The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

34 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Damn. Those brows tho. 

Here's a better look at them in these pics taken after field dressing and getting him home. Aimed broad side just behind the left shoulder about 30 yards away. Caught wind of me just as I pulled the trigger and started quartering away. Bullet entered rear of rib cage, traversed the chest cavity shattering the opposite shoulder and lodged against the ball joint.

Buck Pic 3.jpg

Buck Pic 4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 12:44 PM, Brew said:

I’m going to have to start hoarding shotgun shells apparently. Have a skeet shoot tomorrow and another one in a couple of weeks and there are no shells to be found around me. Academy got a pallet this morning and they were gone in 20 minutes. Gander is apparently getting out of guns at least locally and they had a new Silver Pigeon at a good price. Think I may have to pick that up before it sells.

If you're in Austin, McBrides has pistol and shotgun ammo.

18 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Here's a better look at them in these pics taken after field dressing and getting him home. Aimed broad side just behind the left shoulder about 30 yards away. Caught wind of me just as I pulled the trigger and started quartering away. Bullet entered rear of rib cage, traversed the chest cavity shattering the opposite shoulder and lodged against the ball joint.

Buck Pic 3.jpg

Buck Pic 4.jpg

Honey, don't you be yelling at me when I'm cleaning my gun
I'll wash the blood off the tailgate when deer season's done

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

No birds were flying today so we did some work around the ranch and then I took some time to finish sighting in my new Weatherby and then swung over to the longer range targets for a few shots. the Sig BDX setup worked great, just range the target and the scope gives you a holdover and wind age call. The wind was gusty, so I’ll need some time to practice more wind estimation, etc, but looking lethal for elk next month.

iPhone slow mo video is a handy tool to run while you’re taking a shot or two to check your form, etc pre-shot. E.g. my right thumb is more comfortable on the side of the tang rather than crossed over the top and my accuracy was better. I hadn’t noticed until I reviewed a few shots. Good time at the range.

338f49eec11c8455faa90193015ad771.jpg

.65” group after finishing up the sighting in:

a5912719cc0f018880db55f19277d391.jpg

2014f292f5feaf98f6c218d267d60a39.jpg

233e6455b209db69c7330dee1633c338.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

So we went out Saturday to get some stuff ready for the season and shot my Norinco made 1873 Winchester a bit afterwards. I took it out yesterday morning and the side plates had a fine layer of rust on the color case hardening. CLP or Rem Oil and paper towels (all I had on hand) didn't remove it. It's like a layer of rust browning, except fingerprints are clearly visible and it ruins the beauty of the color case hardening. Any recs on a product to restore the original finish?

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So we went out Saturday to get some stuff ready for the season and shot my Norinco made 1873 Winchester a bit afterwards. I took it out yesterday morning and the side plates had a fine layer of rust on the color case hardening. CLP or Rem Oil and paper towels (all I had on hand) didn't remove it. It's like a layer of rust browning, except fingerprints are clearly visible and it ruins the beauty of the color case hardening. Any recs on a product to restore the original finish?

Liberal amounts of Ballistol.  Find a way to let it soak or saturate and then use a soft cloth to brush it off.  It that won't take it off, repeat and then gently use the some very fine bronze wool soaked in Ballistol.  Should pull surface rusting right off.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Reagan beat met to it; I’ve had success with steel wool, but bronze wool sounds like a better idea.
Really fine steel wool (I think 0000) and Corrosion X has worked for me on blued guns with some light rust. Go very slow and very light pressure. Might soak it in Corrosion C for a day or two prior to hitting it with the steel wool.

Also as a PSA: Corrosion X For Guns is a great product that I think is better than Rem Oil as a lubricant and has some of the rust protection of Corrosion X.

http:// https://www.corrosionx.com/collections/corrosion-prevention-control/products/corrosionx-ultimate-clp-cleaner-lubricant-and-protectant-for-firearms?variant=32078265548896
  • Hook 'Em 2

Took a shot at a “lifetime” shotgun last night. It only went for a bit more than my last bid, but I don’t think this guy was stopping. We went back and forth for a few hours, and I finally said fuck it as I was getting drunker and didn’t know where I’d stop as I was getting rather invested. Sucks because there is nothing with even a fraction of this work under 5 figures. Kind of irritated with myself this AM, but whatever. I’m not big into game scenes or gold, and typically enjoy less engraving than more. But I’m a big fan of deep floral. The wood was equally as impressive as the metal work. Yep, still irritated.

6846a718ec2f4aa3fd708f51da2b90ee.jpg

5ad4f5ee7ec67c8627aedb153cc28a23.jpg

674a5aa59107590d102b731e31745083.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Are you John Cena? Jeez, same some ladies for the rest of us. 

