The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

9 hours ago, 686 said:

One of the guys on a Sako collector’s forum took a photo while he was doing an inventory awhile back. I took a screen shot to show the wife when she says I have enough guns.

f9515e55936b78e2ef625fd383f5b121.jpg

I think it was @Armybrat that posted a similar Sako collectors picture a few years ago.  I’ve been working to add a few to the collection lately, and picked up a gorgeous early 60’s .243 that has a glass action.  I’ve been toting that one to the field more than anything last year.  Their mounts are kinda difficult, but the rest of the gun is so fine.   The last one that truly “got away” was a L461 in .222 in a stunning custom maple stock. I asked the wife since I was out of state and wouldn’t be able to easily receive it.  Didn’t go over well so I passed on it and it sold, of course.  I’ve still yet to see anything close to it for even for double the price.  Getting pissed off just thinking about it tbh. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, 686 said:

One of the guys on a Sako collector’s forum took a photo while he was doing an inventory awhile back. I took a screen shot to show the wife when she says I have enough guns.

f9515e55936b78e2ef625fd383f5b121.jpg

My dad has a friend who does estate auctions.  He'll get calls from old widows (no pics).

Lady: "My husband had a few guns and I wanna sell them. Just a few, nbd.

Auctioneer: "OK, lemme take a look and give you and estimate.

Lady: "Thank you.  He always told me it was just a few guns and not much money."

(A few days pass.)

Auctioneer: "I added it all up, and your guns are worth...half a million dollars."

Lady: (starts crying)

Austioneer: "Is everything OK?"

Lady: "I gave him shit his whole life about buying too many guns, and now you're telling me I'm rich because of it?!"

Auctioneer: "Yuuuup"

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I never understood folks who acquire so many similar guns. I'd rather have one of everything. Variety is the spice of life.

An old man found an old bull fiddle with just one string and he loved it.  Sat every evening on the porch plucking that one string.

One day he and his wife went to town and saw a street musician playing chords on a 4 string fiddle.  

His wife turned to him and said "You've been doing it all wrong."

He laughed and said "Nah - looks to me like he's hunt'n for something.  I found what I like."

12 hours ago, BTW said:

Any .224 guys out there?  I'd like to put one together, but would love a review from someone who owns/shoots one. TIA

I wanted one for a while.  Figured it to be an AR 22-250ish round good for coyotes and culling doe.  Cooled on it once the ammo debacle occurred.  Fever seems to have gone away.

May but an upper one day but not searching for one now.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Need a spotting scope rec.

Looking to spend up to 300 on one. Doesn’t need a tripod, I have a really, really nice carbon fiber one for my canon camera. Anybody have one they own in that price range that they would suggest?

I was gonna say Leupold Green Ring. My wife paid $300 for mine about 10 years ago, but they are $479 now on Midway. But it is a great scope.

CHIEF

• Like 1

Buy.  Me.  A. Handgun.

Lady a few blocks over was beaten really badly by an intruder last week.  I own some shotguns and deer rifles.  Not a huge gun guy.  I have only fired a handgun on a few occasions.  Needs to be wife-friendly after we both receive the proper training.  Is a handgun the play here, or would a pump action shotgun be better?  Go.

Buy.  Me.  A. Handgun.

Lady a few blocks over was beaten really badly by an intruder last week.  I own some shotguns and deer rifles.  Not a huge gun guy.  I have only fired a handgun on a few occasions.  Needs to be wife-friendly after we both receive the proper training.  Is a handgun the play here, or would a pump action shotgun be better?  Go.

No kids in the house, something you can access quickly and use easily, and the lady won’t flinch when she pulls the trigger: go with a revolver. A good .38. They’re close to foolproof mechanically, easy to load and shoot, can keep it in a nightstand.

That said….you have to be able to get to it if someone is there….no guarantees. Best bet is good locks on all doors, and a loud alarm.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No kids in the house, something you can access quickly and use easily, and the lady won’t flinch when she pulls the trigger: go with a revolver. A good .38. They’re close to foolproof mechanically, easy to load and shoot, can keep it in a nightstand.

That said….you have to be able to get to it if someone is there….no guarantees. Best bet is good locks on all doors, and a loud alarm.

A hammerless .38 is what Mrs. CHIEF has. No safety, all she has to remember is point the end with the hole towards the bad guy.

SW38.jpg

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Buy.  Me.  A. Handgun.

An AR is the best bet for home defense. But if neither of your have any experience with guns, get a revolver with no hammer or an auto loading shotgun. Short stroking a pump in a high stress situation due to unfamiliarity is a mother fucker.
  • Hook 'Em 1

And a decent sized dog that will bark.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Short stroking a pump in a high stress situation due to unfamiliarity is a mother fucker.

