Jealous. 

I originally tried to start my kids on the proverbial single shot 410 and it was a disaster with too much recoil and not enough broken targets. They took much more readily to the 28 gauge semi autos. 50% more pellets in an average load makes a huge difference hitting targets and there is hardly any recoil at all. 

I have an 1100 in 410 and it’s fun for taking potshots at doves in-season but that’s about all it’s good for. Definitely too empty a pattern for a beginner IMHO. 

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I originally tried to start my kids on the proverbial single shot 410 and it was a disaster with too much recoil and not enough broken targets. They took much more readily to the 28 gauge semi autos. 50% more pellets in an average load makes a huge difference hitting targets and there is hardly any recoil at all. 

I have an 1100 in 410 and it’s fun for taking potshots at doves in-season but that’s about all it’s good for. Definitely too empty a pattern for a beginner IMHO. 

50 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

I have an old 870 20g wingmaster that we cut the stock down for the kiddos.  Changes the LOP a ton and they can keep their head up.

Crimson, great looking shotguns, envious of the Perazzi! 

The adrenaline rush of hitting the target overcomes a lot of recoil too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/31/2021 at 11:04 PM, Speedtrucker said:

The only thing I like about open carry is that if I’m lazy and not fully concealed, I’m not in violation of concealed carry law…

Other than that yeah no way.

I have yet to find a ccw holster as comfortable as the Galco on my belt.

On 12/31/2021 at 9:23 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

This

As many have stated, it's nice at the ranch when I run into town not having to worry, but as a daily carry, you make yourself a target and negate your main advantage of secrecy and surprise.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I was going to ask, "What do you use such a thing for?" but the webpage says, "furnace and boiler applications" so my guess is blasting slag out of a firebox at a power plant or chemical plant.

I've always heard they just do that job with 12 gauge pump guns, but I can see how something bigger and more specifically applied would do the trick. 

I was going to ask, "What do you use such a thing for?" but the webpage says, "furnace and boiler applications" so my guess is blasting slag out of a firebox at a power plant or chemical plant.
I've always heard they just do that job with 12 gauge pump guns, but I can see how something bigger and more specifically applied would do the trick. 

I knew a guy that did that. I think he said they used a 10ga.

Scopes.

Last year I took off the 50+ year old Leupold Mark 4 fixed magnification scope I had on this 1965 Browning High Power .30-06 rifle because it had too much glare at sunset in my new hunting location.  I installed a Vortex 3.5-10x50 but I had to resort to extra high rings because of the iron sights with the larger objective.  I never even sighted it in before I had shoulder surgery that limited my hunting this year but I knew it could not stay this way.

Before w/ Vortex

B0DDB36C-50F5-468F-A27E-5111A5DF03C2.jpeg

I decided to go back to a Leupold with 3-9x40.  It is shorter in length and the smaller objective lets me use low rings again.  I have better eye-relief, like the 3x setting and where it sits the rear sight and the hooded front sight do not interfere with the sight picture.

Should get to the range tomorrow.

After w/ Leupold.  Looks better this way too.

94079019-BB4F-4B69-98BC-356496F30B34.jpeg

So what do you do with the Vortex?  I have a 1975 Weatherby Mark V .270 Wby that had an old Burris fixed 6x scope on it. It fits just right with the old low profile rings.  There is micro gap once the rings are tightened down.  Don't want to shoot too many times in case the hot barrel starts impacting point of aim/impact by flexing the scope.  This is also a better match for scope and rifle as this would be a longer range rifle that I use less often.  $3 per cartridge will limit your shooting and so will that .270 Wby Mag kick.

6540CABF-6828-4538-BE47-094F43A137EA.jpeg

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 3

So I’m looking into a basic shotgun for a noob.  From my brief searching seems like the mossberg maverick 88 is the common answer.  Any thing else I should look at in the $200 range?

Back in the day, I introduced several college friends to wing shooting. I went with at least 3 of them as they bought a Remington 870 Express. It’s in the $375 range, but a workhorse of a gun. Or at least it used to be.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

So I’m looking into a basic shotgun for a noob.  From my brief searching seems like the mossberg maverick 88 is the common answer.  Any thing else I should look at in the $200 range?