Just camera perspective, but I wish I could snap my fingers and drop 30lbs of fat and add some muscle, conditioning, and flexibility before this elk hunt. Hunting between 7-9000ft. I’m feeling like I have an ass whip coming. Now that I have my gear mostly sorted out, I need to really work on getting my self in better shape.

7 hours ago, 686 said:

Just camera perspective, but I wish I could snap my fingers and drop 30lbs of fat and add some muscle, conditioning, and flexibility before this elk hunt. Hunting between 7-9000ft. I’m feeling like I have an ass whip coming. Now that I have my gear mostly sorted out, I need to really work on getting my self in better shape.

Ruck.  I found it’s the single best thing to prepare you for the ass whipping that is hunting on foot at altitude.  It’s a kick in the dick that works.   50+ lbs at least. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Liberal amounts of Ballistol.  Find a way to let it soak or saturate and then use a soft cloth to brush it off.  It that won't take it off, repeat and then gently use the some very fine bronze wool soaked in Ballistol.  Should pull surface rusting right off.

+rep for Ballistol

23 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Ruck.  I found it’s the single best thing to prepare you for the ass whipping that is hunting on foot at altitude.  It’s a kick in the dick that works.   50+ lbs at least. 

As I’ve mentioned in the past, I don’t hunt. But I’ve been thinking about taking up hunting invasives. In Texas that would be pigs. What are some higher altitude  invasives I could hunt on foot in places like Colorado, NM, and Wyoming ?

11 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

+rep for Ballistol

As I’ve mentioned in the past, I don’t hunt. But I’ve been thinking about taking up hunting invasives. In Texas that would be pigs. What are some higher altitude  invasives I could hunt on foot in places like Colorado, NM, and Wyoming ?

Pigs in Texas generally require access to private land.  That would be the first hurdle.  The limited public land (<5% of the total land) is sparse as sparse can be.  Used to be land owners would let people try and take pigs, now they realize there is such a market and they charge for access.  They are also crafty fucks, meaning it takes time and planning. 

At higher altitudes, I don't think you'll ever see pigs.  As for others, I can't think of any?  Most are going to have gills or leaves.  Invasive fish are a huge problem in many areas.  

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 8:40 AM, Shoxthemonkey said:

I spent the weekend in Colorado at the stockmaker's shop and we hammered out the details for the rest of my Martini build. The biggest hurdle that I have left is to source the sights that I have decided to use. There were thousands of these guns built and I figured that a tang mounted aperture rear sight would be easy to find. Not so. I just missed one yesterday on Ebay but it went a lot higher than I was expecting. A few hours googling didn't yield much but I do have a few leads to chase down. I'm looking for either a BSA No.8 or a Parker-Hale No.7 or 7 1/2. Both are contoured to match the shape of a Martini Cadet tang. Because it is an Austrailian gun I figure that I might have better luck checking shops down there. I know we have several Austrailian posters here but I'll be damned if I can remember usernames. Can anybody help me with that or better yet, does anybody have any old tang sights they would like to trade or sell?

This just showed up in the mail.  I was referred to a guy in Scotland that referred me to a guy in...

Jones, Oklahoma. http://www.baldwinsights.com/

It's a small world.

IMG_20210907_104449454.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

There’s a few free-ranging higher altitude animals that are hunted as regulated “non-natives” in certain areas and as invasives/exotics in others. Some I can think of:

Auodad in west Texas/ NM
Oryx in NM
Ibex in NM
Elk, Axis, other exotics in West Texas

These animals don’t get the negative reputation that pigs do, but the state game agencies want hunting to keep the numbers in check and/or keep the animals within a certain range.

Pheasant is also a non-native/“invasive” that’s managed like a native game animal, FYI. The original pheasants from China all got loose from a barn in Oregon during a storm if I recall, now we have them over maybe 30% of the lower 48.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, 686 said:

There’s a few free-ranging higher altitude animals that are hunted as regulated “non-natives” in certain areas and as invasives/exotics in others. Some I can think of:

Auodad in west Texas/ NM
Oryx in NM
Ibex in NM

These animals don’t get the negative reputation that pigs do, but the state game agencies want hunting to keep the numbers in check and/or keep the animals within a certain range.

Pheasant is also a non-native/“invasive” that’s managed like a native game animal, FYI. The original pheasants from China all got loose from a barn in Oregon during a storm if I recall, now we have them over maybe 30% of the lower 48.

I know in NM you have to draw a tag for most game on public land (WT, mulies, elk), but what is the protocol if you see an Ibex (for example).  My guess is they escaped from a private ranch, and have no seasonal hunting restrictions?

