The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Somebody paid $10-large for a Marlin 336 on Gunbroker.  Several really outlandish sales recently.  Not just people bidding stuff up 10-20% higher than market, but $1000’s.

There have been a string of things like this.  This is not a one-off. People are starting to ask questions. 

I’m trying to figure out the game.  Money laundering….or is some dude terminally ill and mid divorce, trying to grudge-waste his money so a soon to be ex can’t? 

You Paid What???

Edited by Reagan1k

13 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Somebody paid $10-large for a Marlin 336 on Gunbroker.  Several really outlandish sales recently.  Not just people bidding stuff up 10-20% higher than market, but $1000’s.

There have been a string of things like this.  This is not a one-off. People are starting to ask questions. 

I’m trying to figure out the game.  Money laundering….or is some dude terminally ill and mid divorce, trying to grudge-waste his money so on a soon to be ex can’t? 

You Paid What???

Check out auctions here periodically and people pay a lot for used stuff that is far cheaper new.  I maybe can understand somewhat for an antique but not guns that have an estimated value. One of the strangest things I've seen at an auction is 6 random shotgun shells sell for $36.  For some, auctions are about winning more so than the items.   

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Does that only come in compact?  Because I like the idea, but I'm never gonna carry

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Ton of hammer-fired CZ options (with an external safety) is you want a full size.  

Thank you, but I don't want an import, as good as a CZ may be.  I want Made in USA.  

I had a bug to buy a 9 a while back, and it was pretty much Sig or Beretta that checked the boxes.  I put off the purchase when ammo got so stupid expensive, but lately I'm getting the itch again. 

Edited by Gil Bang

9 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Thank you, but I don't want an import, as good as a CZ may be.  I want Made in USA.  

I had a bug to buy a 9 a while back, and it was pretty much Sig or Beretta that checked the boxes.  I put off the purchase when ammo got so stupid expensive, but lately I'm getting the itch again. 

Two excellent choices ( I prefer Sig, but that's just me).  If you really want to support the local community, buy from a small business owner and not a big chain like Cabela's or Scheels, etc.  

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Two excellent choices ( I prefer Sig, but that's just me).  If you really want to support the local community, buy from a small business owner and not a big chain like Cabela's or Scheels, etc.  

I agree. I prefer to buy mom and pop.  Guns, bikes, etc.  

And I prefer sig too, but man, they are pricey.  I had considered asking my kid if he'd prefer to inherit a Sig, and if so, he needs to fork over 400 bucks.  

7 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I agree. I prefer to buy mom and pop.  Guns, bikes, etc.  

And I prefer sig too, but man, they are pricey.  I had considered asking my kid if he'd prefer to inherit a Sig, and if so, he needs to fork over 400 bucks.  

Have you look at the PX4?

4 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I want metal, not plastic.  Hammer not striker, and a "real" safety. 

Hmmm, then Beretta 92F?  Those are not cheap either, but not as much as a Sig (model depending).  I still go back to CZ on this based upon your given criteria.  They are fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm a Sig fanboi.  Bought a P228 in 2000 that I still love and a P226 a couple of years ago because I wanted the rails to hang a light on for home defense.  I didn't like the long reset original trigger on the 226 but switched it out for a short reset and am very very happy with it now.

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Hmmm, then Beretta 92F?  Those are not cheap either, but not as much as a Sig (model depending).  I still go back to CZ on this based upon your given criteria.  They are fantastic.

Yeah, the 92 is the one I was figuring on buying, before ammo got so expensive.  I figure that I will end up there before long. I've shot one and I liked it just fine, and I figure that I can learn to love it.  

I've got pretty big hands and it felt pretty good. 

At the end of the day, I'm a .22 guy...just a plinker.  I have a place out in the middle of nowhere california desert where I can shoot, and 22 is my weapon of choice, and the wily beer can is my usual prey. 

The .22 is the best caliber ever, and I will fight anybody that says otherwise. 

Edited by Gil Bang

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

The .22 is the best caliber ever, and I will fight anybody that says otherwise. 

End of the world or severe survival situation....100%.  Small rifle and a small pistol and thousands of rounds of ammo = decent rate of making it out alive.  It's cheap, easy to practice with.  It of course has severe limitations in most practical matters, but I've probably fired thousands upon thousands of rounds of it over the years.  