I’m still mystified by this.  I’ve got an 870 with probably 100 flats run thru it and have never short stroked it or *any other malfunction, ever.  It’s maintenance includes 1) being saturated in corrosion X once hunt is over 2) oil wiped off 3) bore snake.     Of course the “highest stress” scenario it’s ever faced was hunting related, ducks dropping in, etc.   But I’ve seen a LOT of autos have issues.  I get the premise, just wondering how this became such a well known phenomenon that it’s a greater chance than a mechanical issue with an auto.   Maybe it comes from folks who have had a pump under the mattress for 20 years and then had to use it one night? 

*Ive had ejection problems hunting with rusty shells from previous years bay hunts. But that’s 100% expected and have had those same issues in my OUs.  

Buy.  Me.  A. Handgun.

German Sheppard or Rottweiler is a much better solution. I think so many people over estimate their ability to use a firearm in self defense. Myself included
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, midtown said:

German Sheppard or Rottweiler is a much better solution. I think so many people over estimate their ability to use a firearm in self defense. Myself included

I’ve got an old, lazy lab.  She barks fine, which deters a good amount of potential intruders, but I am unsure of her ability to take down an intruder at this point in her life.  She might surprise me, animals have a way of doing that when they feel threatened, but I have to pick her up and put her in the car these days.

Edited by conVINCEd

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m still mystified by this.  I’ve got an 870 with probably 100 flats run thru it and have never short stroked it or *any other malfunction, ever.  It’s maintenance includes 1) being saturated in corrosion X once hunt is over 2) oil wiped off 3) bore snake.     Of course the “highest stress” scenario it’s ever faced was hunting related, ducks dropping in, etc.   But I’ve seen a LOT of autos have issues.  I get the premise, just wondering how this became such a well known phenomenon that it’s a greater chance than a mechanical issue with an auto.   Maybe it comes from folks who have had a pump under the mattress for 20 years and then had to use it one night? 

*Ive had ejection problems hunting with rusty shells from previous years bay hunts. But that’s 100% expected and have had those same issues in my OUs.  

I think the "short-stroke under stress" is considered an issue when talking about someone who isn't well practiced with said shotgun.

I've never heard an "expert" say that is a concern except when in the context of home defense for an unseasoned shooter.

You've got muscle memory that is almost guaranteed to overcome a stress-induced short stroke.  Someone who puts 5 rounds down the tube and then puts it into the closet isn't going to have that luxury.  That's my perception of the argument anyway......YMMV

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

You've got muscle memory that is almost guaranteed to overcome a stress-induced short stroke.  Someone who puts 5 rounds down the tube and then puts it into the closet isn't going to have that luxury.  That's my perception of the argument anyway......YMMV

Yeah as I typed it all out and was thinking a bit more, that kind of dawned on me.  95% or better I bet that aren’t really into guns but keep one for home defense probably don’t shoot much at all, of ever.  I’m just one of those that don’t like leaving things of that nature to chance. Revolver, pump, or double barrel for me, please. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 686 said:

I taught my 11 and 8 year old girls how to shoot a rifle today. Took it slow and easy. Started at 50 yards or so off the tailgate with me holding the gun and them squeezing the trigger, etc and then progressed to them shooting alone and then backed up to 100 off the bench. 11 yr old is right handed but left eye dominant we figured out pretty quickly so I set her up left handed. She was ringing a big gong at 100 yards consistently and having a great time; said she’d “love to do it again soon”. Huge, huge day for me.

5563677c8948ba2b3b74bc2fe75a677b.jpg

Do they make pink ammo to go with the pink gun?  J/K, glad your daughters had a good experience.

18 minutes ago, 686 said:

I taught my 11 and 8 year old girls how to shoot a rifle today. Took it slow and easy. Started at 50 yards or so off the tailgate with me holding the gun and them squeezing the trigger, etc and then progressed to them shooting alone and then backed up to 100 off the bench. 11 yr old is right handed but left eye dominant we figured out pretty quickly so I set her up left handed. She was ringing a big gong at 100 yards consistently and having a great time; said she’d “love to do it again soon”. Huge, huge day for me.

Hell yeah.  I taught my 9yo daughter to start shooting last year, and she took to it like crazy.  By the end of the first box, she had set up shop inside the 10 ring and wasn’t slipping.  Best thing I ever did was set her up on a very custom target 10/22. Heavy heavy heavy, obv no recoil, and very easy to succeed. I need to get her a small caliber bolt gun like you have there.  I think I’ve landed on a CZ 457 in .17, and when I find the right wood it’ll be on. 