I know in NM you have to draw a tag for most game on public land (WT, mulies, elk), but what is the protocol if you see an Ibex (for example).  My guess is they escaped from a private ranch, and have no seasonal hunting restrictions?

The state stocked the Oryx and ibex on two separate ranges (white sands and the Florida mountains).

On range/reserve there is a very in-demand draw system for the Oryx/Ibex.
There are off-range draw tags available and I also believe they sell some off range/reserve oryx tags year round that are good for ~30 days or so; so theoretically if you see one off the designated area, you can run over to the fish and game office and buy a tag and come back and try and get it.

This isn’t first person knowledge; I’ve only talked to folks that have done the Oryx hunt and Rinella had a good podcast where he did an Oryx and I think an Ibex hunt (or had a guest on that had). The ibex archery hunt is super low success rate (~7%).
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, 686 said:

The state stocked the Oryx and ibex on two separate ranges (white sands and the Florida mountains).

On range/reserve there is a very in-demand draw system for the Oryx/Ibex.
There are off-range draw tags available and I also believe they sell some off range/reserve oryx tags year round that are good for ~30 days or so; so theoretically if you see one off the designated area, you can run over to the fish and game office and buy a tag and come back and try and get it.

This isn’t first person knowledge; I’ve only talked to folks that have done the Oryx hunt and Rinella had a good podcast where he did an Oryx and I think an Ibex hunt (or had a guest on that had). The ibex archery hunt is super low success rate (~7%).

Good to know. Love rinella.  Listen to his podcast and watch Meateater on Netflix.  

I like Beretta automatics better than Remington and other brands, but I'm not 100% sure what the market it is for something like this when the MSRP (can't find it so far - maybe I missed it) is probably 3x that of other more mundane brands. 

Nonetheless, it's pretty and it's clearly a Beretta. 

1490551333_ScreenShot2021-09-08at08_41_08.thumb.png.088556493b7deca48aac0e82766aca77.png

238725427_ScreenShot2021-09-08at08_41_23.thumb.png.cc12994c69a7c65ef2179545afee0aca.png93938797_ScreenShot2021-09-08at08_41_38.png.e67927dea0c0d0e6c13da1eefe671204.png

Also, Dillards is expanding? LOL

1309486556_ScreenShot2021-09-08at08_48_56.png.b28894e5a54a8dc2303ce57c01f1028f.png

On 9/6/2021 at 12:44 PM, fattyflattie said:

Took a shot at a “lifetime” shotgun last night. It only went for a bit more than my last bid, but I don’t think this guy was stopping. We went back and forth for a few hours, and I finally said fuck it as I was getting drunker and didn’t know where I’d stop as I was getting rather invested. Sucks because there is nothing with even a fraction of this work under 5 figures. Kind of irritated with myself this AM, but whatever. I’m not big into game scenes or gold, and typically enjoy less engraving than more. But I’m a big fan of deep floral. The wood was equally as impressive as the metal work. Yep, still irritated.

6846a718ec2f4aa3fd708f51da2b90ee.jpg

5ad4f5ee7ec67c8627aedb153cc28a23.jpg

674a5aa59107590d102b731e31745083.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great price for that. Pretty gun. Bummer. 

2 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Great price for that. Pretty gun. Bummer. 

Yeah. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t going to slow down, at least that’s what I tell myself to sleep at night. I didn’t know if I’d have the wherewithal to stop where I needed to. I know the screen shot shows just under 6 but I think my last bid was $6125.  Oh well, not the first one I’ve missed.  That group that was selling it had 4-5 that I was watching all at once.   They had a really nice cooper .22 that ended up a bit high, a pre-64 that was worked in the same manner as that superposed (crazy stock and engraving) that went crazy high as expected, and a set of two .270 remingtons, a wood master and the matching pump.   Both of them were dolled up completely (10x more than I like) but someone’s estate had spent some real $$$ at some point.  I’m not really into gold and game scenes, but am an absolute sucker for deep floral.   I think I’m going to just get an Etchen 20/28 combo and call it good until I can (truly) afford to go P.   

Don't know about the tactical versions, but the 1301 was designed from the get go as a factory ready 3 gun shotgun that had an MSRP of about $1300.  They wanted to compete with reworked Benelli M2s that pretty much dominated the top tier of the sport.  Mossberg makes a decent comp gun for sub $1k that would probably be my first choice for local club shoots.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, 686 said:

Auodad in west Texas/ NM
Oryx in NM
Ibex in NM

There are some buffalo hunts that the feds sponsor to keep the population in check on certain federal properties.  You have to meet some requirements and apply through a lottery but that's along the same vein.

