The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Why the range officer is so important.  He knew something was up, as he was right behind them to start.  They've seen much shit over the years they have to have a strong intuition about idiots.  Old guy at the Garland Gun range.  He'll put the ever living fear of god in you.  Crusty old SOB with a 1911 on his hip the whole time.  Saw him chew the ass off some Asian guy that was ignoring the cease fire announcements.  

Also why I always try to get one of the bays on the end, just so I have a wall on one side and all the others I can keep an eye on.  

How long ago was that?

Mrs. Brat’s cousin used to be an RO there years ago. He toted a 1911... Big rotund dude named Bobby.

15 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

How long ago was that?

Mrs. Brat’s cousin used to be an RO there years ago. He toted a 1911... Big rotund dude named Bobby.

Last year.  Not too long ago.  I want to say they were Korean, but they were either ignoring or oblivious to the RO's instructions and keep shooting during the cease fire.  I had both kids dialing in their 22-250 and .223's for the season and man.....this dude came off the porch.  Lit them up and I was giggling like a school girl.  

I'm in the market for a pistol and I found a private party seller locally that has one on the internets.  So far, seller seems legit but only has 1 listing on GB, member since 2013.  Beyond a bill of sale, a heightened sense of awareness, and a public meeting space, does anyone have any recommendations on best practices for not getting robbed and/or murdered? 

Edited by Lazarus Bocanegra
more infoz

I’ve done a dozen buys/sells using tgt. I met at an academy parking lot, toward the back of the lot. No issues ever.

I’ve heard TGT has more attempts at fraud but haven’t heard of robberies.

With gunbroker I always had them ship it so I can’t speak to a FTF transaction with a GB seller. Did you pay online and are picking up in person? Or are you paying in person?

You may check to see if the same pistol is listed on TGT.

Bill of sale won’t help you so far as I can tell.

You could bring a friend in the car if you have one available.

Daytime better than nights.

1 hour ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

I'm in the market for a pistol and I found a private party seller locally that has one on the internets.  So far, seller seems legit but only has 1 listing on GB, member since 2013.  Beyond a bill of sale, a heightened sense of awareness, and a public meeting space, does anyone have any recommendations on best practices for not getting robbed and/or murdered? 

I've met guys I knew of from forums like this and guys from places like TGT.  I prefer the former.  When I did meet the guys from TGT (two sales and one purchase) I met them in a parking lot of a public place like Academy or a Gas station.  I also made sure I talked to them got a sense of where they worked, etc.  I told them up front I expected them to sign a BoS and that I wanted to see their drivers or CHL ID.  The BOS had a statement that they were not prohibited from purchasing/ owning a firearm in Texas.  The last couple things are to kind of spook anyone with ill intent.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

Meet at a shooting range....;)

I’ve done a few through ARF.com, TGT and the XDforum.

I stay away from strange requests that smell of scams like send part of the money as good faith or stuff like that. I’ve met with most of them in public parking areas with obvious CCTV etc.

And once found out I was buying ammo from a guy in my own building.

• Hook 'Em 1

This guy is on TGT,  I was wrong above.  Would be a face to face.  I thought about meeting up at Hot Wells in NW Houston, but I think an Academy would suffice.  Worst part about it is I've been planning to hit up the gun show this weekend, but then this guy comes along with a post that pretty much ticks all my boxes, and I'm anxious not to let it get away.   I've got half a mind to go ahead and buy it and take it to the gun show and see if there's a deal to be made.  

• Like 1

A lot of police stations nowadays, including the one here in Sugar Land, have a "Craigslist zone" in their parking lot where people can meet to consummate online transactions. Yours might too. That will cut down real quick on anyone with ill intent. 

That’s smart.

I’ve almost done a deal at the local PD parking lot before.

22 hours ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

This guy is on TGT,  I was wrong above.  Would be a face to face.  I thought about meeting up at Hot Wells in NW Houston, but I think an Academy would suffice.  Worst part about it is I've been planning to hit up the gun show this weekend, but then this guy comes along with a post that pretty much ticks all my boxes, and I'm anxious not to let it get away.   I've got half a mind to go ahead and buy it and take it to the gun show and see if there's a deal to be made.  

FYI - Hot Wells shut down their rifle and pistol ranges. The skeet range is still open for members only. 

Dude on TGT took his listing down and stopped responding to texts so I went to the HCGA show this weekend with a fat pocket, looking for a .357, 4” barrel, fixed sights. I came upon this Dan Wesson 14-2 (c. 1980) and took it home with a couple boxes of shotshells, .38sp and .357. On the way out the door I spied a random holster on a table that fit like a glove, so I threw the ole chap $40 for it and left with money left in my pocket. Satisfied. Can’t wait to put some rounds down range this weekend. And here’s hoping I jump that big coyote again too. I’ll be quicker on the draw this time

b0132143f00aa0beb399b434ab5fef5f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

Dude on TGT took his listing down and stopped responding to texts so I went to the HCGA show this weekend with a fat pocket, looking for a .357, 4” barrel, fixed sights. I came upon this Dan Wesson 14-2 (c. 1980) and took it home with a couple boxes of shotshells, .38sp and .357. On the way out the door I spied a random holster on a table that fit like a glove, so I threw the ole chap $40 for it and left with money left in my pocket. Satisfied. Can’t wait to put some rounds down range this weekend. And here’s hoping I jump that big coyote again too. I’ll be quicker on the draw this time

b0132143f00aa0beb399b434ab5fef5f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A man who prefers the classics.  Old revolvers and Drakkar Noir.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Speaking of 45-70, holy shit!