I know that feeling brother, savor it.  

• Like 1

Do they make pink ammo to go with the pink gun?  J/K, glad your daughters had a good experience.

On a serious note: anything that makes shooting more approachable to them and lowers the barrier to entry is a good idea. I tried getting them to shoot my grandad’s old Winchester 22 last year, but it’s too big and they couldn’t get setup on it right and they lost interest pretty quick. They don’t even want to touch my big rifles; but they instantly knew this thing was designed for them and looked fun, wanted to do a pretty long dry firing session at the house when I got it out and showed them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 686 said:

On a serious note: anything that makes shooting more approachable to them and lowers the barrier to entry is a good idea. I tried getting them to shoot my grandad’s old Winchester 22 last year, but it’s too big and they couldn’t get setup on it right and they lost interest pretty quick. They don’t even want to touch my big rifles; but they instantly knew this thing was designed for them and looked fun, wanted to do a pretty long dry firing session at the house when I got it out and showed them.

I’m not a big gun guy.  See upthread about me seeking advice about a handgun.  I’m not anti-gun either, it’s just not a huge hobby for me.  I just thought the pink gun merited a comment.

Buy.  Me.  A. Handgun.

A great self defense pistol is a Taurus Judge. It shoots .410 shotgun rounds, 45 cal as well if I’m not mistaken. I only use it for .410. Load it up with bb or 2 shot. Probably will kill them but if not they won’t be aggressive. Plus in a high adrenaline type of situation you don’t have to be exact on bullet placement with a shotgun pattern.

Plus, shooting skeet with a pistol is kick ass.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m not a big gun guy.  See upthread about me seeking advice about a handgun.  I’m not anti-gun either, it’s just not a huge hobby for me.  I just thought the pink gun merited a comment.

I get it completely. A few years ago I was just as surprised seeing a pink gun as you. If we as a society had made firearms/marksmanship/hunting more approachable/normal to girls/women decades ago, how different things might be. We need women engaged to help “normalize” these rights/activities if we are going to maintain any semblance of the country we grew up in over the next several decades.
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 1:46 PM, conVINCEd said:

Buy.  Me.  A. Handgun.

Smith and Wesson Governor or Taurus judge, loaded with .410 shells. 
dead simple, hard to miss at short range, no risk of shooting through a wall and killing the wrong person.

but agree with The Dog, above- a good sized adult dog with a strong protective instinct is the best defense your home can have. 

21 hours ago, 686 said:

Good times.  My daughter is RH, LED too.  I bought her a Browning SA-22 semiauto 22LR for plinking when she was younger and she has shot a couple of thousand rounds through it. The bottom ejection is great for shooting LHed.  

• Like 1

Can't see the description, but it looks like a S&W Airweight.  Should be a 6-series for Stainless.

I'd guess a 642.  Hell yes.  Fool proof, easy to handle, and not hard to practice.

Shooting .38 training loads would be easy for even the smallest shooter.

Couple of trips to the range and 100 rounds would make even a true novice capable.  Brush up on familiarity and work on technique a few times per year with some "continuing education" and you'd be good to go.

Loaded with standard or +P defensive rounds  and it would ruin someone's day if they were threatening you and/or your wife.

I don't mind the above recommendations for a Judge or Governor, but those are hulking and heavy handguns.  Not easy for a small framed or small handed shooter.

Nothing wrong with them, but at that weight, you might as well look at a small shotgun for a woman or someone else slight of stature.

My thoughts, and it could be completely wrong because I’m a long arm guy.  I’ve always done better with heavier, mid length barrel revolvers.  The others are too snappy for me.   But as far was S&W, I don’t think you’ll find anyone except the strongest of Colt guys who’ll not approve of it.  But there are experts in handguns here, and I am not one. 

12 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Can't see the description, but it looks like a S&W Airweight.  Should be a 6-series for Stainless.

I'd guess a 642.  Hell yes.  Fool proof, easy to handle, and not hard to practice.

Shooting .38 training loads would be easy for even the smallest shooter.

Couple of trips to the range and 100 rounds would make even a true novice capable.  Brush up on familiarity and work on technique a few times per year with some "continuing education" and you'd be good to go.

Loaded with standard or +P defensive rounds  and it would ruin someone's day if they were threatening you and/or your wife.

I don't mind the above recommendations for a Judge or Governor, but those are hulking and heavy handguns.  Not easy for a small framed or small handed shooter.

Nothing wrong with them, but at that weight, you might as well look at a small shotgun for a woman or someone else slight of stature.

642 is correct.  Their website is jacked up with a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo such that I couldn’t gett the model and picture in the same picture.

Edited by conVINCEd