On 9/8/2021 at 7:53 AM, Reagan1k said:

There are some buffalo hunts that the feds sponsor to keep the population in check on certain federal properties.  You have to meet some requirements and apply through a lottery but that's along the same vein.

And if successful, you get to clean and pack out a frickin' buffalo.  Helped dress one when I was working at an exotic ranch one summer.  Oh, boy......

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 7:48 AM, davidg said:

Don't know about the tactical versions, but the 1301 was designed from the get go as a factory ready 3 gun shotgun that had an MSRP of about $1300.  They wanted to compete with reworked Benelli M2s that pretty much dominated the top tier of the sport.  Mossberg makes a decent comp gun for sub $1k that would probably be my first choice for local club shoots.

Beat me to it.  Their answer for the Benelli's everyone is using.  

23 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

And if successful, you get to clean and pack out a frickin' buffalo.  Helped dress one when I was working at an exotic ranch one summer.  Oh, boy......

Yeah - Better than that...after you pack it out the feds keep most of the meat and you only get a certain amount.

Helluva deal, but people still line up for it.  Mark Twain-ish whitewashing deal.

I think I had mentioned I wanted a bolt gun in 7.62x39. Several times I've tried to order from Academy (ship to store) and it would always dump at the last minute for no inventory.  And then today it just... went through. 

Edit: dammit, it got canceled.  Grrr.

Edited by CleverNickname
  • Haha 1

I think I had mentioned I wanted a bolt gun in 7.62x39. Several times I've tried to order from Academy (ship to store) and it would always dump at the last minute for no inventory.  And then today it just... went through. 

I think you should be happy. It’s not an inherently accurate round and primary production is Russia. Both of those things are not ideal.

What do you want it for? Look at a grendel or arc or 6.8. Any of those rounds I’d rather have I think.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Did you just have a jones for it? Seems like an odd round to have a bolt gun in.

I think I’m about to build a grendel upper.

I’ve got a 556 pistol
I’ve got a 300BLK pistol
I’ve got a 300BLK 16” AR
I’ve got a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt

Thinking about an 6.5G upper to put on my 300BLK lower. That should cover me for almost anything hunting wise.

I’ve been using my 300BLK pistol for most of my hog hunting because it’s light and easy to use.

4 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Did you just have a jones for it? Seems like an odd round to have a bolt gun in.

It is weird. Buuuut... I like having only a few calibers. The 7.62 soviet is not bad. It can be a ethical white tail hunting cartridge,  you can get it subsonic (though hard to find, admittedly), it once was cheap. I have that mini, so they share mags. Is it really practical? Eh, if that was the true test I'd sell half or more of my stuff! I've got a ~1000 of nice Fiocchi brass 7.62, some golden bear, 2 or 3 spam cans, and some misc tul or herter steel.

If I stumbled on a cz527 with irons, I'd snap that up. Maybe a baikal single shot. With a ruger american I can basically make a cooper-style scout rifle. Seems fun. 

33 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

It is weird. Buuuut... I like having only a few calibers. The 7.62 soviet is not bad. It can be a ethical white tail hunting cartridge,  you can get it subsonic (though hard to find, admittedly), it once was cheap. I have that mini, so they share mags. Is it really practical? Eh, if that was the true test I'd sell half or more of my stuff! I've got a ~1000 of nice Fiocchi brass 7.62, some golden bear, 2 or 3 spam cans, and some misc tul or herter steel.

If I stumbled on a cz527 with irons, I'd snap that up. Maybe a baikal single shot. With a ruger american I can basically make a cooper-style scout rifle. Seems fun. 

Great for WT a d pigs.  Ballistics are similar to a 30-30 and they make hunting rounds for it. CZ makes a bolt gun chambered for it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Handcruser said:

I’ve got a 556 pistol
I’ve got a 300BLK pistol
I’ve got a 300BLK 16” AR

Thinking about an 6.5G upper to put on my 300BLK lower. That should cover me for almost anything hunting wise.

I’ve been using my 300BLK pistol for most of my hog hunting because it’s light and easy to use.

Let your nuts hang and SBR those pistols. 

11 hours ago, Handcruser said:

I’ve got a 556 pistol
I’ve got a 300BLK pistol
I’ve got a 300BLK 16” AR

You need something big and fun like one of those .45-70 Auto builds.

22 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Great for WT a d pigs.  Ballistics are similar to a 30-30 and they make hunting rounds for it. CZ makes a bolt gun chambered for it.  

Yep- it’s the Soviet 30-30 and the 30-30 has killed, oh I don’t know- eleventy billion whitetail.  Soft shooting round in a bolt gun- cheap Ammo to practice with. Great truck gun combo or perfect for a new, small framed shooter to learn and hunt with.  I’d love to have that CZ either with open sights or a LPVO.