The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

11 hours ago, Handcruser said:

What’s the big deal about it?

Other than the Browning Hi-Power being one of the truly great hand guns ever made, it's very much a nostalgia thing for me.  The BHP was the first firearm I had to qualify with in my former life while I was still working.  Prior to this (early '90s), I had hated anything associated with the 9mm, because...you know, stupid European pussy round, military should never have replaced the 45ACP, etc., etc.  Before I deployed for my first overseas PCS in 1994, I was required to qualify with handgun and shotgun.  At that time, my organization's standard issue side arm was the BHP.  I remember the first day of class, when all the desks had shiny BHPs sitting on them, and I'm grumbling internally about these "pussy 9mms", all prepared to hate these things.  Then, when we were instructed to pick them up, the feeling in my hand was immediately a revelation.  The BHP felt like it was custom fitted specifically to my hand.  It just felt so natural and well balanced.  You know how instructors say that the sidearm should feel like an extension of your hand?  Well, this weapon really did feel like a part of my hand.  I've never had a weapon feel as natural in my hand has this one.  It carried over to the shooting range, too.  From the first shot I took, through the thousands of rounds we fired during instruction and qualification, it was like I couldn't miss if I tried.  I love this weapon, and I've wanted one ever since, but the Fabrique Nationale versions were very difficult to find, and when you did, very expensive.  Now that Springfield Armory is making them, I'm sure they will be much more easily obtainable, and high quality, and will let me check one more box off the "must-have" list.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

The BHP is undeniably one of the finest handguns ever invented. 

...and a reputable company re-introducing them, forged in the USA, with updated 15rd mags and losing the magazine disconnect, is a big deal.  The gun industry is currently overrun with Glock knock off, polymer firearms roll marked with "DON'T SHOOT YOUR FACE OFF BEFORE READING THE MANUAL".  Throwback looks and updated functionality in a JMB handgun design that has decades of combat and competition pedigree is a refreshing development.   

I think it'd be a perfect handgun for an office desk where you don't have to continuously carry around the weight and the lack of a rail wouldn't be a disadvantage.  A purchaser could still take it home on weekends for the never ending war on ranch beer cans.  It seems like a handgun owned by a man who wore a nice watch and also had several Blantons bottles strategically stored in safe locations.  Just my .02.

• Hook 'Em 3

Other than the Browning Hi-Power being one of the truly great hand guns ever made, it's very much a nostalgia thing for me.  The BHP was the first firearm I had to qualify with in my former life while I was still working.  Prior to this (early '90s), I had hated anything associated with the 9mm, because...you know, stupid European pussy round, military should never have replaced the 45ACP, etc., etc.  Before I deployed for my first overseas PCS in 1994, I was required to qualify with handgun and shotgun.  At that time, my organization's standard issue side arm was the BHP.  I remember the first day of class, when all the desks had shiny BHPs sitting on them, and I'm grumbling internally about these "pussy 9mms", all prepared to hate these things.  Then, when we were instructed to pick them up, the feeling in my hand was immediately a revelation.  The BHP felt like it was custom fitted specifically to my hand.  It just felt so natural and well balanced.  You know how instructors say that the sidearm should feel like an extension of your hand?  Well, this weapon really did feel like a part of my hand.  I've never had a weapon feel as natural in my hand has this one.  It carried over to the shooting range, too.  From the first shot I took, through the thousands of rounds we fired during instruction and qualification, it was like I couldn't miss if I tried.  I love this weapon, and I've wanted one ever since, but the Fabrique Nationale versions were very difficult to find, and when you did, very expensive.  Now that Springfield Armory is making them, I'm sure they will be much more easily obtainable, and high quality, and will let me check one more box off the "must-have" list.

Thanks for the explanation.

The BHP is undeniably one of the finest handguns ever invented. 

Yes sir. My first pistol. When I shoot it now along side my M&P or other modern large capacity magazine plastic 9mms there’s no comparison to the BHP. Among other things, the trigger of the BHP blows the others away. I paid around $350 for mine in 1987.

16 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I wish they would bring back more vintage firearms. A Winchester 1907 in a more modern easier to find round would be the tits.

Back in the mid 80’s my dad had his own shop. He did business the old fashioned way, or I guess the normal way at the time and would take people at their word that they were good for the payment. When they couldn’t come up with the scratch he would take “trades”. He acquired a 1907 and a Marlin lever action .45acp to settle a $200 debt. Motherfucker hasn’t shot either one in 15+ years but he won’t sell either one to me 🙄

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Can you use a rimless cartridge or whatever those are called for a lever action? Maybe he meant long Colt.