450159703_ScreenShot2022-03-30at13_46_02.png.1dc4cb46792a673a9bb985c440ee4bdc.png

Yeah I saw that after someone mentioned one on the last page. Think it fell down the list a bit for me now :(   Or maybe finding a completely beat to shit one on the cheap and having mad pig or someone do something custom with it. 

20 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I mean the price. That's twice what it was a year ago. 

That's what I'm saying. I think noharley or someone posted theirs, and I looked them up because I don't have that slot filled, and was taken away with what they cost now.  $2700 opens up ALOT of options, and if you could find a neglected one to get customized, would be about the same price as new now.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I have the same gun except with the brown wood laminate stock and a blued barrel. I put a red dot on it and it can put the hurt on a heavy gong from 150 yards.

Looking back, I paid $649 for it in 2018, so that's 25% of what they want for this one, which is admittedly fancier but not that much fancier.

45-70 auto is cool. Now I'm pretty sure I need one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I bought this 45-70 from a lady that only shot it a couple of times, she decided she would rather have the same gun in a 30-30. I paid her $900 for the gun and scope. This was about 7 years ago though. Crazy how expensive these have become. Mine is the longer barrel version and doesn’t have the cowboy loop lever.

22C4D5E9-5DB1-41EE-81B2-7A5E045565C2.png

• Drool 1

Question for the experts.  I've got a pretty sizeable "arsenal" of my late dad's, ranging back to the 1940s.  I don't really shoot much these days, but I have a weird need to keep some of them.  But I'm considering selling off some.  What's the best way to go about that to maximize the cash received on my end? 

Question for the experts.  I've got a pretty sizeable "arsenal" of my late dad's, ranging back to the 1940s.  I don't really shoot much these days, but I have a weird need to keep some of them.  But I'm considering selling off some.  What's the best way to go about that to maximize the cash received on my end? 

Hmmm. First, post here and be ready to get Best Buy Cupins.

Perhaps reviewing gunbroker listings to see what similar items sold for might help give you an idea. Maybe then either go to a gun show and sit in the lot selling to those as they come out without having bought any of the overpriced crap inside.

Or list on Texas Gun Trader. One. At. A. Time.

Or just straight gunbroker all you intend to sell and let the market dictate the value.

It’s not an easy path to maximize profits. If you have the time sell slowly and research each item before pricing.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thanks.  A guy I know from high school has a gun business in Houston.  But that would require my getting in touch. 

Don't need any best buy coupons, but if anyone has cash, I'll at least mention the one that seems to fetch the most on the market of what I own:  1940 Winchester Model 70 .270.  Hasn't been fired in a long while, but looks to be in pretty good condition for its age.

Be sure to look at completed sales vs. listing price on gunbroker and other sites because there are a lot of listings at prices that never sell…. Listers hope for wild ass price and keep reposting with unrealistic reserve prices. 

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Be sure to look at completed sales vs. listing price on gunbroker and other sites because there are a lot of listings at prices that never sell…. Listers hope for wild ass price and keep reposting with unrealistic reserve prices. 

Oh, yeah.  For sure.  I also have a small guitar collection and I don't buy much anymore because people have lost their damned minds on the asking prices in the last couple of years. 

Edited by dcbc

On 4/1/2022 at 8:36 PM, Armybrat said:

A pre-64 Model 70 can vary between $600 to $2,000 depending on condition. Decent ones online for $800-$1500 if they haven’t been Bubba’d up. Just a ball park guess.

.270 is less common and can be more valuable. If you really want to ball park everything, get a Blue Book of Gun Values and look up the individual guns. Then price them in that range on gunbroker or similar, and you will likely get even more. You just need to justify a high value and then scarcity, demand, and psychology take over. 

But I'd keep at least one pre-64 Model 70 just to have. They are one of the finest guns ever made.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/1/2022 at 7:49 PM, dcbc said:

Thanks.  A guy I know from high school has a gun business in Houston.  But that would require my getting in touch. 

Don't need any best buy coupons, but if anyone has cash, I'll at least mention the one that seems to fetch the most on the market of what I own:  1940 Winchester Model 70 .270.  Hasn't been fired in a long while, but looks to be in pretty good condition for its age.

If you do get in touch he could offer to buy outright or go the consignment route.  Either way he is going to factor in overhead and profit into what he offers.  On other non-gun items I have sold on consignment I set the price but paid 30% fee for it going through a store.

I am interested in both the .270 and the .30-30.  Those would definitely sell here.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

How do you like those grips?

I like them a lot.  I have very big hands.  For me it was painful to shoot that gun with the original grips, especially the bear loads I run through it.  With the Hogue monogrip I can shoot it all day without much discomfort.  It's not the prettiest thing, but this gun is function over everything.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1