What are you using it for?  Mossberg makes good entry level shotguns and they have manufacturing in Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What are you using it for?  Mossberg makes good entry level shotguns and they have manufacturing in Texas. 

More and more of their firearms are coming out of their eagle pass facility.

They keep shifting more jobs down here.

Which is kinda strange that their firearms still go up north first, so they’ll never be fully made/manufactured/sold in Texas under atf interstate nexus

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Back in the day, I introduced several college friends to wing shooting. I went with at least 3 of them as they bought a Remington 870 Express. It’s in the $375 range, but a workhorse of a gun. Or at least it used to be.

I know this guy with a pretty good budget who could probably get into that if anybody would show him how it’s done. 

That raises the question.  Are Remington guns any good anymore?  Marlin is now effectively kaput, but was any of the Remington production worth a shit?

What passes for a Winchester apparently is made by FN and Miroku, so those are pretty decent to really nice, I'd guess.

12 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I know this guy with a pretty good budget who could probably get into that if anybody would show him how it’s done. 

I love to teach people to shoot. Never competed but I'm above average shot who has been through some lessons by some really competitive guys. 

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That raises the question.  Are Remington guns any good anymore?  Marlin is now effectively kaput, but was any of the Remington production worth a shit?

What passes for a Winchester apparently is made by FN and Miroku, so those are pretty decent to really nice, I'd guess.

I think the Beretta group (Benelli, Franchi,Stoeger, etc) makes the best high production shotguns. Browning is up there and I like Mossberg. 

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ruger just started shipped Marlin firearms again. Vista Outdoors has the Remington ammo lines up and producing ammo (gotta have those Core-Lokts) and RemArms is getting its shit together to start producing Remington firearms again.

I have an 870 Express that I got for Christmas almost 20 years ago that is pretty solid, but the finish is crap. Rusts super easily. I also have a Remington R-25 in .243, which is their AR-10 variant from about 15 years ago which is a tack driver and extremely solid. Those were made by DPMS which was also owned by the Cerberus group at the time if I recall correctly.

As far as the Miroku Winchesters, I bought an 1873 last year that is great. The color case hardening finish hasn't been as durable as I would have liked but the action is a dream.

Yeah-  Ruger is already doing great things with the Marlin brand.  That’s a perfect fit. 

Roundhill bought the Ilion plant and the TN barrel facility and are saying all the right things about bringing back the Remington brand to what it once was.  I hope they pull it off. Time will tell. 

12 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I have an 870 Express that I got for Christmas almost 20 years ago that is pretty solid, but the finish is crap. Rusts super easily.

So I got one for my 12th bday (26 years ago) with an additional rifled slug barrel package.  Has some pretty decent wood with some fiddleback (for an 870). I’ve never had a problem with any rust, so wonder if there was a change around then or maybe some bad batches?  I grew up on the coast and duck hunted the marsh with it until college, when I switched to an O/U.  In all fairness, I would liberally lube it with corrosion x after salt hunting, then clean it proper at the end of the trip. That gun has never once failed me.  First shotgun I owned, and I learned to shoot dove, duck, clays with it. I’d love to know how many thousands of shells that have gone thru it. It’s also taken deer and a shitload of hogs.  I bet I haven’t shot it in 10 years now :( 

Edited by fattyflattie

53 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

So I got one for my 12th bday (26 years ago) with an additional rifled slug barrel package.  Has some pretty decent wood with some fiddleback (for an 870). I’ve never had a problem with any rust, so wonder if there was a change around then or maybe some bad batches?  I grew up on the coast and duck hunted the marsh with it until college, when I switched to an O/U.  In all fairness, I would liberally lube it with corrosion x after salt hunting, then clean it proper at the end of the trip. That gun has never once failed me.  First shotgun I owned, and I learned to shoot dove, duck, clays with it. I’d love to know how many thousands of shells that have gone thru it. It’s also taken deer and a shitload of hogs.  I bet I haven’t shot it in 10 years now :( 

Mine is the synthetic stock with whatever you call their matte finish.