Actually, now that I think about it, he probably means a Marlin lever action 45-70 Govt, which I've already got one in the safe. Somebody tell Dad the deal is off.

(or still on if it really is a 45 ACP)

A 1907-ish lever gun would have been a 45 colt (long colt) or 45-70 if it was a 45 caliber cambering.

The 45 ACP wasn't  developed by JM Browning until '04 and took some time to become commercially available.  

Rimless rounds like the 45 ACP and 9mm designed for semi-auto feeding are hard to run in an action like a lever gun.

It technically could be done, but certainly wasn't back then.

• Like 1

Oh...I mis-read bigtime.  I read Marlin 1907.

Yeah Winchester 1905, 1907, and 1910 are semi auto blowback rifles.  Magazine fed.

I have them in .401 SL, .35 WSL, and .351 SL rounds in the back of the safe.  SL was the designation for self loading.

Common for LE use, and prison guards.  Built like a brick shit house.

Different animals for sure and not .45 acp either.   Kind of like shooting a semi-auto 30-30.

Cool rifles.  My bad.

• Hook 'Em 2

Damnit I guess notifications don’t work anymore and I forgot I had posted in here. It is a Marlin lever action .44 mag, NOT .45acp. Stamped with a J, not JM. Dad said he got it before he and mom got married and that was in ‘82 so he thinks he’s had it since ‘80. Working on getting him to send me pics but it may be similar to Armybrat quality.

• Hook 'Em 1

I only own one wheel gun and it’s a judge. The rifle is dads. He has 8-10 wheel guns and I’m quite certain he has several .44, one in nickel with bone grip and another blued with wooden grips and then another that is still in the box. Been probably 15 maybe 20 years since I’ve seen any of them so I could be way off.

He’s batshit crazy. He used to sing napalm sticks to kids to my brother and I when he would put us to bed at night. Retired as an assistant warden from the most violent prison in TDCJ and promptly went to work in the oilfield. He’s Red Forman meets Al Bundy with a sprinkling of Ted Bundy.

What’s his Surly handle?
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

He’s batshit crazy. He used to sing napalm sticks to kids to my brother and I when he would put us to bed at night. Retired as an assistant warden from the most violent prison in TDCJ and promptly went to work in the oilfield. He’s Red Forman meets Al Bundy with a sprinkling of Ted Bundy.

My dad used to be an assistant warden at TDC and was promoted to warden I think at Beto and promptly quit.  I don't like to think about those times.  You have to be fucked in the head to work anywhere in a prison and see/hear what they do.  His peace of mind was shooting at the heads of turtles in the lake.  

23 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Damnit I guess notifications don’t work anymore and I forgot I had posted in here. It is a Marlin lever action .44 mag, NOT .45acp. Stamped with a J, not JM. Dad said he got it before he and mom got married and that was in ‘82 so he thinks he’s had it since ‘80. Working on getting him to send me pics but it may be similar to Armybrat quality.

The 5.5” Ruger Super Blackhawk would be the perfect companion to that Marlin .44 levergun.

Mine was really nice;

15CF88D3-38CB-4CAA-A6CD-770EC0235E51.jpeg

• Drool 2

Lots of wheel gun and lever talk lately, I like it.  Went to the range two weeks ago and shot my Grandad’s old S&W Model 28 and the new S&W 460 that my wife bought me. After warming up with some .45 Colt I let it rip with the .460 mag.  Oh.  My.  God.  It’s life changing power that you can feel into the depths of your soul.  Bears in Alaska will shrink in fear.  Bonus pic of my wife with the Model 28.  

9FEC1584-5B13-435D-8F9F-B2E0A8626A7D.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

I got a Pedersoli Scout Flintlock in .50 several weeks back for my birthday, but delayed ordering some black powder for it (the triple seven I use in my percussion Great Plains Rifle won't work with a flintlock due the higher ignition temperature) because you have to pay a $37 hazmat fee in addition to the shipping in order to buy it online, and there isn't anybody nearby who sells it. The day before I had planned on making an order for some powder they announced that the Goex factory, which was the last remaining black powder factory in the US was shutting its doors. Of course there was a huge run on powder because some folks can't help themselves and reflexively order the largest amount allowable by law at that kind of news, which leaves folks getting into it high and dry. Anyhow, I found somewhere that had some in stock last week and was finally able to get some and test it out.