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Yeah, the 92 is the one I was figuring on buying, before ammo got so expensive.  I figure that I will end up there before long. I've shot one and I liked it just fine, and I figure that I can learn to love it.  

Is there a range near of a place you can rent and try out various options?  Seen lots of people do tons of research on what they "think" they are going to like, only to buy it, shoot it, and then realize not so much?

18 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I want metal, not plastic.  Hammer not striker, and a "real" safety. 

Beretta 92

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

The Beretta is the one that I've fired.  I liked it.  It fit me.  

The Sig is sexier, but I've never fired one.  I'd certainly test-drive one before spending that kind of dough. 

Yeah, I have two of the PX4s (Sub-compact and Full) and will carry them but I still want a 92.  I even already bought Mags for the 92.  I have shot a standard FS and an INOX and now I think I want a 92-M9A1

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

End of the world or severe survival situation....100%.  Small rifle and a small pistol and thousands of rounds of ammo = decent rate of making it out alive.  It's cheap, easy to practice with.  It of course has severe limitations in most practical matters, but I've probably fired thousands upon thousands of rounds of it over the years.  

I'm no prepper but I will not let my stash fall below 25k rounds of .22lr and 2500 rounds of .22mag.

Doubles as cheap insurance and currency at the same time.  

Csx. I’ve played with them a bunch. Nice trigger - but not sure why it’s made.

Ive yet to shoot one (I’m not buying one) but will probably get a chance in the next few months.

52 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I'm no prepper but I will not let my stash fall below 25k rounds of .22lr and 2500 rounds of .22mag.

Doubles as cheap insurance and currency at the same time.  

Yep!  Same.  .22mag out of my kel-tec at night is rather glorious!

Got a scope mounted on the titanium Weatherby I bought off gunbroker and took it to the range Sunday. Groups tightened up at about the 20 round mark; I need more range time with the gun, but it’s a lightweight handy rig. I probably should have gone with medium Talleys instead of the highs, but the scope picture/cheek weld works for me with the highs.

632d299d174eabeb1a39a9c002edf1ac.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I have both the 10/22 and a Marlin Model 60. Prefer shooting the Marlin but the tubular magazine is kind of limiting. With the Ruger you can just pop in a new mag or even get 30 or 100 round mags. 

I like my Win. 9422, smooth as silk, but am not a fan of loading the tubular magazine.

5E885A43-59E8-4173-BBAF-9B4C3D04259A.jpeg

PSA: Century is running a $200 rebate on the MP5 clones they import from MKE.  I’ve got a Zenith Z5P when Zenith was importing MKE.  Last thing I need is another 9mm PCC, but $1400 for the full sized version is tempting me.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/century-arms-ap5-pistol-hg6034-n-787450668539

https://atlanticfirearms.com/century-arms-ap5-p-9mm-pistol-mke-turkey

On 3/17/2022 at 8:50 PM, williemackgarza said:

e4f37266d34fec53e23770e7adcf2e3f.jpg
Got the benelli lupo .243 all set up. Now ready for some range time.
Gonna try some 87gr VLDs.
For my boy to use for deer, hogs and whatever else might step out.
Gonna give him a shot on a buck next year.
Im gonna use it a ton Id bet as well

What's the scope?

e4f37266d34fec53e23770e7adcf2e3f.jpg
Got the benelli lupo .243 all set up. Now ready for some range time.
Gonna try some 87gr VLDs.
For my boy to use for deer, hogs and whatever else might step out.
Gonna give him a shot on a buck next year.
Im gonna use it a ton Id bet as well

Got a Rem Mohawk 600 in 243 that loves 70 and 95 grn ballistic tips. 70grn on top of varget are bad medicine on called coyotes.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

what a dumbfuck

Why the range officer is so important.  He knew something was up, as he was right behind them to start.  They've seen much shit over the years they have to have a strong intuition about idiots.  Old guy at the Garland Gun range.  He'll put the ever living fear of god in you.  Crusty old SOB with a 1911 on his hip the whole time.  Saw him chew the ass off some Asian guy that was ignoring the cease fire announcements.  

Also why I always try to get one of the bays on the end, just so I have a wall on one side and all the others I can keep an eye on.