This rifle has set triggers (I'm not sure why this isn't more of a thing on modern hunting guns) and the first shot at fiftyish yards was dead on left and right, but just a bit high. I adjusted the elevation of the rear sight and put my finger on the trigger after setting the set trigger. It was so light that it went off. Luckily I was almost on target and it hit just a couple inches right, exactly where I thought it should have hit. I a third shot (with more care not to even touch the trigger after it had been set until my sights were on target) put it exactly where i wanted to. Unfortunately the ramrod split while ramming the third ball down the barrel because the patch/ball combo was pretty tight and the factory ramrod is cheap cross grained wood. But it shoots where I want it to, and should have no problem taking a deer inside reasonable ranges.

As far as shooting a flintlock goes, the ignition was fast enough that i could barely discern a delay between the flash in the pan and the main charge going off. The set trigger helps in this as well, obviously. If you are looking to get a muzzleloader to extend the season or even for the nostalgia of it, you should consider a flintlock. I was able to get ten pounds of black powder for $25 per pound delivered, which will last me several years.

11 hours ago, USCATX said:

Lots of wheel gun and lever talk lately, I like it.  Went to the range two weeks ago and shot my Grandad’s old S&W Model 28 and the new S&W 460 that my wife bought me. After warming up with some .45 Colt I let it rip with the .460 mag.  Oh.  My.  God.  It’s life changing power that you can feel into the depths of your soul.  Bears in Alaska will shrink in fear.  Bonus pic of my wife with the Model 28.  

NOICE!

Furthest up the tree of handgun power was a .454.  Not too bad really?  They are just so damn heavy, lugging them up and down mountain sides is a PITA.  Then I listen to Steve Rinella and his bear escapades (like Afognak island) and I reconsider.  LOL.

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

NOICE!

Furthest up the tree of handgun power was a .454.  Not too bad really?  They are just so damn heavy, lugging them up and down mountain sides is a PITA.  Then I listen to Steve Rinella and his bear escapades (like Afognak island) and I reconsider.  LOL.

The only other gun I like to carry on Admiralty is a BAR in 300 win mag, so the .460 will be much lighter.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Armybrat said:

The 5.5” Ruger Super Blackhawk would be the perfect companion to that Marlin .44 levergun.

Mine was really nice;

15CF88D3-38CB-4CAA-A6CD-770EC0235E51.jpeg

you've got a screw loose

15 hours ago, USCATX said:

I would classify that as a rude combination.

• Like 2

I got a Pedersoli Scout Flintlock in .50 several weeks back for my birthday, but delayed ordering some black powder for it (the triple seven I use in my percussion Great Plains Rifle won't work with a flintlock due the higher ignition temperature) because you have to pay a $37 hazmat fee in addition to the shipping in order to buy it online, and there isn't anybody nearby who sells it. The day before I had planned on making an order for some powder they announced that the Goex factory, which was the last remaining black powder factory in the US was shutting its doors. Of course there was a huge run on powder because some folks can't help themselves and reflexively order the largest amount allowable by law at that kind of news, which leaves folks getting into it high and dry. Anyhow, I found somewhere that had some in stock last week and was finally able to get some and test it out.
This rifle has set triggers (I'm not sure why this isn't more of a thing on modern hunting guns) and the first shot at fiftyish yards was dead on left and right, but just a bit high. I adjusted the elevation of the rear sight and put my finger on the trigger after setting the set trigger. It was so light that it went off. Luckily I was almost on target and it hit just a couple inches right, exactly where I thought it should have hit. I a third shot (with more care not to even touch the trigger after it had been set until my sights were on target) put it exactly where i wanted to. Unfortunately the ramrod split while ramming the third ball down the barrel because the patch/ball combo was pretty tight and the factory ramrod is cheap cross grained wood. But it shoots where I want it to, and should have no problem taking a deer inside reasonable ranges.
As far as shooting a flintlock goes, the ignition was fast enough that i could barely discern a delay between the flash in the pan and the main charge going off. The set trigger helps in this as well, obviously. If you are looking to get a muzzleloader to extend the season or even for the nostalgia of it, you should consider a flintlock. I was able to get ten pounds of black powder for $25 per pound delivered, which will last me several years.

Set triggers are great. I handled a CZ a few years back that had them. Should have bought the gun.

12 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Set triggers are great. I handled a CZ a few years back that had them. Should have bought the gun.

Yep.  Always fantasized about a "quigley-esq" breach loader with set triggers.  Next to a guy at the range years back with a 45-90.  He'd swab and clean the barrel between each shot, but when he did fire you could feel it.  Not a "crack" like modern magnums.  More subdued but also more presence.  So cool.  

The SSG-69 has a pair of triggers.  Such a sexy gun.  The modern Accu-triggers that Savage pioneered are similar.  Then everyone followed suit.  Supremely crisp and consistent, even on the base models.